interview stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is what I have heard from people who work/know about Rush. I was told to avoid rush.

1. There was massive turnover of attendings and residents at Rush. The previous PD left to go to John's Hopkins. He told one resident to leave(who did leave) and within a year 2 more residents left. The current PD is the only attending who as been at Rush for more than a 2-3 years.

2. The biggest problem with rush from what I heard was that there ARE big egos. The former asst. program director left for Michigan because he was harrassed by the current PD. And he was a single guy so moving from Chicago to Ann Arbor is a big step down. The current PD took actions to sabotage every resident that left the program's malignant environment. There was a year where every rush attending except the current PD turned over. The recent grad working at an ortho group couldn't get a decent job in Chicago and moved out of state. He refused to work at rush even though a position was open and someone else from outside the program took that attending position. All rush grads refuse to work at rush because of politics and in fact the current PD is the only rush grad working at the program. There may even more attending turnover coming in the future.

3. Why has rush failed to fill the past many years despite being located in the heart of chicago if it is such a great program? Why are there so many FMGs there despite the fact that rehab is getting much more popular?

4. I was told that residents there are not happy and in some circumstances are scared because of the politics and not to believe the smoke and mirrors. It supposedly is a place where you must survive the politics to do well and a jock mentality and the backstabbing attitude persists. Isn't it odd that you said someone got into cleveland clinic spine fellowship but you don't know if they went? The therapists and other ancillary staff members know of what I am talking about.

I was told that it's pretty much RIC or bust in chicago. The reason I am posting this is that the description of rush is completely opposite to what I heard and what the match results have also conflicted with what you typed so I couldn't figure it out. Hopefully I'm wrong but I didn't want to consider the place based on what I heard, namely that people got hurt there. How can anyone reconcile those descrepancies. The kind of things that I heard about likely would take many years to resolve if they ever do.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. Has our dept. got some PR to do.

Well here goes, I'll try to address everything you've "heard".

1. There has been no massive "turnover" of attendings or residents at least since I've been here. I'm a PGY-3 this year. The only turnover I can think of that you may be referring to is our split with another Chicago program where we did some inpt. rotations. Those rotations, as I previously stated have been replaced by additional EMG, MSK/ortho/sports and interventional spine. The previous program director did leave (3 1/2 years ago). If you read my previous post you'll see that I stated that he was known to be eccentric. No one was sad to see him leave. The only resident to leave the program was dismissed (class of 2004).

2. Was the former asst. program director harrassed? You'd have to ask him. As for some of his reasons for leaving, PM me if you like, I don't feel comfortable discussing someone else's personal life on a public message board. Our current program director isn't a Rush grad (sorry, I'm really questioning the validity of the info you were given). I have worked closely with our current program director and can't picture him harrassing anybody much less trying to sabatoge anybody's career. If anything, he has worked tirelessly to create rotations and educational experiences explicitly requested by the residents. If you were referring to the previous PD that left 3 1/2 years ago and went to Hopkins then yes, he was a Rush grad. As far as I know, there will be no attending turnover in the foreseeable future. In fact, interviews are currently in progress to expand the faculty. As for the recent grad working at an ortho group, I just spoke with him at a dinner last weekend. He's doing very well and is actively involved in recruiting for his group. You have to remember, not everyone wants a career in academic medicine. All Rush grads refuse to work at Rush? Really? Two recent faculty members were Rush grads. One had to leave due to family illness, the other left to pursue fellowship training. Currently, our recent grad who is at the MSU sports/EMG fellowship is interviewing to come back to Rush next summer.

3. Why has the program failed to fill recently? Your guess is as good as mine. My suspicion is that information like that which was passed on to you has yet to dissipate. I'm wondering where you got your information. Former residents? I must admit when I interviewed here(fall '01) I was not impressed with the residents. Then again they have all since moved on. If this is where you're getting your info, I would judge the program on the current residents and not those graduating pre '04. Granted, if former residents were not fortunate enough to receive certain training opportunities that I am receiving now, I can understand them being upset. I truly hope that no former resident would attempt to discredit the program as some sort of silly revenge.

4. I assure you PGY 2-4 are all quite content. "Backstabbing attitude?" "Politics?" "Smoke and mirrors"? Are you talking about the hospital or within the dept? I hang out w/ all the other (current)residents regularly and I have never seen or heard of any ill will expressed toward myself or anyone else. On the contrary, when I first arrived in July of '03, everyone was completely helpful and supportive (picking up the slack) until I got myself settled. Currently, the PGY-4s are all looking forward to their prospects for jobs/fellowships and the PGY-2s/3s are excited about the current structure of the program. Are the interns happy? Probably not. They're medicine interns and I don't see them much. Then again, what intern is happy. Is it possible that residents before my time were unhappy? Yes. That's a distinct possibility. The program was more inpt based in the late 90's and early 00's. As for the faculty, they have been nothing but supportive of each resident's career goals and have been instrumental in helping me to coordinate with the ortho spine dept. in conducting research.

5. To clarify, the aformentioned resident (since graduated) was offered the fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic and no she did not accept it. While I won't go into hows and whys involving the details of someone's personal life and the circumstances of her acceptance into the residency program, PM me if you must know. To clarify, she is the only resident I've heard to have had difficulty getting along with others. Needless to say, she wasn't anybody's "favorite" resident. BTW, I would hope you would take the time to accurately inform yourself about a program beyond talking to "therapists" and other "ancillary staff"(who are you referring to here social workers?, ward clerks?, nurses?, janitors?.) That being said, they were probably around to witness the program in the '90s and early '00s. I can only describe to you my training experience from a resident's point of view in 2004.

If there is one thing that I will stand firm on is that everything I posted in my description of the program is 100% true as I know it. I suspect you received your information from a former resident and/or hospital staff members who have seen the program through the late 90s and early into the new millenium, but have somehow gotten alot of your facts or "hearsay" mixed up. If you want an honest description of what this program is from a resident's point of view circa 2003-04/05, please take my original post to heart.

As I see it, you have three options regarding this program. You can:

a. Take my word for it.
b. Come interview and see for yourself.
c. Rely on what you've been able to piece together from "therapists", "ancillary staff" and possibly, disgruntled former residents.

Hopefully you'll make the wise decision and come in for an interview.

I never new such negative if not inaccurate information was floating around out there until I joined this board. I've come to the realization that negative images take time to fade away just as positive reputations built over the years seem to bolster the image of some programs now on a slow decline. I've discussed this matter on several occasions with our chief residents and hopefully steps are being taken to dispell the rumors.

To any other prospective applicants who may have "heard" various concerning tidbits of information about the program, feel free to PM me. I will either verify or refute whatever you've heard and will answer your questions in as much detail as you request.

To the moderators of this forum: Do you think we can start another Interview Trail forum for the class of 2005 and soon to be residents? I would do it myself. But I don't know how to make it a sticky or whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

Can any of you who interviewed at Univ of WA give some insight into your experience there and what impressed you (positively or negatively) about the program? Is it truly malignant, or is that a remnant of the past? I'm trying to decide whether to interview there or not...

Thank you!

Anybody hear from Cornell-Columbia's PM&R program? I've heard from a lot of other programs (interviews and rejections) But nothing from them. Not even a rejection letter. They sent me a letter telling me to apply. Which was pretty stupid cuz I already did. But nothing from them.

