Interviewing While Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowman888

Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle but I'll be in Asia for almost the entire interview period (August through April/May). I've been limiting my school list to ones offering virtual interviews only, but I wanted to ask if any schools wokld be likely to make an exception since my program won't allow me to return to the US at all during the year.

Also, would it be worth applying to schools that have not yet released a decision about virtual interviews?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You probably should have waited until next cycle to apply. So much can go wrong with virtual interviews and Asia is in a way different time zone. But what’s done is done. I wouldn’t apply to any more schools this cycle. However many you applied to will be what you have to work with. (How many did you apply to? ) Why waste money on schools that haven’t indicated how they will hold interviews.
One of the wonderful ADCOMS on here, @gonnif , strongly encourages applicants to consider applying as a full time job, especially in the interview cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
While virtual interviews will be more the norm than not, you take a risk with finding a strong wireless connection. Okay, maybe not since Asia in general has better connections than the US, but you still don't want to risk a random outage (as it happened a few times last summer, looking at you Verizon).

To the OP's credit, it still looks like most schools will stay virtual for Interviews and go on-campus with accepted student events.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll be fine. Just be prepared to maybe pull all nighters. Interview from 8-5 EST = 8PM-5AM

While virtual interviews will be more the norm than not, you take a risk with finding a strong wireless connection. Okay, maybe not since Asia in general has better connections than the US, but you still don't want to risk a random outage (as it happened a few times last summer, looking at you Verizon).

To the OP's credit, it still looks like most schools will stay virtual for Interviews and go on-campus with accepted student events.
I will be at a university that I've confirmed has reliable internet. I've also secured permission to use this space for interviews late into the night. While it's not my first preference, I think this experience will be worth it.

I should be back in time for the on-campus events in the case that I am accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the one year that you may be able to get away with it. In before times, this would have been a "no-go". I guess one good thing came out of the mess of the last 2.5 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Time difference will be your biggest issue. I interviewed overseas for most of the 2020-2021 cycle. This was the first year of virtual interviews since we were in the thick of the pandemic and I jumped at the opportunity to work abroad. Interviewers never found out I was overseas until I logged into Zoom. I don’t know if I would have felt comfortable asking for an accommodation. Also, I was in Europe. Time difference was not too bad. My interviews would usually start after I would get back from work and the longest interview went until 11pm my time. If you are in Asia, you will no doubt be pulling all nighters on those interview days.

Reactions: 1 user