Interview impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Surpised at the timing fo radbio/physics. I like the idea of only having to sit through the course once..but would prefer second or third year over first year..

Members don't see this ad.

Me too. I like the formal setup, but not that you have to go back and review everything 2-3 years later. Apparently no one has had any trouble with either exam in the recent past, though.

Me too. I like the formal setup, but not that you have to go back and review everything 2-3 years later. Apparently no one has had any trouble with either exam in the recent past, though.

I liked how many offered it every year but allowed you to test out of it at some point so you could not go during R-2 year then use it for review during your third year.

Members don't see this ad :)

We have a dedicated week long course for radbio and another week long course for physics. It's a great set-up, and we get it every year to help reinforce things...

Has been a while, but want to try and cover the rest of my interviews in the next few days.

UCLA

Location: I had not previously been to LA prior to going on this interview. Had heard good and bad things about the city. The bad was mostly true; the traffic is awful one of the days I was there was a bit smoggy. However, it was January and 65 degrees, which is always okay in my book. Got to visit Santa Monica, which was gorgeous. Additionally, the Westwood area of LA was beautiful with tons of nice shops and restaurants. Seems like there are a lot of great apartments in the area. I also got the feeling that the rental market is not as expensive as the real estate market. I thought it was a really livable area. One of the residents mentioned that there is subsidized housing available within a few miles which was very affordable and relatively spacious, although most of the residents lived within walking distance to the medical center. Overall, this is one of the better locations in the country.

Facilities/Technology: I don't quite recall all of the specifics. I know they were getting one of those ViewRay machines like WashU (and I think Wisconsin?). Installing a True Beam now. The chief physicist (recently recruited from WashU) also commented that they are moving towards 100% MRI-based simulations. If I recall correctly, residents spend most of their time at UCLA-Ronald Regan Medical Center, but also do peds at Children's Hospital-LA and UCLA recently built a breast center in Santa Monica (which is where they get their breast experience). Oh, and West LA VA rotation. Robust brachytherapy experiences. Don't remember much else about technology.

Research: Up to 10-months, taken in 2-month blocks or contiguously. Very supportive of whatever you would like to do, whether it be intra-departmentally or not. UCLA has a ton of resources. The Department is trying to beef up its research profile. Physics research definitely going to be a strength here given the new ViewRay machine, etc. Supportive of Holman Pathway (at least one resident was pursuing this option).

Didactics: Didactics on Wednesday morning, Friday morning, and Friday at noon. Seemed sufficient.

Faculty: This place has recently had tremendous growth. Went from 2-3 clinical faculty members to 13 in the span of 4-5 years. Physics has seen a similar trend. Dr. Steinberg is a pretty cool guy. Went from private practice baller to Department chair who really wants to inject some roids into UCLA. As he explained it, UCLA clearly is a top-notch institution, and its worthy of a top radiation oncology program. The faculty and residents all loved him. As one of the faculty members put it, "Steinberg does everything faster, larger, and better than he ever said he would." If you interview there, just ask him how he has done what he has so quickly; it's a great chat. Everyone else I met with was very nice. The PD was not the most conversational that I had met (and actively hated on LA as a city compared with the Bay area), but he was nice. One of the former PP guys, Dr. Beron, was hilarious. The chief of physics was easily the least awkward of all my physics interviews (and he actually did 90% of the talking, for a change). Rad Bio dude was a cool Scottish dude.

Residents: Now taking 2/year. Hoping to expand (who doesn't have plans for expansion?). Didn't have a ton of face time with the residents. Definitely a mostly SoCal group. They all seemed to be happy, but again, hard to assess given limited time with them.

Clinical Load: I got the sense that they were rather busy here. Volume has seen a big uptick since Steinberg took over and probably should have a larger resident group to cover for the increased volume.

Interview Day: Dinner the night before at a nice restaurant in Westwood with four residents. Dr. Steinberg provided some excellent wines for us. Start off with overview of program by PD, chair, and rad bio dude. Over the course of the day we had seven 25-minute interviews. Lunch was some amazing Asian-fusion takeout; best catered lunch hands down. Over lunch had a number of great talks by several research faculty about the different work going on in the department. Had a short tour of department and medical center. Day wraps up in good time, something like 2-3p – Plenty of time to head to the ocean, like I did.

Overall Impression: I was actually pretty impressed with this place. Chief resident at my home program said that he wouldn't have considered training at UCLA 5-years ago, but things have definitely changed very quickly. Of course, still some risk as it's not as well-established as other programs. I didn't have the schedule to interview at UCSD, but my guess is UCLA will have to fight them to be the best in SoCal given how impressed people seemed to be with UCSD. If you want to stay in the LA area this is probably a great place to train given Steinberg's connections within the PP community. Overall, they want to be "top 10"…they're not there, nor do I think they will be. But, keep up the great work! Would move it up the list.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone with the impressions.. This is the best batch yet. Especially since a lot of these programs haven't been reviewed in such detail. Good stuff.

I'll try to add to the thread without repeating on any previous programs reviewed as I agree with everything said thus far. These reviews have been awesome and I really hope they help future applicants. And to emphasize previous posts, EVERY program was great in its own respect, and we are fortunate to be in such a great field. I'll do Virginia today and try stay close with VCU tomorrow and then I'm done! (this is more work than I thought :)

University of Virginia

Location: I can honestly say from my visit that this is easily one of the best places in the country to live. Charlottesville is an incredibly beautiful city with tons of historical significance and charm. There are lots of restaurants, bars, and the college nightlife is hopping, but the city also has a solid young professional scene. Also gets great music and has lots of outdoor activities, wineries, etc. Close proximity to Richmond and DC if that interests you. One downside was the tiny, tiny airport that I had to fly in and out of which may limit your accessibility to travel (but the residents said they drove to DC for an airport....can't imagine dealing with that traffic regularly). If I had to do it again I think flying into Richmond would be the way to go.

Facilities/Technology: The new cancer center was amazing. Named after the late Emily Couric, her sister and broadcaster Katie Couric donated? and/or helped raisee a lot of money to make this a gorgeous cancer center. I believe they had 2 tomotherapy machines and had a CT-on-rails setup in the brachytherapy suite (they said one of the few in the world). Don't remember much else about the technology.

Research: Research opportunities seemed to be present here but you would probably need to work a little harder to find them. They seemed to be doing some clinical trials with hypofractionation and faster sim-to-treat times (they told me that they treat lots of rural folks who cant make more than a couple trips) which seemed very interesting and cost effective. If you are interested in basic science I think its lacking but I'm sure with such a great institution as UVA you could collaborate with other departments rather easily.

Didactics: Don't remember much but the residents seemed to be pleased with the training.

Faculty: Faculty were great. The PD seemed to genuinely care about the residents and he seemed to really take their point of view very seriously in terms of making changes/improvements to the program. They had recently hired a new faculty from Henry Ford?, I think, that will take over PD and he seemed really awesome. The chair had a few off the wall questions and seemed a bit eccentric but I was told he is a really good guy. Other faculty that interviewed with were great.

Residents: Residents were awesome. Really great group of people that seemed easy to get along with and def people I would like to hang out with outside of work.

Clinical Load:
A little tough to remember numbers but the residents didnt seem overwhelmed with work load at all. It seemed service dependent but I heard zero complaints from any residents about scut or being overworked.

Wild Card:
If you were interested in protons you were offered the opportunity to travel to Switzerland for a one month proton rotation. Yes, Switzerland! And even encouraged to tag your vacation to the 4 week rotation and spend 6-7 weeks abroad. Totally awesome!!! Wild card downside is the 1-2-1-2 number of residents spots. We are in the "1" year (total bummer as I would like at least one other co-resident to suffer with) but something to keep in mind if you are an applicant applying next year ("2" year).

Overall Impression:
This place was great! I can't imagine a better place to train in terms of quality of life. The institutional reputation of UVA is incredible but I think the mid-tier rank of the Rad Onc department steers some top candidates away, which I think is very regrettable (in my opinion this program is VERY underrated). If places like Washington, Colorado, Utah (other outdoorsy places) interest you than this is a must see. This one was moved WAY up on my rank list from the position I had it pre-interview/visit.

Last edited:
VCU

Location: Similar to UVA, the location is great. Richmond is a beautiful city with lots to do. This was another Saturday interview and I was able to spend all Sunday exploring Richmond, which was a great time. Great restaurants and easy going people. Close to lots of other cool spots for quick weekend vacations.

Facilities/Technology: Massey Cancer Center was very nice. Lots of standard technology with a bit of an emphasis on brachytherapy I think.

Research: 6 months dedicated time. Didn't get a good feel for specific projects but research seemed available. VCU itself is a pretty big time research university. They did have some collaborations with the School of Engineering on some imaging projects which I personally thought was pretty neat.

Didactics: Seemed a little more intense than I was expecting. Was told during a couple interviews that the Socratic method was prevalent here and residents were expected to be prepared at all of the didactics which were mornings ~3x a week.

Faculty: Chair is board certified in both medicine and rad onc which I'm sure adds to the training. The other faculty seemed easy to get along with and would provide good training. Good mix of older and younger faculty.

Residents: Number/structure is a downside (to me): currently 2-3-1-2 in terms of resident numbers (following the expansion to 8 residents) and they are only taking 1 this year. Didn't spend to much time with the residents during my stay but seemed nice and super easy to get along with.

Clinical Load: Seemed to get to do a lot of prostate seed implants at the local VA which is a huge plus. I believe had to go to St. Judes or elsewhere for Peds but all other requirements met in Richmond. Seemed overall average clinic load and no one appeared overwhelmed.

Wild Card: It seemed that most residents and faculty had a connection to VCU (medical school, lived there in the past, etc) which is open to interpretation. To me, Richmond is such an awesome city it makes sense people would want to come back or just stay put for their career!

Overall Impression:
Another great program that is probably underrated. I personally preferred UVA slightly (maybe because of Charlotesville) but VCU is worth checking out if you want to end up around the area. I think whoever matches here this year will not be disappointed and I would def not be upset if that person were me!

Anonymous Reviews

Only going to mention the stuff I found to be important (and what I can remember)

Cleveland Clinic: Cleveland is not the most awesome place to live, but the hospital itself is truly beautiful. Amazing facilities and the staff all seem really nice. All of the faculty go by their first names with the residents. Resident's room has windows. Peds experience is done at St. Judes. Chart rounds can be stressful but definitely not malignant. They take 3 residents a year and all of them seem very happy. Work load seemed maybe slightly more than other places but nothing crazy. Intern year is built in with a lot of OR time.

Emory: Atlanta is a fun city, but the traffic can be bad. You rotate through 4 places and teleconference into chart rounds, meetings, conferences. Plenty of protected educational time. Getting protons in less than 5 years. Some attendings seemed a little pretentious and not quite as warm as the other places. Residents seemed happy but worked very hard due to the large volume. They take 4 a year. Intern year is built in and most residents said it was a positive experience.

LIJ-Hofstra: In Long Island which I consider to be close enough to the city to be a very desirable location. Subsidized housing coupled with a very high salary means for a comfortable standard of living. Very new program but the attendings and chairman seemed very motivated to develop the program. The pre-interview dinner had a lot of attendings present which was probably because they only had a couple residents in the program and needed more people to talk to the applicants. Good work hours. Radbio is taught in house instead of how most of the other nyc programs do it in combination with each other. Residents seem really happy.

Einstein/Montefiore: In the Bronx which some people don't like, but whatever it's better than the little town my med school was in. Residents work really hard on certain services. Subsidized housing which makes rent very affordable. Attendings all seem to be motivated to help the residents. Chairman is so likable that I wish he was my grandfather. Taking 3 residents this year but it's different from year to year with plans to expand the program.

Iowa: College town with a tiny airport. Flights cancelled all the time. Brand new department built with input from the radiation oncology department, so it has excellent workflow. In dept 3T MRI which you can use for planning, research, and anything else you want it for. I believe they also have n in dept PET/CT scanner. Residents seem happy, but most are married or don't seem like the going out type. Their PD is from Cleveland Clinic and plans to introduce more mock oral type situations into the curriculum. Workload seemed decent. Has plans for protons but will not be up and running for 7 years probably.

Buffalo: Sort of a small town, but has a decent sized airport which southwest flies out of. Near Canada and Niagara falls which can be a nice getaway. Hospital is a cancer center with no other residents except radonc. So you work with attendings directly… can be good or bad. Residents seem happy with decent work hours. PD is a very charismatic guy who is increasing the requirements for research in hopes of getting graduates where they want to go after residency. They take 2 or 1 depending on the year.

Upstate: Syracuse is sort of a small town with a decent sized airport but southwest does not fly out of Syracuse. Brand new cancer center being constructed with a new set of resident rooms and a bunch of new toys. Residents all seem happy with decent work hours. Not a lot of research going on. The chairman is also the PD. They take 2 or 1 depending on the year. Attendings seem very nice and supportive.

Anonymous review
Kansas

I hesitate to even write this review considering how small the field is, but I feel it is important enough to chance. This was not a good interview. I was excited for this interview, as I'd heard good things about Kansas City and left very disappointed.

Now here's where it gets tricky, I can't go too much into detail about the negatives because of how small the field is and to protect everyone involved. Suffice it to say the summary is: Building built in the 70's, sat there all day waiting to be interviewed between patients by faculty, cover up to 4-5 attendings at once leading to overwork, as well as being pulled multiple directions at once, no time for research (1 month maybe), and I could go on. (Nurse came to tell a resident to take care of billing while I was there...) Now, on the plus side if you are more into the clinical side you will certainly see plenty of patients.

I guess the easiest way to put it is this: Even in a field as competitive as this, I chose not to rank this program as I would have rather gone unmatched, and tried my hand at next year. The one positive was the residents here, are one of the greatest group of people I met on the trail. Funny, intelligent and real joy to spend the day with. Also, if you haven't been, Kansas City is a wonderful town, and one that I would have enjoyed spending 4 years in.

I hope that this program can get things together because the raw material isn't bad, but until something changes I'd advise caution when applying here. (It seems as though they now have a residency coordinator, and so that is a step in the right direction!)