DJPJ69Camaro
keikibaby said:
Hey guys!

Can any of you who interviewed at Univ of WA give some insight into your experience there and what impressed you (positively or negatively) about the program? Is it truly malignant, or is that a remnant of the past? I'm trying to decide whether to interview there or not...

Thank you!

1 of 6 interviewees out of a total of about 60 for 5 spots. Day started at 8am with informal discussion with the program coordinator. She basically discussed how to succeed in the match, and some basics about the program, it was very comfortable and helpful. Interviews began thereafter with the Chair, PD, Chief resident, PGY-2 resident, and the program coordinator. The interviews were pretty laid back. Questions were mostly basic and both chair and PD asked about interest in research. Dr. Strasser the chair was the only interviewer who had reviewed my file and he asked more questions related to my past experiences. Interviews with residents were laid back as well. After interviews we toured CRM and the Shepherd center, and then went to lunch to end the day.

Emory is in a nice part of Atlanta and CRM shares campus with Emory undergrad, business school, law school etc. Other facilities are somewhat spread out. Shepherd center was about 15-20 mins from Emory campus. Of course the ATL is great and offers all the pluses and minuses of a major city.

You hear that Emory is strong when it comes to interventional and the residents really do get a lot of exposure. They say there is no competition to do procedures at all and you really can do a lot. Most of the residents I talked to were interested in MSK/sports/spine and were impressed with exposure available. Some residents were talking of practicing in orthopaedic and neurosurgery practices. They felt the Emory name was helpful when interviewing outside of PM&R. The rotation schedule has recently been changed to blocks of 2 month rotations instead of three, and residents who had experienced both say this really helps avoid burnout. Call is in house covering the 56 bed CRM, which usually has about 45 patients. Call was said to be pretty light with about 6 hours sleep a night and averaging out to about Q-9. Residents carry between 15-25 patients depending on the service. Relationships between residents and faculty are very congenial. Residents rotate at Shepherd Center, Grady Memorial (consults, lots of EMG), Wesley Woods Geriatric Center, VA (lots of EMG/interventional spine/pain management), Scottish Rite Children’s, and CRM. Some sites are private and others academic, and the range was touted by the chair as an advantage of the program. Average day is 7-5 or home earlier depending on service. Parking is free. Benefits are good. I think there were 3 weeks of vacation with some additional conference time.

Overall, I really liked this program. There is lots of interventional experience and ample opportunities for other procedures as well. Emory has one of a handful of PM&R affiliated pain fellowships. Residents match well into fellowships (chief was doing pain in San Fran and others PGY-4’s were interviewing for jobs/fellowships). What should not be overlooked is the well-rounded nature of this program. There is great exposure to LOTS of pathology as far as inpatient experience goes. The facilities at CRM are average and the ancillary staff was said to be excellent. I think coming out of this program, one will be able to pursue any practice type or fellowship they want. This will definitely be a top choice of mine!

Good luck to all!

Hi,
I am currently a PGY-2 Resident here at UT-Southwestern in Dallas and I hope I can give you some information about our program.
We have an extremely friendly, approachable and wonderful faculty who really go out of their way to help us in any way needed.
Dr. Garstang is our program director and you will never find a more dedicated physician for her patients or residents.
This program is very "hands on" which is something I love!! I find myself as a PGY-2 learning EMG's, doing botox injections every friday, trigger points and joint injections while seeing SCI, TBI pt's etc... There is never a shortload of patients and procedures. Our didactics every Friday are very informative and of course whatever rotation you are on, the attending will give you short lectures during the week.
Our class of PGY-2's get along great, and the upper levels are very helpful and teach us what they can. We tend to go out together at least every other week as a group to picnics, or Drug sponsored happy hours :laugh:
There is too much to talk about, but I can tell you sincerely that I am extremely happy I chose this residency and would do so on a heartbeat.
Please write me back with specific questions and I will answer them as best I can. I hope to see you on the interview trail since most of us try to attend and meet all the incoming interviewees.
Good luck and please write back w/questions.
P.S. Our call schedule is not bad at all either, PGY-2 and PGY-3 call is q-12 or q-15 depending on the month and PGY-4 is no call. :thumbup:

QUOTE=BCJ]Hello all,

Can you please tell me about the University of Texas, Southwestern in Dallas and their PM&R program. I've been offered an interview there, and I wouldn't mind getting some first hand information about their program.

Once I interview there I'll be sure to come back and tell you all about it, but I won't be interviewing until mid December.

Thanks, and Cheers[/QUOTE]

this thread has been pretty quiet! I am looking for any feedback from people who have interviewed at any of the places I have coming up....

Interviews coming up: Temple, Uwash, Spaulding, RIC, Madison (WI), UC Davis

Here are some of the places I've been lately and would be glad to share interview impressions/stories: Jefferson, Upenn, NRH, LSU, Sinai (Balt.), Tufts

Jeff: residents seemed very happy and had many postive things to say. Small interviewee group. Great facility. 3 interviews, 2 were good, one had a lot of pimping and not sure how I did given I had 3 hours of sleep from flight being canceled.

Upenn: 3 interviews, very laid back, well stuctured day, big applicant group (>15?). If you are a DO expect to be asked about your intentions for the match (DO vs. MD) given they are exclusively a four year program

NRH: facility very posh and PD one of the nicest people I've met. 2/3 interviewers asked ethics/situational ?'s which varied from pretty easy to a little bizarre-but asked in a very non-confront. way. Just be prepared to think on your feet. Would have liked to met more residents. Small interviewee group.

LSU: my first interview. laid back interviews but a grueling day given the number of interviews (7-9). Could not tell you what I was asked by those last two. On the plus side met many faculty and residents (all?) and seemed like very cohesive group.

Spaulding-have not yet interviewed but rotated at earlier this year, enjoyed the faculty, quality of residents, atmosphere, and the depth of the program. I'm from Boston so will likely be one of my top picks-interview next month and I'll see how that goes.

Please PM me for further details on any of the above or if you have stories to shar post here or PM as appropriate.

macman said:
this thread has been pretty quiet! I am looking for any feedback from people who have interviewed at any of the places I have coming up....

Interviews coming up: Temple, Uwash, Spaulding, RIC, Madison (WI), UC Davis

Here are some of the places I've been lately and would be glad to share interview impressions/stories: Jefferson, Upenn, NRH, LSU, Sinai (Balt.), Tufts

Jeff: residents seemed very happy and had many postive things to say. Small interviewee group. Great facility. 3 interviews, 2 were good, one had a lot of pimping and not sure how I did given I had 3 hours of sleep from flight being canceled.

Upenn: 3 interviews, very laid back, well stuctured day, big applicant group (>15?). If you are a DO expect to be asked about your intentions for the match (DO vs. MD) given they are exclusively a four year program

NRH: facility very posh and PD one of the nicest people I've met. 2/3 interviewers asked ethics/situational ?'s which varied from pretty easy to a little bizarre-but asked in a very non-confront. way. Just be prepared to think on your feet. Would have liked to met more residents. Small interviewee group.

LSU: my first interview. laid back interviews but a grueling day given the number of interviews (7-9). Could not tell you what I was asked by those last two. On the plus side met many faculty and residents (all?) and seemed like very cohesive group.

