Interviews 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
deschutes said:
Re: "The Mayo Way"... yaah wrote up a pretty comprehensive post about this time two years ago - the link is here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=896273&postcount=63

(I am surprised that Google is working just as well as the internal Search function!)

One of our 4th (5th?) years is doing his surg path fellowship at Mayo (long story) - and he likes it there. As a fellowship though, I don't know about residency. He says it's nice because you get the outside H&E consults, and get to compare it with the toluidine blue. It's pretty fast-paced, from what I hear. Previewing time might be a concern for some.

I didn't really like the way of doing things there, in regards to training as a future pathologist that is. You certainly see lots of cases and learn to make quick diagnoses, but of course as a resident you don't do much of that - the fellows do most of it.

The Dr Myers in that article is also leaving Mayo and coming here to be our new director of AP (although the Mayo frozen technique will not be implemented here). He's an amazing teacher we are very lucky to be getting him here.

Members don't see this ad.

yaah said:
You certainly see lots of cases and learn to make quick diagnoses, but of course as a resident you don't do much of that - the fellows do most of it.
That was what our resident/fellow said too.

By the way, for the rest of you I am hearing that the increase in application #'s at UMN is certainly not representative across the country. So you know better than to get all panicky :)

deschutes said:
That was what our resident/fellow said too.

By the way, for the rest of you I am hearing that the increase in application #'s at UMN is certainly not representative across the country. So you know better than to get all panicky :)

That's what they told me at Mt. Sinai, too: "record number of applicants this year...including US graduates..." Of course, I won't be able to verify that until November 3...

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. GreenGenes said:
I want to get in on the fun, dang it!

Invites: Iowa, Vermont, MCW, UChicago, Brigham, Cleveland Clinic

Still no word from "Big Daddy" MGH, Hopkins, Utah, UCSF, Stanford, and emory. Please, "Big Daddy", give Mr. GreenGenes a nice little email!

Congrats to all! Can't wait to see if any of us end up at the same place together......I especially want to meet beary....wait a minute...is she married?!?!?!?
Not to completely hijack this thread, but your username and avatar RULE!

deschutes said:
Re: "The Mayo Way"... yaah wrote up a pretty comprehensive post about this time two years ago... (I am surprised that Google is working just as well as the internal Search function!)

I never have any luck with the google search. I typed in like everything I could think of to try and find some info. Oh well... Thanks for the link; it was helpful. When I told my resident today she was like "oh definitely don't go there. you won't be able to work anywhere else but there". I was wondering if anyone could comment on transitions to the "traditional" way after postresidency placement (i.e.- Are there any former/current Mayo folks or people that work with former Mayo folks that could address the transition).

I'm really not trying to hijack this thread. If I need to I'll start a new one.

I actually didn't use the Google toolbar at the bottom of the SDN pages. For some reason that doesn't work the same way as direct Google, and I wasn't about to try to figure out why.

For the old Mayo post, I went to Google and typed in "yaah frozen mayo". It was the 4th link.

Apart from that I am no help with your question I'm afraid. I will repeat it though.

We would like information about the post-Mayo-residency transition!

quant said:
Rejection from cleveland clinic too.....In fact i was rejected 34 times.. I received a mail 34 times saying that i have been rejected.And im still counting..... :)

STFU already! I get the goddam idea!

Are you serious? They sent you an e-mail 34 times? How terrible!! I am so sorry. :mad:

miko2005 said:
Are you serious? They sent you an e-mail 34 times? How terrible!! I am so sorry. :mad:

Aw it's ok....I guess it's some compie glitch over which she had no control...I was just poking fun at the situation.

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Tufts/Baystate today via email.

Rejection from Cleveland Clinic. :p
Same boat. Rej from CCF, and invite from Baystate.

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Albany today by email!

Hey congrats Brian!

You are on a roll now!... :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay everyone, here goes,

applied to 16 programs so far: loma liinda, uc davis, ucsd, ormc, uf, usf, umn, scott and white, ut-san antonio, ut-houston, ut-galveston, ut-sw, eastern va, mcv,uv, and uw.

interviews:D : eastern va, umn, ut-san antonio
sorrys:( : uv and ut-sw

aways completed:D : uw and ut-houston and dr.g medical examiner

planning to add more programs. freaking out. scheduling interviews. freaking out. got my comlex II score from july 26. passed. scheduling usmle II. need higher score.

i have lor from thee pathologists from aways. dr. goljan, my path prof, says he doesn't write lors.

freaking out. docs at my aways always asked why didn't i rotate at my school's program. my do school has no path program, and dr. goljan was my prof for 99% of pathology class. always explaining that there are no do path programs. that our school has a path dept. of three teachers who lecture. that i am stoked about pathology and have been before i gotinto med school.

did i mention that my ocd has me freaking out.

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Albany today by email!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :luck:
warned you about the deluge!keep 'em rollin' in!! :hardy:

path2be said:
dr. goljan, my path prof, says he doesn't write lors.
...did i mention that my ocd has me freaking out.
ask goljan to stuff it!! WTF does he mean by "i don't give lors"?esp since he was your prof most of the time. pompous @$$.. :mad:
you are as :barf: in' freaked out as the rest of us..join in the paranoia..the more the gloomier!! ;)

I think we all need high-dose SSRIs and benzos STAT. :)

Hmm... I could get some benzos if I faked a seizure like my patients... oh wait, belongs in the other thread. :rolleyes:

beary said:
I think we all need high-dose SSRIs and benzos STAT. :)

Hmm... I could get some benzos if I faked a seizure like my patients... oh wait, belongs in the other thread. :rolleyes:

I find that a nice...TALL...glass of wine helps quite a bit! ;)

Don't worry, path2be: I'm confident you'll do just fine. :thumbup:

uhoh! said:
:D
KICK @$$!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
seriously...all those programs which do not plan to call quant..you have been warned!! :D
and me also, for that matter...
I predict the uhoh! and quant deluge will be forthcoming!!!!