Anonymous reviews

U of Minnesota
This place doesn't necessarily have the big-name faculty that some institutions have, but everyone I met was extremely nice and very approachable. Overall, the faculty seemed very warm and close with the residents. The residents seemed like a very satisfied group. Several were married with children and expressed gratitude toward the department for being very flexible with kids' doctor visits, etc.
Three month long rotations, six months of research, and three months of dosimetry/physics/medical oncology rotations. Residents spend a total of three months at the VA and three months at a university-associated private practice. The hours seemed totally reasonable. The office where they conducted interviews was old and dingy. However, the clinical area looked very nice. They have Tomotherapy and 2 linacs. There is some exciting physics research going on here but not much else. According to my notes around 50% end up in academics, but that sounds high. I think many grads end up in the greater Minneapolis area. The pre-interview dinner was at a trendy tapas-style restaurant, but it was quite loud (lots of bachelorette parties yelling "WOOHOO!") and consequently difficult to converse with residents.
Overall: this is a solid average program that attracts residents from the northern Midwest.

Mayo - Rochester
Faculty here seem to have a commitment to providing compassionate patient care. There is an energy about this place that could be very infectious. Everyone I encountered was incredibly gracious, very welcoming, and all seemed like they would make outstanding mentors. The residents are an incredibly well-adjusted, collegial group. They seemed very happy with the program and I think this was the only interview day where the residents were as dressed up and spiffy as the applicants. Mayo seemed like a classy place. Best lunch on the interview trail at a local restaurant downtown.
Morning conference seemed like it has the potential to become intense, but the resident-on-resident pimping seemed more warm and collegial, fitting with the atmosphere of the institution. 6-9 months of research. Hours are typically 8-5. There is a six month block during the final year where the resident essentially functions as an attending with minimal supervision. This is the only program to my knowledge that has this, which is only possible because Mayo has the money to essentially not charge these patients full physician fees. This is a HUGE strength of the program and produces grads who have already experienced the autonomy of an attending. Very nice facilities, though it is located in the basement. The new proton building is currently under construction about a block away and is scheduled to be completed in 2015, if I recall correctly. Six linacs and three sims. One radiobiologist, which may be seen as a downside if basic science research is your thing. Clinical and translational research is stressed here. Residents typically graduate with at least five first author publications and are actually required to create a clinical protocol. Obviously, it is Mayo Clinic so oncology clinical trials are plentiful. Also, it sounds like while many of the patients come from the Midwest, they frequently see extremely rare pathology from patients traveling great distances. Ultimately, the grads get a good mix of academics and private practice jobs, with more entering academics. Residents frequently stay at Mayo, though many return to where they came from if not from the Midwest. I think one resident said he was going back to Utah, one last year went to MDACC, etc. It doesn't seem Iike there is any regional restriction in finding employment, though few have tried to go East. Plus, residents have very lengthy CVs from all their publications and are very well trained clinically, which makes them extremely competitive for jobs.
Overall: a top program with many research opportunities in a wonderfully supportive environment that will make you a truly outstanding radiation oncologist... if you can handle the size and temperature of Rochester.

U of Wisconsin
Much has been said about the faculty here and I would again echo that Paul Harari is easily the kindest chairman I met on the interview trail. It doesn't seem like the department has suffered with the loss of Mehta. Residents were extremely open, very nice, approachable, humble, interesting, and funny individuals. Everyone seemed truly happy and it was definitely a group that I could enjoy hanging out with outside of work.
Faculty-driven didactics. Up to 10 months for research. Hours 8-5ish. Facilities were probably the most beautiful that I saw on the interview trail. I would liken them to a Woodlands spa. Plenty of exciting research going on here in both the clinical and basic sciences with some slick basic science lab space in a nearby building. Great location in my opinion. Madison is a good sized city with plenty of restaurants, low cost of living, and all four seasons. Great beer and cheese in Wisconsin! Outcomes are evenly split between academics and PP. Recent grads have gone to Florida, MDACC, MSKCC, Mayo, Harvard, or stayed at Wisconsin.
Overall: a top midwestern program with very happy residents, plenty of research opportunities, and excellent academic outcomes.

U of Colorado
Lots of very active and outdoorsy faculty here. The chair was a little awkward (though well-intentioned). Everyone else was very approachable and friendly. Residents are also a very active and outdoorsy group. Everyone seemed very nice and content with their decision to pursue residency there, but it didn't get a huge sense of passion/innovation here.
I think the didactic structure here is outstanding. All didactics take place on Thursday afternoons from 12 to 5 PM. I think this is preferable to having them interspersed throughout the week like other departments do. There is usually 1 academic day per week where residents can do some research. Dedicated research time is given depending on the project between 3 and 12 months total. There seems to be some uncertainty about the future of the department with recent mergers. I walked away having doubts about their financial stability. There is some research going on here, but it's clearly not a powerhouse. I think one resident is doing some lab work. I was also surprised by the pre-interview dinner. It's a small thing, but the Program Cordinator came to dinner and refused to let the residents order appetizers, drinks, or desserts for the table, which was kind of awkward. I'm guessing they simply didn't have the budget to pay for such luxuries, but that probably should've been worked out beforehand. Outcomes are 50:50. Recent grads ended up at VCU, Wayne State, MDACC (satellite?), and a Harvard satellite,
Overall: an average program that is weak in research and tends to attract strong residents from the region. Great if you are an ultra-marathoner or big into cycling.

U of Utah
Awesome PD and Program Coordinator. Some of the attendings were a bit quirky, but they were all friendly and harmless. I missed the dinner so my interaction with the residents was actually minimal, but during the day they were all very nice and seemed happy with their decision to do residency at Utah.
Per the residents, didactics are outstanding. Low scut. Plenty of research opportunities. High research productivity of residents. I agree that the department has the most beautiful views of any on the interview trail. It really is nestled at the base of a mountain (HOW DID THEY DO THAT???). Department was also above ground, which is nice. The awesomeness of Salt Lake City was emphasized ad nauseum throughout throughout the day. My notes say 80% go into to private practice.
Overall: this is a great program if you are very outdoorsy and want to have a low scut, low stress residency while enjoying some of the best skiing in the country. Also, this is the only place where you are assumed to be a Mormon on your "Mission" if you wear a suit to the airport (true story).

U of Washington
Faculty were all very approachable. There's a new chairperson starting soon and the program director in particular was very excited about the individual selected for the job. The old chairperson is leaving to run the proton center. This is probably the hippest group of residents that I encountered on the interview trail. I think living in Seattle would allow me to fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a hipster, but they repeatedly emphasized the awesomeness of Seattle throughout the day which got old fast. Could it really life up to the hype? I don't know.
According to the residents, didactics are excellent. Residents get 3 months in the fourth year and another 3 months in the fifth year for research, but 12 months can be arranged for "appropriate" projects. I could not get a good feel for how hard the residents were working or how good the support staff is. The residents do rotate at several different sites and Seattle traffic can be quite bad, which is kind of a downer. Facilities are average. They do have neutrons, which is arguably irrelevant to learn unless you plan to stay at UW after residency. While the Hutchinson Cancer Center has plenty of oncology-related research opportunities, the actual department has very few research projects and does not have a strong track record for radiation oncology research. Outcomes are mixed, with more academic than private practice in recent years. Recently, graduates have gone to MDACC, Harvard, Cleveland Clinic, and stayed on at UW.
Overall: a strong program with hard-working residents in a fantastic city where the deficiency in research productivity is balanced by the serious hipster cultivating potential of Seattle.

U of Iowa
Faculty seemed very nice and approachable. We had drinks with faculty at a nice local restaurant followed by dinner with residents the night before the interview. PD and Chair seemed like very normal, warm, reasonable and approachable people. The department is small and faculty treat multiple sites. As with most other programs, the residents were very approachable and seemed very happy with the decision to do residency at Iowa.
They have a very well-thought-out curriculum design by the current program director. Basically, residents rotate through each disease site once their first year and then see everything once again by the time they graduate. Didactics are actually formal courses offered by the university. For research/electives there are different pathways that can be tailored to the resident's interests. There is a total of 6 months of research for non-Holman residents. Strong support for Holman. Dedicated radiation biology department (with PhD program) means fantastic research opportunities. Plenty of bench research opportunities with beautiful lab space in the glass biomedical research buildings. The clinical research opportunities seem limited compared with a high-volume place like MDACC or Mayo, which is expected. The department was shiny and new. Outcomes: 50-50
Overall: a fantastic small mid-tier program with very strong research support and great quality of life in Iowa City.

Medical College of Wisconsin
Faculty were fine, though some were more approachable than others. One of the attendings actually bragged that the residents work very hard and end up coming into the department on weekends to catch up on work and do research. The Program Coordinator's behavior was utterly bizarre. She sat in a tiny conference room with applicants between their interviews and viciously interrogated them with very aggressive questioning. She asked about marital status, other programs where we were applying and interviewing, and directly asked if we would move to Milwaukee. It was very odd and turned me off to the program almost immediately. In between interviews an applicant looked at his cell phone briefly and the Program Cordinator immediately snapped at him and told him to put his phone away if he wanted to be ranked at all. It was during a break so it was totally uncalled for. She also told us that we would not be ranked if we did not send a thank you card. Most residents are from the region and seemed content with their choice but were not overly enthusiastic about MCW. No pre-interview dinner, so my exposure was limited. When residents did come to talk with applicants between interviews, the bizarre Program Cordinator dominated all conversations.
Didactics seemed fine, but residents are required to attend didactics at the main campus even if they are rotating at the VA or satellite locations. This means commuting to the site directly after didactics, which is highly inefficient. Residents often cover two or three attendings at a time and the schedules sometimes overlap resulting in residents missing sims or having their contours corrected by attendings without getting any feedback on them. This makes for a very poor educational environment and essentially treats residents as laborers. Average facilities. Average research opportunities. Outcomes: 70-30 in favor of academics, but most stay at MCW.*
Overall: Because of the Program Cordinator, I lost interest in this program almost immediately and ranked this program last. I'm sure it's fine - just not for me.

UCSF
Much has been written about this place and I agree with the previous postings. To summarize, the faculty were very nice and approachable but there is certainly a lack of enthusiasm. I wonder if it's just the West Coast mentality… And yes, Roach made it essentially no eye contact and emailed and checked port films for the duration of my interview. The PD and younger faculty were all great. Same story for the residents. Everyone was very nice, very approachable, and seem to love San Francisco, but there just wasn't the passion for radiation oncology that I saw at other institutions.*
The PD is very clear that you need to be a self-starter to do well at UCSF. Totally fine with me and I appreciate her being upfront. The hours are totally reasonable, with plenty of time to enjoy the beautiful city. One year of research, I think? Research opportunities here are fantastic, especially in CNS. Residents rotate at two campuses. Virtually every treatment modality is represented aside from protons. Beautiful Parnassus views but old facilities. Overall the residents were very clear that UCSF as an institution is very inefficient. Support staff are scarce. Resident scut is high. I think the reason why so many residents go into private practice is largely because they are heavily recruited by very desirable practices in outstanding locations. The residents essentially get offers they can't refuse. I think after living in San Francisco, the residents are willing to sacrifice their academic career aspirations to continue living in arguably the most beautiful (except Hawaii) state in the country.
Overall: this is clearly a top program in a beautiful location with outstanding research opportunities and great job placement, but you have to be a self-starter and able to deal with scut in order to thrive here. But be careful, because you just may find that you love living in San Francisco more than those childhood dreams of publishing a NEJM article.*

MDACC
This is a heavily reviewed program, so I'll try to keep it short. Basically, the faculty are fantastic. Super famous and incredibly friendly. The chair was especially impressive to me for both his accomplishments and his lack of pretension. The PD seemed like a very no nonsense kind of guy and was clearly a huge advocate for the residents. Residents are extremely happy here. They are obviously a very close group. One of the Chiefs gave a morning conference presentation and mentioned that his co-residents were one of the best aspects of the program; it's easy to see why.
I was told by one resident that "nobody's going to pimp you" and "you have to be a self-starter here." Another resident told me that one of the best aspects of the program is that "this place can run without you" and consequently scut is minimal. However, he then followed up by saying one of the shortcomings of the program is that "this place can run without you" so if you're looking for a department where your presence is necessary for it to function, this is not the place for you. This is the perfect place for somebody who is a self-starter, reads independently, and takes initiative in patient care. Beautiful facilities. Ridiculous research opportunities that are primarily clinical/translational, though basic science research opportunities are improving. The proton center was breathtaking. Watching the gantry rotate with my favorite experience on the interview trail (you'll see). Outcomes: primarily academics but the sky is the limit here. Many grads end up in the southwest but could obviously end up anywhere in the country if they wanted. While most PGY5s on the interview trail mentioned how tough this year's job market is, the MDACC PGY5s sang a completely different tune. For them, offers were frequently made before any positions were openly advertised. It was only after the MDACC grad turned a job down that the position would be open for the rest of the country to see.
Overall: an iconic institution that is perfect for the applicant who wants to buy a big house, work with leaders of the field, and doesn't mind a little heat. Oh, and if you ask Dr. Cox to rotate the proton gantry, grab a box of tissues because it's more beautiful than a newborn baby.

