Interviews Yet??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got really bad news from ICO today :( They said that they are unsure and want to do a second review later in January. Am I the first one to be rejected this year ? This feels SO depressing, I thought I would get an interview. Since this is the first school Ive heard from I feel like I am going to get the same response everywhere else...

Pre Opt Student....I wouldn't take that as a definitive rejection.......they are still giving you a second review...so cheer up.................If I were you, I would contact them and ask what areas they thought you were lacking in.....so in case this isn't your year (which hopefully is not the case...fingers crossed)... at least you know which areas you need to improve on for the next cycle.......

Take care and good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be at Nova on Sept. 26 at 10:30, too!! See you guys there!

I'll be at Nova on Sept. 26 at 10:30, too!! See you guys there!

SO Fran just contacted me...

Does anyone know how long after you put in all your stuff did they contact you about an interview!!!

Im sending in everything tommorrow, except some LORs cause well my school is ssssssssLlllllOOOOOWWW( SLOW)

GL on the interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
They contacted me about three weeks after I had all my stuff in. First they called while I was in class so I didn't answer. Then I got an email later saying the dates that were available.

I received a pleasant surprise from SUNY today. They sent me a letter telling me I have been invited for an interview. I'm pretty shocked however because they haven't received my OAT scores or LOR's.

Any thoughts about this?

I haven't called back yet to schedule or anything.

I received a pleasant surprise from SUNY today. They sent me a letter telling me I have been invited for an interview. I'm pretty shocked however because they haven't received my OAT scores or LOR's.

Any thoughts about this?

It's not that uncommon to get an interview prior to sending in your OAT scores (and possibly LORs (rare))....but it might be due to your undergraduate GPA and extracurricular's..........If you do well on the interview, they will give you a pending acceptance upon approval of your OAT scores and LORs......hope that helped.

hey pre opt student would you mind pming your stats?

hey pre opt student would you mind pming your stats?

Hey, could you pm your stats to me too? I just got an email from ICO stating that they need my OAT and whatever else is missing for the 2nd review in Dec. :(

Hey I got that same email...soooo many people have been asking my stats and I didnt want to post them on here but id rather not PM like 10 different people lol..

To be honest I dont know what my GPA is exactly because my school goes by percentages and im coming from a canadian school so in the states it is calculated differently...but its somewhat low..about 3.0-3.1. I didnt do well my first year (A few C's, but then after first year Ive never had below a B) - so my 2nd and 3rd year GPA's is around 3.4 (if you dont count my first year I mean)..as a side note I repeated organic chemistry this summer and got a B+

I took the OAT August 27th. I got a 350TS and nothing below 300.

I sent the schools like 4 pages of extracurricular activities/volunteer/research I have been involved with. Im not gonna name them all but here are some examples:
- Hospital volunteer for 5 years
-student health services with the university women's health education team for 3 years
- peer mentor in leadership and mentorship program for a year
- shadowed 2 optometrists (about 50+ hours)
- worked on a research paper and was secondary author for an Opthalmology paper
- Asthma clinical research
- Canadian national instititue for the blind volunteer
- St Josephs hospital orthopedic research

Im guessing they want my December transcripts? I am taking Microbiology this semester and that is a pre-req. Im guessing that the negative parts of my application is my lower GPA (my first year marks) and the fact that I repeated a course?

Hey I got that same email...soooo many people have been asking my stats and I didnt want to post them on here but id rather not PM like 10 different people lol..

To be honest I dont know what my GPA is exactly because my school goes by percentages and im coming from a canadian school so in the states it is calculated differently...but its somewhat low..about 3.0-3.1. I didnt do well my first year (A few C's, but then after first year Ive never had below a B) - so my 2nd and 3rd year GPA's is around 3.4 (if you dont count my first year I mean)..as a side note I repeated organic chemistry this summer and got a B+

I sent the schools like 4 pages of extracurricular activities/volunteer/research I have been involved with. Im not gonna name them all but here are some examples:
-student health services with the university women's health education team for 3 years

Im guessing they want my December transcripts? I am taking Microbiology this semester and that is a pre-req. Im guessing that the negative parts of my application is my lower GPA (my first year marks) and the fact that I repeated a course?

Your oat score is pretty good, and your tons of experience looks impressive. You're probably right in thinking that maybe it's just your low gpa that's holding you back for now. I am pretty sure that after receiving your final transcripts, they'll give you an interview. Keep faith!!

I'm exactly in the same position as you (grades and extracurr) and I'm from Canada too! The only difference is that I have a Post bacc of 3.9cGPA. I really hope we both get interviews!!! Good Luck!

I just recieved an interview invitation via e-mail from UHCO. My interview will take place on October 3rd. :)

It's not that uncommon to get an interview prior to sending in your OAT scores (and possibly LORs (rare))....but it might be due to your undergraduate GPA and extracurricular's..........If you do well on the interview, they will give you a pending acceptance upon approval of your OAT scores and LORs......hope that helped.

Thank you, this sure does help. I just need to first call them to schedule an interview and hopefully ace the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dry Eye - I really hope we both get interviews also. Where else are you applying? And where in Canada are u going to school?

My worry now is that all the schools will have the same reasoning as ICO. I really hope this is not the case!

Any thoughts about this?

I got a letter in the mail today saying got an interview with SUNY as well! Yay!

I got invited today for an interview at Pacific on the first interview date October 17th.

Has anyone applied to western university (the new cali school) and heard anything back?

Dry Eye - I really hope we both get interviews also. Where else are you applying? And where in Canada are u going to school?

My worry now is that all the schools will have the same reasoning as ICO. I really hope this is not the case!

Hey! I'm at McGill. Where are you?

I am applying to 6 schools in the states: SUNY, Ohio, MCO, NECO, Indiana and ICO. Still have to write my OAT. SO NERVOUS!!!

Dont worry just study hard and its easy to do well. I studied pretty hard this summer and got a 350TS, Im happy with that I think.

I go to the University of Western Ontario! we arent that far away lol..Im applying to a bunch of schools also...SUNY, NECO, PCO, NOVA and of course waterloo. Are you applying to waterloo too?

Dont worry just study hard and its easy to do well. I studied pretty hard this summer and got a 350TS, Im happy with that I think.

I go to the University of Western Ontario! we arent that far away lol..Im applying to a bunch of schools also...SUNY, NECO, PCO, NOVA and of course waterloo. Are you applying to waterloo too?

Hey! Yeah, you are close! :)

I am not applying to Waterloo. I did a year ago...never got an interview. To tell you the truth you cant get accepted at Waterloo with a GPA 3.0. All they look at now are marks. CGPA and Science GPA. The higher it is the better your chance of getting in... I don't want to discourage you... Apply, I guess you never know... But I will not be applying to Waterloo, unfotunately.

Good Luck.

And thanks for the encouragment. I give up easily. I always have to keep asking myself--> "How badly do you want to be an OD?" And that's what keeps me going. :p

I just received an email invitation for an interview at Waterloo on November 29th.
Anyone else hear from Waterloo?

Hey, yeah i kno i dont have a good chance at waterloo at all. But I meet the 75% cutoff..which i know is just scraping it..but id rather apply than regret it later. You never know.

Also, they dont just look at marks. They look at OAT and extracurriculars now. I dont think it plays that big a factor though.

I'll be interviewing at SCO on October 17th...wohooo!!

Has anyone heard back from UMSL?

Found out today I got an interview with PCO.

got invited for an interview at NECO today

How did PCO and NECO notify you guys? Email or letter in the mail?

got my interview at MCO October 2

Any thoughts about this?

What were the rest of your stats? Must have been pretty impressive!

What were the rest of your stats? Must have been pretty impressive!

Maybe they took high school transcripts into account, I'm not sure:

High School - GPA : 4.0
College - GPA : 3.8

Im starting to get a little discouraged since I havent heard anything yet from any schools! If you dont get an interview do the schools at least tell you that you were rejected so that you dont have to keep waiting for an answer all year! I know its still early, but I also applied early. What do you guys think?

Hey, Just got the letter in the mail for an interview at SUNY.

Just keep waiting pre opt and call maybe ask if they have reviewed your application, what the status is or something. No they don't dont tell you early i called and asked that last week and they said they can only send you the reject letter after they have finished which means in like march. sry

Im always hesitant to call the schools because when I called to check if all my materials were received they always sounded a little annoyed and as if this is going to influence their decision. Im always polite and everything though...

Should I still call?

hey pre opt i dont know ur stats so i cant be of advice in terms of your issues with the schools, but on the note about calling in your case dont call to ask if the materials are in. call to ask if they have reviewed your application or where its status is and i would way prob till the middle/end of oct to do that. Bc nows it too early to be so adamant to ask them this question i mean unless you had superb stats and no answer. but i think you should act confident when asking and be interested in this matter and show them ur intent. Dont shy away bc some ppl sound like mean on the phone they prob are just to use to that question- be more specific or ask it differently like the way i wrote above. but i would wait a bit bc some schools just started to actually view the applications even though they opened them in august.