UC Davis and Baylor, will decline both.

UT Southwestern by email.....am happy to get it.....goodluck all....

BID by email :eek: :wow:
Shocker!!

Univ of Washington by e-mail. :)

Hey guys...

First time post for me (ever!) and wanted to add to the interview list thread...

Invited :thumbup: : Einstein, Temple, Dartmouth, NIH, Cornell, Yale, Harvard-BIDMC, Drexel, GWU, Boston University

Waiting :confused: : MGH, Penn, Columbia, Pitt, Jefferson, NYU, Duke, Tufts

Anybody have any input on the timing of interview invites? I'm thinking the programs I'm waiting on haven't invited yet because I'm less attractive to them...would I still have a shot at some of these programs?

Would appreciate any info or advice...

Best of luck to everyone on the trail!

Fenriz said:
Anybody have any input on the timing of interview invites? I'm thinking the programs I'm waiting on haven't invited yet because I'm less attractive to them...would I still have a shot at some of these programs?

Would appreciate any info or advice...
Two words: Don't panic.

Maybe the order in which people are invited has to do with how much they like certain candidates over others. But they will likely send out more interviews based on interest and how their interview days fill up. You never know and it's premature to be pessimistic at this point.

Would you still have a shot? Yeah. I think so. Many path programs probably go quite a bit down their rank list to fill. This is because the number of applicants don't exceed the number of total spots by that much. Furthermore, many applicants have geographic preferences.

Let's say you do end up getting an interview at one of these places later in the process. You should do your best to rock the interview and then if you are really interested in them, let them know. Follow up with the programs. Express continued interest (not to the extent that you're sending them a letter or email everyday thereby annoying the hell outta them). Expressing interest in a program does make a difference. Programs would like to have people who really want to go there. It's not all about stats and numbers.

I think I posted it on another thread, but I received an email invite from UCSD yesterday.

On the other hand, I am off to my nice soothing dinner by the river - and when I am re-energized I am going to put all my effort into considering how best to maximize my free lunch opportunities during interview season.

deschutes said:
On the other hand, I am off to my nice soothing dinner by the river - and when I am re-energized I am going to put all my effort into considering how best to maximize my free lunch opportunities during interview season.
Yes, the lunch interview list has been announced at our institution. I've only signed up for two in November but I may sign up for more. Who knows.

Well, after seeing the list, I know who all of you are! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Don't worry about Hopkins, Dr.Nick! Another lucky program will get you, and they will be thankful that Hopkins didn't take you. This is what I say to myself, too. ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot Brian!
maybe you're right...I got invites from Yale and BID today!

I have a question, has anyone heard from the Miami schools? Are they able to respond to applicants s/p hurricane?

AndyMilonakis said:
Well, after seeing the list, I know who all of you are! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That is kinda weird actually. You don't know that its me, but you may have seen my picture, CV, board scores and read my LoR's. To help you out, I was the one that you thought "WTF?! How did he get offered an interview here?" :)

drPLUM said:
That is kinda weird actually. You don't know that its me, but you may have seen my picture, CV, board scores and read my LoR's. To help you out, I was the one that you thought "WTF?! How did he get offered an interview here?" :)
I actually haven't seen any files or pictures or stats. I just know the names and the institutions and the dates of interviews.

Is your name Hugh Jass?

Yale, MGH, BID, Hopkins, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, Einstein, U Penn, and Dartmouth. I don't think I'm going to do anymore than that!

New List: Stanford, UCSF, Irvine, Cedars-Sinai, New Mexico, UTSW, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Davis, UCSD

No word from: UCLA, Harbor, USC, Hawaii (among others)

I cancelled all my east coast interviews, so I hope other people will get those spots!

AndyMilonakis said:
I actually haven't seen any files or pictures or stats. I just know the names and the institutions and the dates of interviews.

Is your name Hugh Jass?

Naw. Hugh Jass is interviewing here too - he has board scores of 250+ and has a patent pending on a new pcr technique.

yaah said:
Naw. Hugh Jass is interviewing here too - he has board scores of 250+ and has a patent pending on a new pcr technique.

Damn my cover is blown. :(

Loma Linda :D
Now I am waiting to hear from AZ, yes, I did add 2 more programs.
Congrats Brian and everyone else. I am so excited. I am gonna be a pathologist soon. Yeah!!!! peace out.

path2be said:
Loma Linda :D
Now I am waiting to hear from AZ, yes, I did add 2 more programs.
Congrats Brian and everyone else. I am so excited. I am gonna be a pathologist soon. Yeah!!!! peace out.
:thumbup:

I'm waiting to hear from AZ also, among others...

USC by e-mail :) . I guess the california programs are starting to move.

What are you suppose to wear for an interview dinner if it says business casual?

deschutes said:
Wow they actually sent you a dress code? :)

I would read business-casual as a step down from the suit - i.e. lose the jacket but keep most everything else!

Virgnia Tech seems to agree.

Thank you deschtes, I appreciate you answering.

Dr.Nick Riveria said:
Rejection by UVa :(

Sorry to hear that Dr. Nick...just out of curiosity, when did you submit your application? I am trying to gauge when I will hear from them...I submitted on 9/27 and am anxiously awaiting their reply! Also, I am assuming this came via email?
dlc

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum, it's nice to meet everybody. Just wanted to ask if somebody knows anything about Washington Hospital Center path program. How is the place?