How to do my homework on how successful programs have been on helping prelims convert to cat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to find this information? I remember reading a thread a while ago about the one resident who did her prelim year at UW and then converted into a cat, and ended up doing a transplant fellowship. She had mentioned of others being successful in converting from prelim to cat, and if they didn't which other specialties they had jumped to.

Basically, is there a way to find out which programs have a higher success rate in this conversion?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyway to find this information? I remember reading a thread a while ago about the one resident who did her prelim year at UW and then converted into a cat, and ended up doing a transplant fellowship. She had mentioned of others being successful in converting from prelim to cat, and if they didn't which other specialties they had jumped to.

Basically, is there a way to find out which programs have a higher success rate in this conversion?

its mostly anecdotal and word of mouth. i think if you run a search about this you might come across a discussion we had about this a while back. IMHO its a crap shoot. My personal bias is that you have a better shot achieving this coming from a big name place (hopkins, mayo) but have also known people who were successful getting a categorical spot after a prelim in a small community program. I guess it depends on what you mean by convert...meaning staying at that program vs matching a categorical spot elsewhere

its mostly anecdotal and word of mouth. i think if you run a search about this you might come across a discussion we had about this a while back. IMHO its a crap shoot. My personal bias is that you have a better shot achieving this coming from a big name place (hopkins, mayo) but have also known people who were successful getting a categorical spot after a prelim in a small community program. I guess it depends on what you mean by convert...meaning staying at that program vs matching a categorical spot elsewhere

Thanks for the reply! I unfortunately made a mistake while applying this year, and should've done a tad bit more thorough research, but I applied to both prelim and cat programs at the same institution. Doing research, I was informed this wouldn't be an issue, but after doing some further research, it seems that it is a problem.

Sorry for the confusion, as for "converting" - yes I mean either scenario is what my end goal is. Either converting into a cat at the same program where I did my prelim (which is what I'd prefer), or getting accepted into a cat program elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply! I unfortunately made a mistake while applying this year, and should've done a tad bit more thorough research, but I applied to both prelim and cat programs at the same institution. Doing research, I was informed this wouldn't be an issue, but after doing some further research, it seems that it is a problem.

Sorry for the confusion, as for "converting" - yes I mean either scenario is what my end goal is. Either converting into a cat at the same program where I did my prelim (which is what I'd prefer), or getting accepted into a cat program elsewhere.

Hello Vcorp,
Can you please tell us in more detail what is the problem with applying for both cat and prelim at the same program? I read previously that applying for both is not a problem. Thanks.

After doing some research I found two opinions. Some people say that doing a prelim at big name institutions gives you a more chance of getting matched in same program because this big name programs actually have more spots every year, let's say 8 pgy-1 spots. But at the same time it is harder to shine because of too much people (8 pgy-1 + I think 3-4 prelims, some designated and some like you), and of course being a prelim at big program means that you will have less contact with you pd and attendings. The last will mean that being in less contact with the persons stated above can decrease the chances about being helped to get interviews nexs year (give a call), or if you are exceptional person you can have good relations even in the case of too much people. On the other hand being a prelim at mid tier university program with 4-5 pgy-1 and 2 prelims each year, means that you have better chances to shine up and get better relations at the program because of the small size of the program itself. Here comes into play some other factors, some really big name programs bassicly have no IMG's in the program while others if you check pgy 1-5 you will see some international students. Let's say if the big name program is also IMG friendly - this may mean that chances of converting prelim into pgy-1 are quite high. In my understanding of converting prelim to pgy-1 depends on the img friendlinnes of the program. So which one is better? That's the question ...