Duke
Faculty were very approachable. Malignancy is certainly a thing of the past. PD seemed incredibly supportive of residents; same with the chairman. The PD was very clear that Duke is an academically-oriented program. Very cool group of residents that seemed quite happy at Duke. They stressed the quality of life in Durham, with dirt cheap housing and a vibrant twenty-something social scene due to its location in the 'Research Triangle'...
Every day from 8 to 9 the residents have didactics. 6 to 12 months of research, depending on departmental approval. More oversight in selecting research projects than other programs, which could be nice but could also feel a little paternalistic. Good-sized department with solid research opportunities. Everything is linear accelerator-based in the department. That means no tomotherapy, gamma knife, cyber knife or protons. Minimal brachytherapy. Beautiful facilities and campus. 11 of 18 of past residents are in academics. They were very clear that placing residents in academic positions is a priority.
Overall: this is a fantastic program for someone who wants to live in a midsized city in the south with excellent faculty support, plenty of research opportunities, and has a clear academic focus.*

Harvard
So much as been said about Harvard that I will try to keep this brief. Basically, the faculty were heterogeneous because of the vast number of people we interviewed with. Most seemed like great people. D'Amico was very 'zen'... The chair/PD was super nice... And Zietman's accent made my day. There was one interview that I recall vividly (will not name the individual) because I was only able to speak about 5 words before a 30 minute monologue occupied the entirety of the interview. Residents are a happy group, but not what as happy as, say, Yale. Sean was the most charismatic resident I encountered on the trail and I could easily talk with him for hours. I think rotating at several different institutions gives residents a sense of anonymity that is not necessarily a good thing. They seemed frustrated with the different record systems at each institution. They did seem to enjoy Boston, however.
As I alluded to previously, residents rotate at something like five different institutions, many with their own medical record in contouring software. I think overall this is a good thing for resident education, because they graduate with unbelievably broad exposure, but the quality of life might not be as good as other programs. Didactics are more hands-on at the Brigham, whereas they are more hands off at MGH (or is it the other way around?)... Because it's such a big institution not everybody is going to know your name and you may not rotate with that famous person you were hoping to work with the clinic. Obviously, the research opportunities are limitless. Residents get one year that is totally flexible and could be spent doing a masters degree if research isn't your thing. Outcomes are arguably the best in the world. Graduates do whatever they want to do.
Overall: it's hard to dispute the amazing outcomes after completion of this program, however, if you are looking for a single, close-knit department where everybody knows your name, this is not the right place for you.

Yale
Plenty has been written about Yale, and I agree with everything that is been written before. Wilson completely rocks. Number one for happiest residents on the interview trail. The group was very lighthearted and clearly enjoyed being at work every day. New Haven was as-advertised, with some cute areas and some super sketchy areas. Proximity to NYC with suburban location is a plus, in my opinion.
Protected time for didactics between 8 and 9 every morning. One year of research. Plenty of time during clinical rotations for research as well. I think the cancer center is still up and coming in the medical and surgical oncology communities. Apparently, there is only one CT simulator in the department at the moment. They are certainly on an upward trajectory, but because they have only become great within the past decade, their name does not yet have national recognition. Outcomes: 60:40 in favor of academics.
Overall: if you want to program where you go into work with a smile on your face every day and leave with an even bigger smile, this is the place for you.

Stanford
Faculty here were a lot more stoic than other institutions. That said, many seemed very pleasant. Dr. Donaldson was just as sharp and feisty as I expected. The residents here were difficult to read. They all raved about the bay area, however, when asked whether or not they were happy with the program there were mixed responses. I think resident scut continues to be a problem and the hours here are longer than most other programs. Many residents seemed content with their situation but not overly warm and fuzzy about the department. I got the sense they didn't fully realize what they were getting themselves into. Palo Alto is beautiful but crazy expensive, especially given the fact that (come on, let's be honest) it's in suburbia.
Average didactics, if a bit light. One year for research. The residents were very enthusiastic about the research opportunities. The hours were 7-7 or 8ish. Clearly, this is a department with significant history in radiation oncology. Apparently, the new chairperson is taking the department to new places. They are heavy on cyber knife and light on brachytherapy. Outcomes: more academics than private practice and with very diverse job placement. I got the sense that job opportunities for graduates of this program are not as good as their neighbor to the north.
Overall: This is clearly a top residency program with great research opportunities and tons of history, but it may not be worth the expense of long hours with high scut.

WashU
Most faculty were incredibly approachable and Dr. Hallahan is absolutely a visionary. The new PD, however, clearly had no interest in me or my application and did not know anything about me before sitting down for the interview. I understand they interview a lot of applicants, but after spending nearly $1000 to interview there, I found it extremely rude. At one point she pulled up my transcript on her computer screen and commented that I had quite a few passes, which I had to explain was the highest grade I could get in those courses (they were all pre-clinical). Residents were really cool and interesting people. They seemed very happy with the program and emphasized the outstanding support for research. When asked about St. Louis, the residents were very enthusiastic about how great of a city it was. However, when asked about the crime in St. Louis many residents had a story or two about somebody they knew (acquaintance or closer) who had been murdered/mugged/raped. I'd really rather not be murdered during residency, thank you very much.
Good didactics. Hours usually 8-530. Large sized department with plenty of research opportunities. Huge emphasis on research and significant support for Holman. The mini-proton facility should be opening in the near future. Decent-looking facilities, but several offices had ceilings that made very loud creaking noises and I found myself frequently wondering if the ceilings were going to come crashing down. Maybe it was just interview fatigue. Outcomes: 70% end up in academics with recent graduates going to Mayo, UCSF, and staying on at WashU.*
Overall: this is a fantastic top-tier research oriented program with St. Louis being a significant downside.*

Vanderbilt
I thought the faculty here were fantastic. One of the physicists plays a game of jeopardy with each applicant, which was my favorite interview on the trail. PD was very pleasant and approachable. Program Coordinator was warm and bubbly. The chairman is from private practice and was probably the most genuine and open person I met on the trail. When asked about the future of the department, he plainly said 'I don't know' and expressed his concern with the future of healthcare reimbursement. I appreciated his honesty and while Medicare changes will certainly affect all departments nationally, it did leave me a little concerned about the department's future. Residents were a very fun, laid-back group. Many with MD/PhDs.
They interview everyone on the same day in several staggered groups, which was a bit confusing. Hours are totally reasonable, usually 8-5. 12 months of research plus one day a week of academic time. More of a clinical research focus than in years past due to the new chair, but still strong in the basic sciences. This is clearly an academically focused program. It is undisputable that Nashville is a very cool city. Outcomes: 90% in academics, most recently at UTSW, Emory, Vandy, and OSU.
Overall: this is a fantastic research-oriented program is very cool city.

As a resident at Wash U, I feel compelled to correct the prior impression that "many residents had a story or two about somebody they knew who had been murdered/mugged/raped." This is just ridiculous and simply not true. I am a female resident who grew up in a small town, and I have always felt safe in St. Louis.

Congrats to everyone on the match and enjoy your residency!

Anonymous Reviews

Jax:

I actually really liked this program. Dinner the night before at one of the residents' apartment was very low key, a good opportunity to break the ice and just ask questions about the program, everyone was very candid about strengths and weaknesses. It's a small program of 4 residents total, it seems that in the past double coverage was a bit of a problem due to some of their faculty working part time and some faculty leaving the department but they are currently at 6 faculty members (and stable) of which 2 are part time and residents now only cover one attending at a time so this appears to be a thing of the past. Residents do most of their rotations at Mayo Jax but spend 1 month at Wash U St. Louis to get tandem and ovoid exposure for cervix (they see enough vaginal cuff for EC at Mayo though) and they rotate through the proton center in Jax for their peds experience (which is also nice to get some proton experience). They also do a private practice rotation which the residents speak positively of, and see prostate brachy in that experience, though this is admittedly one of the areas that the program is a bit weaker in (it doesn't really matter too much to me). Since it is a small program residents do have to take call every 3 weeks which is a bit of a bummer, and they only have 15 days vacation per year (3 weeks) which is what it is. As far as research opportunities, it's obviously not an academic powerhouse but residents get up to 6 months research and everyone gets some abstracts/papers out by completion of residency, beyond that I think it is dependent on your motivation and I definitely think the resources are there if you want to get more done (i.e. it is what you make of it). They've been around for about 7 years so not that many graduates, people have landed in a mix of private practice and academics (though 2 of those that stayed in academics stayed at Mayo). The facilities at the hospital and the department in general are very nice, they're working on upgrading all of their LINACs to trubeams (currently 1 of 3 is trubeam). The program director and department as a whole seemed very receptive to change and I think has been making changes for the better which is a nice thing to see. The built in TY seemed pretty cush with great facilities. The residents and attendings all seem to get along well, they were all joking around with each other throughout the day. The interview day was 8 20 minute interviews back to back and they were all very relaxed and enjoyable, no ridiculous questions or malignancy. It was my first interview and I have to say that while it is far from the most prestigious place I'm interviewing at it is somewhere I would be incredibly happy to match at.

UTHSCSA:

Some of the nicest people I met on the trail. Total of 6 residents, 2 per year and they skip a year every 4. The Chairman was really friendly, the program director was a bit more business but nice enough, and the rest of the faculty were also very pleasant. As far as clinical training goes, the program sees a good amount of everything including a lot of very advanced pathology due to its large indigent/immigrant population. They also have a VA that they staff and see plenty of bread and butter cases. Their residents don't need to rotate out for anything though they do admittedly not see very much prostate brachy. They do 2 month rotations and rotate through each site every year. Calls are pretty easy since they are an outpatient center and really don't do many inpatient consults. There are a total of about 8 months of "electives," including a month of dosimetry and really however many months of research you want as long as you have a set plan/project. As far as research goes, it's definitely encouraged and it's certainly there if you seek it. A lot of physics/dosimetry research if that's an interest. There is a basic science lab though none of the residents really do basic science research. Since it's part of the UT system residents are able to very easily rotate through MDAnderson. The didactics seem pretty standard. The residents did feel the physics lectures were really good. In brief, I think that this program has an excellent clinical experience and the research is definitely there if you want it. The residents' one major complaint was that it can be very difficult to get patient records and they sometimes need to spend a bit more time on that than they would like. As for San Antonio as a city, it's a pretty average place. Cost of living is low, traffic is reasonable, people are friendly, food is great, but I can see it getting a bit stale. Thankfully though, it's smack in between dallas and houston and only about an hour away from Austin so there's plenty to do nearby. I think it's a great city if you're married or in a relationship. Overall I really liked the program as a whole, my only reservation was the city, but I would be ecstatic to match there.

Kaiser

Very strong clinical program in LA with opportunities for both physics and rad/bio research if you're interested. The residents were all great and seemed genuinely happy, which I was a bit surprised about given how busy I thought they'd be. They see a lot of patients, on the order of 750 logged cases (ACGME requires 450). They don't really have any disease site specificity and are basically seeing different types of patients every half day (there are "pseudo blocks" like H&N in which you'll be scheduled to see a bit more head and neck than other stuff). Residents say it is pretty tough at first but by about 6 months in you get more comfortable and in the long run I definitely think it's a better way of learning and it definitely prepares you very well for private practice. ~12 months of electives of which 4 or so are taken up by mandatory electives which are pretty chill (path, rads, heme/onc, etc). Senior residents do a "senior clinic" in which they basically staff that clinic as a pseudo-attending (someone signs off on the plans and stuff after the fact but they do all the work/make the decisions). Because of the way their schedules work they don't really have a whole lot of continuity with patients. They may do the consult, someone else does the sim, and another person does the follow ups or on treats because they're all doing different things every half day. Very stable place and graduates are looked upon very favorably for private practice jobs because the clinical training is so good. Call didn't seem bad, since it's such a big group and they cover all of the kaiser facilities if problems arise in other geographical locations it's usually an attending in that area who will go see it. Residents become a bit of an answering service but it's better than going in for treatments. Since it's part of the kaiser system it's a pretty well run place and so there's minimal scut in terms of getting patient records and such (largely because it's readily available). Good institutional funding for conferences if presenting. No protons but all the other necessary toys. Overall a place I really liked, probably more so than USC, but the interview was a 4 person panel that just seemed very disinterested/disengaged and were very poker faced throughout the whole thing (got grilled about very minor details in my research, asked kind of oddly phrased questions). They also kind of made me feel stupid for asking questions and were just not very pleasant to interview with which was a similar vibe I got from other applicants and left a VERY sour taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it me or does it seem much more quiet this year?

Wow this thread is surprisingly quiet considering the flood gates are usually wide open by now. Don't forget you can PM Gfunk for anonymous posting!

I'll start. First I am going to prioritze places that did not get reviewed last year or where I think I'll add something that is different from recent reviews. Second, obviously my opinions are colored by my own biases and priorities, which are: I am interested in pursuing an academic career after residency in a position where I can produce original, more clinically oriented research, and I will not (at least for now) be bringing a family with me to residency.

Albert Einstein

Location: The Bronx is what it is. There is very cheap ($700/month) housing readily available across the street from the hospital. Many people get a studio but also have a second home elsewhere (Brooklyn etc) because commuting, especially PGY-2, per report is a major drag. Most (all?) of the residents have cars. Upside of the location as opposed to the rest of NYC is that they are the main game in town and there is plenty of exposure to advanced disease.

Facilities/Technology: In keeping with New York, the hospital/buildings are pretty drab on the outside, but they are nicer inside—probably not any nicer than most cancer centers but adequate. I didn’t count linacs/trubeams/etc and will not be commenting on that in any of my reviews. SRS is done on the linacs

Research: There is a 3 month elective block. For 6 months you are on the service of an 80/20 attending, but it sounds like that with only 2 half sessions a week (an afternoon and a morning I think?) you have time to work, so if you combine that with your elective block you get 9 months for research

Faculty: So one of the interviews is all about asking these logic questions. Otherwise they are pretty standard. Each interview with 2 faculty. The physics faculty asked really tough questions about my (admittedly physics related research). The interviews are relatively short and I did not get too much of a feel for faculty beyond this.

Residents: There was a pre-interview event with appetizers at a fusion restaurant. Seemed cool enough. 1 female resident, and the applicants were vastly male as well. A lot of the residents go on to academia in the kind of jobs that I’d be interested in (junior faculty at academic institutions with support for research). This year they are taking 3, but it’s a 3-3-0-1 model for the whole program. I think next year it will be 1.

Teaching/Education: Radbio at Mt Sinai (all the New York programs apparently do this), daily didactics for an hr Tuesday to Friday, shared guest lectures with all NYC programs. 1500/yr book stipend. PGY-4 and PGY-5 get 1 day a week as “academic day”. 3 month rotations with one attending who treats 2 disease sites so you see each site twice.