Spaulding-have not yet interviewed but rotated at earlier this year, enjoyed the faculty, quality of residents, atmosphere, and the depth of the program. I'm from Boston so will likely be one of my top picks-interview next month and I'll see how that goes.

Please PM me for further details on any of the above or if you have stories to shar post here or PM as appropriate.

looking over my post I should clarify that small vs. big interviewee group is not a reflection of how competive a program is, but more reflects how many days they tend to interview on.

I am a student who rotated through and interviewed at NRH. I just wrote a long note about it which got eaten by this board. Please read the latest scutwork review of it. That guy is understating the problems there. Seriously. When I was there, the residents were having an outright fight with the PD and admin. There was letter writing, threats going BOTH ways, all kinds of garbage. I am talking a stinking rebellion. 2/4 of the pgy-II's left last year. At least one is openly trying to leave now. All of them would leave, I think, if they could.

I'll be glad to answer questions privately, if you like. If there is enough interest, I will try to post my observations again. I won't air much dirty laundry, as this is not the place and it would not be professional. I am just real sad for the residents. They seemed pretty smart, nice, and very depressed.

NR

reyerson77 said:
I am a student who rotated through and interviewed at NRH. I just wrote a long note about it which got eaten by this board. Please read the latest scutwork review of it. That guy is understating the problems there. Seriously. When I was there, the residents were having an outright fight with the PD and admin. There was letter writing, threats going BOTH ways, all kinds of garbage. I am talking a stinking rebellion. 2/4 of the pgy-II's left last year. At least one is openly trying to leave now. All of them would leave, I think, if they could.

I'll be glad to answer questions privately, if you like. If there is enough interest, I will try to post my observations again. I won't air much dirty laundry, as this is not the place and it would not be professional. I am just real sad for the residents. They seemed pretty smart, nice, and very depressed.

NR

Unfortunately, I have to fully agree with Reyerson77. I rotated there last year and I was very disappointed by the program. They have so much potential and resources but there is more than meets the eye. There are internal conflicts like you said. I did hear what happened and it is ugly. I actually know the people who left. The interviewers (PD and faculty) are great at selling their program and they give a great acting performance. You really have to ask the right questions during the interviews.

I was asked by a couple of people to post what I know, so here goes.

1) Yes, the admin and PD do a good job of selling the program, as Dr. Vlad said. The reality is much different. The faculty doesn't seem to like the PD, the PD is always trying to get something on the faculty, and the residents are caught in the middle. She is always trying to get the residents to complain about/review on paper/rat out the faculty. Then she turns around and documents all kinds of crap about the residents...stuff that I can't see has anything to do with them being doctors.

2) Forget about teaching, you'd think that the only reason the residents are here is to cover call at night/weekends. There are some noteable exceptions in the outpatient areas, but the residents don't get to see those people very much. And since the residents only get 1 elective month...well, it isn't like they can just seek out the good ones on their own.

3) Since teaching is poor, the PD has a program of tests. The residents get a list of 20+ chapters in Braddom every 2 months, and more in some other texts I think, and then get written tests on them. The residents said the questions were silly: "What is the 3rd most common side effect of X", or "Brain injury is the 1st/2nd/3rd or 4th most common cause of death in males aged x to y." It doesn't seem like it is physiatry, just trivia. Then, the tests don't match rotations. You may be on a peds rotation, but have to take a test on something totally unrelated, then take a test in peds when you are on, like, radiology or something like that. But I guess it keeps you reading.

4) "Reporting". The staff at the hospital are always trying to get the residents in trouble. If an attending doesn't like something the resident did, they just complain to the PD, and never confront the residents or ask why they did something. Real passive agressive type stuff. Same thing with nursing. The therapists seem pretty cool, though.

5) Non-physiatrist attendings: Brain injury is run by a neurologist who only practiced in the community for a short time before just taking over the unit. Ortho is by a rheumatologist. Neither of them knows anything about physiatry.

6) Attendance: If you are even 10 seconds late for lecture, you are counted absent. The PD takes away the sign in sheet and that is that. The problem is that you need to make a certain percentage and if you don't, you are brought before some committee. Because of traffic, residents are ALWAYS late. This is DC! I have literally seen residents walk in at 7:31 for a 7:30 lecture and they are busted. It is kind of like homeroom in high school, only worse because these residents are doctors getting treated this way.

7) Finally: One of the residents told me that going there was about the dumbest thing he ever did. These residents all interviewed at top-notch places, and it sounds like they ranked NRH high because of how it was sold to them on interview day. They are regretting it now.

Again, this is the only stuff I can say in public because if I said any more, people would know who I was talking about and I don't want anyone to get in trouble. The residents were really cool because they took me aside and told me everything, and I know the administration there would probably do something to them. Well, I don't know that, but I wouldnot be suprised. If you want to know more, just e-mail some of the residents and they will tell you directly. Or on your interview day just ask "Are you happy?" and get rocked by the response. That is, if you get to meet any. The PD only lets one or two residents meet with interviewees at a time, and then only in the presense of the cheif resident, who is the only one who is friendly with the PD. But they still try to tell it like it is and I give them props.

drvlad2004 said:
Unfortunately, I have to fully agree with Reyerson77. I rotated there last year and I was very disappointed by the program. They have so much potential and resources but there is more than meets the eye. There are internal conflicts like you said. I did hear what happened and it is ugly. I actually know the people who left. The interviewers (PD and faculty) are great at selling their program and they give a great acting performance. You really have to ask the right questions during the interviews.

I wanted to ask people what they thought of NYU/RUSK's program now. I understand it went through some changes but are residents satisfied being there or are they just tolerating the place now?

Members don't see this ad :)
DJPJ69Camaro said:
I wanted to ask people what they thought of NYU/RUSK's program now. I understand it went through some changes but are residents satisfied being there or are they just tolerating the place now?
I rotated there as a student and was not impressed by the program personally. It is not as horrible as some people have mentioned but it isn't up there with other high quality programs. NYU/Rusk is well-rounded and you don't have to go far to different rotation sites like Cornell/Columbia. You have to get used to the heavy inpatient environment of Rusk. Rusk has the highest volume of patients in, probably, the nation. Therefore, you will do a lot of internal medicine. This is the NYC metro area and therefore you have to expect a high volume of patients and a heavier call schedule. I think that Cornell has a heavier call schedule than NYU. 4th year residents are still taking overnight calls at Rusk.

The residents seemed a little disappointed about their program but they have made some changes. They appear to be tolerating the program but it is not meant to be a cush program, and neither is the other NYC programs (St. Vincent's might have better work hours). After the first year, the residents seemed more satisfied but there were missing holes. The lectures were much to be desired. I saw nearly all the residents sitting in the far back and not getting anything from the lectures. Maybe that was b/c they are so busy with floorwork. The residents seemed to be more drawn to the name of NYU/Rusk, its storied history, and being in Manhattan than to the actual quality of the program. NYU/Rusk does have a great network once you finish, but I found that to be the same with any other program. Personally, none of the NYC programs stood out like the ones in Jersey and Philly. It depends on what you are looking for (inpatient, outpatient, EMG, sports?).

BTW, does anyone have feedback about other programs, including ones not often mentioned?

