Interviewing for 2 specialties at the same institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runescape

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got 2 interview calls for neurology and child neurology at the same institution because I am doing research there and I hope to continue my academic career in this institution as I am deeply committed to its mission. I attended the adult neurology interview and I expressed deep interest. My Child neurology interview is soon and I just got the news that there will be a brief meeting with the PD of adult neurology. How should I handle this situation and does this mean that I just destroyed my chances at both programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I got 2 interview calls for neurology and child neurology at the same institution because I am doing research there and I hope to continue my academic career in this institution as I am deeply committed to its mission. I attended the adult neurology interview and I expressed deep interest. My Child neurology interview is soon and I just got the news that there will be a brief meeting with the PD of adult neurology. How should I handle this situation and does this mean that I just destroyed my chances at both programs?
Isn't half of peds neuro an adult neuro residency anyway?

...does this mean that I just destroyed my chances at both programs?

Probably not, but there's nothing you can do about this anyway.
Keep in mind that you should probably decide what specialty you actually want. Adults are very different than pediatric patients.

I know we had a pre-application advisory session with the adult neuro folks, with both PDs in attendance, and the question of dual-applying came up. Both PDs felt that applying to both programs would show that the applicant wasn't very serious about their respective specialty, and that it would hurt one's chances of matching at that institution. Obviously, this is only the perspective from my home program - the fact that both programs opted to interview you might mean that it doesn't matter as much at this one. I'd just assume that you have a fair shot and take the interview as seriously as any other.

You could email the PD and say something along the lines of “ thanks for the adult neurology interview and I am looking forward to meeting you again for the child Neurology interview”. That way it’s not too awkward seeing each other again when you go for the second interview.

I don’t think it shows you’re a less serious candidate to interview at both their “ neurology programs” but rather you are interested in all aspects of neurology or willing to train at either program. It’s not like interviewing for a psych residency then Dermatology the next week. Good luck!

Agree with above. I would also make sure to talk about what you have been doing since the summer that will ultimately help you decide what you want and in which direction you are leaning. It’s hard because when we apply we don’t necessarily know exactly what we are looking for (and may not have had exposure to many fields within the specialty). I would hope the PD would understand that.

N = 2, but both of the people from my medical school class who applied peds neuro applied to adult programs as well. It is also pretty common on the psych side of things for triple boarders to apply to general residencies as well. It seems like there are way too few child neuro programs out there to reasonably expect applicants to limit themselves so strictly.

Reactions: 1 user