Work: It sounded like a really busy program. This was stressed repeatedly by both faculty and residents. The reasons for this were very unclear, but I got the sense that there may be diminished ancillary support.

Overall Impression: Seemed like a a very busy program with solid, respected clinical experience with good research opportunities.

Case

Location: I came with an open mind for Cleveland and it did not seem terrible, but also not terribly exciting. The “downtown” area is extremely limited and I was underwhelmed by the food scene. The cancer center itself is right on the Case Western campus.

Facilities/Technology: Nice cancer center. Very new. Technically in the basement I believe but lots of windows and natural light. Strong brachytherapy program, particularly prostate brachytherapy. Apparently they have every conceivable type of technology (GammaKnife, CyberKnife, etc) but can’t give more details on that.

Research: New chair wants this to be bigger and is interested in aggressively recruiting folks with an interest in research which you can see reflected more in the younger residents. A 6 month contiguous block that is set to occur in PGY-2 though I’m sure if you talked to the PD she’d be open to doing it later.

Faculty: I really liked the faculty. They seemed friendly and open and were honest about all the recent changes to the program, all of which seemed for the better. The physics program seems like a bit of a weakness here and that it did not seem very developed but the physics faculty I spoke with is aiming to change that as well.

Residents: There was a pre-interview dinner at a casual restaurant. Residents are a heterogeneous group. Seemed nice enough. I think the program is about 6 or 7 residents but they were only taking 1 this year, and with over 20 applicants did not get to know them very well/ deeply.

Work: This program is not at all malignant and seems very chill. No concerns about overly low volume at all.

Overall impression: This program may have struggled in the past but with the new Chair, faculty seem excited about the new direction. The new cancer center and comments from speaking with the PD lead me to believe that the institution is invested in the cancer center and in the department specifically. One would think that would all trickle down to the residency program.

Cornell

Location: For me this is a positive. Located in the center of Manhattan (across the street from Sloan Kettering). Subsidized housing that seems really easy to get that is physically connected to the hospital. A substantial portion of the program is in Queens, and unfortunately interviewees do not get exposure to the Queens location which from my limited understanding is more of an underserved community. You can tailor your curriculum to get more or less time in Queens, but most residents opt for less time.

Facilities/Technology: One thing that struck me is how small the space is, but I think that’s just a New York thing.

Research: If you are interested in research the program will support you, and if you are not interested in research the program will support you. Having said that, there is about a year of elective time that can be used for research. Those who do not want to do research can do electives at other places. It is very common for people to conduct research outside the department or even outside the institution (like I said, Sloan is across the street and Cornell also has a relationship with Rockefeller) and it sounds like the faculty are amazingly supportive of that. There is a possibility of being pulled to crosscover the Chair on your research year if his midlevel is off, but otherwise the Research year seems protected. The program will pay for statistics support for resident projects.

Faculty: I think these were the shortest interviews I had. It’s only a half day interview. From my superficial interactions with the faculty they all seemed very pleasant and interested in resident education. They share a chair with Columbia (Columbia and Cornell share the same hospital system). My interview with him was exceptionally short and awkward. There was a lot of talk about a merger with Columbia, which was always portrayed as imminent (though how imminent is imminent I don't know) and couched with reassurances that this could only be positive. Program Director seems very committed to the program and helping residents achieve excellence

Residents: Pre-interview dinner at some type of Middle Eastern (Turkish?) restaurant. Very international crew with people literally from all over the world. There are 6, they were taking 1 this year. They seemed very down to earth and likable and I could imagine getting along well with them. Most with ties to NYC.

Teaching/Education: Multiple residents have done international rotations. Joint radbio with Sinai

Work: I got no whiff of malignancy from them and no concerns about low volume. For peds you need to rotate at Sloan for your numbers. There is an option to rotate at Columbia but only one resident has done that. Residents don’t crosscover for each other but do cover the Chair’s NP if she is absent.

Overall impression: Residents seemed very happy with the program and their support from faculty mentors.

Fox Chase

Location: In Philadelphia, but near the boundary close to Philadelphia suburbs. Most of the residents actually live in the suburbs (most are married) which are cheaper. Fox Chse is a very doable 30 minute drive from Center City/downtown. Philadephia is an awesome city, IMHO—great sports town, tons of bars/nightlife, and great place for foodies.

Facilities/Technology: Fox Chase has an affiliation with Temple that has recently gotten a lot stronger (the details of this are unclear to me, seems like Temple Health has bought them) but from a resident perspective it doesn’t seem like there will be any notable changes. There was some chatter about financial issues with the Cancer Center that may have brought this on but I think that there is now stability with the Cancer Center. Fox Chase is only a cancer center, so there are fellows but rad oncs are the only residents. It’s a beautiful expansive complex. Everything is nice and new. Excellent brachy, Penn residents rotate here for brachy exposure. Optional rotation in suburbs that almost everyone does where you get CyberKnife exposure

Research: There is a guaranteed contiguous research year in PGY-4 that is protected except for call (though you can do as little as 6 months). Seems like all the residents do retrospective clinical projects or spend a year in the lab (I think even the labs here are nice). PGY3 and PGY4 go to ASTRO if a poster, PGY 5 no matter what. PGY-2s get sent to the NCCN conference in Miami instead :) Something unique that they stressed is that they have databases run by dedicated coordinators that make it very easy for residents to quickly publish retrospective reports.

Faculty: Interviews are conducted with 2 faculty at a time. Everyone here was very nice and likable, but the Chair is especially likable. They seemed like they would be very pleasant to work for.

Residents: Match 2 per year. Pre-interview dinner was held at an excellent higher end restaurant in Center City in a BYOB (Bring Your Own Beverage). Residents brought great wines. Most of the residents are married, but they still seemed very social considering that and like they were people I’d get along with well. This was the only place on the trail where we played video games in the break room in between interviews.

Teaching/Education: Residents lead conference 2x/week focused on most salient literature. Videoconference into Penn radbio. Annual mock oral. Currently rotate at Penn for peds, though that may change.

Work: This place seems to have very high volume in terms of residents’ simulation numbers (I forget the numbers I was quoted but they were very high) while at the same time being extremely reasonable workload-wise because of tremendous ancillary support. Every faculty member has a designated nurse who takes care of a lot of scut. As I said before it’s only a cancer hospital so there is no ED & call is very light (the senior resident I spoke to had never come in in the middle of the night).

Overall impression: May not be a research powerhouse but I really liked the people at this program and the supportive environment they help create.

Last edited:
NYU

Location: Again, it’s Manhattan. How can this not be positive? Subsidized housing connected to the hospital at about $1700/month.

Facilities/Technology: Post-Sandy they have definitely lost a lot of clinic space. However, the part of the cancer center we did get to see is very nice. NYU attendings are getting credentialed at a proton center in Jersey and residents on the peds rotation now have the opportunity to go along with the attending on days that there are sims or other interesting cases.

Research: Guaranteed research year which you have the opportunity to break up into blocks. Chair is apparently very supportive and has helped many residents win competitive grants. Has well established breast database and has guided residents in choosing research projects that have been very productive.

Faculty: Everyone was very nice and really worked hard to sell their program. I was convinced :)

Residents: One of my favorite groups that I encountered on the trail. Had a pre-interview wine and appetizer reception at a restaurant that felt totally Manhattan

Work: Seemed like a reasonable workload—supposed to have excellent support staff, probably better than other NYC programs I saw. Broad clinical exposure in all sites. Bellevue population brings unique patient population, including a lot of gyn. .Residents do not crosscover each other

Overall impression: Definitely a great program with committed faculty and very happy residents.

University of Washington

Location: Seattle is an interesting town. Very clean, very casual vibe, kind of grey/rainy more than half the year, high cost of living. University of Washington is in its own kind of fratty area and pretty much everyone lives in nicer neighborhoods in Seattle and drives <10 minutes to work.

Facilities/Technology: The old facilities are fine, on par with everywhere else. There are two main sites where residents rotate, SCCA and University of Washington. They are right near each other (supershort drive away) and when you are at one site you stay at that site and would never have to drive between sites in the middle of the day (there is one rotation that is an exception because the GammaKnife is at a 3rd hospital). You videoconference the didactics. The proton center is GORGEOUS. Right now no residents work there because of basically bureaucratic issues, but by the time this class of residents starts that will be resolved. Whether it will be a proton rotation or residents will follow their attending to the proton center when they are on that attending’s service is yet to be determined. The proton center has a really wide cachement area so they seem really busy and are talking about adding a second shift to the machine.

Research: there is a 6 month guaranteed research block and you have the option to extend it to up to a year if you can find your own funding for the year. The program seems really flexible with options to do your year elsewhere if desired, and with flexibility to avoid taking call during third year if desired.

Faculty: Brand new Chair (been there since early fall) who the residents didn’t really know. Time will tell what mark she will make on the department. Program Director is relatively new (been there for about 2 years) but well liked by all accounts. Very personable woman. Actively discouraged post-interview communication. Residents here had particularly high praise for faculty mentorship in general

Residents: Very casual pre-interview meet up (at a bar I think?), followed by post-interview reception with faculty. 3 a year. Almost none from Pacific Northwest. Very cohesive group that socializes together, seem very happy with the program. Pretty much everyone has some kind of interest in outdoor activities (probably why they matched here).

Teaching/Education: 2 month rotations that are usually with one attending.

Work: Definitely seems like they work harder than at most of the programs I saw, but residents seem very happy with their experience

Overall impression: A great program with excellent clinical training

Penn

Location: On the border of West Philadelphia, across the bridge (walking distance) from Center City/downtown Philly. I think all the residents live in and around Center City. There is a VA next door and the satellite that has residents is about 2 miles away in downtown itself

Facilities/Technology: Yet another beautiful cancer center. + protons. Cyberknife and GammaKnife at the Center City satellite. Limited prostate brachytherapy now, brachy of all kinds will increase with hiring of new attending this July (no longer sent to Fox Chase)

Research: Recently changed to allow for contiguous research/elective year. Decide for continuous year or broken up year once you begin the residency. Unclear if every person who wants a contiguous year will/can get one but seems likely. Department funds residents to go to conferences at which they have posters. The funding limits are very high and increase with seniority.

Faculty: Residents seem to have a great relationship with the faculty, on a first name basis with all of them. Lots of great potential mentors of all levels of seniority. Everyone loves Steve Hahn (the Chair), and for good reason—very charismatic and committed to helping residents follow their academic interests. Faculty regularly attend Friday morning didactics and seem to all play very active role in teaching.

Residents: Probably my favorite group—a very cohesive group. All come together for didactics/chart rounds on Friday. Now expanding to 16 residents (4 per year).

Teaching/Education: Friday is education day with morning didactics and afternoon chart rounds. Mock oral with attending at end of each rotation. Option for elective in Botswana that is funded by department. Opportunity for free master’s in clinical research.

Work: Seems like increased workload over other programs I interviewed at but residents stressed many recent changes which had improved workload, including the fact that attendings had agreed to not always have to be covered and the fact that all rotations but one are 1:1 (one rotation is split with Chair and other faculty member). Residents are not pulled to crosscover each other if someone is absent. There is a midlevel who helps with daytime consults. It is a categorical program only—intern year schedule seems manageable in the context of academic prelims, but wards are definitely challenging

Overall impression: Definitely a top program with excellent research opportunities that produces very happy, well-adjusted residents.

Last edited:
I'll join the party. My reviews are going to be decidedly less involved, my apologies.
Edit: My initial Penn review wasn't very helpful, I've added some details.

UTSW
Much like Kip Dynamite, Dr. Choy loves technology. Beautiful facilities, and whatever tech they don't have now, they will have soon. Dr. Choy has big plans, and it seems like the wheels are in motion. 6-12 months of research (12 if bench), usually cover 1 attending at a time, residents typically get an academic day, and there is no cross-covering. All the faculty were very nice during the interview day, but when pressed, some of the residents admitted that there are some personalities that can be difficult to interact with. Still, most of the residents seemed happy with their choice and all of them were definitely happy with their training. Bottom line: good program that will likely get better with continued expansion, but some abrasive personalities may be a concern.

Stanford
This one's a toughie. I like California, I love Palo Alto, and having Stanford on your resume can't be a bad thing. But I'd heard the stories of scut and overworked residents, so I went in skeptical. The facilities are great, for tech they have pretty much everything but protons. The Varian connection is a positive thing, I think, and they recently hired a prostate monster that should really beef up the brachy training. Everyone was really nice, Dr. Chang and Dr. Le (PD & chair) are great, nice, accomplished people. Some of the previous scut problems have apparently significantly improved with Dr. Chang taking over. 11 months research/electives, usually at least 1 academic day per week, cover 1-2 attendings at a time (only cover multiple attendings when each isn't in the clinic much), but residents do provide 100% coverage (do have to cross-cover). Hours apparently vary widely from service to service, but can get pretty intense. Unfortunately, from what I understand, there are still problems with how residents are treated by a couple of the faculty. Bottom line: great training, fantastic research opportunities, big name, beautiful location, many fantastic attendings, but, again, some abrasive personalities may be a concern.

Penn
We've all heard it: beautiful cancer center and radonc department, all the tech you can handle (they are beefing up their brachy with a near-future hire), residents treated really well, Dr. Hahn is indeed "the man," etc. Residents get 12 months of research/elective time which you can take together or in chunks. Residents cover 1 faculty member at a time, not all attendings are covered, and residents don't cross-cover. I don't remember specifics, but the hours seemed to be pretty reasonable. You can go to Botswana for ~2 wks, which sounded pretty cool. There is lots of travel money available, even if you're not presenting. The call schedule is staggered by year (5 wks in first year, 4 wks, 3 wks, and 1 wk), and an NP helps with many of the inpatient consults. Didactics are mostly faculty-led and are held Thursday at 7am an all Friday morning
The wild-card here is the PGY1 year. Apparently the current residents recently voted to keep it but I really wish they wouldn't have. Even if you think doing an academic medicine year is a good thing (I do), there are plenty of "legitimate" reasons for wanting to do your internship somewhere else. And unfortunately, I do have a strong reason to be somewhere else next year. If it weren't for the intern year, I would have ranked Penn 1 or 2, but as it is, it ended up significantly lower. I wanted to post this because many interviewees I met felt the same way, but no one would ever say that during an interview. Bottom line: one of my favorite programs from the interview trail with great training and happy residents, but the built-in PGY1 may be a negative.

MSK
I don't have a lot to say about MSK. It's a great place: big names everywhere, high quality of life on the UES, 12 months research, etc. I do want to comment that I thought the reputation for overworked residents is a little overblown. They definitely see a ton of patients, and I'm sure the hours are longer than most, but I pressed the residents pretty hard for specifics of the day-to-day, and I felt like it's not that much different than other busy programs. The residents seemed happy with their training and quality of life, and the seniors I met seemed really happy with their job opportunities. The faculty were remarkably down-to-Earth considering their notoriety, and I felt like it was a really positive working/training environment. Bottom line: great program with unparalleled clinical training and extensive research opportunities that is busy but not unreasonable.

Ok, I need a break, I'll add some more impressions later.

Last edited:
I'll try to provide some reviews of the lesser reviewed programs also. Here's one to start:

University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Interview Day:

I was completely blown away by how impressed I was with this program. I have no idea why it hasn’t received more reviews on this forum. The interview day was a great day – well run, well organized and everyone was very warm and welcoming. The way the interview day was run gave me the impression that the program ran like a well-oiled machine. Residents all seemed really happy and enthusiastic, and the faculty was great. The program is expanding to 8 residents next year - they are taking two in the match per year now, and were taking an additional PGY2 this year.

Research:
There are a few well-known senior faculty members (Marks, Tepper, etc) but also a group of young faculty members from places like Harvard and Duke who were very academically inclined and incredibly enthusiastic about their research ideas. There are three days in clinic, two research days per week. Great research resources in Lineberger, and in the school of public health. They have done some big things with the breast TCGA and have a GI SPORE and a breast SPORE. I really got the impression that whatever your research interests you could find it somewhere at UNC – the institution itself is a powerhouse even outside of the department and these opportunities seemed available to rad onc residents. And here’s the kicker on top of that: research is being expanded to a year of research time per resident with the expansion.

Lifestyle:
It seems like a very family friendly program – many residents with kids and a good area to live in, with good schools. I will just make a comment – there are zero female residents and only ONE female faculty member –who is also the PD. They made a point that this wasn’t purposeful, and there wasn’t anything non-female friendly about the program, but I will say there were plenty of programs (even small ones) with more diversity in the resident/ faculty pool.

Clinical:
UNC takes care of indigent patients and VIP patients and everything in between. Plenty of volume – expanding to 8 residents next year, but they still have 9 faculty members. Apparently head and neck is very strong here, thoracic may be a little weaker because surgeons are very aggressive. With the expansion, residents will do one community rotation at Rex Hospital ~ 30 minutes outside the city to get an idea of what private practice might be like. Multi-disciplinary conferences in nearly every cancer site – rad oncs are well respected by other disciplines and other researchers – “we’re treated like fellows here” said one resident. Brand new beautiful cancer hospital built in 2009 – inpatients are all here so no tromping across campus.

Didactics:
I can’t remember too many specifics here – but I did meet the radiobiologist who was fantastic – she teaches courses for residents at many other institutions and has taught for years. Her purpose here is to educate residents and it sounds like she does a great job. No one has ever failed boards – radbio, physics or clinical.

Bottom Line:
This is a program on the rise, well balanced with regards to resident lifestyle and excellent clinical training, and they are taking research seriously (both basic, translational and clinical). Not to mention Chapel Hill/ Durham is a great place to live.

3rd year here, love reading these. You guys are all superstars and are inspiring.

I'd love to hear any new impressions people have about the following places:

Ohio State
UPitt
Northwestern
Cleveland Clinic
OHSU
Wake Forest

3rd year here, love reading these. You guys are all superstars and are inspiring.

Ohio State
UPitt
Northwestern
Cleveland Clinic
OHSU
Wake Forest

I can chime in about Ohio State, the others didn't want to interview me (sadface.jpg).

I was pretty impressed with the current state of the program as well as its trajectory. The department is expanding and will be moving into what will be a beautiful new cancer center. They've added some pretty impressive research and clinical faculty. As far as tech, I think they have everything but protons. 12 months of research/electives, residents cover one attending at a time, no cross-covering, residents generally get an academic day, and average hours are about 7-8 to 5-6. The residents seemed like a happy and fun bunch who spoke very highly of their training and quality of life. There was some concern voiced about the circumstances of the previous PD's exit, but as awful as that was, the new PD (Dr. Wuthrick) is a great guy and seems capable of nurturing the program in the face of the department's rapid expansion. The chair (Dr. Chakravarti) seemed like an inspirational leader as well. Bottom line: Very good program that will continue to improve. Good clinical training, lots of research opportunities, and high quality of life. My opinion is that the current "name recognition" probably lags behind the actually quality of the program.

The only 'negatives' about Ohio State for me are the location in theory, but Columbus is actually a lot better than I expected, and I was surprised to find out it's like the 13th biggest city in the country or something. Also the fact that the name recognition isn't quite caught up to the program quality yet, but I think it is getting there.

Even at other interview days, the word among people who had interviewed there was very positive. They put on a good interview day.

I'm sure there are some other negatives that other people noticed.

Here you go...

Cleveland Clinic: 12 residents total, taking 2 this year. Residents are on 2 month rotations with one attending, with no cross covering. Dedicated didactic time every morning from 8-9am which is mostly a pimping session but not malignant at all. The faculty seemed very dedicated to the education of the residents. I thought that was very impressive. The residents are definitely busy (more so than a lot of the other programs I visited) but did not seemed overwhelmed with their workload. All of them were very very happy with their training. The PD and Chair are very dedicated to the residents which I thought was great. All the faculty that interviewed seemed very easy to talk to and relatively easy going. The hospital is AMAZING and a new cancer center is in the process of being built but it will not be up and running for a good 5-7 years. As far as technology, I think they have everything except for protons. Research is abundant but mostly clinical. You get 9 months of research time during your PGY-4 year . I did not inquire much about basic science work since I am more interested in clinical research but I assume finding basic science research opportunities at CCF cannot be too hard to find. I honestly the only down side of this program would be location (although that is very subjective). Cleveland is an ok city but very cold. Most residents said they were skeptical about living in Cleveland as well but were pleasantly surprised about the entertainment available in the city and the cost of living is low.

Overall: This is a fantastic program that will provide you with great clinical training and abundant opportunities for research with the support and mentorship needed to go into academics if you so choose. Very intense academic environment with longer hours than most programs and preparing for morning conference daily may be a deterrent for some but overall I think you would leave CCF an outstanding clinician.

University of Florida: 8 residents, taking 2 this year. Residents are on 3 month rotations with one attending, cross-covering for new consults only. They also spend 6 months in Jacksonville at the proton center. Although it sucks that the proton center is 1 and 1/2 hrs away from Gainesville, the program provides a really nice condo for you to stay in during your rotation there and its right near the beach! I believe didactics are several times a week but I don't remember exactly. The residents meet all of their numbers and see more peds cases than almost any other program but they are def not overworked. As per the residents, the work day is from 8-5 and patients are rarely treated on weekends and they all seem very happy with their training. 6 months for research/electives given to residents which are very flexible with respect to what you want to do with them. Abundant clinical research available and long-standing databases which are always a plus. I did not ask about basic science research but with Dr. Okuneiff as chair and considering the last 3/4 residents who matched at UF are MD/PhDs, I assume the opportunity is there. The faculty here are probably the nicest and most easy going I met on the trail and the residents socialize with the faculty outside of the hospital regularly. The PD, Dr. Amdur is great and very supportive of his residents. The residents also mentioned that a great benefit of UF is that it's historical significance (50 yrs since the dept opened) and alumni network which def helps with great job placement. Recent grads got academic jobs at places such as Stanford, Fox Chase, and UNC but the program is supportive if you want to go into private practice as well. Gainesville is a very affordable college town, which can be good or bad depending on who you talk to.

Overall: Great program that again would provide you with fantastic clinical training and the resources to have a great foundation in academics if you so choose. Between the solid clinical training, family like environment of the department, proton exposure, abundant clinical research, good life/work balance, and great job placement, I thought this was a very impressive program. Location would be its only fault in my opinion.

Impressions to be continued...

UC San Diego

Location: San Diego is hands down the most beautiful city in the country! It’s a sunny, 65-85 degrees year-round. If you like being outside, SD is the place to be. SD is composed of several neighborhoods that can suit anyone’s particular style (i.e. hipster, prep, beach bum, city-type, etc.). The campus itself is located less than 10 minutes from the beach in the lovely city of La Jolla (one of the ritzier cities in the country) and is adjacent to the undergrad and med school campus as well as the VA Hospital.

Facilities: The Moores Cancer Center itself is relatively new (built in the mid-2000s, I think). The department is primarily located on the first-floor (above ground!), but they have a second, stand-alone building (also above ground! designed by Dr. Mundt himself) that has more office space, patient rooms and treatment machines. They also have a few satellite offices in North County and South Bay (that offer more of a private-practice experience). And now they have the brand new proton center that just opened. So, beautiful city, beautiful facilities.

Technology: In terms of technology, UCSD also has everything you could want. They have a PET/CT and MR scanners, a TrueBeam for IMRT, IGRT and SRS, a brachytherapy suite, and I think, between all of the sites, they have about 8 linacs and now they have protons. Down in their South Bay office, they also have a Xoft for skin cancers (that are pretty common in SD with all that sunshine).

Research: I think everyone gets 12 months of dedicated research if they want it, but it seemed like most of the residents were involved in research while still performing clinic duties. One of the residents even opened his own clinical trial. They have clinical, basic science and translational research opportunities available. At the interview, Dr. Mundt said that there were also opportunities to collaborate with medical physics, UCSD’s bioengineering department and local biotech companies.

Faculty: Dr. Mundt recruited an all-star faculty with some of the biggest names in Gyn (in addition Mundt himself, Mell and Yashar). Several young, energetic faculty members that are interested in teaching and pushing the field forward. A couple of faculty members are a little… intense, but on the whole, everyone (the vast majority, including Dr. Mundt) was very friendly and approachable. The overall atmosphere is very collaborative and energetic, they seem like they work really hard, they love their work, but they also enjoy their free time.

Residents: Awesome residents. Some of the nicest, smartest, most down-to-earth/normal residents that I’ve met. Right now, they’re taking 2 per year, so the group is a good size at 8. They have pretty good diversity with a military resident, PhD, and an MBA, but 7 of the 8 residents are male and 3 of the 8 will be UCSD med school grads (so a little less diverse in that respect).

Teaching/Education: 3-month long, site-based rotations. Post-rotation mock orals and exam. Most didactics are taught by faculty and are attended by Dr. Mundt himself. They have the usual case conferences, rad bio and physics lectures. In addition to all the normal rad-bio, physics and case conferences, they also have Spanish (very important for CA residents), biostats and business classes. Dr. Mundt also said that they have some international opportunities and partnerships with institutions in different countries that are available for the more senior residents.

Work: The residents are definitely very busy between prepping patients, seeing patients and attending didactics/tumor boards/conferences. The faculty to resident ratio is usually 1:1, with some faculty operating without a resident at certain points.

Overall impression: UCSD is a relatively young program, but it’s definitely on the fast track to the top. I think the moral of the story is to trust in Dr. Mundt - he’s invested, he has a vision, he’s committed to the future of the program and he knows exactly what he’s doing. Excellent training in an amazing location - you can't beat it.

Ohio State

Location: Let me preface by saying, I’m a California native (so, like most Californians, convincing me to leave the state is an obstacle in itself, haha). I have to say, however, I was VERY (pleasantly) surprised by Columbus. It’s definitely a Midwest, college town (Buckeyes = life), but there’s a huge young-professional scene with the law school, med school and business school all in the same area. There’s a pretty cool area (the Short North) full of art galleries, coffee shops, bars and music venues. The downtown area is pretty small, but there’s a “Brewer’s district” and several small micro/craft breweries are popping up (if you’re into that). Aside from the freezing winters, Columbus seems like a pretty cool and affordable place to be.

Facilities: The department right now is in the basement of the James Cancer Center, BUT they just built a brand-new cancer hospital (opening this year!) and the radonc department is going to be on the SECOND floor! (crazy, right?!). In addition to the new hospital, they have another beautiful, stand-alone site (the Stephanie Spielman Breast Cancer Center, ~1.5 miles from the James) that deals almost exclusively with breast cancer.

Technology: Right now, they have 2 CT sims, 4 Linacs at the main center and 2 TrueBeams at the breast center, gamma knife SRS, brachytherapy (permanent, interstitial, IORT), and US hyperthermia. With the new expansion, they’re planning on having like 7 (!), brand-new treatment vaults and an MR sim for gyn procedures. I forgot if they were getting a PET sim… and there were definitely whispers of protons in the future during the interview.

Research: They offer 12 months of dedicated research divided into 3-month blocks over PGY3-5 years, but most residents are involved in little side research projects at all times. They even have a Holmann pathway resident (!). The OSUCCC recently received a huge ($23 million) grant from the NCI for research and education. With big names like Dr. White (Breast, clinical) and Dr. Chakravarti (CNS, basic) and several newer faculty (like Williams and Wuthrick), OSU has an awesome combination of experience, energy and momentum when it comes to clinical, basic science and translational research. The physics department is also very strong.

Faculty: Like I mentioned before, big names, several young faculty and 5 new attendings that just started – all makes for an interesting dynamic. The younger faculty are very enthusiastic about teaching and you can tell that they’re committed to passing their knowledge on and producing excellent residents.

Residents: All are really friendly and smart. I definitely got a good vibe from everyone that I met. It’s one of the larger programs with ~10 residents. Most have some sort of tie to Ohio and some have young families.