Rotated through and interwiewed there recently

I have to say, solid program, no doubt. Looking at this years chiefs, they know what they are talking about, they feel confident in their knowlegde to go out and practice, pretty chill bunch overall. On an interesting side note, all five of them applied into interventional spine -- and have placed pretty damn well, so we know this program's name is worth something. Many people are not particlularly happy with the away site (sometimes a lot of traveling is involved), but as both the chiefs and the PD on interview day will tell u, they would have gladly dispenced with them if not for the overwhelmingly positive feedback from residents each year regarding the educational experience there.

Ok, interview day...
Very very tiring, 6 interviewers, 11 applicants there, each applicant gets 20 mins with each of the 6 intervieweres. its really like a game of musical chairs ... the rooms are straight down the hall, jump out of one, jump in the next one. There are secretaries running around and giving five min warnings, directing people back and forth .. so fun fun fun. One of the people was PD, nice lady, very relaxed interview, obviously has read my file pretty well. Then four more interviewers, each of whom ranged from having skimmed to never even looked at your file, all of them extremely nice, u were pretty much talking about whatever u wanted to talk, no hardcore q's, lots of anecdotes and story telling, u get the drift... and then one final interview .... very very tough, u really gotta have your answers straight before going in there, I am warning you, if you are gonna name something as your strength, better be able to back it up. There will be extensive notes on your file on the desk, and every questionable point in your file will be reviewed in detail (as u can probably tell, I had a few of those). The caper -- interview finishes with the brightest smile u ever seen and a warm thank you. Dont say I didnt warn ya...
Yeah, u also get a tour, including the housing, which is in fact kinda sweet....

Interiew day was somewhat interesting ...
The program is really up and coming, or so they keep repeating ... my experience of it was as follows

Fairly short interview day, conducted at their outpt facility on the island (fairly nice and all, but u dont get to see the hospitals or anything -- no tour). 3 interviews, all pretty cool -- particularly liked the program director, young, enthusiastic guy, very cool to chat with, very open about anything, goes that extra mile to make u feel as comfortable as possible -- none of that militaristic feel u get from some of the old school physicians on the interview trail. All of the intervews were really relaxed, no hard questions, not really much in terms of traditional q's either, and although someone there did ask me to define "physical medicine and rehabilitation," no pimping or anything. Dr. Lipets was also interesting to listen to -- from what I heard his rotation is really high yield and is well liked (he is an interventional spine dude in private practise on the island, mineola I think), I think this is one of the big pluses of the program if u are interested in spine. The chairman of Dept also doubles as a chair of the Neurology dept (we only saw him very briefly). I really got the feeling that PD and Lipets (who I think now carries the Asst PD title) really call all the shots here. One strange things was that they kept stressing that it's important to talk to the residents whereever u go, and dont trust the program that doesnt let u talk to the residents, but in reality we saw only one resident there (although in all fairness, she was pretty cool and spent a looooong time with us, answering many many q's). Not a horible workload. 8-5 most days on most inpt rotations. Calls are mostly from home (in her experience, she actually only had to come in twice or something in the past year and a half), medicine residents will handle everything if **** really hits the fan. That by the way to me is sort of a double edged sword -- u get screwed out of a postcall day on a full nites sleep, which is commonplace at most places in Rehab. They get their SCI at sinai, and a very sweet deal at that -- one month, u dont participate in call, just look around and chill out kinda deal (home residents handle call, which I hear is pretty hardcore). This particular resident actually lives in the city, which I found to be interesting, claims that drive time is only about 30-40 mins on a good day. The program is very very spread out, u gonna do a lot of driving. Nothing really really special that stood out. One dude from the program apparently got into Spine fellowship at beth israel, and I think his name was repeated ad nauseum throughout the day, but otherwise, I dont particularly think u will be all that competitive at fellowship placement coming out of this program, although the training is pretty solid, both inpt and outpt.

inscape2004 said:
On an interesting side note, all five of them applied into interventional spine -- and have placed pretty damn well, so we know this program's name is worth something.

Out of curiosity, which fellowships did these five land??

Hey Inscape- did u do a rotation at Cornell/Columbia? I am trying to plan one for 4th year but I feel like there's so much red tape whereever u go - I guess I am just frustrated bç it seems like there are a lot of rules both from your own school and then the visiting school in terms of doing electives. How did u guys do it? Any advise? I am getting a lot of pressure from home for financial reasons to stay local (NYC/LI) (my family is under the impression that only grades matter (mine are mediocre) and that it doesn't matter where u do an elective) but I feel liek third year I should see different programs like in Chicago or Texas- places with good rep that I've never been to. Does it matter where u do your electives? I wanted to do one in San Antonio (but they don't take calls/applications till May they told me which seems a bit too late). I am interested in programs with a focus on outpatient musculoskeletal/ OMM and alternative medicine. Do such exist?

Anyway, any replies would be much appreciated. I am wondering what other ppl experiences have been.

:rolleyes:

There are several reasons to do an away elective:
1. to get an "in" at a program you would consider competitive
2. to get a LOR from a "name" attending
3. to show other programs you have had exposure to PM&R
4. to get a "feel" for a program you may not be as familiar with

There are many good programs in the NYC/LI area - probably the best being Kessler. I interviewed at Columbia/Cornell, NYU, Mt Sinai, and JFK. Those programs are all VERY different and really, it'll probably come down to personal preference.

I did electives at JFk and Kessler for financial reasons. I remember Kessler being a bit of a pain to set up - they require a health form, etc. JFK was easy to set up. I don't know about anywhere else.

In terms of outpatient exposure and MSK - all of the above programs have out patient exposure. Kessler has a sports medicine fellowship. Alternative medicine - JFK has attendings who practice acupuncture, so does Kessler. I think NYU actually has a program where you can get certified in acupunctue during residency - or was it Mt. sinai? Columbia/Cornell has a kampo program.

I would be CAREFUL with your interest in pain/outpt/MSK. If you skew all your electives in those areas, some more conservative and traditional PDs may question you about inpt rehab and why you don't have any exposure to that area. Many academic physiatrists are inpt physiatrists and more than likely you will be interviewed by quite a few of them.

good luck!

small possible correction :
The Sports med people at kessler have already left there, and are no longer associated with kessler... They may be hiring new ones or whatever... I heard this from talking to two of the Kessler Sports med people
~Just to keep people aware...

