Iowa Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiger1

UIUC-VMSP (DVM/PhD) Y2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Iowa interview is on the 26th. I confirmed over the phone that the school has received my confirmation fax last week. But, I have not received any additional correspondence in regards to the activities for that day (tour, talk...). I did receive the email reminder regarding FAFSA.

For those who already interviewed at Iowa, do you remember if you received an iterinary for the day? I know my interview time in the afternoon, and I will definitely arrive early in the day to the administration office. But, when does the day start?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I received an itinerary via e-mail 2 days before my interview. That was the only form of "confirmation" I had about the interview, other than having spoken with someone. My interview was before 12pm and everyone had to be there at 7:15am-- it makes for a long day but they have things to keep you busy. Students to talk with, a tour of the school, etc. The Dean did his spiel at 7:45am then they started in on the first round of interviews. Good luck!

I received an itinerary via e-mail 2 days before my interview. That was the only form of "confirmation" I had about the interview, other than having spoken with someone. My interview was before 12pm and everyone had to be there at 7:15am-- it makes for a long day but they have things to keep you busy. Students to talk with, a tour of the school, etc. The Dean did his spiel at 7:45am then they started in on the first round of interviews. Good luck!

carrbear21--Did you have to stay to any certain time? I've planned my schedule so I arrive in the afternoon the day before my interview so I can get some stuff (tour, etc.) done. But I'll have to leave by maybe 2pm the day of my interview. I didn't get the impression from Brenda et al at Iowa State that this would be a problem. From your experience, do you think it will be fine?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview at 11am last week and they had you do all the necessary activities (lab coat sizing, tours, laptop demonstration) before the interview so you could leave right after if you wanted to. I chose to stay and do a tour of Ames since I didn't have to get to the airport for a few hours. I don't think you will have a problem if you need to leave.

Thanks Carrbear21. Now I can sit back and wait for the email confirmation rather than call Brenda at Iowa for an itinerary. Good Luck with your interview VAgirl.

Iowa will be my first vet school interview, so I am kind of nervous. I just have to sell what I know, and hope that the interviewer do not ask too many technical questions about clinical care or detailed questions concerning current issues in the field. My background is in science (5 years of basic science research using mouse model) and business (quality assurance in the medical field, practical experience in management and MBA coursework). I volunteer with a private small animal veterinarian who lets me do restraints, load syringes, fecal tests, dog walks, and other minor things because he is short-staffed. The problem is that I do not remember any particular detail about cases, although I do understand the scientific basis for his actions. My other animal/vet experience is in zoo medicine where I am a docent and I volunteered with the zoo vet. This is the experience that has made the most impression on me because it is fitting to my interest and background. However, again as I daydreamed about my upcoming interviews, I format specific questions about zoo medicine that I do not know about. Am I thinking too much? How technical/detailed are the interviews?

Thanks Carrbear21. Now I can sit back and wait for the email confirmation rather than call Brenda at Iowa for an itinerary. Good Luck with your interview VAgirl.

Iowa will be my first vet school interview, so I am kind of nervous. I just have to sell what I know, and hope that the interviewer do not ask too many technical questions about clinical care or detailed questions concerning current issues in the field. My background is in science (5 years of basic science research using mouse model) and business (quality assurance in the medical field, practical experience in management and MBA coursework). I volunteer with a private small animal veterinarian who lets me do restraints, load syringes, fecal tests, dog walks, and other minor things because he is short-staffed. The problem is that I do not remember any particular detail about cases, although I do understand the scientific basis for his actions. My other animal/vet experience is in zoo medicine where I am a docent and I volunteered with the zoo vet. This is the experience that has made the most impression on me because it is fitting to my interest and background. However, again as I daydreamed about my upcoming interviews, I format specific questions about zoo medicine that I do not know about. Am I thinking too much? How technical/detailed are the interviews?