Teaching/Education: OSU definitely has the volume, the depth and the breadth of patient experience that we’re all looking for in a training program. The clinical, radiobiology and physics didactics were some of the strongest that I’ve seen (and I rotated through a bunch programs). According to the interview, the residents consistently score in the upper percentiles on both the in-service and Raphex exams. Also of note, at the interview, there was talk of potentially offering an option for a concurrent MBA

Work: The residents are VERY busy. There are way more faculty than residents and the ratio is usually 1:1 with a few exceptions. Most faculty are used to operating on their own.

Overall impression: Honestly, I was blown away by OSU. It’s a monster program that is still relatively under the radar. BUT, based on several people that I’ve met along the trail, the word’s getting out and people are starting to catch on. It’s a fresh and exciting time for OSU and I expect that nothing but excellent things will come from OSU in the near future.

Ohio State
UPitt
Northwestern
Cleveland Clinic
OHSU
Wake Forest

Ask and you shall receive, well, one of them at least.

OHSU
For some reason a lot of the specifics are escaping my memory, but I can share what was important to me. If I'm wrong about anything I hope someone can correct me.
Location: Portland is a pretty neat place, a little too self-aware of its hippness, but fun nonetheless.

Facilities: The hospital is unreal, the setting and buildings are just breath-taking. And with Phil Knight paying the tab, the cancer center seems to be doing well financially. For machines, I believe they have 3 or 4 linacs and 1 tomo. No protons or brachy on site (I think?), although if I remember correctly, I think you can do a brachy rotation in the community (if I'm wrong about this please forgive me!).
Research: Dr. Thomas is very supportive of resident research and the Holman pathway. There are lots of basic science labs around OHSU at residents' disposal.
Faculty: It's a small department with, I think, 5 faculty members. They all seemed really nice and like they would be great teachers.

Residents: Seemed like a tight-knit and fun group. It's a fairly small program, so there's a lot of time spent together. They all seemed happy with their choice in residency.

Teaching: I honestly don't remember, this usually wasn't something I was super interested in on interviews.

Work: OHSU has a reputation for being busy, and yes there was a duty hours violation a few years ago. From my understanding, however, changes have been made in recent years to lighten the resident work-load somewhat. I believe residents are still busy but not excessively so.

Overall: I really liked OHSU, I think it's somewhat of a hidden gem that offers good clinical training and strong research support in a great location. Potential downsides would be the small size, depending on what you're looking for in a residency, and lack of strong brachytherapy training in-house.

Last edited by a moderator:
UNC:

Interview day: Long day, but appropriate breaks in between. Started at 7:15 with a nice breakfast. Quick overview of the program. Observed SIM reviews, which I thought was a great learning experience. They were very vocal about their opinions and seem to be well read on the literature. Dr. Tepper gave a nice overview of UNC, #7 in NIH funding, etc… Then nice overview of physics and radbio. Then the interviews begin. Overall, cordial faculty. Asked what other programs I was interviewing at (violation?), am I going to have children (violation?). Chair actually read my packet and had good questions to ask. Well-run. Really nice dinner the night before with laid back conversation.

PD/Chair: Dr. Jones was incredibly friendly and appeared to have residents interest at heart. Dr. Marks, former Duke PD, was very nice. Mentioned he had some type of prior interaction with car manufacturing workflow and is taking the efficiency protocols from that venue and applying them to the rad onc dept. This seems to be working very nicely. Emphasized efficiency repeatedly. Overall, friendly and seems supportive of resident well-being.

Location/Dept: I have never been to Chapel Hill before, but I liked it. Quaint city with interspersed urbanesque zones. Next to Duke, and NC State, so lots of academia in the region. Residents said cost of living was manageable, but expect Chapel Hill to be more than Durham. School districts are nice in Chapel Hill. UNC is in a nice part of town, did not feel safety was an issue. Nice new NC Cancer center and Comprehensive Cancer Center. Dept in the basement as always, 1 or 2 simulators (can’t remember), all the bells and whistles (3 Linacs, IMRT/IGRT, brachy (LDR/HDR), CT on rails, Calypso, tomo, cyberknife, IORT) and remote access to patient records. Have a MRI-PET, but in different building. Several big name faculty, stable dept, a few with R21/RO1 grants.

Research: Mixed notions about the goal of this program. Some faculty and residents stated there was a push to increase research time to 12 months, but the chair seemed to be taken back by such a suggestion. This aside, the residents have VERY impressive publications, awards, grants, etc.. So, this should not be a limiting factor. There is interest in carbon nanotubes and single cell irradiation techniques (very cool), Dr. Wang has some nice work going on with nanoparticles and biomatrix scaffolds and mets. Have own treatment planning software, so lots of opportunity if wanted to customize. I believe only one resident is involved in basic science work right now. Emphasis on a collaborative environment.

Residents: A great group of guys, yes that is right, I did not see any female residents here. May change, may not. Dr. Marks said they rank women, but the match is the overall predictor. I believe the majority of residents are married, a few have children. I was really impressed with the publication record of these guys. I believe they are approved for 8 residents now.

Workload: I did not get the impression that residents were overworked. They did mention they lost their PA/NP recently, so they have to do a little more scut than usual; this did not seem to be that big of an issue though. Avg. of 5 consults/day on busy service. Mention that they have 100+ on treatment/day.

Didactics: I do not remember the specifics, but seemed standard and high quality. Dr. Zeman teaches rad bio and she is incredibly passionate about it. Physics leader was also passionate about teaching. Tag team with Duke on visiting professors. Participate in onco-anatomy, residents seemed like they enjoyed this experience.

Service structure / coverage: 3 month rotations, some services they do double cover, but said it is still like covering one attending 2/2 to academic days (which they have approx. 2/wk) and personality of attendings. Call q6 wk, but could change with increase in residents. Mult-D clinic, but I believe the residents stay in their dept.

Random details: $2500 education fee and licensing costs given to you. Moonlighting in 4th year, which was mentioned by the chair. Cheap parking ($2/day) w/in 5 min walking distance. Nice café. Get $120/yr for food. Resident workroom was nice, increase in number may make it a bit tighter in space. No post-interview communication, they say they rank you that day and having a running list throughout the interview season.

OVERALL: I was really impressed with UNC. Great location, stable big name faculty, upcoming and engaging younger faculty, collaborative environment, productive residents, outstanding didactics and good technology. Not sure where dedicated research time will be 6 vs. 12 months.

UAB

Location: Birmingham is a larger city than I was expecting. There was some really nice scenery. Residents say there is a nice state park close by with great hiking, gulf is 4 hrs away, Atlanta 2 hrs away. Economy seemed stable.

Facilities/Tech: Very nice radiation oncology dept. I think approx. 3 years old. Very nice resident work room, each have double monitors, can contour on personal computer. I believe they use Varian planning software (probably due to their strong connection with Varian); website is pretty informative about tech. Was told multiple times that they usually get first dibs on new Varian technology. Lab space is directly above clinic, so can be involved with lab even when in clinic (this was actually encouraged by several faculty). Residents work at 2 sites, the satellite is approx. 12 miles away and has a more private practice feel (2 linacs). Mention of protons by chair, other faculty said this has been said for the past 8 years. No construction yet.

Research: Residents said there were 3 Holman pathway residents. One decided to go into private practice, which was not frowned upon by faculty. One resident said that clinical research mentorship is lacking. There is no departmental statistical support or well-established data bases, though one resident has put together a very impressive prostate database. Basic science is strong. Required to do Holman or Clinical research track. Got the feeling that this is a highly collaborative atmosphere.

Faculty: A good mix of senior and junior attendings. I interacted with 2 Holman graduates, each with their own labs and funding. Other non-basic science faculty seemed to also interact with the basic science laboratories. PD seemed very supportive of residents ambitions.

Residents: Nice bunch of guys. Pretty laid back. Most married and with children. Get together about 1/month.

Work: Call q8 weeks, but decreases with seniority. Some didactics start at 7 am. On busy service one residents gets off at 7 pm, but some residents report getting off as early as 3:30. Senior resident mentioned problem getting prostate brachy cases, therefore they have a connection with Puerto Rico that can be utilized if desired. Should be mentioned that they reach their required cases for brachy, but if you want more extensive experience this option exists. 4 month rotations, usually more than one body site/rotation. Rotate at 2 separate locations, but relatively close to each other. Use Dragon for dictation. No NP/PA.

Misc: $3000 education fund, 8 meetings supported/residency. 3 lab coats. Cheap food. Monetary incentives when getting abstract accepted, publishing, etc… Residents moonlight at various facilities (urgent care, weight loss, or rad onc with in 2 hrs). Can easily pocket $1000 in a week. Several tumor boards are held in rad onc department and there appears to be good rapport between other oncologic depts.

Overall Impression: Really really impressed with this program. Dr. Bonner said he is looking to hire more physician-scientists and has the lab space to provide. Comprehensive cancer center, unlimited research opportunities. Great place to start a family. Birmingham??

Ohio State
UPitt
Northwestern
Cleveland Clinic
OHSU
Wake Forest

Here's one for Wake Forest:

Wake Forest

Interview Day:
Pretty standard. Observed chart rounds in the morning, which was a good experience. They probably won the prize for tastiest breakfast. There is a relatively new PD who seems to be trying to shake things up a little bit and increase the profile of the program. Residents said he had encouraged oral boards style didactics and friendly pimping at chart review. The interview day included a tour of Winston- Salem which was a nice touch. Residents go into about 50/50 academic / private practice jobs with a preference for the southeast, with both chiefs going into good PP jobs in the Southeast this year.

Research: 6-9 months research time where residents are encouraged to be in the lab, but residents are incredibly productive. 3/6 residents had oral presentations at ASTRO last year. There is a very cool TRADONC fellowship for translational research, which seems like a great opportunity even for those who don’t train here. There seems to be a good relationship between radbio and physics.

Lifestyle: I was told that the spirit of the program was “high pressure to publish, but laid back otherwise.” I did get a sense that residents work hard here and don’t mess around, which I don’t mind but is worth noting. One attending mentioned working weekends during PGY2 year and most residents seemed to be working 6am-7pm on a regular basis – perhaps partly because contouring from home wasn’t realistic. Winston-salem seemed a lot nicer than what I had heard. There was definitely a fair amount going on for a small town and a lot of great areas within driving distance. Good diversity of residents – male and female, different backgrounds.

Clinical: One of my interviewers was “doc of the day” and took me to check films and see a couple of patients with him – seemed like the residents were really able to manage their patients and got good clinical training. CNS is very strong here, GI has historically been strong. I got the impression that some disease sites may be weaker.

Didactics: They have a great format in place for preparing for oral boards – senior residents help out younger residents in preparing for case presentations and possible pimping questions. The top down format offers senior residents the chance to teach and obviously helps out younger residents.

Bottom Line: A solid (but busy) program with some good translational research opportunities, with the only drawback being only 6-9 months to take advantage of them.

Sorry, at some point I gave up on the formatting.

Here's University of Florida:

I got the impression that this was a very laid back group who were still held to high standards for education and research. Residents get a research project every year, along with the resources to get it done, including someone who writes the IRB or grant, does the statistics, and edits the manuscript. My impression (which may not be correct) was that this was primarily retrospective chart review research, and residents were doing the chart digging. There was one resident doing a translational project but I think he was an MD/ PhD with a significant lab background. Residents are #2 in the country for publications and get good academic jobs. We played Taboo and Wii at the interview day (only place that happened), and had a great time, although it was a VERY long day. Dr. Amdur, the program director, seemed like a really great mentor and resident advocate and went out of his way to talk to us all individually throughout the interview day, lunch and dinner. You spend 6 months in Jax and they rent you a very nice condo. There is a big emphasis on peds at Jacksonville – they have kids come from St Jude’s, the UK, Norway, all over. 6 months research, 1 academic day. Not a place for basic science, but one resident doing a translational project. It seemed like a very strong place for H + N or peds if these are interests.

They have a really well-run (but LONG!) interview day - and offer to have you come shadow in clinic the day before, which was a good experience. They have a dinner with the residents that night and then everyone is out of clinic on the interview day to get to know you. They only had one interview day and made a very concerted effort to meet and get to know everyone. I think this is a reflection of the attitude of the PD and program in general.

Moffitt (Tampa Bay):

Interview day: Really nice dinner the night before w/ great conversation. This is a very laid back group of residents. Interview day was split into 2 sessions. Standard interviews (one on one and others w/ 2 faculty). All my interviews were great, except for one interviewer constantly getting up and leaving during my interview, which also seemed like they did not even look at my application. And during one interview, a faculty member voluntarily said Moffitt was not a ‘top tier’ program, which I can appreciate their honesty, but please let me decide what is beneficial for my training.

PD/Chair: Currently, there is no ‘chair’ at Moffitt; per residents several applicants have come through, but no one has taken a bite at the package offered. Interim chair is nice and very direct, definitely encourages academic pursuits. PD is pretty laid back as well; residents say he is very supportive. Should be noted, that all interviewers stated that not having a permanent chair yet was not a big deal and should not affect resident education.

Location/Dept : Tampa is gorgeous. The waterfront was amazing. I believe 45 min from the beach. Most residents live in South Tampa, I guess the more happening locale. Moffitt is a beautiful cancer center right next to USF; the rad onc dept is pretty large, several linacs, brachy suite, I believe 2 CT simulators, etc.. Per residents, the work room has been revamped and each resident has their own personal work space. Several treatment planning stations, computers, etc.. Also rotate through VA (close by) and UF Proton Therapy Institute.

Research: Research is encouraged. Again, per residents there are some really nice clinical databases. I believe one of the largest published lung SBRT papers came from here. This is a comprehensive cancer center, thus it has all the infrastructure for excellent basic and clinical research. There are several SPORE grants, a working patient database (Total Cancer Cancer), which will be a powerhouse when up and running. I believe there were 2 residents that were Holman.

Residents: 8 total, but one is working on his PhD I believe. As noted above, these were some of the most laid back residents I came across on the trail. Some have put together some impressive publications and from chatting, are diligently working on putting other manuscripts together. Residents seemed VERY happy here.

