Interview Invitations Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
neurosign said:
Interview Questions I've had during my first few program visits:
Do you have a significant other and what does he/she do?

I bet the ladies get asked this more than the guys. Not a cool question, given the motives behind asking it.

Members don't see this ad.

Got my first rejections today :( , Emory and WashU, and I had to call them to find out my status as I had not heard anything from them at all. But I've interviewed at or will interview at...
U. Virginia
U. Kentucky
U. Florida
U. Rochester
Case Western
Duke
U. North Carolina

Still waiting on a few more, keeping my fingers crossed. Does anyone know about programs like Mayo Jacksonville or Cleveland Clinic Florida? I was offered interviews at those, would like to accept,but the dates are beginning to overlap.

I am the only one having a really dry week?

update on rejections
Mayo Jacksonville
AECOM
St Vincent's NYMC

No invitations other than the past 5.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from George Washington this week.

Other invites:
Georgetown
Yale
NYU
Mt Sinai
Columbia
AECOM
SUNY Brooklyn
UMDNJ

Assuming at this point this is pretty much it...

Will interview at:
WashU
Rush
Ohio State
Dartmouth
Wisconsin
Iowa
Mayo Rochester
UIC
Cleveland Clinic

Turned down 6 offers, rejected from 1, no word from 6 and assuming rejection

Does anyone know about the neurology program at Dartmouth? I am in a scheduling conflict with this program and UTSW and was wondering if there is a clear-cut difference between the two programs as far as strength, reputation, etc. Thanks everybody!

doctorlarry said:
Does anyone know about the neurology program at Dartmouth? I am in a scheduling conflict with this program and UTSW and was wondering if there is a clear-cut difference between the two programs as far as strength, reputation, etc. Thanks everybody!

rumor on the interview trail is that Dartmouth is a nice place to work. People are nice, friendly, etc. Non-threatening interview. Was told that is on the smaller side with only 3 residents per year and that patient population not as diverse as programs in larger cities. And you'll need a heavy coat. Good luck.

Any heads up on NSLIJ? The program, the people, the place, the interview.....

Thanks a lot

hey guys i would like some info about NSLIJ too.in particular-

1.its a tie up between nsu+lij+and aecom ,but which is the main program you will be attached to?
2.the reason i ask this is coz the inetrview is at nsu buliding but the sf match site said that the nsu program has been withdrawn.so i am kinda confused!
3.how is de place to live?

maybe someone who has interviewd there recently will be able to help.thanks.gl!

Hi Kima, I just wanted to answer your question about Temple as I interviewed there a couple weeks back.

I was rather impressed with the program. The learning curve is excellent as they give their residents a lot of autonomy, and the facilities aren't bad, with a separate stroke unit. The included medicine year is also a big bonus, so no worrying about matching a prelim year there, or at all :). (I had an Medicine interview that same day as part of my schedule, and that program is also reasonably strong/well-respected.) Residents seem happy, and apparently have no trouble getting prestigious fellowships afterward (two of them are headed to MSG/Partners and one to Einstein). Research opportunities abound, though residents seem too overwhelmed with patient care to take advantage of them :( . Their program director is extremely motivated and is an amazing attending (they actually had rounds on the interview day to show him off...I learned a lot :idea: ) and their residency co-ordinator is the sweetest person (he actually made sure I got in a cab after the interview day was over!).

Okay, cons. There are only 4 residents (re: call heavy) and the Medicine year is no joke. The surrounding area isn't the best, and they have some areas of weakness the larger programs don't: neuroncology, neuroimmunology, etc. (They are ostensibly in the process of recruiting more attendings to cover these areas, to be fair.) The hospital is also under construction and you will still be encountering this during your medicine year.

All in all, a very organized and impressive interview day. It is arranged with rounds in the morning (Grand, then Neuroradiology--they have some very cool imaging tools :thumbup:, then Attending rounds/tour with the aforementioned cool program director) and then lunch (simple, in the adjoining cafeteria) followed by interviews with 3 attendings afterward. Plan to get out of there at about 5--interviews coincided with clinic while I was there and they are trying to fit you in between patients. :thumbdown: But all in all it flowed and I was impressed by their research opportunities, dedication to clinician training and excitement about the program and its improvement. Ranking them in high top third, definately.

