Introductory Manual for the Ocular Exam and History

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to write an introductory manual for the ocular exam and history geared for medical students and beginning residents. I want this to be a survival guide for the ophthalmology rotation and electives, and help young residents get going faster. It'll be less detailed than the current AAO book.

What do you think should be included in a manual like this?

My goal is to make the manual available on the web on the www.eyerounds.org site and then convert it into a PDA iSilo database so that it can be used without the internet.

Also, if anyone wants to help me in this project, then let me know. I'm not selling this manual, so it'll be a volunteer project for you.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like a great idea...

I will be more than pleased to help you in any way I can. Feel free to contact me with anything you need.

Thanks

Vanessa

Members don't see this ad :)
Andrew_Doan said:
I'm planning to write an introductory manual for the ocular exam and history geared for medical students and beginning residents. I want this to be a survival guide for the ophthalmology rotation and electives, and help young residents get going faster. It'll be less detailed than the current AAO book.

What do you think should be included in a manual like this?

My goal is to make the manual available on the web on the www.eyerounds.org site and then convert it into a PDA iSilo database so that it can be used without the internet.

Also, if anyone wants to help me in this project, then let me know. I'm not selling this manual, so it'll be a volunteer project for you.

Dr. Doan,

Visual Acuity
1. Type and level of lighting
2. Distance vs near visual acuity
3. Pinhole acuity
4. Projected vs Paper chart

I'm still suprised at how "loosely" visual acuities are approached in the beginning. A good understanding of acuities can help the examiner determine whether it is abnormal or whether the patient is uncooperative, non-communicative, ignorant of the concept.

Regards,
Richard

hi !
I would like to contribute please pm me regarding any work i can do for the project.

As a 4th year med student currently doing an ophtho elective, I think this sounds like a great idea. One section in the current Practical Ophthalmology book that is kind of confusing is the part on how to do subjective refraction. I bet that you could do a better job of just explaining the basics of how to do it.

PM me if you want any help.

Andrew-

This is a brilliant idea and would be a great help to students. PM me and let me know how I can be of help...

Golgi

i think a good chapter , just like on the basics of the slit lamp exam...what to look for and the systematic approach to doing so woudl definitely be helpful to students. And maybe some pictures of the different aspects of the lens especially...i think the most difficult part for students at first is to realize even what exactly it is that they are looking at.
Just a suggestion. Good luck.

ZR1 said:
i think a good chapter , just like on the basics of the slit lamp exam...what to look for and the systematic approach to doing so woudl definitely be helpful to students. And maybe some pictures of the different aspects of the lens especially...i think the most difficult part for students at first is to realize even what exactly it is that they are looking at.
Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Good idea. :thumbup:

I've been very busy with several other projects. Who wants to take charge and get this project going? JR (soon to be Wilmer resident next year) from this forum wants to work on this project too. We need someone to make an outline and distribute the work. I'll post the manual on EyeRounds.org and make it available on the PDA too.

hi Dr. Doan-
that sounds like an awesome idea! i would like to help if you still need some help. i dont know if you think this would be a good idea but what about organizing part of the program as an eye progress note; you could click on a part of the exam, then use the tab, and find out what to look for, how to do tests, what to look for, technical terms and their meanings etc... kinda like a scrolling menu...

knightrider said:
hi Dr. Doan-
that sounds like an awesome idea! i would like to help if you still need some help. i dont know if you think this would be a good idea but what about organizing part of the program as an eye progress note; you could click on a part of the exam, then use the tab, and find out what to look for, how to do tests, what to look for, technical terms and their meanings etc... kinda like a scrolling menu...

I like this idea. ;)

I would like to volunteer for this.
I am doing research in glaucoma, so I could probably be of more help on the glaucoma chapter(s) of the manual. Also anything you need regarding new imaging techniques (HRT, OCT, GDx) I have some additional experience.

D

Basics of slit-lamp exam (like, really basic - starting from how to adjust the height)

I wish there were a lot of normal photos. The worst thing about studying from textbooks is that we see a lot of ABnormals but have no idea what a NORMAL retina should look like!

sjkpark said:
Basics of slit-lamp exam (like, really basic - starting from how to adjust the height)

I wish there were a lot of normal photos. The worst thing about studying from textbooks is that we see a lot of ABnormals but have no idea what a NORMAL retina should look like!
I totally agree with sjkpark, really knowing what is obtainable and not, would really help in accurate recognition of pathologies and the proper understanding of the pathophysiology[active].
But I do believe it will take alot of work to get this. :idea: