Interview questions at your home institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lomia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it is important to never run out of questions to ask the PD or another interviewer. That's easier to do at places other than your home institution.

I'll be interviewing at my home program in the next few weeks and I'm trying to figure out a list of good questions to ask. The standard sort of questions would make me look like I haven't been paying attention or asking around.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that it is important to never run out of questions to ask the PD or another interviewer. That's easier to do at places other than your home institution.

I'll be interviewing at my home program in the next few weeks and I'm trying to figure out a list of good questions to ask. The standard sort of questions would make me look like I haven't been paying attention or asking around.

Thoughts?

Most home institutions are understanding that your questions are mostly answered.

One easy thing to say is that "I've been fortunate to have extensive experience with the residents here, and they've been great about blah blah blah, so truthfully most of my questions have been answered."

Or, another route is to state your perception of something, and ask if the interviewer believes it to be accurate. "From what I've seen, the residents get extensive exposure to laparoscopy. Would you agree that they are well prepared to perform complex laparoscopy independently when they graduate?"

Ask about specific research opportunities, i.e. a specific attending's labs or research interests.

Make a comment followed by a question. "I am very interested in surgical education. Do you think that residents do a good job of providing clinical instruction to the medical students. Are there opportunities to teach lectures or participate in suturing/knot tying workshops?"

You can always think of some BS questions to ask in this situation.