BrooklynDO said:
The Sports med people at kessler have already left there, and are no longer associated with kessler... They may be hiring new ones or whatever... I heard this from talking to two of the Kessler Sports med people

Is the sports medicine fellowship gone? It's still listed at: http://www.physsportsmed.com/fellows.htm under Dr. Malanga...

http://njms.umdnj.edu/departments/physical_medicine___rehabilitation/fellowship_opportunities.cfm

yup, they went private... remember though, websites dont get updated when things happen, they get updated when someone gets around to it
for all i know, Dr melanga may very well be still running a fellowship, but he is no longer associated with kessler rehab...
sorry
Happy new year
~Brooklyn

BrooklynDO said:
yup, they went private... remember though, websites dont get updated when things happen, they get updated when someone gets around to it
for all i know, Dr melanga may very well be still running a fellowship, but he is no longer associated with kessler rehab...
sorry
Happy new year
~Brooklyn

That is odd - he was still when I met him at the Phoenix AAPM&R meeting in October

paz5559 said:
That is odd - he was still when I met him at the Phoenix AAPM&R meeting in October

I came by to talk to him about possibly doing some research...this was middle december

+pity+

BrooklynDO said:

hey.

dr malanga is moving to a new practice associated with atlantic health care system, which is different from the health care system that owns kessler. he still is going to have UMDNJ-NJMS residents rotating with him, but will not be at kessler. the other two out-pt msk doctors are remaining at kessler. they are going to find a someone to fill dr malanga's spot at kessler.

it's important to note that UMDNJ-NJMS does not equal kessler alone. the residents rotate at different hospitals and larger health care systems. children's specialized hospitals of nj, university hospital, veterans, and another private place. these palces have different health care systems running them.
this appears to be the case at many northeast programs. it's probably different in the CA, where Kaiser Permanente owns nearly everything, this what i've heard.

chauffeur said:
hey.

dr malanga is moving to a new practice associated with atlantic health care system, which is different from the health care system that owns kessler. he still is going to have UMDNJ-NJMS residents rotating with him, but will not be at kessler. the other two out-pt msk doctors are remaining at kessler. they are going to find a someone to fill dr malanga's spot at kessler.

it's important to note that UMDNJ-NJMS does not equal kessler alone. the residents rotate at different hospitals and larger health care systems. children's specialized hospitals of nj, university hospital, veterans, and another private place. these palces have different health care systems running them.
this appears to be the case at many northeast programs. it's probably different in the CA, where Kaiser Permanente owns nearly everything, this what i've heard.

The other two docs are Todd P. Stitik & Patrick Foye

I am an R3 resident at Kessler and interested in sports medicine, so I am intimately familiar with the situation

It is true that Gerald Malanga, Tom Agesen, and Jay Bowen left Kessler to form the Mountainside medical sports medicine program.

however, this is NOT a negative situation for our residency for the following reasons:

1. They are still part of our training program, as there new site is about 5 miles away, and the Atlantic health system has always been part of our training program
2. The new facilities they have are set-up better, so rotations with them will probably be better
3. most importantly, the change exhibited the greatest strength of the program, which is the flexibiltiy and breadth of the program. In the next 4 months, while the logistics of the move is being worked out, we are having our residents rotate with Randy Braddom. It made me really proud of our program that we have someone like Dr. Braddom as an "extra" faculty member to fill in for a rotation.

I still feel that our sports medicine is exceptionally strong. Dr. Malanga is continuing to run the spoirts medicine journal club. I don't know for sure what the status will be for the sports medicine fellow next year, but I am guesing that he will have one.

Just thought I'd voice a concern that I've had since the interview trail. Ok, I interviewed all over -13 programs from Seattle to Boston. The interviews seemed to go pretty well- but man, I got much less feedback than I was hoping for. I have no idea how they went and really only at 2 programs did I get obvious positive feedback in the interview- like "you're a great candidate and we'd love to have you". Otherwise, nada. Just vague statements like- your grades are solid and you're a strong candidate-I'm sure you'll do well in this process. What the heck does that mean? That was said at my personal favorite at this point. -I think part of the reason I'm a bit more concerned is because I'm comparing interview notes with a friend of mine interviewing for anesthesia. He has really high board scores and is AOA and his interviews go like "you're awesome, what do we need to do to get you to come here. Please please come here." Now, I am definitely not getting that! :eek: Also, though I think I'm just growing increasingly paranoid throughout this entire mind game process. Not sure if programs are abiding by the rules or if I just didn't hit it off with some of the top-notch programs. I feel like I'm rushing and it's driving me crazy. I hope those of you out there have had more straight-forward interviews than I have!

Good luck to you all, I can't wait for March 17th!!!!

In response to the above,

"listen to your heart, that's what I do"

-Napoleon Dynamite

I did a one month rotation at this program as well. Interview Day started around 8am with 3 other applicants out of a total of about 35 for 3 spots. Morning began with a very thorough (leaves you with no questions to ask) presentation by Dr. Bockenek the PD. Interviews began around 10am with Chief Resident who tried to get to know you, PD, another faculty who asked about research, and one more faculty. There was a grand rounds by a TBI specialist who they are recruiting. Lunch with the residents. Tour of the facilities, and Wrap up session ended the day.

I think this program definitely an up and coming program in the world of PM&R. Definitely already highly thought of by top names in the field. Dr. Bockenek is a great PD and as mentioned is a recipient of the Parker J. Palmer award which is given to the 10 best PD’s in the country regardless of specialty. The faculty here are excellent and definitely strong on the inpatient side of things. You spend 18 mos. on inpatient rehab in 3 mo blocks. These residents do work very hard usually starting the day around 7 am with no prerounding except for vitals, nursing problems etc. and depending on the service may end around 5-7pm. They have a nice patient record system with PDA’s that sync all labs, radiology in the morning and keep histories and meds stored. In the main hospital this is now wireless and the plan is to have wireless syncing at CIR. They also have PA’s who help out a lot, and the attendings write notes on most patients. They emphasize the fact that although the program is small, they can run it without the residents if need be. So vacation time, elective time etc. is not compromised. They have a good book allowance and allow one paid conference per year (in PGY-2 can be pretty much anything you want). They probably offer the best benefits package out there and the food at the main hospital is great. There is a smaller cafeteria that you can get free food at every day, and you get a food allowance. Call is in house and residents are typically pretty busy as the cover over 100 patients. This program is strong in all areas. The main weakness may be MSK/sports/interventional. The upper levels rotate in outside practices for MSK and receive very good training, but get little to no hands on experience with injections. Interventional is done with anesthesia. They are actively recruiting 1-2 well respected MSK physiatrists as they have none on faculty right now, and I believe they will get who they want. They have plans for an MSK clinic and installing a C-arm once they hire their faculty. Most of the residents are interested in MSK/interventional. Camaraderie here is some of the best I’ve seen. The faculty are very approachable and have a great relationship with the residents from what I’ve observed.

This is a private hospital with an emphasis on education. Don’t let the community label dissuade you from this program, I think it is actually an advantage as they have a staff dedicated to becoming a premier PM&R program and have the money to do it. I truly believe when they want to get something done they have the resources to do it quickly as opposed to some academic institutions. They are young and vibrant and emphasize that they have no “dinosaurs”. Charlotte is a great city.

1/3 on interview day. Day began around 7:15am with light breakfast and coffee, then met with PD from 7:30-8am. We attended grand rounds and were then off to interviews which consisted of typical questions and lots of opportunities to ask questions. The 3 of us then met with the chair Dr. Cifu who is in line to be president of AAPM&R. He is very dynamic and a definite strength of this program. He is dedicated to his residents and will do what it takes to help them get a job or fellowship of their choice. He knows lots of people and has influence in the PM&R community. This meeting was somewhat awkward as we pretty much discussed other programs. There was then lunch and a tour of the VCU facility, the children's hospital and the VA. The VCU facility was mediocre. I have to say my interview impression was somewhat clouded by it being an absolutely crappy day in Richmond. Richmond seemed to be pretty cool by I didn't get a great feel for it. We then had a wrap up session with PD.

