Interview: should I take my husband with me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you take your spouse to the interview?

• yes

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • no

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bluebonnet07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Members!
I think that choosing the right residency is a very important family issue. My spouse sacrificed a lot while I was preparing for my residency and I know that I want him to be comfortable with my choice. Also he has a good intuition when it comes to meeting people. So what are you gals/guys are thinking about taking your spouses to the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so...
It's like taking him to a job interview...which is exactly what this is..
too weird.

I think it would be ok to bring him along with you when you go out for dinner etc with the residents..

I am sorry, I ment to take to the lunch or dinner, not for interview itself :love:

I am sorry, I ment to take to the lunch or dinner, not for interview itself :love:

My husband answered this question for me. If he goes along to the dinner the night before (as most spouses seem to be on the invite invitation), that means that they not only have to "like" you, but your spouse as well. Just food for thought. I personally would love to take my husband, but he wont' go for that very reason.. and he is a people person too.

Dear Members!
I think that choosing the right residency is a very important family issue. My spouse sacrificed a lot while I was preparing for my residency and I know that I want him to be comfortable with my choice. Also he has a good intuition when it comes to meeting people. So what are you gals/guys are thinking about taking your spouses to the interview?

my husband is coming to at least one interview and possibly more. he's not coming to all of them--too difficult logistically with taking time off

husband or significant other:

take along at the interview: no way. seriously. that's just plain weird.
to dinner with the other residents: your choice. personally, i'd take my husband. these are going to be my future "brothers and sisters" so he may as well meet them and make some friends now.

basically, what your husband will probably be interested in is the city and what it has to offer for him in terms of work/school/social activities, etc. so definitely take him along to check out different locations. especially if the program throws in a hotel room . . . woo hoo! would you go with him to his interview if he was up for a new job or applying to an educational program of some sort. i rather doubt it.

I have been encouraged to bring my husband by 3 of the 4 programs I've received interviews from.

Maybe it's because I'm applying to Family Medicine and they are more family-oriented. I don't know.

If he is able to come along, and they invite him, I figure why not? He won't stay for every part of the day, but a few minutes meeting with the PD or faculty or residents over breakfast or lunch can only help my case, because he's such a charmer. :)

I didn't take mine to interviews - that would be crazy expensive!

However, I did second visits at the two programs I couldn't decide between and brought him to those.

does anyone remember those poor pre-meds whose parents tagged along on interview days for medical school? i always felt mortified for those poor applicants. who wants parents tagging along? (and frankly, i feel the same about spouses.) my dad drove with me to one med school interview because it was blizzarding and i had no idea where i was going, but thankfully he spent the day in barnes and noble. i think its weird to bring a spouse to the actual interview day- they're going to be bored out of their mind, its going to be awkward, and it will put you in a spot where you wont be spending time talking to others because you'll be talking to him. plus i just think its weird (not to mention im sure he'd rather be doing something else- i would feel like a ***** tagging along to one of my boyfriend's interviews.) although its probably fine to bring them to a casual dinner as long as spouses were specifically invited.

I have been encouraged to bring my husband by 3 of the 4 programs I've received interviews from.

Maybe it's because I'm applying to Family Medicine and they are more family-oriented. I don't know.

If he is able to come along, and they invite him, I figure why not? He won't stay for every part of the day, but a few minutes meeting with the PD or faculty or residents over breakfast or lunch can only help my case, because he's such a charmer. :)

I received the same info SophieJane did. Several of the programs I had applied to even had organizations for the "spouses" to make sure they did not feel left out during your crazy ride. I thought it was pretty cool actually.

does anyone remember those poor pre-meds whose parents tagged along on interview days for medical school? i always felt mortified for those poor applicants. who wants parents tagging along? (and frankly, i feel the same about spouses.) my dad drove with me to one med school interview because it was blizzarding and i had no idea where i was going, but thankfully he spent the day in barnes and noble. i think its weird to bring a spouse to the actual interview day- they're going to be bored out of their mind, its going to be awkward, and it will put you in a spot where you wont be spending time talking to others because you'll be talking to him. plus i just think its weird (not to mention im sure he'd rather be doing something else- i would feel like a ***** tagging along to one of my boyfriend's interviews.) although its probably fine to bring them to a casual dinner as long as spouses were specifically invited.

i think when most people say they're bringing a spouse to an interview, they really just mean to the city and the dinner the night before. at least, i hope that's what they mean.

Absolutely. I'm in the same FM boat as sophiejane. The programs that I applied to encourange your spouse to come along. Most will set up a tour of the city and a visit with a realtor for the spouse. I think it's very important to bring your spouse with. Residency will be that much tougher if your spouse doesn't like the location.

My husband answered this question for me. If he goes along to the dinner the night before (as most spouses seem to be on the invite invitation), that means that they not only have to "like" you, but your spouse as well. Just food for thought. I personally would love to take my husband, but he wont' go for that very reason.. and he is a people person too.

That's the exact reason to take your spouse with. Your spouse also has to "like" the program and the people there. I want the extra set of eyes and ears at the dinner. I'll appreciate the input my wife will provide. I'm sure she'll hear and see things that I'll miss. I personally think it looks better to bring your spouse with if invited.

Choosing a residency is a very big decision and I want my spouse involved. She's coming with to every interview. We both have enough confidence to know that she won't hurt my chances because they don't "like" her.

i think when most people say they're bringing a spouse to an interview, they really just mean to the city and the dinner the night before. at least, i hope that's what they mean.

You shouldn't assume or "hope" anything unless you have spoken to the programs and asked them directly. The programs I am referring to encourage spouses to come for the interview day itself. They may have different things planned while I am meeting with the PD, etc, but they actually invite spouses to the interview day, not just the dinner the night before.

Why is this so "wrong" or weird??