Interview Invites To Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Cash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
USMLE Step 1: ~210
Upper Half of Medical School Class

Invites to date:

Emory
Alabama
Louisville
UT-Memphis
Washington University (St. Louis)
Ochsner
Mayo (Scottsdale)
Mayo (Rochester)
UNC-Chapel Hill
Vanderbilt
Univ. Florida (Gainesville)
UT-Houston

Still waiting on a bunch more.

Members don't see this ad.

Cash you AOA and honor surgery clerkship? just asking because last year vandy and Wash u only interviewed AOA candidates. Just wondering if things have changed.

The Man In Black Replies:

Nope, not AOA candidate, at my school you have to be in the top 25% to be considered for AOA, I'm in the upper portion of the second Quartile.

I did Honor my surgery clerkship during third year.

Would be happy to answer any other questions.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey MaxHeadRoom:

Where you doing your surgery residency now? And do you like it where you are?

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

So far, and more to come

OHSU
Colorado
San Diego
Rush
SLU
Wash U
Vanderbilt
U of Cinci
Emory
UNC
Michigan
Maryland
Dartmouth
BU

Originally posted by jc7721
So far, and more to come

OHSU
Colorado
San Diego
Rush
SLU
Wash U
Vanderbilt
U of Cinci
Emory
UNC
Michigan
Maryland
Dartmouth
BU

jc, what about you? step-1, AOA? class rank? just want to get an idea of my chances next year.

USMLE step 1 256, AOA, 2 publications (1 first author in Journal of Trauma), 1 poster presentation at the society for critical care medicine, 1 oral presentation at the association for the surgery of trauma, honors in surgery/peds/ob

The Man In Black Says:

UT-Southwestern interview offered

Still waiting, but thus far...

Florida
Mayo (Jax)
Georgia
UCSD
BIDMC
UNC
Cornell

225/AOA negative/no pubs/H in surgery

Current Interview List as of Today (11/3/2003)

Emory
UAB
Louisville
Univ. Tennesse Memphis
Washington University
Ochsner
Mayo (Scottsdale)
Mayo (Rochester)
UNC-Chapel Hill
Univ. Texas Southwestern
Univ. Texas Houston
Vanderbilt
Florida
Utah

Non-AOA, ~210 USMLE Step 1, research.

Current Interview Invite List (as of 11/4/2003 @ 1:30PM)

Emory
UAB
Louisville
Univ. Tennesse Memphis
Washington University
Ochsner
Mayo (Scottsdale)
Mayo (Rochester)
UNC-Chapel Hill
Univ. Texas Southwestern
Univ. Texas Houston
Vanderbilt
Florida
Utah
Univ. California San Francisco

So far......

Baylor
Mayo (Rochester)
UIC
UMiami
WSU/DMC
Henry Ford
A few community programs

Step I: 219
Two first author in Journal of Trauma + Surgery, one more in the works
Three second authors in JT
Five abstract presentations AAST, EAST, CSA, Critical Care Society, SUS all done during med school with no time off

Unfortunately, I haven't heard from Cornell or Emory :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations Cash!!!!

UCSF interview is hard to get. They only have 2 dates. That rocks!! Good luck!

I am going to check my ERAS now.

Current Interview Invite List (as of 11/5/2003 @ 2:10PM)

Emory
UAB
Louisville
Univ. Tennesse Memphis
Washington University
Ochsner
Mayo (Scottsdale)
Mayo (Rochester)
UNC-Chapel Hill
Univ. Texas Southwestern
Univ. Texas Houston
Vanderbilt
Florida
Utah
Univ. California San Francisco
University of Pennsylvania

hey mr. cash,

just out of curiosity, when did you turn in your app??