This program is very strong in all areas. They are a TBI and SCI model system. They have accredited fellowships in pain (PM&R), TBI, SCI, Peds, and another for Parkinson's. There are 3 10 week inpatient rotations in PGY-2 and 2 10 week outpatient rotations. There is one inpatient rotation in each PGY 3 and 4. The rest of PGY 3 and 4 are outpatient EMG, MSK, Pain, P&O, Rheum, Peds, sports. etc. There is home call at VCU every 5th night as a 2, at VA/peds q 6-8wks as a 3, and q 10 wks as a 4. The didactic series is very structured and thorough. There is a research requirement and advisor system. They are also involved in Nursing Home care if that's your bag.

The residents seemed to be very happy and do things together such as sports teams etc. They get good exposure to interventional procedures. Most graduates seemed to be going in to MSK or general practice with some doing fellowships.

Overall this seems to be a very strong program. I will definitely rank it.

1/about 10 on interview day. Interviewing for 1/4 spots 2 being categorical and 2 advanced. The PGY-1 categorical year is apparently pretty tough with rotations in ortho, urology, and neurosurgery. Day began around 8am with introduction to the program. We then had interviews with 3 different faculty. Each interviewee interviewed with a different combination of faculty, ie some with PD others didn't. All the faculty I interviewed with were very laid back and personable. There was some questioning but I really felt they just wanted to get to know you. There was then a tour of the facilities that were absolutely gorgeous. They have a stand alone rehab hospital in a complex of buildings (MSK complex includes radiology, ortho, anesthesia, neurosurg) overlooking the mountains. Apparently the relationships are very good with all these departments. The residents rotate through interventional with anesthesia, although the neurosurgery dept is hiring one intervential spine physiatrist and one non-interventional spine physiatrist, so in the future residents will probably rotate here as well. The day ended with lunch and a tour of the main UVa hospital for those who were interested.

This program seems to be strongest in MSK/sports and good in inpatient rehab. The residents spend 12 mos. in inpatient taking call from home. There is no TBI rotation but is included in a neurorehabilitation rotation. There is good EMG experience and ample opportunity for procedures. One thing I really liked about this program is that several faculty perform accupuncture and UVa has a department of complementary and alternative medicine with several NIH grants that you can rotate in. Dr. Kerrigan is a very well respected chair and has a brilliant gait lab (the best I've seen). The program is definitely on the way up with her in charge. The residents all seemed to get along very well and were very happy. It seemed most were interested in MSK/sports and some grads were going to ortho or neurosurg groups for practice. The anesthesia dept also usually takes one UVa PM&R grad per year for a pain fellowship.

Charlottesville is beautiful and affordable housing can be found as some residents live 30-45 mins from the hospital. It is considered to be a top place to live and there is plenty to do there. I'll definitely be ranking this program highly.

This is a great program that seems to be underrepresented on SDN.

Interview day began at 9am with Welcome from chief resident. I was 1/4 interviewees for a total of 6 positions one of which is categorical. We had interviews with Dr. Pease the chair who seemed to just want to get to know you and had a very nice conversation, a two faculty members and Dr. Clinchot the PD. There was then lunch with residents at a local resturaunt. After lunch there were interviews at Riverside hospital (which by the way has a very nice TY/prelim med program for those interested) with a private physiatrist who is also on faculty as residents rotate there, and Dr. Johnson who was a fun interview. The day ended at 5pm.

I spent a month at this program as well and really had an awesome exprience. This program is definitely very strong in all areas, with several attendings having written chapters in major texts. The residents are competent, nice and all get along very well. Most of PGY2 and beginning of PGY3 are inpatient. This program is very strong in MSK although sports are dominated by other depts. They have recently hired an interventional physiatrist and are planning on an interventional suite to be constructed. You definitely do a lot of EMG's here. As a visiting medical student a got to do several myself with guidance from an attending. Call is from home and the benefits package is very good.

Columbus is a nice city. It was really better than I expected. It has almost everything to offer including Tim Horton's all over. This program is definitely in my top 5.

I feel the same way.. It's different for rehab I guess because just like you, i am hearing stories from people doing anesthEASYia and internal medicine saying.."we love you and would want to have you..blah blah.." Hey, man..at least u got 2 positive feedbacks saying you are a great candidate and we'd love to have you....I haven't gotten any of that...I got you are a competitive candidate but nothing like that. I would feel very happy if I were in your position because programs are giving you a positive response and someone is actually saying that they want you. So relax, and be happy and I am sure that you will end up where you want..

dalox

pmrunner said:
Just thought I'd voice a concern that I've had since the interview trail. Ok, I interviewed all over -13 programs from Seattle to Boston. The interviews seemed to go pretty well- but man, I got much less feedback than I was hoping for. I have no idea how they went and really only at 2 programs did I get obvious positive feedback in the interview- like "you're a great candidate and we'd love to have you". Otherwise, nada. Just vague statements like- your grades are solid and you're a strong candidate-I'm sure you'll do well in this process. What the heck does that mean? That was said at my personal favorite at this point. -I think part of the reason I'm a bit more concerned is because I'm comparing interview notes with a friend of mine interviewing for anesthesia. He has really high board scores and is AOA and his interviews go like "you're awesome, what do we need to do to get you to come here. Please please come here." Now, I am definitely not getting that! :eek: Also, though I think I'm just growing increasingly paranoid throughout this entire mind game process. Not sure if programs are abiding by the rules or if I just didn't hit it off with some of the top-notch programs. I feel like I'm rushing and it's driving me crazy. I hope those of you out there have had more straight-forward interviews than I have!

Good luck to you all, I can't wait for March 17th!!!!

i agree. i've had similar experiences on interviews. i think one can conclude that if a PD or some other physician says that you're a very strong candidate, then they probably will rank you highly, if you atleast send them a thank you letter to express some further interest.
maybe because PM&R is such a small field, the PDs are not as open in saying that they would love to have you at their program. there are more subtle ways of stating so...

just wanted to let you know-- thanks!

caedmon said:
In response to the above,

"listen to your heart, that's what I do"

-Napoleon Dynamite

Good advice. Love the source of that quote, too. He has all the answers.

axm397 said:
A quick add-on to last post about UMich - I had my interview there a couple days ago. I was the only one that showed up (two cancelled). Tammie and Alice are wonderful - very caring and makes you feel comfortable. I really liked the program director and the associate PD. They have made some changes to the didactic schedule so they can cover all topics in 12month cycles. They also added a rheum rotation. They have full 5yr accreditation and model status for SCI. Overall, the residentsall seemed very happy and laid back. the PGY2s are a bit more social and hang out together at least once a month. The hospital system is huge with 1000+ residents.
- lack of away electives (have to prove to UMich that the elective will provide exposure to something not found at UMich, which is hard. But last year someone matched into fellowship at UFlorida)
-very little of book allowance/educational stipend - again, a minor thing but they only get ONE book for the whole time and 1500 dollars to go to a conference for the whole three years regardless of publication/research/etc. (they do have a 2000/yr research "fellowship" for ppl who are really hardcore researchers)
-no complementary/alternative medicine within PM&R - supposedly, there was someone who did accupuncture on faculty but he left.
-they are moving many of their clinics and department to the off-site facility - which is not necessarily a negative since the facility is beautiful and more spacious.
-you have to pay for parking $600 - 1200 a year. and even with that, parking is difficult to find.
-no call room - again, it's home call but you're technically supposed to live within 15-20min of hospital. So if you live further away, there's no where to stay. PD is working on that though...
-no board review - but many take board review courses elsewhere uring PGY4 - they do have a pretty generous 3mo electve time. (also get 2mo research time) Nice vacation policy too (23days + birthday!!)
Aside from those really minor things, I thought the program was very solid and high quality. Ann Arbor is a great place to live - very good educational system if you have a family - and lots of diversity. Pockets of different ethnic populations. Unlike the review in scutwork.com, I thought the place was pretty liberal and open. (not snotty and conservative) The residents were all very nice. I had the HONOR of meeting LIGAMENT!! I should have asked for his autograph:p
Oh, and a shout out to the Kirksville boys - it was really fun meeting you and hanging out with you - although my cover is now blown:cool:

Anyways, I had a great time at UMich, and loved the people. Very little ego and arrogance. Very approachable faculty, Very nice location. Fairly cush call schedule. Nice cafeteria with sushi (Oh by the way, they have more than SIX japanese restaurants - no lack of sushi in this town....) What more can you ask for?