Hope this helps!

In general news, I also think most of my Neurology invites are in (only 8 or so schools outstanding). I have had 4 interviews so far:

U Miami
SUNY Downstate
Temple
Albert Einstein (Bronx)

I am headed to 3 more:
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Cleveland Clinic (Ohio)

2 new invites (probably going to both as money and energy allow):
Cleveland Clinic (Weston, FL)
Georgetown

I have declined:
LSU

Rejections:
Columbia
Duke
Wake Forest

If anyone needs info on anywhere I have inteviewed at, please feel free to private msg me. Anyone who has interviewed at Cleveland Clinic (either) with information and is willing to offer some insight it would be well apprciated. Hope this helps Kima, and anyone else who has Temple on their lineup. Best of luck all!

neurolome said:
Hi Kima, I just wanted to answer your question about Temple as I interviewed there a couple weeks back.

I was rather impressed with the program. The learning curve is excellent as they give their residents a lot of autonomy, and the facilities aren't bad, with a separate stroke unit. The included medicine year is also a big bonus, so no worrying about matching a prelim year there, or at all :). (I had an Medicine interview that same day as part of my schedule, and that program is also reasonably strong/well-respected.) Residents seem happy, and apparently have no trouble getting prestigious fellowships afterward (two of them are headed to MSG/Partners and one to Einstein). Research opportunities abound, though residents seem too overwhelmed with patient care to take advantage of them :( . Their program director is extremely motivated and is an amazing attending (they actually had rounds on the interview day to show him off...I learned a lot :idea: ) and their residency co-ordinator is the sweetest person (he actually made sure I got in a cab after the interview day was over!).

Okay, cons. There are only 4 residents (re: call heavy) and the Medicine year is no joke. The surrounding area isn't the best, and they have some areas of weakness the larger programs don't: neuroncology, neuroimmunology, etc. (They are ostensibly in the process of recruiting more attendings to cover these areas, to be fair.) The hospital is also under construction and you will still be encountering this during your medicine year.

All in all, a very organized and impressive interview day. It is arranged with rounds in the morning (Grand, then Neuroradiology--they have some very cool imaging tools :thumbup:, then Attending rounds/tour with the aforementioned cool program director) and then lunch (simple, in the adjoining cafeteria) followed by interviews with 3 attendings afterward. Plan to get out of there at about 5--interviews coincided with clinic while I was there and they are trying to fit you in between patients. :thumbdown: But all in all it flowed and I was impressed by their research opportunities, dedication to clinician training and excitement about the program and its improvement. Ranking them in high top third, definately.

Hope this helps!

In general news, I also think most of my Neurology invites are in (only 8 or so schools outstanding). I have had 4 interviews so far:

U Miami
SUNY Downstate
Temple
Albert Einstein (Bronx)

I am headed to 3 more:
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Cleveland Clinic (Ohio)

2 new invites (probably going to both as money and energy allow):
Cleveland Clinic (Weston, FL)
Georgetown

I have declined:
LSU

Rejections:
Columbia
Duke
Wake Forest

If anyone needs info on anywhere I have inteviewed at, please feel free to private msg me. Anyone who has interviewed at Cleveland Clinic (either) with information and is willing to offer some insight it would be well apprciated. Hope this helps Kima, and anyone else who has Temple on their lineup. Best of luck all!

Thank you so much Neurolome, this really helps.

I am out the door for interviews all week, will post as I go.

Kima

thought it was over for me. call from U of FL, Jacksonville today.
maybe people are starting to cancel.

Another one today via email from U of IL, Peoria

Members don't see this ad :)
ns lij is now de-ecognized by ACGME. dont bother applying there..go to ACGME website to confirm it

I thought it was over for me but I just had 2 more interview invites

Cleveland Clinic FL
MCP Hahnemann

Kima

architbhatt said:
ns lij is now de-ecognized by ACGME. dont bother applying there..go to ACGME website to confirm it

I am not sure how the system works, but NS-LIJ has voluntarily withdrawn from ACGME, but it still is showing up on the list of accredited programs as well.

If somebody can explain it, that would be great.

I am going to interview there on November 18 and I would have it from the horse`s mouth then.

I also got interview offer from UICoM, Peoria. Would love to have any feedback from people regarding the program.

hey alphajam,

after you are done with the interview at lijhs,could you pls msg us about what you thought about the program.especially about which is the main inst that the residents rotate through and what your overall impresion was of the program.i have mine coming up there later this month and wanted to have some kinda idea before i went.thanks in advance!gl with the interview!!

drssr said:
hey alphajam,

after you are done with the interview at lijhs,could you pls msg us about what you thought about the program.especially about which is the main inst that the residents rotate through and what your overall impresion was of the program.i have mine coming up there later this month and wanted to have some kinda idea before i went.thanks in advance!gl with the interview!!

sure, you would have it from me. Though being a foreign medical graduate, my views of a program might not be echoed by other people. But I would try to give a representative view of the program.

drssr said:
hey alphajam,

I went for my second interview at North Shore Long Island Jewish program to New York the previous Friday, November 18 and I will briefly describe my experience. It selects 7 applicants every year for its residency program and looked busy. The Chairman of the program, Dr. Ronald Kanner, who is also the Program Director is the star attraction of the program. I attended his grand rounds and the case he was discussing was sixth nerve palsy secondary to pressure effect produced on the nerve against the petrous part of the temporal bone by a metastasis secondary to the colon carcinoma in an adult man. I enjoyed his style of teaching. There were two more academic sessions that day which were also good. The program is undergoing streamlining which would help reduce the number of places residents have to go to attend cases and clinics. With this residents would mostly rotate between North Shore and LIJ. Even though the program is busy, residents looked satisfied with their work load. There is not much opportunity to do research though people get into good fellowship programs if they want to after their residency. The program is located in one of boroughs of NY, Queens which is quite peaceful compared to the bustle and din of Manhattan.

The features that this program ought to have- more speciality clinics and more clinics on campus and more opportunities to do research. Their imaging facilities were not clearly great and they are still computerizing their patient data base which could be accessed online and off campus. I didn`t have an opportunity to know more about their faculty as well because they don`t have all the information on their website.

Thanks and GL to all

I received an invitation from University of Miami today via phone call. :) Has anyone interviewed there yet and if so...what may I expect? Thanks everyone.

Update on interviews:
Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
Univ of Miami
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Univ of Florida Jacksonville
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Univ of North Carolina
UC Irvine
Univ of Chicago
Case/UH of Cleveland
Univ of Cincinnati
Barrow

Declined: Temple, UTSW, Dartmouth
Rejected from: Too many to list

anyone interviewing at univ of alabama?

interviews as of now

U of Cincinnati
Wake Forest
UIC
Loyola
University Hospitals of Cleveland
Med U of Ohio
Georgetown
Penn State
U of Nebraska
U of Arizona
Ohio State U
Oklahoma State U
Michigan State U

12 prelim invites as of yet. As far as neuro is concerned, thats all i am expecting. but theres always a glimmer of hope

gallant2m said:
interviews as of now

U of Cincinnati
Wake Forest
UIC
Loyola
University Hospitals of Cleveland
Med U of Ohio
Georgetown
Penn State
U of Nebraska
U of Arizona
Ohio State U
Oklahoma State U
Michigan State U

12 prelim invites as of yet. As far as neuro is concerned, thats all i am expecting. but theres always a glimmer of hope

For Gallant2M,

Are any of these prelim invites at the same institutions as the neurology programs you listed above? Thanks in advance.

Interviewed at Alabama (UAB) a couple of weeks ago. The residents seem really happy there. They have a new Chairman who is really energetic and the Program Director was great in the interview. The Residents like the education and clinical teaching of their faculty. I wasn't sure of Birmingham and the interview is two days, but one of the Chiefs took us on a nice tour of the city and helped answer our questions. Dinner was a highlight - great steak. I left with a completely different impression.
I still have Vanderbilt, MCG, and UVA to go.

nope, i havent received any prelim invites at the places I am doing neurology, however i didnt apply to a lot of those. but if needed, other nearby or related hospitals will lend a helping hand and accomodate me they mentioned if needed.

doctorlarry said:
For Gallant2M,

Are any of these prelim invites at the same institutions as the neurology programs you listed above? Thanks in advance.