To all of you other's out there reading these postings (which I see is a lot) and to all people posting... doesn't it seem pretty sad that every second someone gets a new interview they have to run and announce it on this forum, along with their AOA scores and rankings and everything. Since people are "anonymous" here it gives them a chance to brag and try to make them feel better about themselves and get a kick out of others feeling less than them. That's pretty pitiful. Everyone reading this post please do a favor for themselves and don't click on this running post again (unless you really feel like being updated on Mr. Cash's interview list). There is a better posting about interviews in the surgery forum that people actually are exchanging information about programs instead of making it a "look at me!" list. No bad feelings Mr. Cash, congrats, but really what is the point of it?

I have to disagree with you, sevo. I don't think the point of Cash's or anyones else's listings are to brag, and I have found it very helpful to view other people's interview lists. It gives an idea of which schools have sent out invites and which haven't--you can stress a little less over those schools who no one seems to have heard from yet. It has also been very helpful for me to see people's scores and grades etc. to see how I compare to the rest of the group and maybe have some justification for why I may not get an invite.

I for one hope this forum continues.

I have to disagree with DrSevo also. I was actually encouraged by readers of this website to post information about interviews and when they came in so that the other applicants reading this board could use the information as a barometer to see what is going on at the various programs with regards to interview invites coming out.

DrSevo if you are offended by my post I sincerely apologize and will cease all posts immediately if that truly is the case. However, my gut feeling is that if we were to have a post by everyone reading this forum we would get an overwhelmingly positive response to the information offered in this area.

With regards to the information being posted as anonymous......just think logically.... if I truly wanted to post the specific interview invitations to brag and say "look at me".... wouldn't I post my name, medical school, and other such identifying information....for isn't that the purpose of bragging...saying look at what I've done..........that seems impossible when we are all posting in an anonymous forum.

I would be more than happy to discuss my intentions for posting this information should the explanation in this message not be clear to you. Just send me a private message and I'd be happy to give you my contact information.

To everyone else reading this post...... feel free to chime in with your opinions.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

My apologies. I hope the best for everyone in the interviewing a match process.

Posts like this are gold for someone like me. I need to know this type of information! Thanks to all who posted stats/interviews. :)

Originally posted by Higgins
Still waiting, but thus far...

Florida
Mayo (Jax)
Georgia
UCSD
BIDMC
UNC
Cornell

225/AOA negative/no pubs/H in surgery

bidmc interviews non-AOA? that's really surprising! i'm really interested in their program, but isn't everyone? :laugh:

how did you like it there?

yeah, keep it coming - this stuff is helpful

Has anyone else heard from the big CA programs besides Cash. I called UCSF and was informed that they are still reviewing the applications and the interviewing spots have not been filled yet.

About BIDMC, most people that i know are not too excited about that program. Their residents still work over 100 hours a week. During golden weekend, they still have to come in and round. The chairman of the program is not the nicest person to work with. But the location is great, at the heart of Boston and the ORs are super nice.

My interviews so far:

UCSD
UCI
UCD
UCSF/East Bay
Baylor
UT Southwestern Dallas
Swedish
Virginia Mason

255, H in Surgery, non-AOA, average in class, research but no pub, very good letter from attendings who are not nationally known.

UW-Madison
Vanderbilt
OHSU
Univ of Cincinnati
UNC
New York Medical
Dartmouth
Wash U
SLU
Michigan
Brigham
BU
Maryland
Rush
Emory
Colorado
UCSD
Univ of Rochester

Interviews thus far:
Cincinnati
Wash U
OHSU
Louisville
MCW
Ohio State
Indiana
Alabama
Dartmouth
Pittsburgh
Baylor-Dallas
UT-Southwestern
UT-San Antonio
Tennessee
MUSC
Colorado
Utah
UNC

Has anyone out there heard from the following programs yet:

Univ. Washington (Seattle)
Mass. General Hospital
Hopkins
Northwestern
Loyola
Cleveland Clinic
Brown

Any input would be appreciated.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Bvo, just out of curiosity . . . how did you hear about the BIDMC program? Have you talked to the residents there?

Thanks and good luck.