Hey!

Crazy comments regarding parking. Most of the time that residents are on the inpatient service parking is provided. No resident pays $ 600-1200. Even the attending (parking is not provided for them)don't pay $1200!

Yep all call is from home. However, if you get called in they now have a call room you can get to sleep away the rest of the night. . .

cordelia said:
Hey!

Crazy comments regarding parking. Most of the time that residents are on the inpatient service parking is provided. No resident pays $ 600-1200. Even the attending (parking is not provided for them)don't pay $1200!

Yep all call is from home. However, if you get called in they now have a call room you can get to sleep away the rest of the night. . .

:confused:

But what about if you aren't doing an inpatient rotation? You still have to get to the Med Center a couple of times a week for the morning teaching sessions, no? I don't want to park on Maiden Lane and hoof it.

From my prior exp. in A2, Blue lots permits are nice, they let you park all over town :)

Finally M3 said:
:confused:

But what about if you aren't doing an inpatient rotation? You still have to get to the Med Center a couple of times a week for the morning teaching sessions, no? I don't want to park on Maiden Lane and hoof it.

From my prior exp. in A2, Blue lots permits are nice, they let you park all over town :)

When I was there, it was so difficult to find parking during the day. Alice had to circle when she took us to the university hospital. Is it true about the difficulty getting parking there?

DJPJ69Camaro said:
When I was there, it was so difficult to find parking during the day. Alice had to circle when she took us to the university hospital. Is it true about the difficulty getting parking there?

Yup!

During inpatient months, you get a special permit that gives you access to a covered lot with some reserved spots (I think this is what Cordelia is talking about).

When I rotated at the U last year, if I didn't get to the hospital by 7:15 AM, I would be looking at a 10 minute walk, and that was WITH a Blue lot sticker ($50 a month).

:)

There was a similar parking situation at the University of Wisconsin when I interviewed there. As a group they bought several passes that they shared for whoever needed to go to the main hospital. Would they allow those of you at UM to do that? It may help a little.

Hey, Im a PMR resident at UM. Most of the PGY2 PMR residents pay something like $500/yr for parking. This is pretax and comes monthly out of your paycheck so you never know what youre missing. I use my pass for football games, etc..(there are multiple lots).

On inpt months(only 10/12 at UMH), I use the free covered parking, arrive at 8:30 each morning and have 0 parking problems. From my house to hospital floor is about a 10 minute trip.

You also can pick up a free day parking pass anytime you want(within reason) at the hospital so PGY3&4 you could get by most months without a pass and a little planning.

We have a House Officers Assoc(union) so our pay is excellent for the midwest(50+K PGY4), vacation (24 days) and benefits are great.

We do have call rooms that we share with other home call services. I hope to never see them!

I like our outpaitent clinics b/c theyre beautiful and our dedicated PMR flouro suite(though we do injections at 2 other sites as well) is there.

Best of luck with the match.

nvrsumr said:
We do have call rooms that we share with other home call services. I hope to never see them!

I agree 1000000%

If I see them, some serious doo doo is going down on 6S! :laugh:

U of M interview, December 10, 2004

Anyone who has been to or been in contact with U of M PM&R will tell you that Alice Cheesman and Tammy Wiley-Rice really go out of their way to make a great day for you. In spite of there being an interview, this was a very fun and rewarding day.

The interview process at U of M was very unique. There are three separate interviews, with each focusing on a different area of the applicant. For example, I had an interview which dealt only with my interest and motivation and future plans for/in PM&R. My second interview was an academics interview with the Associate Dean, Sonya Miller. This was the best of the three interviews for me. I felt like we really connected and I enjoyed talking with her. My third interview was just about me, personally, my interests, etc.

Had a tour of the facilities, very impressive. The U of M is a state of the art University Medical Center. They see everything. Lots of opportunities to experience burn/cancer rehab, as well as the basics. Also a Spinal Cord model center.

Great didactics schedule.

Lunch with the residents. There was also a dinner/get-together with the residents the night before. They all seem very happy with their programs, know they are getting good training, and enjoy Ann Arbor (who wouldn't?). All were very confident and encouraged us to ask questions.

I'll be honest. I didn't pay attention to the amount of call/vacation/etc. I remember there is a House Officers Association. My primary point of going to the interview was not find out how much I had to work, it was to get a feel for the place. I liked it and i did rank it.

U of Washington interview, December 17, 2004

I'm from the West Coast and I like Seattle a lot, so I was really hoping for a lot from this interview.

Very, very friendly people and hospital. The chief residents were extremely enthusiastic and indicated that the residents were pretty tight away from the program.

I had three interviews again, and I felt they went well. However, I asked the director, Dr. Massaglia, about the strengths of their program and she really indicated, honestly, in her answer, that this would not be the program for me. There was not a strong level of training in anything that was really interesting to me, with the exception of cord injuries, which were great, and MS, which even has two fellowships.

Had a tour of the different hospitals, including the VA, and lunch These were good opportunities to ask questions of the residents.

Beautiful area. Hogh cost of housing. Multiple recreational opportunities. Great research opportunities if you are so inclined.

All together, A terrific program. Not the best fit for me. I would still have been happy had I matched there; I know I would get all the training that I needed. I did rank this program.

Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago- January 7, 2005

So, the RIC. I did an externship here after first year and ended up getting a publication out of it with one of the staff physicians. I also did a rotation month here in October 2004 which was a disappointment.

Overall day was the usual, meet the residents, take a tour of the facilities, go to a lecture, three separate interviews. Met the two chief residents, both enthusiastic about their program and their training.

Did get to see a little of the sports/spine which is totally withheld from students on rotations. I guess if you do a month, you can go back and do a second month and then do sports. Regardless, the residents do rotate through a variety of clinic sites and areas of rehab.

The facilities are very good. In addition to the RIC, residents see consult patients at Northwestern, the VA, etc. There is also the medical school next door, where the anatomy labs are taught.

Residents seem happy, get training with many of the faculty in all areas.

Didactics are excellent.

This is a very good program. If you had asked me three years ago, this was the only program I would have considered. But it just didn't float me as well as it had at first. This may have been a gut reaction to the month I spent there.

Pros:pD Jim Sliwa, incredible, totally dedicated to training residents for this field. Facilities are very good. Reputation is likely second to none. Good health system. Great didactics. Dr. Marciniak and many other faculty really enjoy what they do and like teaching. Good research opportunities.