None of my questions were technical...they were all situational. If you search for behavioral interview questions you should get a good idea of what they are going to ask. The interview was also closed file, so they know nothing about you going in....just sell yourself!

Thanks kekemapa04. I feel better about my behavior interview now. It is exciting to think that after all the volunteering and researching the field, we are all so close to the finish line. Soon (hopefully) we will transition into apartment searching and waiting for FAFSA-college specific reports.

carrbear21--Did you have to stay to any certain time? I've planned my schedule so I arrive in the afternoon the day before my interview so I can get some stuff (tour, etc.) done. But I'll have to leave by maybe 2pm the day of my interview. I didn't get the impression from Brenda et al at Iowa State that this would be a problem. From your experience, do you think it will be fine?

Thanks!

Sorry- I just checked this thread today! If you're in the morning and have to leave by 2pm you'll be fine. We were really all done by 1. They have 1 hour blocks of "activities" (interview time, display "hall", tour of building. The only thing that may take a little longer is a tour of Ames- but that is INCREDIBLY short-- not too much to see other than the school).

I interviewed this past weekend. Right after the interview, I thought that I did okay because it felt like the interviewers and I talked for 1hr. But, now thinking back I realized that I forgot to mention some things that might be relevant. I guess that's the problem with close-file, you can't talk about everything. The conversation just takes on a life of its own. I filed out a survey of the Interview Feedback site about my interview.

I think Iowa will be interviewing some more contract states this coming weekend.

I have a FAFSA question... on the FAFSA form I will be using my tax info. from last year and the government is going to calculate my contribution from that. But I am an independent and I do not plan to work the first semester of school...does the school administrator automatically know that I will lose all income as a full-time student or do I need to make a special note of it on the form. Prior to attending the FAFSA information session at Iowa this weekend, I assumed that this would be an obvious issue. However, Clay the administrator explained that FAFSA is black and white and I think that he mentioned that we need to make a special note that we are going to be losing our job when we enter Vet School. Of course, the FAFSA session was before my interview so I wasn't paying too much attention.

I interviewed this past weekend. Right after the interview, I thought that I did okay because it felt like the interviewers and I talked for 1hr. But, now thinking back I realized that I forgot to mention some things that might be relevant. I guess that's the problem with close-file, you can't talk about everything. The conversation just takes on a life of its own. I filed out a survey of the Interview Feedback site about my interview.

I think Iowa will be interviewing some more contract states this coming weekend.

I have a FAFSA question... on the FAFSA form I will be using my tax info. from last year and the government is going to calculate my contribution from that. But I am an independent and I do not plan to work the first semester of school...does the school administrator automatically know that I will lose all income as a full-time student or do I need to make a special note of it on the form. Prior to attending the FAFSA information session at Iowa this weekend, I assumed that this would be an obvious issue. However, Clay the administrator explained that FAFSA is black and white and I think that he mentioned that we need to make a special note that we are going to be losing our job when we enter Vet School. Of course, the FAFSA session was before my interview so I wasn't paying too much attention.

There is a special form, the Special Conditions Form, I believe it's called, that you fill out to indicate this. It's not on the FAFSA. To find it on the ISU website, Clay said it's located under "Forms," then "All Other Forms." He also said it won't be up until late February. You can also call him with questions. He seemed very willing to help.

Thanks VAGirl- the special form on the Iowa website makes more sense. Do you know if all schools have that type of form? For those of us who are independent, single and currently working full-time, shouldn't it be assumed that we are going to quit our jobs (i.e. lose the income) for veterinarian school...

Thanks VAGirl- the special form on the Iowa website makes more sense. Do you know if all schools have that type of form? For those of us who are independent, single and currently working full-time, shouldn't it be assumed that we are going to quit our jobs (i.e. lose the income) for veterinarian school...