Workload: They advertise that Moffitt has the 3rd largest clinical volume in the nation, not sure what that means in terms of rad onc patients. Overall, residents do not seem overworked. I believe they have NPs that help with patient management. Mostly 1:1 coverage. One resident did say that Thoracic service only had one attending and it was REAL busy, probably due to the departure of Craig Stevens (former chair).

Didactics and Service Structure: Standard didactics (rad bio, physics, etc..). 3 month site specific rotations, 1 month dosimetry rotation, 6-9 months research (broken up, but supportive of Holman). Now have rotation at UF Proton Institute in Jax w/ housing provided. I think this is a huge advantage since you get proton experience at one of the best pediatric treatment locales in the world combined with great clinical training at Moffitt. This program also has a brachy rotation, which is also a great plus if you want more intense brachy training.

Random details: $1,000/yr travel allowance. Free close parking. $250/yr book fund. Additional funds negotiable. Moonlighting available in PGY-5.

OVERALL: Though Moffitt has lost their chair and there is some faculty movement, I perceived that the program has a solid foundation w/ excellent technology, support staff and research infrastructure. Tampa is a beautiful city w/ affordable housing options. The only CCC in Florida and now with proton exposure at UF. I think this program will only get stronger when the chair situation is sorted out and a clear vision of the department surfaces. Overall, great program in which I would be happy to train.

Anonymous
UT San Antonio

Interview Day:
Relaxed interview day that went from 730am-2pm. You meet with all of the faculty members and the head physicist (who is very direct with no small talk). Lots of time to hang out with the residents in between interviews. 6 female residents currently with 2 guys coming in next year. Very nice group of residents who really enjoyed the program and felt like they get great experience. The chair is amazingly nice and understated, while the program director is younger and did a really great job breaking down what we as applicants should look for in a program.
Research:
Most of the residents don’t do much, but there was one PGY-5 who had a ton of ASTRO presentations this past year. So if you can get it if you want it but this is definitely a clinically focused program. Physics department puts out a lot of papers and is always open to resident participation.
Lifestyle:
Seemed to range from decent to semi-overworked. Seems like there are a ton of patients and days could range from 7am-8pm some days depending on which service you were on, especially GYN. Most of the residents all seemed to view this as a positive, but a couple did admit it was very difficult to adjust when starting as a PGY-2. Call is supposedly extremely light since the department is a stand-alone in the UTSA facility and nobody ever feels like transporting the patient for a consult.
San Antonio is a decent city with most of what you could want to do available. Super cheap cost of living and traffic is nowhere near as bad as Houston and Dallas. I’ve spent a lot of time in Texas and prefer San Antonio to any of the other Texas cities with programs.
Clinical:
The strength of the program is here. UTSA sees most of the patients in the San Antonio area, which is the third biggest city in Texas, and especially the underserved Hispanic population of all southern Texas. The case volume and advance pathology is never in short supply, especially with GYN (which could be a plus or minus depending on how much you like T&Os). As far as facilities go, this is a moderately aged interior with nothing amazing or horrible to comment on. One complaint was the lack of coordination between the multiple medical records systems they see from different hospitals.
Didactics:
Physics seems to be very strong here. Honestly can’t remember much about RadBio since this was my first interview and quite a well ago. Clinical lectures are resident led. There is a lecture either 4/5 days per week or every day. Didactics did not seem to be overly amazing or lacking – about average for most programs I’ve seen.
Bottom Line:
Heavily clinic-based program with large patient volumes and tons of experience. If you’d like to be in Texas, this a good place to be and IMO only behind MDACC and UTSW in Texas. If you want tons of research time, this is not the place for you.

UTMB - Galveston

Interview Day:
Interesting interview day. Everybody was very nice, but the faculty there were just lacking. The department in Galveston seems kind of like a ghost town since half the faculty are elsewhere. The program director skyped in to say hello the applicants, but was at a satellite facility and had to leave after 10 minutes. The head of physics and department chair were also elsewhere and we didn’t meet them. We met 3 of 4 residents and they were very nice but the interview with the two first years was a bit stiff and different from my other resident interviews.
Research: Not much research going on here, but I get the sense that the current residents really weren’t interested. Doesn’t seem to be a focus of the program, but the faculty will support anything the residents want to get done.
Lifestyle:This is tricky, because half of the rotations are in Houston at some great facilities but the other half are in Galveston. All the residents live in Houston and if you’re working in Galveston you must commute an hour and a half there and then probably even longer back. If you live in between, you’re probably screwed even more for your four years.
Galveston the island actually is pretty cool. Almost a ghost town in the non-summer seasons, but has some nice houses, beach, funky places to go, and just a nice quirky island feel. Problem is you have half your rotations in Houston, so you’ll spend a lot of time there too. I’m pretty familiar with Houston and I just don’t like it. Traffic is awful, it’s too spread out, the places you do want to live like medical center area are expensive and even more congested… Just not my place.
Clinical:Half your rotations are in Houston, half are in Galveston. 10 months at MD Anderson and right now 1 year at Methodist, however the contract with Methodist expires in 2 years and they might try and get their program going again so who knows… Very unstable seeming to me. You see mostly prisoners in Galveston since the island population just isn’t enough to keep the place going. There is a satellite facility in between Houston and Galveston that they are trying to build up into a rotation site, but once again who knows. You get good clinical experience here through many different ways but the whole program just seems a bit in flux at the moment. I will say that you probably get one of the most varied clinical experiences from treating prisoners to MDACC to Methodist to who knows what else.
Didactics:One didactic day during the week where everybody goes to Galveston (the mother ship) for all the lectures in one day. This is nice because you get to see all the residents since you’re usually all at different places. If you’re at MDACC you’ll just follow their didactic schedule. Their didactic system is one of the things they do right, since it maximizes the experience in face of all the logistical problems.
Bottom Line:Good clinical experience with a unique opportunity to spend 10 months at MDACC, but too disjointed for me. I’d rather match here than not match at all since I do think it has a lot to offer, but the anxiety and annoyance of the horrible commutes and travelling just turns me off. If you like Houston than this could be a good place.

UAB

Interview Day:
Great interview day that lasted from ~730am-230pm. Interview with about half of the faculty, the head of physics, and one business administrator. One of the most relaxed interview days I’ve been on with amazing faculty who all want to make you feel at home. Beautiful, fairly new facility with a couple bells and whistles that can impress. They also bring you to the satellite facility for lunch, which was pretty standard. My one complaint about the interview day was that some of the residents were busy with clinic or other things and didn’t have too much time to talk with applicants, which I think is somewhat poor form. The chair is amazing and super nice, while the new program director is young and seems to want to maintain the current atmosphere and progress the program.
Research:
If you want a lot of research, this would be a good place. They support Holman pathway here and have the basic science labs right upstairs from the treatment areas. Many faculty are physician scientists and will mentor and support projects. They also don’t look down upon those who don’t want to do Holman. Essentially you can make your time here into whatever you want, which is great.
Lifestyle:
Residents seemed to really enjoy their working life. Of course there are busy services, but most said they got off between 330 and 5. Almost all of them are married with children and almost of all of them moonlight as well (obesity clinics, urgent care, local radonc locums) and get good $$$ for it. They really seem to enjoy it.
Seeing as most of the residents are married and have children, they all enjoy the cheap cost of living and family mindset of Birmingham. Most residents own their home in the suburbs within 15-30 minutes of the hospital. It’s an okay city and a little bit bigger than you would think. Atlanta, Nashville, and lots of decent hiking and trails are all less than 4 hours away if you need an escape.
Clinical:
No problem meeting any numbers here. Satellite clinic operates with a more private practice feel. Birmingham has a lot of underserved patients and advanced cases (a common theme in places I interviewed at). Unique optional experience with a month of prostate brachy in Puerto Rico that sounded pretty awesome to me.
Didactics:
This part was kind of odd. They start at different times every day between 630am and 8am but seem very solid. There is no RadBio until every other year when they bring in one of the big RadBio people to give a 1-2 week boot camp. No complaints from the residents other than the odd scheduling in the mornings which they are working on changing.
Bottom Line:
If you can deal with living in Birmingham, this place is amazing. Facilities, faculty, lifestyle, flexibility, opportunities are all incredible. You can really make your residency whatever you want here while learning what you need to learn with great people.

Roswell Park - Buffalo

Interview Day:
Very quick interview day – 10 minutes with each faculty member and that’s it. Quite refreshing. They put you up in a nice Holiday Inn in downtown Buffalo which is also where they have the dinner, which is quite nice. Most of the faculty were very friendly, minus one who was a little cold during the interview. Department head is interested in getting residents lots of research and the program director will actually reach out to residents in their PGY-1 year to get projects started before you arrive, which I thought was super cool.
Research:
You can do as much research here as you would like. Being a freestanding cancer center has its advantages, such as a lot of basic science labs in the complex. Residents also put out many clinical research projects as well. If you show interest in getting things done, you can get 12 months of research time.
Lifestyle:
Residents said this was a strong suit of the program and said they rarely ever stay past 5pm. There is volume but it is managed and the program wants to keep the faculty numbers the same to keep the residents learning with a mix of quality and quantity. PAs help manage the workload and can even take follow-ups and OTVs while you see consults if it’s really busy.
Buffalo is what you think it is – rust belt location with tons of snow and quite cold. Snow is managed extremely well by the city, but there’s still a ton of it. Lots of festivals in the summer, but not much going on in the winter. Niagara falls and Canada are 30 minutes away. Cheap cost of living – most of the residents live in apartments downtown. The department chair realizes Buffalo may be hard to recruit applicants to and does overcompensate with inviting up to 26 applicants for 1 spot – just a warning.
Clinical:
Residents said that they felt they had good clinical volume without feeling overwhelmed. As mentioned above, having PAs does help. Gamma knife with good volume. It never seemed like the residents were overwhelmed but were learning a lot.
Didactics:
Standard didactics here. One thing of note is that physics and RadBio are split between semesters and RadBio is streamed and kind of co-attended with Rochester residents.
Bottom Line:
Buffalo is not the easiest place to live, but if you can get past that I think this program is actually underrated. A lot of the residents said that since being in the program and seeing what it has to offer that they would have ranked it higher. Very solid, but small and in a not great location.

MUSC

Interview Day:
Normal interview day with 30 minutes for each attending plus the RadBio professor and the head of physics. Faculty are all very nice and conversational, with the exception of one who likes to challenge and asks some difficult questions.
Research:
Not emphasized too much here, but they just recently hired an attending from Roswell Park who spends 3.5 days per week in the lab and is looking to get more research done. Physics and dosimetry projects are available as well, but like a lot of other smaller programs, this place is more clinically focused and if you want to get things going it’s all up to you. The program director and the most recently hired attending do have a good amount of clinical things going on.
Lifestyle:
Definitely a plus here. Days begin at 8am with didactics and residents leave between 4pm and 6pm. Any procedures you get there a little earlier and of course everything depends on the service you’re on. The residents all say they have as much time to read or do whatever as much as they want.
Charleston is a great city if you like small, southern, and family friendly. If you don’t like the south, this is not the place for you. Great architecture, history, restaurants, southern charm, and all with beaches 10 minutes away. Most residents live in the suburbs since the peninsula/Charleston proper can get kind of pricey but the whole area is pretty small. Lots of things to do in less than a 4 hour drive.
Clinical:
Good clinical volume and focus here. They see patients from all over the state of SC from every background possible. Lots of H&N, lots of prostate, lots of Gamma knife and T&Os as well. They do incredibly precise and accurate external beam prostate treatments here – Dr. Marshall probably delivers some of the best external beam prostate anywhere. Facilities at the Hollings Cancer Center are great – everything is pretty new and just feels really comfortable. Gamma knife, tomotherapy, and a few linacs here, so nothing out of the ordinary. There is a satellite facility in one of the nicer suburbs that most attendings go to once or twice a week. Great clinical volume but nothing overwhelming.
Didactics:
Lectures are every morning from 8am-9am, which to me is perfect to start the day with. Each week is a different topic and starts with a resident led lecture. Then throughout the week there are questions, journal club, and case conference with the chair discussing a case with the previous week’s topic. Chart rounds are once a week, physics and RadBio are once a week as well. It is a little difficult to keep following the new topics especially if they are very different from the current service you’re on, but the residents say they get used to it and you are exposed to lots of topics multiple times.
Bottom Line:
One of my favorites because of the whole package. Great town , great people, great experience, and the residents are extremely happy. If you don’t need tons of research and like the south and happiness, this would be a great place to be.

Kentucky

Interview Day:
Best interview breakfast and lunch that I had – it was actually a shame the breakfast was so good because we had free reign of ordering very nice steaks for lunch. Interviewed with all the faculty, research staff, head of physics, and even the senior residents (kind of odd but not less formal). Faculty were all very welcoming and some would even share good stories if you share some connection with them. The intern was not there to talk to about the included preliminary year so that was disappointing. Faculty were all super nice and interested in what applicants have to offer.
Research:
This is definitely a clinically-based department, but the opportunities are there should you decide to take advantage of them. They have some research staff that works with residents to get involved with clinical projects. Not a powerhouse, but as you’ve noticed with my reviews, if you want it you can get it. One of the younger faculty is an editor for a journal that I forgot the name of (he’s also an amazing triathlete in his spare time).
Lifestyle:
Residents did say that they felt the volume did get overwhelming at times since they have such a large catch area but overall were happy. There is a built in preliminary surgery year (6 months surgical specialties, 4 months medicine, 2 months peds) which seems really hit or miss. The residents really liked it but I was still skeptical.
Lexington seems okay. Small/medium-sized town with more horses than people, but seems like there are enough things to do for entertainment unless you require a large city. Most residents own their own house and like it but one is from Chicago and admittedly doesn’t like it. Mix of university town plus second-largest city in the state. Traffic was a lot worse than I would have thought.
Clinical:
The amount of cases you will get here is incredible. Tons of advanced cases from Appalachia and very rural areas (Kentucky is #1 per capita in cancer). This is the strength of the program. As far as tech, nothing out of the ordinary. They do have gamma knife.
Didactics:
I don’t remember too much about didactics here, which probably means that there’s nothing unusual going on. Resident-led lectures, blah, blah, blah. Sorry I don’t remember much about many programs’ didactics.
Bottom Line:
Very strong clinical program with higher than average workload in a middle of the road southern horse town. Prelim surgery year included turns a lot of people off, but honestly the residents seemed better for it and have no issues finding jobs.