I guess what I'm wondering is the following: For prelim interviews at the same institutions as our neurology interviews, what happens if we don't match at the neurology program? Does that automatically mean we won't match for the prelim program either? If so, then that means we should apply to prelim programs outside of those institutions.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but securing a PGY1 is stressing me out. Many of my favorite neurology programs are not integrated and only provide a prelim interview without guarantees. Does anyone have advice?

Thanks to all and happy thanksgiving!

During neurology interviews I have indeed heard from one resident that he had to go through the postmatch scramble for a prelim year :( .
He committed exactly the aforementioned error- applying only to the internal medicine at the institutions he applied at for neurology. When he matched in neurology at a specific institution no other internal med program was willing to take him and since the internal med program at his neurology clinic was a very high profile program, they would not take him either. Seems to be a not too uncommon problem.
This especially seems to apply for IMGs and FMGs.

However, I was told during all neurology interviews that they would help me find a prelim year should I match at their institution.

So rather apply for more than less prelim year positions.

BTW I have received 9 rejections and only 1 interview for a prelim year and I am an IMG. I will have to get help from the program I match with or SCRAMBLE :eek: .

NoSz said:
When he matched in neurology at a specific institution no other internal med program was willing to take him and since the internal med program at his neurology clinic was a very high profile program, they would not take him either.

I think it's crazy! If you're good enough to match at their neurology program, you should be good enough to match at their prelim program.

I think all neuro programs, next year, should become 4 years with a prelim year incorporated into it.

Methyldopa said:
I think it's crazy! If you're good enough to match at their neurology program, you should be good enough to match at their prelim program.

I think all neuro programs, next year, should become 4 years with a prelim year incorporated into it.

Perhaps this is one more obstacle for the IMG...matching at a prelim program. Looks like I will be applying widely for prelim as well...

doctorlarry said:
Perhaps this is one more obstacle for the IMG...matching at a prelim program. Looks like I will be applying widely for prelim as well...

I agree completely! This prelim thing is stressing me out more than my actual neuro applications and interviews. I am applying to prelim programs separately from neuro programs, just in case the neuro program to which I match does not offer a prelim year. I have heard that it's not difficult to find a prelim position during the scramble, but that the positions that are open during the scramble are usually in unappealing (i.e. very cold and rural) places.

I applied for 30 prelim interviews and only have 3 interviews independent from my neuro interviews. Programs that rejected me for prelim have ended up interviewing me with the neuro department at the integrated place. Feels a little odd knowing I wasn't good enough for them on my own.
I applied at less neuro programs and got 11 interviews but prelim invites are few.
Turns out that only one program I interviewed at doesn't provide the prelim year, Loyola, and I really liked them. This puts them last on my rank list though because I don't want to scramble for prelim year.
Several of the programs I have interviewed at do not have it listed on the SF Match directory as having prelim year included but it turns out they do. Another couple of programs say that unofficially they guarantee a spot. Like if they have 3 neuro slots, they guarantee 1 because their department pays for it and the other 2 it is HIGHLY likely and have never not gotten everyone a prelim spot who wanted it. My #1 has that type of story. It makes me a little nervous not to have it in black and white but they would be hurting themselves if they were lying, right?
If I had known the game a little better, it would have altered my prelim application list a little. Half of my rejections for prelim, I end up interviewing with them anyway at the same time as neuro and it seems more competitive than neuro as well. I'm a USIMG so that is probably part of it and we are competing with rads and derm guys for those spots. Programs have also told me that they don't even consider external applicants. Nice of them to tell you that before you apply.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

architbhatt said:

Hello all. Just wanted to clear up something regarding a comment previously made regarding the ACGME status of NS-LIJ Neurology Program. I'm currently a PGY-III resident in the program and I can assure you that it is fully accredited by the ACGME (in fact, Dr. Kanner is the vice-chairman of the Residency Review Committee in Neurology for the ACGME). As North Shore and LIJ programs (which were distinct entities until a few months ago) have now merged, the information that the ACGME has is now in the process of changing. Currently North Shore and LIJ are listed separately, however starting next year they will be listed together. It will be called the North Shore- LIJ Health System/Albert Einstein College of Medicine Program. This change did not occur this year because when the merger happened, the application season had already begun and therefore it would've been useless to make the change.

