Interviews/rejections thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alleyesonme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted on another thread, but it was suggested that I start the annual interview/rejections thread. Interview from CPMC-SF by phone!! Interview dates: 11/17, 11/24, 12/:D

Members don't see this ad.

congrats alleyes, did u apply very early? was wondering when applicants usually start hearing from programs...

is it kosher to ask for stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Application received by SF Match on August 20th, and they were very quick on turnaround time.

congrats alleyes, did u apply very early? was wondering when applicants usually start hearing from programs...

If you read through previous years interview threads, its still way early to be hearing much. Most people will have a few interview invites by the end of september, with the bulk of them coming in october. Right now im just accumulating the "we've received your app" emails with some schools asking for more stuff (ie- emory wants a photo).

oh I meant stats like board scores, grades, etc. new to the forum so unsure if its ok to ask for these things, but curious what kind of numbers are needed for interviews at cpmc (esp early interview offers).

Not an interview or a rejection...but Temple just sent me a letter with a secondary application and thanked me for my interest in their program - and i didnt even apply there!! :confused::confused::confused:
I double checked my confirmation email from SFMatch that documents my distribution list. Do you think a call is in order to make sure they have everything straight?? Extra programs isnt a concern but the last thing i need is to have them leaving off programs i DID apply to.

Not an interview or a rejection...but Temple just sent me a letter with a secondary application and thanked me for my interest in their program - and i didnt even apply there!! :confused::confused::confused:
I double checked my confirmation email from SFMatch that documents my distribution list. Do you think a call is in order to make sure they have everything straight?? Extra programs isnt a concern but the last thing i need is to have them leaving off programs i DID apply to.

When SF Match sent me the confirmatory email after I did the program selection form, I noticed that one of my programs had been left out. I called them, and they fixed it, but they also confirmed that it wasn't my error -- that program was on the form I submitted electronically: it was a computer error. If I hadn't caught it, that program would never have gotten my application.

So yeah, I'd say double check everything.

Every once in a while that happens. I remember a few years ago some people were getting rejections from Kresge when they didn't even apply there (talk about a shot to the ego). It's probably worth a call to make sure everything else on your list is squared away, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Just talked to SFMatch. They said that for whatever reason, Temple did not follow the proper instructions when downloading applications, so instead of receiving applications from only the people that applied there, they received an applicaton from every applicant in the match. So if youve already been processed and didnt apply there, youll probably be getting a letter that you can disregard.

Just talked to SFMatch. They said that for whatever reason, Temple did not follow the proper instructions when downloading applications, so instead of receiving applications from only the people that applied there, they received an applicaton from every applicant in the match. So if youve already been processed and didnt apply there, youll probably be getting a letter that you can disregard.

Or, if you're a little short on interviews, show up anyway.
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
univ of rochester, by email this am
interview dates oct 17, nov 3, nov 14

I also was invited for an interview at UTSW on friday, they offered the Oct 10 date only... I don't know if that is normal. Also, they asked that I reply by email, and I promptly did, but I have not heard anything back from them yet

Otherwise, only a handful of "hey we got your app, can you send us some other piece of info or just sit tight and wait til we contact you!?"

I also was invited for an interview at UTSW on friday, they offered the Oct 10 date only... I don't know if that is normal. Also, they asked that I reply by email, and I promptly did, but I have not heard anything back from them yet

Otherwise, only a handful of "hey we got your app, can you send us some other piece of info or just sit tight and wait til we contact you!?"

If you don't mind me asking, when was your app processed by CAS?

my app was received at SF match on 8/26, and I received the email that it had been distributed to the programs on 9/2... I'm not sure if it was really available earlier, but that was when I got the email.

That week, I got 3 confirmations (wed, thurs, fri) and one interview (fri at UTSW), but since then I have not heard from anyone about anything.

I think this all amounts to stressing out about nothing. Different schools just have different time lines, and luckily I havent applied to most of the schools that I have heard have already sent out applications.

And while I'm building up a head of steam here, I want to state for the record that I am a pretty average student from a pretty average school. Sometimes I think with all the studs that post on here it can be easy to get discouraged. My plan is to just keep checking my email and rolling with the punches. Come January, most everyone will be happy enough.

at least this is what I keep telling myself.

Good day! Interview offer from UTSW for October 31st (only date offered) by email. Also, interview offer from Medical College of Georgia (10/20, 11/17, 12/8) by email. Good luck to all! Also, don't stress to much (I know, easier said than done) when people post interviews and you haven't heard yet. I did that when I heard UTSW had given interviews last Friday, as I had my application submitted mid-August. I think that it depends on the faculty who reviews the applications, some get through a stack faster than others.

2 invites today
UTSW (only offered 10/31)
SLUEI (Offered 10/28 and 10/31)

I don't have an invite to post, I just wanted to organize the program thread so other people just starting to look at the thread dont have to scroll too far back to figure out who's offered so far. If you are going to post an interview invite, maybe just add it to this list by copying it in your post.

Institution - Interview dates offered (as of 9/12)

California Pacific - 11/17, 11/24, 12/1
UTSW - 10/10, 10/31
University of Rochester - 10/17, 11/3, 11/14
St. Louis University Eye Institute - 10/28, 10/31
Medical College of Georgia - 10/20, 11/17, 12/8

I just got an offer from Yale, came by mail, offering on 10/10, 10/11, 12/12, 12/13

California Pacific - 11/17, 11/24, 12/1
UTSW - 10/10, 10/31
University of Rochester - 10/17, 11/3, 11/14
St. Louis University Eye Institute - 10/28, 10/31
Medical College of Georgia - 10/20, 11/17, 12/8
Yale - 10/10, 10/11, 12/12, 12/13

I just got one in the mail from Yale too :)

My first rejection of the season: SLU :thumbdown:

Sorry to hear that. :(
Was that email, snail mail or phone call?
I've heard nothing from them - got a confirmation on 4th of September that they received my application.

Sorry to hear that. :(
Was that email, snail mail or phone call?
I've heard nothing from them - got a confirmation on 4th of September that they received my application.

Thanks, I actually got a confirmation from them on Sept 4th also, and received a rejection via email on Sept 10th.

Thought I was a strong candidate, but oh well...

Last edited:
they probably thought you wouldn't go to their program - too qualified, and perhaps not from the midwest?

Thanks, I actually got a confirmation from them on Sept 4th also, and received a rejection via email on Sept 10th.

And for those that are curious, my stats are:
Med School: Top 10
Step 1: 252
Step 2: not yet taken
AOA: unknown
Research: 4 pubs (2 in the works)

Thought I was a strong candidate, but oh well...

maybe the fact you're only interested in going to "top programs" (as you've mentioned previously) or think you're a strong candidate came through in your personal statement?

maybe the fact you're only interested in going to "top programs" (as you've mentioned previously) or think you're a strong candidate came through in your personal statement?

I'm ONLY interested in top programs :confused: I am looking for a program that best meets my personality and goals, regardless of how it is ranked by third parties. Nevertheless, we're still in Sept, lets see what happens as the season progresses...

with that record, you must have other interviews - just think about those.

This may ease your mind a little macro...

Last year a top candidate from my school (Step 1 260+, AOA, midwest school, etc) interviewed at SLU and he was told by the chairman that they should not have invited him for an interview because they knew he would not be coming there. The chairman went on to say that next year they will do a better job of screening out similar candidates.

they probably thought you wouldn't go to their program - too qualified, and perhaps not from the midwest?

Thanks minterr, and you're right, I'm not from the midwest.

This may ease your mind a little macro...

Last year a top candidate from my school (Step 1 260+, AOA, midwest school, etc) interviewed at SLU and he was told by the chairman that they should not have invited him for an interview because they knew he would not be coming there. The chairman went on to say that next year they will do a better job of screening out similar candidates.

Wow, thanks for that, definitely helps! :)

Hey Everyone,
I wondered if SFmatch is doing something slow or not. I submitted my App on Jul 29th and they said it was sent out by Aug 8th. I have heard from maybe 12/85 programs since then. Why have I not heard from more programs stating that my app was received weeks ago since SFmatch said it was distributed in early August? Do some programs just notify you on rejection or invite? Or do some give an extra courtesy letting you know your app was received. Any advice or reassurance here would be great..Just worried like everyone else..
combatdoc

Hey Everyone,
I wondered if SFmatch is doing something slow or not. I submitted my App on Jul 29th and they said it was sent out by Aug 8th. I have heard from maybe 12/85 programs since then. Why have I not heard from more programs stating that my app was received weeks ago since SFmatch said it was distributed in early August? Do some programs just notify you on rejection or invite? Or do some give an extra courtesy letting you know your app was received. Any advice or reassurance here would be great..Just worried like everyone else..
combatdoc

Last year I heard from maybe 40% of my programs saying they had received my application and/or wanted more information. Final decisions on my application (interview/rejection) were only given to me by maybe 60-70% of all the programs (hearing nothing from the other 30%)...in other words, dont sweat it too much if you havent heard anything...it's really program specific

hope this alleviates some concern

should I worry if others have received "we got your app" emails from a program but I haven't?

If you are concerned you really can't go wrong by simply calling the programs to verify they have received your application. If you don't want to do this for all the programs, then consider doing it for the ones you are most interested in. As stated above, it is not uncommon for progs to not inform you your application was received; however, if you are uneasy there is only one way to be certain, and that is to contact the programs

I'm mostly worried that I didn't get an email from Bascom Palmer asking for a 600 word autobiographical sketch, but others on here did. so did a classmate of mine. I emailed the program coordinator but haven't heard back. what should be the next move?

Got a "received your app" email from Albert Einstein on Sep 12.

(Got CAS distributed docs email on Sep 11.)

I'm mostly worried that I didn't get an email from Bascom Palmer asking for a 600 word autobiographical sketch, but others on here did. so did a classmate of mine. I emailed the program coordinator but haven't heard back. what should be the next move?

When was your app distributed by CAS? If it was distributed back in August, I would consider giving them a call. SF match isn't perfect and they do make errors- there is no harm in simply confirming receipt of your app.

I got my application in mid-August and have not heard from BP regarding the autobio yet either. However, because it was posted under their profile on SF Match, I wrote it and sent it to the program coordinator. She replied and said she would add it to my application. Just a thought....

thanks a lot. You really helped me to understand the process.

I really hate the wording on some of these things...

Like this letter from UMKC - Acknowledges receipt of application, mentions some "exciting news" on their website, and ends with "Thanks again, and you will be hearing from us soon."

Tone of the letter is overwhelmingly positive, but it could just as easily mean a rejection, I suppose.

I am in the same boat as you. I had my application distributed by SFMatch on August 25th, and still have not heard from Bascom Palmer. I mailed in my autobiography last week also. I then emailed the program coordinator today, who told me that she had not yet downloaded my application. So, I would not worry too much. They will get around to it soon.

hmm- what is the "profile on sfmatch?"

when i log into the program directory, it doesn't say anything about this essay on bascom palmer's listing, just the names of the program director and coordinator, emails, number of positions, etc.

where do I access the profile?

hmm- what is the "profile on sfmatch?"

when i log into the program directory, it doesn't say anything about this essay on bascom palmer's listing, just the names of the program director and coordinator, emails, number of positions, etc.

where do I access the profile?

Click on "view profile"- located right above the name of the university.

haha, I feel silly. thank you.

for those you who are as clueless as me, I found this when I perused the profiles:

UCSD wants Program Description: **NON-CAS materials REQUIRED by Oct 15: Micro-mini application (download at Shiley web site), 3x3 photo, $35 application fee.