Cash, I haven't heard from any of the programs you listed, and I applied to them all but Cleavland----Stanford actually sent an email out saying they don't even offer interviews until the end of Nov., so I imagine it might be similar for these other programs.

i apply to only California programs. I know one resident from the BI and a friend of mine knows many of them. The interns that my firend met did not have too many nice things to say about the program except for the modernized hospital and ORs. I also heard horror stories relating to the chairman from people on the interviewing trail last year, and from attendings who knew him back when they were training/working together.

what have you guys heard of the yale program?
i heard they are accredited again, 80 hours a week, and the new chairman from JHU has hired about 15-20 new faculty members??
are they picking up steam??

Originally posted by bvo01
Has anyone else heard from the big CA programs besides Cash. I called UCSF and was informed that they are still reviewing the applications and the interviewing spots have not been filled yet.

... last week Stanford and UCLA sent out invites...

I heard from Stanford on Friday. still no word on UCSF and UWash. UCLA is not going to send out invitations until the middle of next weeK.

Originally posted by bvo01
I heard from Stanford on Friday. still no word on UCSF and UWash. UCLA is not going to send out invitations until the middle of next weeK.

...maybe UCLA is not finished sending them out, but they already started...

Do you guys know if the University of North Dakota at Altru Health System Hospital has sent out invites yet? Best kept secret. My number one choice.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Does anyone know if U. South Florida - Tampa has sent out invites yet?

Thanks!

Interviews to date:

UT-Southwestern
Emory
UNC
Colorado
Indiana
MCW
UW-Madison
UCSD
UC-Irvine
UC-Davis
UCLA
Stanford
OHSU

Still waiting to hear from Washington (Seattle), UCSF, Hopkins, Northwestern.

Talked with Surgery Coordinator at Baylor (Houston). Apparently they aren't going to send out anymore invites to interview. Nice of them to NOT send a message to that fact via ERAS.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Not sure what kinda criteria people are using to screen apps this year. Got rejected from Wash U, have not heard from colorado, cornell, madison amongst others.......but got an invite from MGH today. whatever

good luck to all

I also got rejected from WashU but the got the MGH invite.

I think a bunch of the people who are screening these applications this year are stoned!!! I'm experiencing very similar issues with my application (ie. interview invite at top notch program, rejected from smaller, lower tier program)

Keep the info coming.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Anyone here from schools in NY? Mt Sinai, Columbia, NYU?

I'm getting invites from larger academic institutions such as UF Gainseville, UT Houston, UT San Antonio, Utah, Albert Einstein, and got rejected from UF Jacksonville! What a joke. They wrote, "We cannot offer you an interview at time". The very least they could do is write me a grammatically correct RJ letter!! Anyway, if you're resume and personal statement drips that you want to go into academics, even if you applied to the smaller programs, many of them aren't going to care about interviewing you. I interviewed at some small community hospitals recently, and the look on their faces were are you sure you know what you are interviewing for. They don't want people who are going to their interviews for back up. They want someone who really wants to be at their program. So why waste an interview slot for someone like yourself who is so unlikely to rank them?

Originally posted by Johnny Cash
I think a bunch of the people who are screening these applications this year are stoned!!! I'm experiencing very similar issues with my application (ie. interview invite at top notch program, rejected from smaller, lower tier program)

Maybe some weaker programs might shy away from interviewing applicants who they think are too competative and won't end up ranking their program highly? Just a guess...

Current Interview Invitation List as of 11/12/2003

Emory
Alabama
Ochsner
Louisville
UT-Memphis
Washington Univ. (St. Louis)
Mayo (Scottsdale)
Mayo (Rochester)
UT-Houston
UT-Southwestern
Florida (Gainesville)
Univ. Pennsylvania
UCSF
Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
Duke
Utah
Loyola

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

...duke and jhu are sending out invites...

Pdiddy:

Was that a question or a statement? I haven't heard anything about Hopkins yet....you know of anyone who has heard from Hopkins?

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Yes, got Hopkins yesterday, also Mass General the day before.

UW-Madison
Vanderbilt
OHSU
Univ of Cincinnati
UNC
New York Medical
Dartmouth
Wash U
SLU
Michigan
Brigham
BU