Im super excited. Just finished NECO application... gotta finish PCO by Friday and SCCO by Sunday....

3 down. 5 more to go.... no interviews yet, but its only been a week with ICO & NOVA in.

ahh i love the excitement!!! GL on everyone's interviews...

Im super excited. Just finished NECO application... gotta finish PCO by Friday and SCCO by Sunday....

3 down. 5 more to go.... no interviews yet, but its only been a week with ICO & NOVA in.

ahh i love the excitement!!! GL on everyone's interviews...

Aren't you applying to SUNY as well?

Maybe they took high school transcripts into account, I'm not sure:

High School - GPA : 4.0
College - GPA : 3.8

Haha, yes, very nice. I wish I had actually cared in high school :laugh:

Hey optometristan,
Congrats! What were your gpa and OAT scores?

Aren't you applying to SUNY as well?

its funny. i finished the application as well as SCO, but I dont think Im going to apply there... maybe. my parents are pushing me to because the optometrist that I shadowed for was from there, and said it was a really good school, and that I would be crazy to not apply especially cause im a NY resident. The tution is really cheap, and it considered a really good school, and you have access to a diverse population in the clinic... (all +)

I dont know, I went to an open house, and i really wasn't impressed by the fact that it was just all in one building. I come from a college campus where there are 24,000 students, and people live together in dorms and such... so I prefer ICO because of the atmosphere of the campus. It reminds me of my undergraduate years... in addition, I think SUNY is too much of a distraction to me, I know way too many people in the city, and the surrounding areas.

Well, next week I am going to visit NECO, so who knows... I might fall in love with them too. Unfortunately, they dont have dorms :(. My other optometrist that I shadowed, said that she could definately see me there, especially causes it not to far from NY, and NJ. Also, I always wanted to go to school in Boston... but decided on a school b/c promixity to home....(never again)

But for right now, I think I'm gonna finish the applications that I sent my OAT scores to (PCO and SCCO), and then if I dont hear anything back from any of them, I will submit the SUNY and SCO applications, and order my OAT scores to go there...

...jeez. i wrote alot!

Hey guys, I've gotten interviews at SCO, SUNY, ICO, PCO, and NOVA so far. Does anyone know what percentage of students interviewed are accepted? and has anyone heard anything from NECO yet? thats where i really want to go..

What's the word with SCCO? Does anyone know when they start inviting for interviews?

And I'm starting to get worried about NECO and SUNY... I want an invitation...now! I feel like I'm not invited to the cool kids' party :mad:

its funny. i finished the application as well as SCO, but I dont think Im going to apply there... maybe. my parents are pushing me to because the optometrist that I shadowed for was from there, and said it was a really good school, and that I would be crazy to not apply especially cause im a NY resident. The tution is really cheap, and it considered a really good school, and you have access to a diverse population in the clinic... (all +)

I dont know, I went to an open house, and i really wasn't impressed by the fact that it was just all in one building. I come from a college campus where there are 24,000 students, and people live together in dorms and such... so I prefer ICO because of the atmosphere of the campus. It reminds me of my undergraduate years... in addition, I think SUNY is too much of a distraction to me, I know way too many people in the city, and the surrounding areas.

Well, next week I am going to visit NECO, so who knows... I might fall in love with them too. Unfortunately, they dont have dorms :(. My other optometrist that I shadowed, said that she could definately see me there, especially causes it not to far from NY, and NJ. Also, I always wanted to go to school in Boston... but decided on a school b/c promixity to home....(never again)

But for right now, I think I'm gonna finish the applications that I sent my OAT scores to (PCO and SCCO), and then if I dont hear anything back from any of them, I will submit the SUNY and SCO applications, and order my OAT scores to go there...

...jeez. i wrote alot!

I totally feel ya!! I come from a big university as well and still want to hold on to the big college feel.

I just got an interview from ICO a few days ago! But they responded pretty quickly because I sent out all my stuff only about three weeks ago. =)!

But that's the first and only school I've heard from. And it is the only school that has received all my materials! Almost all my other schools are missing a transcript there or a letter here. So, I guess mail gets lost pretty easily... =(

I wish everything can be put on a CD-ROM or somethin'!