interviews 2003/2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cesar, it probably doesn't matter a great deal. Iserson says in his book Getting Into a Residency that if you interview later, you will be fresher in peoples minds come ranking time. He argues that while this recency effect may be minimal, it does not hurt to have that on your side. That is probably good advice but again, I don't think the timing makes a huge difference. For what it's worth, I interviewed at the place I matched in December, which was the middle of their interview time.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from UC Irvine today. I heard from pretty much all the east coast schools I applied to. West coast schools seem to be slower or something.

Originally posted by globulin
I heard from UC Irvine today. I heard from pretty much all the east coast schools I applied to. West coast schools seem to be slower or something.

don't forget that they are 3 hours behind.

Members don't see this ad :)
GLOBIN or anyone,

what cali/west coast schools have you heard from other than UCI?

i heard from colorado on 10/9 by email

I've heard from UCSD, stanford, and UCI. Still waiting to hear on UCSF, UC davis, and UCLA.

Heard from:
UCSD
Cleveland Clinic
University Hospitals Cleveland
UTSW

in that order. Still waiting for any word from:
UNC
the two Baylors
UT Health Science in San Antonio.

As for interviews. I figure most programs will have a decent idea of me based on all the propaganda I've sent, so interview timing won't matter too much. I'm scheduling them whenever I feel like it. That, and I'd like to go to San Diego and Texas during January to get away from the Cleveland weather.

I heard from Dartmouth today (traditional mail). Not sure if anyone had posted an invite from them yet. I am too tired from medicine sub-I (miss path already!) to look through the previous posts. Of course, I actually added my Dartmouth application only about 2 weeks ago - added it late after hearing great things from pathologists I know.

Also heard from Utah recently (email) and Wash U (st louis) by email a while back - I did not get the phone call invite llike someone else had.

Didn't apply anywhere in Texas or California, so I can't help anyone out there. Both of those states scare me for various reasons.

i'm so excited, that I will post this again on this thread too!

got an Interview from Baystate/Tufts today by e-mail.

WOO HOO! my first 'view!

cheers

Nope, nothing from Michigan. On the other hand, since they only downloaded my app a week and a half ago, I'm not terribly surprised. I heard from Pittsburgh earlier this week.

yaah, I've heard great things about Dartmouth too. Someone told me a lot of their attendings are fantastic pathologists who trained at the really big-name places and then moved up there because it's such a gorgeous area. The hospital's new, and the curriculum seems strong -- I think they were one of the first places to add a separate informatics rotation. The Scutwork review is excellent too. If you don't mind the small-town aspect of it, I think it's an ideal place to be.

just heard from BWH. Kind of suprised as it seemed they starting notifying some of you about a month ago. unfortunately my trip to Boston is already set and I have no room to fit BWH in. Is it worth the extra trip? What is the low-down on the style of BWH. I only know it from reputation and faculty. How does the program work for residents?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Ri!

I liked Baystate a lot. In fact a 4th year Baystate resident just switched into MGH in a very peculiar way. She is really excellently trained. Best of luck to you... its a nice hospital with a solid program.

Mindy

thanks Mindy!

yeah, i've been hearing solid things about this program from a few people...so i'm looking forward to checking it out. did you interview there?

do you think this Tufts/Baystate program is a competitive one? It's classified as the Western Campus of Tufts University.

cheers!!!
-r

Does anyone know anything about the New England Medical Center Program in Boston? (Tufts)
Has anyone interviewed there?

I heard from UC-Davis today. Has anyone besides Rose Red heard from UCSF? Has anyone heard from UCLA? I hope they respond soon because arranging these interviews is getting tougher!

Finally heard from Michigan today by email :D

on 9/26, you wrote

"UCLA last week.

UCSF, Stanford and Washington (Seattle of course. I wouldn't be caught dead in the Midwest)\ this week.

All email"

They invited you twice?

tona, may I ask you how to apply these programs by e-mail? I also want to try this to save EARS application fee.

one of the residents was telling me that California is pretty tough for US students even....is there any truth to that? I figure UCSF and UCLA are obviously gonna be tough along with Stanford, etc.....but I figured that there are so many spots that US students would be able to find something in Cali....but this resident said that traditionally it's challenging for a non-Cali resident to land something.

being an IMG, California is a royal pain in the arse...so i didn't apply there.

Hi everyone,

My first post, I've been reading for a while now, so it's about time that I actually write something!

Ri- good to hear that things are starting to roll for you! I hope it keeps up.

I am an IMG-soon-to-be currently living in the wet bogs of Ireland. So far I have heard from the following programs offering interviews:

UVA
Dartmouth
NYU
Albert Einstein
Cornell
UCSD
UVM
U New Mexico
Stanford

I received a rejection from Duke.

I am still waiting on
MGH
BWH
Columbia

Since today is "dean's letter day" I suspect that the last few programs will make up their minds soon! At least i hope so, I need to make some travel plans!

Well, that's it. This has been a good thread and I can't wait to see what happens with you all in the next week or so! Good luck!

Pete

Does anyone know anything about the New England Medical Center Program in Boston? (Tufts)
Has anyone interviewed there?

PathologyPete...those are some SOLID interviews! nice one mate!

how are you coping with the California rules? Have you already got your Cali Letter? There are so many rules and regulations there....have you got them sorted?

cheers!

REJECTION: Oregon Health Sciences in Portland

fools!

Ririri

What are the "California Rules"? and who do they apply too?

Yaah, you gotta keep us updated about how your interviews go! congratulations and go land yourself some good rankings!

Pathstudent,

California has very strict rules when it comes to IMGs. Firstly a "California Letter" is required in order for an IMG to be credible to apply for a residency position in that state. This letter requires ECFMG certification, which can only be applied for *after* one gets a degree....so this in turn disqualifies many US-IMGs with US clinical rotations such as myself, who are essentially on the same timetable as US students. For example, i graduate in mid-April after finishing all of my rotations, i don't have the time to be able to quickly become ECFMG certified and apply for the California letter by the time the July residency start date occurs.

I guess this isn't such a big deal for IMGs who don't have US rotations and have already finished their degree in their homeland.

California also has stricter regulations towards US rotations that we do as US-IMGs. They thoroughly and unnecessarily investigate everything for us as if we are criminals. It's pretty pathetic.

I heard some Path. Residents telling me that California programs are pretty tough even for US Students/AMGs who didn't study in California or who aren't from California, although i'm not sure as to how true this is.

CHEERS!

I see. Those do seem like difficult hurdles.

Good thing they only have 10-12 programs.

Even more glad now I didn't apply anywhere in california. I think I'd go nuts if I had to live there. Just don't have that state of mind. And I thought Massachusetts politics were irritating!

Did get Meechigan by email today.They sent me a bunch of dates, unfortunately some of the missing dates are the ones I wanted...

Hi Ri and everyone else,

Sorry I have been slow in posting re the CA letter. I am doing an 'away' surgical rotation with little access to e-mail/phone...

When I applied to the CA programs I never really expeced to get interview offers, I applied because I had a few spots left on my ERAS application and figured that once the rejections came rolling in from CA it would mean that people were beginning to look at my app. Having said that, I will admit that I knew little about the CA letter when I applied, all I really knew was that people like myself needed to get one. I also have to admit that my applying to CA had a lot to do with the climate I have been inhabiting over the past 5 years: I long to be warm and dry! I hear that San Diego has the ideal climate for human existence (I say that with a grin, Yaah, as i am from Maine and think that New England is REALLY the best place to live!!)

Going to CA is a pain in terms of the 'california letter'. All I can say is that it is confusing and can take up to 6 months to get sorted out. I am gald that I am a US-IMG-soon-to-be so at least I don't have to deal with visa issues! The web site is: http://www.medbd.ca.gov if anyone is interested or looking at CA residency programs. I will keep you posted as to how it is going as the days and weeks march on.

Also, I received an invite from Mt. Sinai today via post. So far only UVM, Dartmouth and Mt.S have come by post, all others via e-mail, in case anyone is still keeping track of that sort of thing.

I will let you know how the CA process is going as I get more info.

later

Pete

Pete,

have you already applied for the CA letter and/or done the paperwork for it? make SURE that you stay on the ball with that stuff, cos' California is a real pain in the arse for licensing stuff. One of the people from the California board of licensure (Pat Park) often goes through SDN and has even replied to posts before....i would suggest calling her and speaking with her in detail BEFORE you find your self ranking these Cali programs at the top of your lists.

I don't think Cali is impossible, i mean there have been IMGs that have easily done it with organization and drive...but it just has a whole seperate agenda of things to do. They might also have certain elective requirements.

my apologies if you are already on top of all this and if i'm being redundant, but I would hate to see you go through all of this only to have trouble later. You have some good invites on your interview list!! keep us updated with how they go!!

cheers!

Anyone hear from the following programs?

Columbia
Hartford
Boston University
U of Washington

Has anyone else heard from Georgetown? I was downright embarrassed by the letter that I received. It had MULTIPLE grammar errors and mistypings, not to mention the fact that it was a form letter.

For those of you who applied to Michigan and have heard back(one of my last 2 holdouts) when did you apply?

Thanks all and keep up the good work!

G

Sorry, didn't apply to any of those 4 places.

I applied to Michigan in early September with the rest of my apps. They didn't download anything until a couple weeks ago though.

Where is your other holdout?

I have been very impressed with the invite and accomodation styles of some places - Iowa, Vermont and Dartmouth in particular. The Brigham also sends out a huge informative brochure. There is only one place that hasn't been that polite or helpful.

I also applied to Columbia and have not heard from them yet either. I did get an invite from Brigham's today, no dates until January! Last rung on the ladder there or what! I am beginning to have flashbacks to grade school gym class where you'd stand in a line and wait to get picked for teams...PICK ME, PICK ME!!! It's JV basketball all over again, I am def JV at a few places! My only holdouts are MGH, Columbia, and Brown. It seems like things have really slowed up for people. By the way I was told about a great web site called www.bestplaces.net that is really worth checking out, it has a great option to compare costs of living between different cities. You can even fill out a form and it will select the best city for you to live. It's worth a try anyway.

Pete

Heard from hartford.

I added BU and UWash in mid-october. I hope that's not too late!

Originally posted by pathologypete
By the way I was told about a great web site called www.bestplaces.net that is really worth checking out, it has a great option to compare costs of living between different cities. You can even fill out a form and it will select the best city for you to live. It's worth a try anyway.

I love that site! It told me I should live in Salt Lake City so I applied to Utah - my only place that far west. I guess because I said I like winter and mountains. We'll see!

I also like www.findyourspot.com which is a bit more specific. That one says I belong in Iowa.

hey Jeeves. welcome aboard!

errrm....Psychpath?

i suppose it's possible...anything is possible. I dunno how you would correlate the 2 fields really. You wanna do brain biopsies on schizo patients? LOL.

but again, anything is possible. i like the creativity in a dual residency, but i have found that correlating them could be a bit tough.

If it were me, i would Pathoradiology. That means I could do ALL of the FNAs and diagnose them myself as well. a one man wrecking crew of a physician!

cheers!

heard from georgetown today, but won't go as they were too slow, and my plans are set

heard from baylor today by email.

no word from georgetown. anyone know much at gwu in DC?

Two holdouts - Michigan and UMaryland-Baltimore. I have heard from all the other programs to which I applied. I applied to Michigan late, so that is how I rationalize not hearing from them, but Baltimore is a nutha story...

maryland just paged me- forget the e-mail or even snail mail- they paged me. i returned the page cause i have family in maryland so firgured it was a family member- oh -i applied on the first day eras opened so you should be ready for a page, a telegram- or smoke signals for all i know.

oh as for gw- i have been told to be careful when they have a cab take you to the va and childrens- getting a cab at childrens can be a problem.

-p

i know that u of maryland-baltimore is running behind. apparently, 1 of their residents left unexpectedly so they were busy trying to fill that position before they started looking at next year's class.

Well folks,
this process is bizarre to say the least. I got canned by UNC, UVA, UWSeattle, UTSouthwestern. I canned penn. Interviewing at MGH, BID, ClClinic, WashU, Iowa. Waiting on columbia, cornell, brigham, hopkins, mayo, uchicago, pitt and michigan. Boy do they take their time. I guess if we don't hear from them in 2 weeks time, it's game over. Anyone else have any wisdom or input?

Yeah, I agree this whole process sometimes seems a bit bizarre and almost random. I would think that if you get an invite to MGH, you should've gotten interviews at some of the other schools you mentioned. I know Pitt and Cornell sent out invitations already. How can you have gotten an invite to MGH and not Pitt???? Who knows.

Can anybody post the interviews dates at MGH and Boston Univ?
Thanks