I also wanted to add that when candidates come for the interview, they will have the opportunity to visit both North Shore University Hospital and Long Island Jewish Medical Center. All interviews will be conducted on a Friday. Here is the schedule for the day:

7:30 to 8:30: Electrophysiology (EMG) lecture with Dr. Murthy
8:30 to 9:30: Grand Rounds (with breakfast)
9:30 to 11:30: Interviews (Between 2-3 interviews) & Speak with current residents
11:30 to 12:00: Brief teaching rounds with Dr. Kanner (Chairman)
12:00 to 12:30 Tour of North Shore University Hospital
12:30: Candidates will be escorted to Long Island Jewish Medical Center where they will tour the facility, have lunch and have a chance to speak with residents there. The interview day will end at between 2:30 and 3:30 in the afternoon.

It should also be noted that although this is the NSLIJ program, since we do have an affiliation with Albert Einstein, residents will also have a chance to do rotations at Montefiore Medical Center (the teaching hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine).

If anyone has any other questions about the program, please feel free to post. I'll be glad to reply.

Thanks.

penguins said:
Several of the programs I have interviewed at do not have it listed on the SF Match directory as having prelim year included but it turns out they do. Another couple of programs say that unofficially they guarantee a spot. Like if they have 3 neuro slots, they guarantee 1 because their department pays for it and the other 2 it is HIGHLY likely and have never not gotten everyone a prelim spot who wanted it. My #1 has that type of story. It makes me a little nervous not to have it in black and white but they would be hurting themselves if they were lying, right?

Which prelim programs are you referring to that are not listed?
Also, I am a little guarded when it comes to neurology programs that state they guarantee a portion of prelim slots, while the other slots are "highly likely". I wonder if it will be more difficult for an IMG to get a guaranteed spot versus an AMG when it comes down to the wire.
Good luck everybody!

doctorlarry said:
Which prelim programs are you referring to that are not listed?
Also, I am a little guarded when it comes to neurology programs that state they guarantee a portion of prelim slots, while the other slots are "highly likely". I wonder if it will be more difficult for an IMG to get a guaranteed spot versus an AMG when it comes down to the wire.
Good luck everybody!

It sure doesn't seem like IMG have more difficulty. It seems as if I am seeing more IMG during my interview rounds than any others. At least 50/50.

I agree about it being unsure. My logic tells me that if a program tells you this and you base your ranking on it and if you didn't get a prelim year then it would be the neurology program that would be the most screwed. You would be off track or wouldn't be able to start with them the following year so they are shooting themselves in the foot if they lie or exaggerate they claims of giving you a prelim year. All the residents at these programs who say "highly likely" have done their prelim years there and it has been about 50/50 AMGs to IMGs if not more IMGs.

I guess programs are still inviting...accepting interview with UCSD (via e-mail).

Didn't get my stuff into CAS until late October (unusual for this forum, I know). Programs received application in mid November. Applied to 13 programs most within their application deadline.

Invitations
Case
Wisconsin
Cincinnati
Medical Univ of Ohio
Louisville

Haven't heard from (and at this point don't expect to)
Ohio State
KEntucky
Vanderbilt
Med U of S. Carolina
UVA
North Carolina
Indiana
Medical College of Wisconsin

Flat out rejections
None

I would definitly encourage those who have not heard from schools they are really interested in to make some calls, as sometimes mistakes do happen. Just this week I discovered CAS made some mistakes sending out my info...

Can't believe I am still getting interview offers at this stage in the game,
in the past 2 weeks I have had phone calls from
UT Southwestern
Cleveland Clinic Foundation.

Apparently a few schools were given the wrong email addresses for me and after a few emails were sent back to them they decided to give me a quick call. Thank goodness or I would have missed out on a few good ones!