I asked Clay if all schools did that and he seemed to think they did or would. So I don't have specifics, but you can bet it's something I'm going to be asking about at all the schools to which I've applied! Before that info session, I had just assumed that people in our situation just sort of got screwed when it came to the first year financial aid determination/FAFSA. But apparently the system isn't completely insane and allows those of us currently making money but about to enter pauperdom to fill out forms to that effect. Yay! :) (Not for going broke, but, you know. :))

I am bringing back the Iowa thread because according to the information I got when I interviewed on the 26th...we should be getting the decision this Friday via email and USPS. I am both nervous and excited. I am an OOS. I keep going back and forth in my mind about my chances. I received two interview invites so far-- Iowa and Illinois. I am interviewing for IL next Monday, 18th. So, I still don't know whether I will be a vet student this fall. I just need one acceptance to set my life straight.

Good luck to everyone who interviewed at Iowa. Did Iowa interview In-Staters also? Four more days!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am bringing back the Iowa thread because according to the information I got when I interviewed on the 26th...we should be getting the decision this Friday via email and USPS. I am both nervous and excited. I am an OOS. I keep going back and forth in my mind about my chances. I received two interview invites so far-- Iowa and Illinois. I am interviewing for IL next Monday, 18th. So, I still don't know whether I will be a vet student this fall. I just need one acceptance to set my life straight.

Good luck to everyone who interviewed at Iowa. Did Iowa interview In-Staters also? Four more days!!!

Maybe you'll get lucky and get them early! Last year the emails went out the afternoon before we were told they would be sent (i.e. went out the 14th, not the 15th). It did however make for a great Valentines Day gift at least for some of us! Good luck!!

I didn't hear anything about emails, just USPS. Are they sending emails, too? That would be consistent with the interview invites. I hadn't dared to hope. :) Yay, fun!

I didn't hear anything about emails, just USPS. Are they sending emails, too? That would be consistent with the interview invites. I hadn't dared to hope. :) Yay, fun!

E-mails AND USPS go out on the 15th. This is the response I got from ISU when I asked:
Ad Comm meets on February 12 (TOMORROW!!!!) to review all Non-resident/Non-contract interviewees to make final decisions. Final decisions will be sent via email and USPS mail on February 15. Decisions that will be sent to all 355 people interviewed will state their status (Accepted, Alternate List, Deny).

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!! :D

Oh man!! My heart started racing when I read that :scared:!!!!! I am definitely trying to not get my hopes up though...

Good luck to all of you!! Iowa isn't all that bad...okay, who am I kidding? :p The vet school is fine though...and the faculty are great. Not to mention the students...;) (proud member class of 2011 here). Anywho, good luck again and perhaps I'll be seeing you next year. :D

Let's all imagine the admission committee talking about our file today. Three more days of waiting...

Good luck to all of you!! Iowa isn't all that bad...okay, who am I kidding? :p The vet school is fine though...and the faculty are great. Not to mention the students...;) (proud member class of 2011 here). Anywho, good luck again and perhaps I'll be seeing you next year. :D

Guess it depends on what you are looking for. I thought Ames was a great little college town. Nice place to have a family, and close enough to a mid-size city. It is definitely still on my list.

Guess it depends on what you are looking for. I thought Ames was a great little college town. Nice place to have a family, and close enough to a mid-size city. It is definitely still on my list.

I don't disagree...I've been here 7 years now and have started my family here. Its just not where I would prefer to live...I am only here for school until I can get back to the mountains. I've given several tours to interviewees and I've heard from them (and my classmates) how different Iowa is than what they're used to. Like I said, its not all bad...some of us just won't choose to make it a permanent place of residence.

