Interviewing In A Hotel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MO05E

Reaction score
I had a vacation planned for the day my interview was scheduled. Will this adversely affect me any way?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a vacation planned for the day my interview was scheduled. Will this adversely affect me any way?
No - if you feel your hotel room looks too casual, see if your hotel has a business center and do your interview from there.
Pack your interview clothes!

Reactions: 5 users
A problem interviewing in a hotel room? Not at all! It is unlikely that anyone would even notice. Be sure not to sit with your back to a window unless there are drapes that can be closed.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Find a plain wall and orient your camera against that. May have to move desk/bed around but just move it back afterwards

Reactions: 1 users
No - if you feel your hotel room looks too casual, see if your hotel has a business center and do your interview from there.
Pack your interview clothes!
Might be careful doing this unless it’s individual rooms. Many hotel business centers I have been in can get noisy.

I’d probably just recommend turning the camera to face a wall so it looks like any other room and put up a DND sign.

Reactions: 2 users
Just interviewed someone from a hotel room. They had the curtains open and I could see beach and ocean in the background.

I guess I wouldn't recommend that totally. However, I don't get bothered by those types of things. I enjoyed the view from afar and it gave us something to talk about for a bit.

I guess everyone has their line. For me personally, if I see someone interviewing in a bright orange and purple suit I check it off as a failed attempt to be memorable (your accomplishments and personality should do that). Interesting socks with an otherwise appropriate suit? That's ok. Open curtains while interviewing at a vacation spot? Bah, no biggie imo. I didn't even think twice about it until I read this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Also interviewed in a hotel this cycle. One thing I'll mention is test out the connectivity of the wifi ahead of time if you can. For example, I called my friend over Zoom for about 15 minutes just to get an idea if the connection was stable or not. If it's amazing, then great. If not, then at least it's not a total surprise during interview day. Mine was not great, so I shot a heads up to the admissions office ahead of time and they gave me a couple phone numbers to call on the day of if anything went wrong.

Reactions: 3 users
its not like an interviewer knows ur at a hotel…