Interview acceptances:
U Arizona
Cleveland Clinic
U Florida
U Kentucky
U Rochester
U North Caroline
Duke
Case Western
UT Southwestern
UVA

Rejections
Mayo- too cold anyway!
UCSD- too hot?
Johns Hopkins-can't root for the Ravens
Columbia- now I don't have to choose Yankees vs Mets
Vanderbilt- won't have to buy a new cowboy hat!

Just kidding, all of those programs are great!

I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, and if so, would anyone care to comment on the interview day? Hope everyone is doing well with their interviews.

HEY GUYS, just wondering if anyone interviewed at UIC, Thomas Jefferson, and/or Cleveland Clinic.

I loved CCF but not the city. I like philly but not sure about TJU. I haven't interviewed at UIC yet. Anyway input/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

doctorlarry said:
I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, and if so, would anyone care to comment on the interview day? Hope everyone is doing well with their interviews.

hey, my interview was great. i actually rotated there, so my view might be a bit biased. Lederman might have been a bit more scrutinizing--rigthfully so. The others were so laid back and about getting to know you. Dr. Mays is so nice. A great number of residents were around so that was good. Not sure what else you want to know.

To Gopherbrain or anyone else:

While I have my preferences according to location, I was curious what others think about the following programs according to strength/reputation.

Cleveland Clinic Foundation
University of Miami
UNC Chapel Hill
Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
UC San Diego
UC Irvine
Cleveland Clinic Florida

Does anyone care to rank these based on strength/reputation alone? Thanks to all.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum; I've been looking at some of the posts and they're really helpful. I was wondering if anyone might have answers to some of the following questions, please?

I was wondering if anyone knows which programs had unfilled positions last year and maybe why (or where to find out this info.?)? For example, I heard U of Chicago didn't fill last year?

Also, are there any programs that would be considered malignant?

Also, does anyone know if UCSF and Cornell send letters of rejection, or do they just not contact you if they're not interviewing you?

Has anyone asked a program to reconsider after receiving a rejection? Has it worked and if so, how did you ask?

Are you guys sending thank you notes by e-mail or snail-mail, what format, and to only some people (e.g Program Director) or every interviewer?

Thanks a lot, guys. I'll try to answer other's questions if I can. Good luck to all in this...

Curius

hi guys,

i was wondering if anyone didn't like cleveland clinic in ohio? i interviewed there a while ago, but i got a kind of negative vibe, which still bothers me because i expected it to be such a positive experience. i'm hoping it's ok for me to post a message like this...i did notice that they haven't completely filled in the past when i looked at scutwork.

(by the way, i found scutwork mentions places that didn't fill previously. but i'm confused b/c i didn't seen u of chicago listed from last year?? anyone know why?)

I took people's advice and called/emailed 2 programs that I had contact with earlier in the season but never actually gotten an interview from. (They had contacted me earlier for additional information)
I was really bummed when nothing came of it. One progam said they hadn't closed the book on interviews (vauge!) and the other didn't even respond to my message or email.
However, I just got an invitation from that 2nd program due to a cancellation. Of course, I know this means I wasn't 1st choice but perhaps I got the newly empty spot because of my call/email.
Just FYI

curius said:
hi guys,

i was wondering if anyone didn't like cleveland clinic in ohio? i interviewed there a while ago, but i got a kind of negative vibe, which still bothers me because i expected it to be such a positive experience. i'm hoping it's ok for me to post a message like this...i did notice that they haven't completely filled in the past when i looked at scutwork.

(by the way, i found scutwork mentions places that didn't fill previously. but i'm confused b/c i didn't seen u of chicago listed from last year?? anyone know why?)

Generally, the Cleveland Clinic is though of as an excellent program. What didn't you like about the Cleveland Clinic? What experiences did you have that gave you a "negative vibe"?

Also, I have found that the information available regarding programs filling is often horribly inaccurate. I interviewed there went I was a medical student. It was a very competitive program. I doubt that the Cleveland Clinic did not fill last year.

pretty late in the game but just got an interview from VCU.

Who is VCU?
I ask because I got a rejection letter from a virginia school today.

virginia commonwealth u, im gonna need to cancel it. too late to be flying all over the place.

Two more interview offers at USC and Georgetown. Wish they had informed me sooner...scheduling is near impossible now. :rolleyes: