Residency Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harisjameel

Reaction score
When can one expect to have interviews coming for IMGs, and when is the time to start panicking lol? Non-US IMG with 221,227,211 on USMLEs.

Members don't see this ad.

IMG is no different from AMG in this regard. One can expect IV anytime until deadline, which is Jan 31, 2021.
Friendly advice - don't propagate multiple threads devoted to similar issues, this is quite irritating and thus counterproductive.

Reactions: 1 users
IMG is no different from AMG in this regard. One can expect IV anytime until deadline, which is Jan 31, 2021.
Friendly advice - don't propagate multiple threads devoted to similar issues, this is quite irritating and thus counterproductive.
My apologies.

Members don't see this ad :)
My non-US Img friend has 4 already since day 1 this year so...sometimes it depends on your application . I personally had 4-5 within the first week...

My apologies.
@Iceman. I completely disagree with you on this. It has never been a level playing field for AMG vs IMG. It's common sense that AMGs get IVs earlier compared with IMGs.
Furthermore, HarisJameel simply asked an honest question. So there's nothing " irritating and thus counterproductive" about his concern. Be more tolerant !

@Iceman. I completely disagree with you on this. It has never been a level playing field for AMG vs IMG. It's common sense that AMGs get IVs earlier compared with IMGs.
Dunno what is "level playing field" means for you. My main point answering to his question is that "One can expect IV anytime until deadline, which is Jan 31, 2021.", would you disagree with that too?
It has nothing to do with whether AMG more competitive than IMG or something.

Furthermore, HarisJameel simply asked an honest question. So there's nothing " irritating and thus counterproductive" about his concern. Be more tolerant !
Can you please read the whole comment? Did I say his question is irritating? He created seven threads related to the same topic within a couple of weeks, that is what I'm talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
LOL If you are a 'good' IMG, you should already be sitting on 12 interviews like my friend is right now.
And trust me lol she needs a visa and she hasn't had the pathway completed yet since she still awaiting the English test results. AND she still has 12 confirmed IVs in good to top-tier programs. It is an even field if you have decent to respectable credentials... believe me...
If you haven't had any interviews yet then I am sure your application is LACKING!!!!
This is pathology after all...

The fact (generally) is that even if you get no interviews and don’t match, there will be plenty of leftovers.

There are certainly tiers of IMG candidates. When I was a resident at a large academic place, FMGs with PhDs and research backgrounds were prioritized along with AMGs without red flags, flagrant arrogance or a diagnosis on the spectrum. We also generally did not have issues with IMG Americans who had no red flags or issues passing USMLE tests.

Some of the smaller programs preferred people who had been pathologists in their own countries, probably due to not having to train or monitor them as closely.

Lastly, we had the FMG group with little or no pathology experience who decided on pathology as a backup or as a path of least resistance. This was the group most likely to have English issues, prior board failures(especially step 2 CS), no functional knowledge of what a pathologist does, and ultimately will go unmatched, SOAP in or fill the innumerable spots available at low-quality grossing mills masquerading as pathology residency programs. You can tell this group from a mile away . They are the ones who ask for a recommendation letter 20 minutes after meeting you or show up on the first day of fellowship knowing less about pathology than the rotating medical student.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
There are certainly tiers of IMG candidates. When I was a resident at a large academic place, FMGs with PhDs and research backgrounds were prioritized along with AMGs without red flags, flagrant arrogance or a diagnosis on the spectrum. We also generally did not have issues with IMG Americans who had no red flags or issues passing USMLE tests.

Some of the smaller programs preferred people who had been pathologists in their own countries, probably due to not having to train or monitor them as closely.

Lastly, we had the FMG group with little or no pathology experience who decided on pathology as a backup or as a path of least resistance. This was the group most likely to have English issues, prior board failures(especially step 2 CS), no functional knowledge of what a pathologist does, and ultimately will go unmatched, SOAP in or fill the innumerable spots available at low-quality grossing mills masquerading as pathology residency programs. You can tell this group from a mile away . They are the ones who ask for a recommendation letter 20 minutes after meeting you or show up on the first day of fellowship knowing less about pathology than the rotating medical student.

This is the most accurate classification of IMG pathology residents :clap:

The fact (generally) is that even if you get no interviews and don’t match, there will be plenty of leftovers.
There were only something like 11 spots left last year in SOAP so i dont know about that.. 11 out of 600 is not exactly plenty. However, many of the programs in general are BASURA aka trash. I interviewed in 21 programs and i experienced the trash with my own eyes! Its despicable some of the trash is still open, running and recruiting on top of that....

Last edited:
LOL If you are a 'good' IMG, you should already be sitting on 12 interviews like my friend is right now.
And trust me lol she needs a visa and she hasn't had the pathway completed yet since she still awaiting the English test results. AND she still has 12 confirmed IVs in good to top-tier programs. It is an even field if you have decent to respectable credentials... believe me...
If you haven't had any interviews yet then I am sure your application is LACKING!!!!
This is pathology after all...

Let's take a look at this, shall we ! Check out the graph attached "IMGs vs AMGs". Evidence-based only. No random " she still has confirmed.....LACKING".

Attachments

• IMG vs AMG.png
    IMG vs AMG.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 107
I am an associate program director and just went through quite a few applications to select some for the interview. I completely agree with "SunBakedTrash" classifications and just want to say that IMGs and FMGs with good applications are getting interviews from our program at the same time as AMGs.

In addition to "last hope or pathology as a back up" group, as eloquently described in the same SunBakedTrash post, the other group that not likely to get interviews are the ones who does not explain gaps or career changes in personal statement. Like your MedSchool training has been extended by 3 years and not a word in PS about it. Or "I had problems and had to drop residency in the middle of the year, but I am confident now it will not happen again". And letter from previous program director says 1 sentence that the applicant indeed was a resident of the program and that is all. Don't let my imagination to fill the gaps in the CV, because it does it usually not in applicant's favor... :)

And one more comment, step scores, although is an important factor, but not the only ones. The scores itself are not a big factors, the failures of the steps are.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am an associate program director and just went through quite a few applications to select some for the interview. I completely agree with "SunBakedTrash" classifications and just want to say that IMGs and FMGs with good applications are getting interviews from our program at the same time as AMGs.

In addition to "last hope or pathology as a back up" group, as eloquently described in the same SunBakedTrash post, the other group that not likely to get interviews are the ones who does not explain gaps or career changes in personal statement. Like your MedSchool training has been extended by 3 years and not a word in PS about it. Or "I had problems and had to drop residency in the middle of the year, but I am confident now it will not happen again". And letter from previous program director says 1 sentence that the applicant indeed was a resident of the program and that is all. Don't let my imagination to fill the gaps in the CV, because it does it usually not in applicant's favor... :)

And one more comment, step scores, although is an important factor, but not the only ones. The scores itself are not a big factors, the failures of the steps are.
Well said. I am a non US IMG.I have a career change explained in my PS, a CS attempt before passing it (will explain in interviews), 9 y old graduate (no gaps), above average scores ( 240-250), step 3 pass, visa requiring and 3 years basic science research background in USA with >20 first author publications including original research papers and abstracts and a few in the pipeline (in high impact journals). Also 2 pathology LORs and 2 LORs from research. I have 2 interviews till now from top tier programs (1 through contact and 1 without contact). I am keeping my fingers crossed for coming weeks. Will emailing the programs help? How can I make them read my application? Or they read all applications?

Last edited:
Covid will slowly crank down on the entire FMG pipeline soon if it hasnt already. Will see what happens tomorrow in the election, but I expect if what I think is going to happen, does indeed occur, we will be looking at a whole new situation for the residency landscape soon.

Covid will slowly crank down on the entire FMG pipeline soon if it hasnt already. Will see what happens tomorrow in the election, but I expect if what I think is going to happen, does indeed occur, we will be looking at a whole new situation for the residency landscape soon.
Hi, Covid will not affect IMGs who are already working in US. Election results won’t affect the cohort of IMGs already working in US as all visa rules exclude healthcare sector as they are needed to fight this pandemic.

Hi, Covid will not affect IMGs who are already working in US. Election results won’t affect the cohort of IMGs already working in US as all visa rules exclude healthcare sector as they are needed to fight this pandemic.

I didnt intend to comment on those already here, Im stating that I believe the PIPELINE for FMGs entering will be cut, if it already hasnt been. This could occur regardless of who is president honestly.

And I think that FMGs are needed in their home countries far more than they are needed here.

I expect in general what had been a free wheeling, borderless mass migration in the "post Berlin Wall collapse" era has now suddenly and dramatically come to an end for the foreseeable future. Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, South Pacific...everyone better be happy about where they are, no one is leaving folks.

You mean the covid-related travel restriction will sort of continue its momentum beyond the pandemic, as maybe some benefits are realized beyond public health? Interesting idea.

free wheeling, borderless mass migration in the "post Berlin Wall collapse" era
It was never the case, go learn some history and immigration law, dude.

everyone better be happy about where they are, no one is leaving folks.
Are you trying to say that everyone should go back to their ancestors Das Fatterland and you should start from yourself, otherwise it would be just hypocrisy, right?

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Well said. I am a non US IMG.I have a career change explained in my PS, a CS attempt before passing it (will explain in interviews), 9 y old graduate (no gaps), above average scores ( 240-250), step 3 pass, visa requiring and 3 years basic science research background in USA with >20 first author publications including original research papers and abstracts and a few in the pipeline (in high impact journals). Also 2 pathology LORs and 2 LORs from research. I have 2 interviews till now from top tier programs (1 through contact and 1 without contact). I am keeping my fingers crossed for coming weeks. Will emailing the programs help? How can I make them read my application? Or they read all applications?
I doubt any program reads all applications. There are filters in place that reduce the pool. Emailing or calling the program will not help (if not hurt, because PD may think that you are desperate). Based on what you said you will likely go through the filters and your application will be read (if not already). Due to step 2 CS failure (which you should have explained in the PS) you are not the top tier candidate, but at the same time all other factors will get you some interviews in the coming weeks, when the first tier applicants pool will get exhausted.

I doubt any program reads all applications. There are filters in place that reduce the pool. Emailing or calling the program will not help (if not hurt, because PD may think that you are desperate). Based on what you said you will likely go through the filters and your application will be read (if not already). Due to step 2 CS failure (which you should have explained in the PS) you are not the top tier candidate, but at the same time all other factors will get you some interviews in the coming weeks, when the first tier applicants pool will get exhausted.
Thanks for your insight.

Got 8 interviews till now

It was never the case, go learn some history and immigration law, dude.

Are you trying to say that everyone should go back to their ancestors Das Fatterland and you should start from yourself, otherwise it would be just hypocrisy, right?

Hmm...hard man. Im like a quarter Apache/Chicano sooooo I would need to divide my body up into parts to send myself back to the "Das Fatterland" leaving a 1/4 somewhere in the Sonora desert.

Why are you getting all testy man? with the Dude...dude... Did I personally insult you or something?

No one is coming, no one is leaving. Everyone is refugee as everywhere is ****hole country at this point.

Im also in California, we are lead here by the greatest hypocrites in human history so Im in good company dude.