Interview Invites To Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Emory
Alabama
Ochsner
Louisville
UT-Memphis
Washington Univ. (St. Louis)
Mayo (Scottsdale)
Mayo (Rochester)
UT-Houston
UT-Southwestern
Florida (Gainesville)
Univ. Pennsylvania
UCSF
Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
Duke
Utah
Loyola
Swedish
Stanford

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Members don't see this ad.

hey Johnny...wow, you have something like 17-18 interviews already....how many do you plan on attending? how many did you apply to? any rejections?? .....just curious to hear your experiences.....

your friend

FriendlyFriend:

I applied to a total of 40 programs. I wanted to be in control of the # interviews I went on, so my thought was apply to a bunch, then pick and choose which ones I want to interview at.

As far as the number I plan to interview at... I'm thinking I'm going to max out at 20 interviews that I actually go on.

I've been rejected from Colorado and Baylor so far.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Members don't see this ad :)
have you heard of anyone getting an interview @ University of Southern California???

yes, I know of a couple of people that have received interviews from USC

--21 interviews out of 28, 1 rejection

hey johnny

man that is a pretty impressive list of interviews you have there...
how are you going to afford to go to all those places even if you pick like 10 of them...

Also as an aspiring surgeon myself what are some things i can do to make myself real competitive at these places. I have begun studying for our step1 thats coming in june.
youmay have postedthem already but im curious whatyour stats are..?

later

Just got USC yesterday, navanjun... sounds like they just started sending out their invites.

Good luck.

nebel...at the beginning of the post...johnny says he got a 219 and upper half of class...no aoa....

thanks Johnny....is baylor (houston?) that competitive?? anybody out there know about that program as far as match difficulty?

Rejected by Baylor and Colorado?

Holy $chitt! That doesn't add up. With invites to Duke, Vandy, MGH, Penn, UCSF, and Wash U, just to name a few, how is it that you get rejected by Baylor and Colorado?

I applied to many of the same places you did and have interviews at Baylor and Colorado but have yet to hear from Duke or Vandy. This seems to further testify to your stoned/on crack theory.

Best of Luck to the Folks Enduring this Interview Season!

Tell me about it hemocult. Very strange happenings with this interview invite deal.

I think some of it must be related to my USMLE Step 1 score... I scored 207, which must be placing me below some cut-off at some places that screen applications based on USMLE scores. As far as the other programs (Duke, Penn, UCSF) inviting me for interviews, I'd guess that those programs actually read my entire ERAS application and saw my research accomplishments and strong LORs. I'm very happy with the programs I've been offered interviews at. In addition, I've been lucky in that many of the programs in the same geographic area have interviews around the same date, so that allows me to get up to 2+ interviews on just 1 airline ticket, thus saving lots of money in the long run.

Also, for those of you that are good with the internet, I highly recommend using Priceline.com for hotels and/or airfare. Do not go with the hotel (with the special resident-interviewee discount). For example, I interviewed at two places in the South this past week, and the hotels the programs recommended at a discount rate were around $80 per night. I was able to get great accomodations via Priceline.com for $25 per night. Doing things like this let you save tons of money, and thus interview at more programs in the long run. Plus, if your parents are frequent travelers, ask them for their frequent flyer miles.... a free airline ticket from East Coast to West Coast also helps in saving money and allows you to interview at more places.

Hope this information is helpful to everybody. Feel free to private message me with any other questions or concerns. Keep the posting going, this information is very useful for all.

BTW: Has anyone heard about UVa.... have they started offering interview invitations....what about Cleveland Clinic and Northwestern? Any information you might have about your application with regards to these programs or friends applying would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Originally posted by Johnny Cash
...I think some of it must be related to my USMLE Step 1 score... I scored 207.... Johnny Cash The Man In Black

your interviews are very impressive given your Step I... did you release Step II to help your app?

...can you expand on your research accomplishments ...md/phd perhaps?

Pdiddy:

Haven't taken Step 2 yet.

As far as research accomplishments, I have done some basic science research that resulted in 4 presentations at National/International Conferences and 4 publications from the same research.

I've done clinical research with the surgeons at my medical school that has resulted in 3 papers published in major surgical journals.

Hope this information helps.

Johnny Cash, I love you, because you are so smart and giving and internet savvy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still waiting on Virginia. I completed the secondary app about a month ago and still no word. I'm also waiting on South Florida; they sent out an email stating they were in the process of reviewing and hoped to be sending out invites soon. Has anyone heard from NEMC (Tufts)?

Interviews: Cornell, Florida, Mayo (FL), MUSC, UNC, Carolinas (Charlotte), UCSD, BIDMC, 'Bama, St Luke's-Roosevelt (NYC), Georgia

Still waiting word/expecting rejection from: Colorado, Vanderbilt, Brigham

By some miracle, my Step II was about 25 points higher than Step I and I'm interested to see if that will help in getting interviews. Probably not at this point; Maybe I should have taken it sooner?

Good luck to everyone...

a girl.:D

No, UVA hasn't sent them out, and that's too bad. My schedule is full now. The funny thing is that 3 years ago the secretary at UVA faxed the first sheet of the match list without faxing the rest, and they filled only 2 of 4. So you think they might learn, but instead they wait until after all the big-time interviews have been given out. I don't understand? Do you think that most people will cancel Brigham or JHU to go to UVA instead. Maybe some, but not most...and their goal is to get "the best" people possible. And I have 2 family members who are surgeons at UVA!! Argh.

Johnny Cash: just wanted to let you know that your lists of invites have been helpful to me too.

Finally start interviewing this weekend...

UW-Madison
Vanderbilt
OHSU
Univ of Cincinnati
UNC
New York Medical
Dartmouth
Wash U
SLU
Michigan
Brigham
BU
Maryland
Rush
Emory
Colorado
UCSD
Univ of Rochester
MGH
Loyola
Northwestern
Duke

---Not expecting many more at this point

Originally posted by jc7721
Finally start interviewing this weekend...
---Not expecting many more at this point

jc7721...did you apply to UCSF?? they are still reviewing apps at this point. also Columbia will send out around 11/21 as well. good luck on the interview trail...

pdiddy
aka: i miss j-lo

Cash--

Just heard from Northwestern this week (Tuesday).

So far

Northwestern
UT-Southwestern
UNC
Emory
Colorado
MCW
UW-Madison
Michigan
Indiana
UCLA
UC-Irvine
USC
UC-SanDiego
Stanford
UC-Davis
OHSU

Waiting to hear from Hopkins, Washington (Seattle), & UCSF. I called all three yesterday & they say they are still not finished sending out invites...(not really holding my breath though)!

Okay, so I AM holding my breath (or at least checking my email 15 or so times day).

Does anyone know what UCSF, Washington, & Hopkins interview dates are?

Anybody heard from george washington or jefferson? Does anyone expect hopkins to send out any more invites?
Good luck on interviews!

Originally posted by BritneySpears
Okay, so I AM holding my breath (or at least checking my email 15 or so times day).

Does anyone know what UCSF, Washington, & Hopkins interview dates are?

britney: UCSF is interviewing on 1/14 and 1/21
JHU offered three days 12/5, 12/19, and 1/9 (but they might have more later in jan?)
washington- no idea, did not apply, heard they are beyond malignant...

Thanks puffy. Congrats on completing your New York Marathon for charity. I was particularly impressed that you got ex-J lo to donate. Nice.

Thanks puffy. Congrats on completing your New York Marathon for charity. I was particularly impressed that you got ex-J lo to donate. Nice.

thanks, i am still a little sore. as for j-lo, she knows where the lovin' is...
....looking forward to getting your new CD this week....

columbia sent out invites yesterday...interview dates are jan 11, jan 17, jan 24

Originally posted by Crimson&Clover
columbia sent out invites yesterday...interview dates are jan 11, jan 17, jan 24

...1/11 is already filled...

Cooze2: George Washington has filled all of their interview dates.

Thanks scutpuppy . . . surprised about that. Looks like they recruit pretty regionally. Anybody hear from jefferson in philly?

Anyone heard from Mt. Sinai, NYU, cleveland clinic, , washington or Georgetown?

Interview list:
Miami
Emory
UIC
UCSD
Temple
Tulane
BU
MGH
Iowa
Loyola
Rush
GW
Case Western

Bongs:
UW Madison
Colorado
Wash U

got an interview at Georgetown 1 or two weeks ago. As of the end of last week they still had a couple of interview days still open.

This waiting is driving me nuts. Why haven't I heard from UCSD, UCLA, UCSF or UWash.
Is there an East Coast bias?
PS: I've got the goods.

I can tell you for sure that UCSD will not be handing out any more interviews. I was just there and they said that all of their interviews were sent out on one day--no more to come. The other programs, no idea.

well if that isn't the biggest bag over the face punch in the mouth

Has GW and Georgetown officially fillled all their interview dates? I havent' heard ANYTHING from these two programs, not a rejection email or letter. Curious.

I contacted MGH on Friday (11/14) and they were not done yet with reviewing applications, though not holding out much hope.

Not sure about BW (Brigham) if they are all done as well with sending out invites.

let the games begin....

stanford
ucla
ucsf
umich
washu
duke
jhu
upenn
cornell
columbia
yale
mgh
B&W

hope your seatbelts are fastened...

i can't write much because i have an exam tomorrow, but i just want to say "GOOD LAWD!"

Originally posted by pdiddy
let the games begin....

stanford
ucla
ucsf
umich
washu
duke
jhu
upenn
cornell
columbia
yale
mgh
B&W

hope your seatbelts are fastened...

Nice job pdiddy.

Hate to be repetitive here, but are people getting interviews at jefferson in philly. One of the last programs still realistically up in the air for me. Expect an interview, but have been surprised by a couple of programs, so never can tell.

puff-

you willing to post your stats (board scores, AOA, research, etc) if you haven't already?

impressive list.:wow:

OK, about giving up hope on remaining interviews:

So far:
U of Washington
Emory
UTSW
Mayo (Rochester)
GWU
MUSC
Colorado
U of Miami
U of Kentucky
UCSD
BWH
USC
OHSU

Pending (likely SOL): MGH, UCSF, BIDMC, Vanderbilt, U Mich, NW, U of Pitt

I'd really like to hear something good from U Mich. Ah well.

Stats: USMLE 239/97, non-AOA (upper quartile), 1st author on case report in major surgery journal, strong letter from internationally renowned surgeon, near honors in surgery (ouch).

Just got U Wash today but because these higher up m-er f-er's take a whiile to get back, I've got to try to play the "juggling interview" game. On the bright side, it was great to hear from them though.

Anybody tried changing interview dates with programs this year. Any luck? Pain in the a$$? Easy as pie?

Good luck to all who continue to play the game.:hardy:

Lura: Called Brigham today and they're still reviewing applications with the two jan. dates still open.

UCONN
George Washington DC
UMDNJ - any of them
Albert Einstein
Mt. Sinai

Do you guys think most places are done sending out invites? I called one of the UMDNJ's and they said it is "rolling invites."

Thanks

Originally posted by Azygous
UCONN
George Washington DC
UMDNJ - any of them
Albert Einstein
Mt. Sinai

Do you guys think most places are done sending out invites? I called one of the UMDNJ's and they said it is "rolling invites."

Thanks

I called gw, and their done sending out interviews. They said they don't send out rejections.

puff-

you willing to post your stats (board scores, AOA, research, etc) if you haven't already?

impressive list.:wow:

I'd also like to hear pdiddy's stats - that's a VERY impressive list of programs.

Brown's Surgery program is sending out invites. Although they seem to have reduced the number of interview dates from the initial e-mail they sent out via ERAS a month ago (originally stated they would have 2 December and 2 January dates), now it is only 1 December and 2 January dates.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Any info on Brown? What's their program like? What's the area like, etc.? I'm trying to decide whether I want to go to the interview. Thanks

Alabama
Emory
Florida
Louisville
Mayo (Rochester)
Mayo (Scottsdale)
Ochsner
UCSF
UNC-Chapel Hill
UT-Houston
UT-Memphis
UT-Southwestern
Utah
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Univ. Pennsylvania
Duke
Loyola
Swedish
Stanford
Wake Forest
Tulane
Brown
Brigham and Women's

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Invite list:

Mayo (Rochester)
UMiami
Rush
Loyola
UIC-Chicago
Indiana U
WSU/DMC
UMich
And a couple of community programs with a lot of dinero in my local area.

Except for a couple programs, I applied mostly in the Midwest. This whole interview process has left me completely baffled:confused:

I have no idea why I was shut out of Ohio? Cincinatti maybe I can understand, but I'm not sure why Ohio State left me in the cold.

Quicksilver 2000

Originally posted by Blade28
I'd also like to hear pdiddy's stats - that's a VERY impressive list of programs.

sorry it took so long to reply, was out of town...

top med school (ivy), AOA-n/a, >240 Step I, tons of research (presentations, abstracts, papers), honors in all clerkships, very strong recs from profs/endowed chairs, tons of bling-bling as well.

I'm dying to see one person get on here and brag about their invite to, lets say Middle Nebraska or Idaho U. I'd actually be impressed if someone would fess up that they are interviewing at some small/average programs and are proud of it!

Oh well, good luck to you all. ;)