Eye exam pre-ophtho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylor77

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a question that has somewhat been asked before, but I feel that my situation is a bit different. I'll be applying to ophthalmology residency and I need to pass an eye exam for my application that includes color vision and stereopsis. I'm a healthy person, no past vision problems, and I've had dilated eye exams in the past with no concerns. I do know that I have myopia in one eye (about 20/100 uncorrected) that is correctable to 20/20 with about a -2.00 D lens (I tried this myself, didn't get a proper refraction yet). The other eye is 20/20 uncorrected. However, I do not wear glasses in my day to day life -- I never even got them because I didn't feel like I needed them.

Regarding color vision: I was on rotation and noticed that when I was testing a patient, he was telling me the ishihara plates quickly and I couldn't see the numbers. I looked at some color tests online and also in person and, although the numbers do not jump out at me, I can figure out what's on the plates if I look carefully. So, I can pass the color vision test now, but only after doing some practice online and learning what I should be looking at to say the right number.

Regarding stereopsis: I got tested briefly with the wirt circle test and could only see maybe 6/9 circles. This was without glasses. I tried putting a -2.00 lens in front of my myopic eye and saw maybe 7/9, but it's still super subtle and I feel like I almost guessed the 7th.

I'm suddenly getting worried about all these problems with my eyes. I do not want to be a sub-par ophthalmologist, so I want to make sure that my eyes are in good shape for microsurgery and retinal exams, etc. My question is this: for color vision, do you think I could have color deficiency if I can, with some effort, make out the numbers on the plates? For stereopsis, do you think that if I got used to wearing glasses and trained to see depth better, my stereopsis would improve?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

There are color blind ophthalmologists out there. I think there's a thread here on it

You need two eyes for good stereo, so corrective lenses may help improve your stereo. Get a formal eye exam

Explore this further with a detailed eye exam. You will struggle with microsurgery if you don't have decent stereopsis