Cons: The resident class is very large, which does make for a nice call schedule, but I also felt it made the class seem disjointed and separate. I really don't like Chicago all that much. Less elective time. Little manual medicine. My commute during the month was terrible and the noise/pollution, etc., really bothered me. The cost of living is quite high (don't make your decision just on that!) The residents are well-trained and do have advantages when it comes to fellowships, etc., although most seem to go into practice after graduation. I think the attitide (more from administration than the residents) that "we're the best, and that's it, here's the way we do things" gets a little old. I think they lost several good faculty physicians due to this. I also know there is a lot of turnover in the ancillary staff, kind of worries me.

Bottom line: great program. But not for me. Funny how things changed over two-three years. I think it illustrates that you have to really sit down and get honest with yourself as you go through this process. Not going here was, in some ways, a disappointment. I found a better fit, but it still felt like a loss. I did rank this program.

electra-great posts, I'm sure a lot of prospective applicants appreciate your insight in these programs. You cover these programs very well so i'll just add a few comments about my own experinces at them (and others).....

RIC- was very impressed with the program and residents, didactics, etc. The interview day really turned me off to this program though. The personality of the program that is described above showed through clearly. I had three interviews, two of which were only 10 minutes. That is unacceptable. To me, that kind of defeats the interview process. I wondered if one interviewer had read my application at all (which happened at other programs but not at most big name ones). No doubt the training here is great but not a fit for my personality.

Mayo- the interview day won me over. Each interviewer had clearly read and reread my application and while interviews contain standard questions they clearly wanted to get to know me. The residents, attendings, and staff were all very welcoming and proud of the program. The atmosphere there was second to none on the 'trail'. I got the sense that resident education has a real priority and that while work needs to get done, it was about quality over quantity. cons for some people would of course be location if unmarried and/or not from midwest. the lack of a stand alone rehab hospital may be a drawback for some as well. Inpatient will not likely be my focus, but there are others on this forum who know much more about this program and can comment in that regard.

Jeff- cancelled my interview at Kessler to go there on a friends rec. that rotated there. Certainly many solid attendings and comraderie looked good among housestaff. schedule and inpt. workload looked a bit harsh and residents admitted they were working harder than a lot of programs. In house, rather frequent call. However, residents felt well trained and on the whole spoke highly of the program. Interviews went horribly with only the PD providing a non-malignant interview. Felt insulted and humiliated by the way I was treated-not exactly where I wanted to spend 3 years.

UW-Madison-I think this place is up and coming, especially for those interested in outpt. rehab. Very tight program, great comraderie, great location in my opinion. New chair is a DO and very excited about recruiting DOs and possibly establishing as an AOA appr. program. Mult. attendings interested in pain, spine, etc. Downside was few attendings who did not graduate form that program and a multiple month required rotation more than an hour away (you live there).

others to come (I'm on call tomorow so its time to sleep.....)

Interview at Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, September 29, 2005

Yes, this was a very early interview. I was on rotation and the PD didn't want me to have to come back later.

First, let me say that I **loved** this program. I thought and still do think that it is one of the best balanced programs in the country. Good inpt and outpt time. Plenty of patients to see in a variety of clinics. Facilities are outstanding. Ancillary staff second to none.

I spent a month here that was very enjoyable. I felt like the consultants and residents liked to teach, appreciated me being there and were interested to find out what I knew. I rotated all over the department in multiple clinics and in the hospitals. I enjoyed working with these professionals very much.

I liked the formality of Mayo. I felt like I was a professional from the minute I walked in. I felt like I belonged with the group of doctors I was with. I could really see myself here.

Interviews.....three separate interviews. One with PD, Dr. Moutvic. Very interested in what types of coursework and rotations I had as a D.O. She likes people with a good interest and background in medicine. Don't go in and tell her you are expecting an "easy slide by" during 4th year. :) NO, NO, NO.

Two others, one mostly outpatient, the other the director of TBI Unit. Sorry, drusso, I'm post call and can't remember any names. Both very relaxed interviews with thoughtful questions. I felt like the interviewers were interested in me as a person and in what I wanted to do with my career. I also felt very subtle indicators that the candidates they were looking for would be hard working, willing to go an extra mile, interested in being the best, and not just sliding by. Also interested in my knowledge and comfort with medicine.

Pros: so many. Faculty - most trained at Mayo and stayed to carry on their tradition of outstanding medical care. Great amputee. Great outpt MSK. EMG second to none. Ancillary staff is outstanding, so little scut. Mission statement is respected by everyone. If it doesn't fit the mission, it's out of the question. Great libraries. Numerous opportunities to do research. The best in the world are here.
Cons: so few. I was afraid the program would seem inbred from the number of faculty that stayed on. But I did not see evidence of this. Fewer electives than some programs. Rochester is small and somewhat homogenous, but Minneapolis is a great city. And frankly, Rochester is affordable and safe, so not really a con. A little more conservative than some programs, "the grandfather of internal medicine." This will not be the leader in the newest trends.

Bottom line: I told drusso this already. If I had heard word one from Mayo after all my interviews were done and my letters sent, I would be decorating a house in Rochester right now. I was very torn between this and one other program. I heard from them first. And there were aspects of that program that I thought might be better for me. But I am sometimes not absolutely sure.

This is a great program. I would encourage everyone to rotate through the Clinic in something, even if not PM&R.

Hi, I am a PGY-4 in the program and actually find it a little funny to see the program "good for FMGs." I can't say the program is good for everyone but I think it is pretty well balanced and can be good for anyone. Also, I actually don't think I know any FMGs here. I know for sure no one in my class is a FMG and I am pretty sure no one in the classes below me is either. Not that I have anything against FMGs. I find those I knew from internship and elsewhere older and therefore more more experience and offer a different prespective. I just find it funny that in the post it sounds almost like it is full of FMGs and is only good for them.

And as long as I am posting, I would just share couple more things. While housing situation is kind of random, I did see my apt before I moved in. I think they try to accomondate everyone but it is sometimes hard for them since often there are still people occupying the apt. Considering how residency always start on July 1 and ends on June 30 I think I would understand even if I couldn't see the apt. I have been to a few other residents' places and they are all decent. I would say it is about 25% below market price so it is not a great deal but definitely an ok deal.

The board passing rate situation has corrected itself. I think everyone passed the board in the last couple years. Actually, we even won the rehab bowel this year.

It is actually a good point that there are 40 months worth of rotation in 3 years. Everyone "loses" an inpatient month. There used to be 14 months of inpatient and now there are only 12 months. Exactly what you lose is variable. And while I am not sure who has lost what other rotations, I know everyone is getting their 4 months of electives, which is the most important thing (at least to me.) I don't mind taking 2 weeks off per elective. And you can see that makes sense when in the program. It decreases the time you can take off during regular rotations. Therefore, you will decrease the amount of time you have to cover for your partner who may be taking those 2 weeks off when he is doing the same rotation with you. :)

I have written some other stuff replying to another link about the program for anyone interested. To be honest, no program is perfect. Mount Sinai is no exception. There are definitely drawbacks in this program. No question that you work hard during inpatient months. (But there are only 12 of them and you do learn.) And they can serve coffee during grand round. :) But all in all, I would not say it is a "good for FMG's" program (where are they anyway? :), I would say it can be good for anyone who is interested.