I absolutely loved Iowa! Coming from a tiny podunk town in the middle of Washington, it seems like a 100% upgrade to me! I am definitely looking forward to Friday!:D

Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow! May it be filled with GOOD VET SCHOOL VIBES! :)

:luck::luck::luck::luck:2 days to go...:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Here's hopin' we all feel the love today!!! :love:

(I meant from Iowa State in the form of acceptances. But I suppose I could have also meant feeling the romantic love because it's Valentine's Day. Well, in any case, I hope the day is wonderful to all of us, regardless of where the love comes from. :))

Good Luck to everyone praying they notify us today!!:luck: Being the SDN stalker that I am, I looked up last years thread, and people started receiving emails around 3pm pacific time! Here's hoping they do it like last year!!!!

Good Luck to everyone praying they notify us today!!:luck: Being the SDN stalker that I am, I looked up last years thread, and people started receiving emails around 3pm pacific time! Here's hoping they do it like last year!!!!

Being a stalker via on-line is JUST FINE! :) I'll be anxiously waiting too... good luck!:luck::luck:

good luck to everyone...ohh, i am getting so anxious!! :D

I am speculating that maybe 4 more hours...maybe tomorrow. I don't suppose anyone is brave enough to call?

I am speculating that maybe 4 more hours...maybe tomorrow. I don't suppose anyone is brave enough to call?

Nope! Not calling! But I AM brave enough to go lay down and watch a movie (and probably check my e-mail every 30 seconds)!

and asked if admissions decisions were going to be sent out any earlier than tomorrow and they said no. Maybe we can relax... ?:scared:

Thanks Carrbear21 for calling. Now, we can anxious wait for tomorrow:)

and asked if admissions decisions were going to be sent out any earlier than tomorrow and they said no. Maybe we can relax... ?:scared:

Did you happen to ask or did they happen to mention whether they would be emailing? Thanks for calling!!

Did you happen to ask or did they happen to mention whether they would be emailing? Thanks for calling!!

I was told in my other e-mail a while back that they ARE e-mailing.

Alright you guys...TODAY is our day!!:thumbup:

:luck::luck::luck::luck: to all waiting to hear back!

I just got an email from Iowa State!! Admitted! :D:D:D

(Email seems to have been sent at 9:46am, for those of you who like to obsess.;))

It's better than nothing! Sent 10:01am

Congrats to those accepted! (VAgirl!)

Congrats to all of those accepted to ISU....I look forward to possibly seeing you next fall. :)

It's better than nothing! Sent 10:01am

Congrats to those accepted! (VAgirl!)

Congrats, carrbear21! Do you know if they'll tell you your alternate position? Some schools seem to not mind telling if asked whereas others won't. People seem to have said that OOS lists can move a fair amount. Fingers crossed for you!!:luck:

Congrats, carrbear21! Do you know if they'll tell you your alternate position? Some schools seem to not mind telling if asked whereas others won't. People seem to have said that OOS lists can move a fair amount. Fingers crossed for you!!:luck:

Thanks :) At least I still have a chance! *fingers crossed*
The e-mail said that a letter is going out Feb 20th that gives instructions if you want to remain on the list and also gives the alternate ranking. Last year they made a lot of offers... here's hoping!

A friend of mine got in off the waitlist last year. I think he was around #60!

A friend of mine got in off the waitlist last year. I think he was around #60!

Thanks :oops: Any idea when he heard? I e-mailed to see if I could get my ranking sooner but not planning on it.

I think sometime in April. From what I remember he kept calling the school to find out what number they were at and the waitlist was moving pretty quickly!

rejected.... i'm startingto lose hope.. only UF and Missouri left

Waitlisted :oops:! Congrats to those who got in..

Waitlisted too. Congrats to everyone who got in, though!

how did you find out your ranking on the list? I'm waitlisted too, and although I've already been accepted to my 1st choice, IA's a contract school, and sometimes (though not always) $ wins out :)

how did you find out your ranking on the list? I'm waitlisted too, and although I've already been accepted to my 1st choice, IA's a contract school, and sometimes (though not always) $ wins out :)

I e-mailed Brenda to find out. CONGRATS on getting in to your first choice but yes, $ is important too! Then again, what's $150,000 debt vs. $200,000? :p