Oklahoma

Interview Day:
Great interview day with one of the nicest faculty and staff I’ve seen. Residents were very enthusiastic about the program and it shows. You get to walk into one of the nicest cancer centers I’ve ever seen and the whole place just takes you by surprise. They couldn’t take us into the proton vault that’s under construction unfortunately.
Research:
More clinically focused program but has very good potential to get stuff done. The patient record software you use was designed by one of the faculty members so you have databases there since the software has been in use. The opportunity is there, you just have to use it. They also have some great technology (gotta love oil money) to take advantage of.
Lifestyle:
Residents say they have pretty much enough free time to do whatever they want. Obviously it’s all service dependent, but they seem to have a good enough volume to learn what they want but have free time.
Residents really seem to enjoy OKC. It’s a big enough city to do whatever you want, but small enough to where traffic is almost nonexistent and you can live in the suburbs and own a house. You just have to get used to the hot summers, cold winters and living in the Midwest.
Clinical:
Great volume with all the bells and whistles you could imagine. The faculty themselves lead to unique learning experiences as well. Full VA service with the program director. The chair is also a heme/onc so he brings a unique medicine train of thought to the process and is very hands off and trusting. Another faculty has been around forever and developed the patient record system they use so he is an incredible knowledge base. There are PAs to help with work, so that helps manage craziness. The facilities are the nicest I’ve seen on the trail – everything is brand new, proton center upcoming (OKC will be the first city in the world to have 2 proton centers), gamma knife, etc…
Didactics:
Faculty admits this was a weak point but they are working rapidly to improve it. I didn’t think the structure was bad, but it was very standard.
Bottom Line:
This is one of the best kept secrets. I was kind of like ‘whatever’ when I got this invite, but after going and it being the last interview on my trail, I was astonished. The faculty are all incredibly nice and willing to teach, the volume is great but not overwhelming, the facilities are incredible, the technology is amazing, and the residents are all very happy. If you think you can deal with Oklahoma City (which I think isn’t all that bad and I prefer it to the big Texas cities), this is a great place to be. The residency is expanding and taking two this year, and I see the program gaining exposure quickly.

Arizona

Interview Day:

The faculty and staff are some of the nicest people I encountered. All were very helpful and will give you honest feedback. They are the type of people you can get along with at work in a learning environment but also have fun with as well.
Research:
Not too active in research, but one of the current residents is compiling a database of patients that could be of some use. My worry is that once he leaves, the ability and desire for research will drop a bit. So if you want a lot of research, this probably isn’t the place for you.
Lifestyle:
This is pretty good and depends on which service you are on. Mostly lasts from 8am-530pm but can stay until 6-630pm on some services.
Tucson is actually a pretty cool place. Although it is a college town, it has a lot more to offer especially in outdoors. Surrounded by four mountain ranges and high desert, it has a unique beauty to it once you get past the brown. Has the southernmost ski destination in the continental US oddly enough. Yes, it’s hot in the summer but probably 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix since it’s at 2000 feet. Also the ‘winters’ are very nice.
Clinical:
Lots of good clinical experience without being overwhelming. Good mix of affluent and underserved patients with various disease sites. Xoft machine for the ubiquitous skin cancers in AZ. Very nice satellite facility 15 minutes away that caters to mainly breast patients. The facilities at the main campus are underwhelming and in the basement, but that is not why you would choose to go here. It’s the experience and the people.
Didactics:
Physics on Monday mornings, Tuesday is ASTRO conference on the topic of the month, Wednesday is chart rounds which has good natured pimping (not malignant in any way shape or form), Thursday is journal club where the residents all have 3 hours to discuss papers on the current topic. I forgot what they did for RadBio but it didn’t seem to be a problem.
Bottom Line:
Great clinical program with meh facilities in an underrated city. The people are what made me like this place and the program is very stable. I would think this would be a good fit for western applicants that are having a tough time cracking California or the northwest. This program gets overlooked but I think that it’s a great place if you’re the right fit.

I hope these have helped everybody.

Anyone have any thoughts on Duke, JHU or Yale this year?

Duke

Location: Not a fan of Durham. The interview was on a Monday and it seemed everything was closed by about 3 PM on Sunday afternoon, therefore did not really have a chance to explore “downtown,” although apparently Durham is not a small town or a college town but a small city. The main upsides are that it almost never snows :) and the cost of living is really low. Most residents live in Durham close to the hospital, many within walking distance.

Facilities/Technology: Again, a very nice cancer center. The department just got a new brachy suite which is just now starting to get used and which the PD is very excited about because it will mean that they will have a prostate brachy program, which they don’t really have now although the PD’s particular interest is prostate brachy. As an aside, prostate brachy seemed to be very common weakness, even among excellent programs, apparently because it is just being done less than before.

Research: In the past it seems like research time was fragmented and was given in varied amounts. Now it seems like moving forward there will be a contiguous protected research year for all. Obviously, Duke is a great institution with many opportunities. There were residents who were even involved with clinical trial work and writing manuscripts from these projects. In terms of funding for conferences, if you have an oral then you can go but may not be possible if you have a poster alone

Faculty: I really liked the PD. He is fairly senior in the department, which is relatively uncommon. He is also really passionate about the program. I very much liked the Chair as well, and per the PD the Chair really makes an effort to mentor residents and go to bat for them come time for the job search. Was impressed with multiple other faculty as well and had great discussions with them during the interview.

Residents: There was a pre-interview dinner at an Italian restaurant. Only some of the residents came, but those that did seemed nice. A lot of them are married (probably because of cost of living?). I believe there are about 4 residents per year.

Work: My understanding is that this definitely leans towards more work, but there are things that have been put in place to help ameliorate that. For instance, there is a midlevel who does all the inpatient consults.

Overall impression: Faculty at other programs on the interview trail would praise this place unsolicited, and it is definitely a very strong program. They seem to have great volume, and excellent clinical training. There are also excellent research opportunities that a motivated resident could take very far, and with the protected year now it will be easier to do this. Definitely a top program.

Moffitt (Tampa Bay):

I've never been shy about being a Moffitt resident, and I'm very proud of our program. We receive an outstanding education with a large variety of cases, frequent lectures and educational opportunties, while seeing many varied and advanced cancers treated with a wide range of technologies. In addition, we are treated very well as residents, and I think our limited scut and benefits are some of the best in the nation. Anyway, I don't want to be one of those types who posts on here to sell their own program to others, but I just wanted to correct a few factual things. Nothing personal here at all there jcradonc--it's hard to really gauge these things during your limited time here, and it's entirely possible you were given some inaccurate details.

Location/Dept
: Tampa is gorgeous. The waterfront was amazing. I believe 45 min from the beach. Most residents live in South Tampa, I guess the more happening locale.

There are so many beaches in the area that it's hard to give exact numbers. It's 30-60 minutes from South Tampa to the beautiful, tourist magazine, beaches (it just depends which one...). It's less than 15 minutes to decent beaches. I run from my apartment along the waterfront all the time, and I see dolphins most of the time down there.

: Research is encouraged. Again, per residents there are some really nice clinical databases. I believe one of the largest published lung SBRT papers came from here. This is a comprehensive cancer center, thus it has all the infrastructure for excellent basic and clinical research. There are several SPORE grants, a working patient database (Total Cancer Cancer), which will be a powerhouse when up and running. I believe there were 2 residents that were Holman.

Research is basically required, but it doesn't feel onerous to anyone because all rotations have at least 1 academic day, and many have 2. There are so many opportunities and support mechanisms that anyone can get involved and be productive. The Total Cancer Care database has been running for years. I use it to pull gene expression data from thousands of samples and correlate it to results from our EHR and other clinical databases.

: They advertise that Moffitt has the 3rd largest clinical volume in the nation, not sure what that means in terms of rad onc patients. Overall, residents do not seem overworked. I believe they have NPs that help with patient management. Mostly 1:1 coverage. One resident did say that Thoracic service only had one attending and it was REAL busy, probably due to the departure of Craig Stevens (former chair).

Some rotations are busy and some are light. Almost every rotation is 1:1 coverage, but some attendings are very busy and others aren't. That's all liable to change with time--i.e. we're very likely have another thoracic attending soon, they're working on hiring another head and neck faculty member, etc...

Didactics and Service Structure:
Standard didactics (rad bio, physics, etc..). 3 month site specific rotations, 1 month dosimetry rotation, 6-9 months research (broken up, but supportive of Holman). Now have rotation at UF Proton Institute in Jax w/ housing provided. I think this is a huge advantage since you get proton experience at one of the best pediatric treatment locales in the world combined with great clinical training at Moffitt. This program also has a brachy rotation, which is also a great plus if you want more intense brachy training.

It's 9-11 months of elective currently. Essentially, there has always been 9 months of elective. There was a rads-path-dosimetry rotation, but the rads and path weren't felt to be all that helpful, so they're now optional. I think of research/elective time like what I wrote here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-your-program-stack-up.1043268/#post-14656004.

When you take the elective time is flexible. I'm taking mine most of PGY-5 year and the end of PGY-4 year. Opinions vary on when is the best time to do research. You could take the time all as a block if you wanted or break it up. There are many more faculty than there are residents, so faculty are used to not being covered by residents. Also, there is no set schedule, other than some rotations being 1st year and others being "senior" (all other years). So you can pretty much do what you want with regards to scheduling.

Random details
: $1,000/yr travel allowance. Free close parking. $250/yr book fund. Additional funds negotiable. Moonlighting available in PGY-5.

Travel allowance depends on the year. It's not set in stone. My allowance this year was about $2500. I say about because the book fund is somewhat flexible as well, and I think is getting rolled into my travel funds for radium society. You could probably go to one conference a year with nothing to present. Additional conferences would require at least posters. It's very easy to put together a retrospective series and get a poster, so most of us go to 2-3 conferences a year (first years often do 1, if you get additional travel support you could do as many as 4). In addition, we get our ABR dues paid for.

Moonlighting is actually available starting PGY-3. There are only 2 residents who do it currently. This is because you need approval from the program, and there are some pros/cons to moonlighting that you have to weigh. The details are very specific to here and wouldn't be relevant unless you matched here, but it is available.

Edit 4/8/14: It was announced today that Dr. Louis Harrison will be coming on board as chairman of the department in the next few months. He is currently Chairman of Radiation Oncology and Physician in Chief of the Cancer Center at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City as well as a highly regarded academic physician particularly in head and neck radiation and brachytherapy. We are very excited to have him!

Last edited:
Another anonymous review:

VCU/MCV
Program: Strong all around. Partial breast is a big focus here and you get some unique exposure you probably wouldn't at many other places. Residents spend time at St. Judes for peds. Great opportunities for research including 6 months dedicated time with opportunities for more. The VA is a great resource for residents to get clinical trials going, which some are actively pursuing. Residents also spend time at satellite facilities. Medical physics is very strong here (editor of medical physics is on faculty), so there is no question you will get high quality physics and radbio education. QA is huge here, and residents are required to attend chart reviews, which they don't seem thrilled about. Graduates seem to do well placing in both academics and private practice.

Residents: By far the most collegial group I met. Mostly male and everyone regularly does things together outside of work -- not just a couple of them, but the entire group. I couldn't imagine any other group I would rather be a part of. Great people all around and everyone is clearly very happy at the program. The residents are all very high quality with impressive backgrounds -- the program obviously does not have any problems attracting good talent. Not a hint of malignancy or burnout anywhere. There are 8 residents, but they are on a weird schedule, so depending on the year, they might have 3, 2, or 1 slot(s). A previous review mentioned that most residents had a connection to VCU, which isn't true. I think only one of them went to VCU.

Location: Richmond is an awesome mid-sized city. It's a great compromise for people who love cities and people who don't. Housing is affordable inside and outside of the city, giving plenty of options to live very nicely either in an urban, suburban, or rural environment. The James river runs through the city and provides many outdoor recreation activities (one of the only cities in the country with whitewater rapids within city limits). With an hour of driving, you can be at the beach, the nation's capital, a ski resort, Virginia wine country, or the blue ridge mountains. Literally nothing negative to say about the location.

Facilities: Massey Cancer Center is directly adjoined to the main university hospital. It's a very compact, but very large medical campus. The department is in the basement and is showing its age. One unique plus are the street vendors that set up shop at lunch time outside. You're not stuck eating cafeteria food for 4 years... there are about 5-10 different carts operating offering some diverse ethnic lunch options for around 5 bucks.

Workload: It's busy, but residents typically don't arrive before 7:30 or leave after 6. Certain services have been very busy in the past, but it sounds like that has changed.

Overall: I think a lot of these interview impressions aren't very helpful because people just write "great program" for every review and never list any cons. But with VCU, I'm really struggling to find anything critical to say. Lets see, Richmond traffic kind of sucks and the place could use a renovation, but that didn't change my ranking at all. I would love to match here and I think anybody else would be crazy not to.

im surprised there aren't more interview impressions posted by now..is there another thread that I'm missing?

Anyone else have any impressions on some of the southern programs (Duke, Emory, Baylor, UT-SW, UT-Galveston, Florida, etc) and midwest programs (Chicago, Mayo, Michigan, Cleveland Clinic)?

im surprised there aren't more interview impressions posted by now..is there another thread that I'm missing?

Anyone else have any impressions on some of the southern programs (Duke, Emory, Baylor, UT-SW, UT-Galveston, Florida, etc) and midwest programs (Chicago, Mayo, Michigan, Cleveland Clinic)?

Agreed, it has been an unusually quiet year. I hope that people step up and post after Match day. This thread was such a huge help to me in the years leading up to matching, as I'm sure it was for a ton of the folks who matched this year.

Relax, celebrate, and then don't forget to pay it forward!

I did not factor minutiae when ranking; e.g. 6 v 9 months of research (I do not plan to do basic science research, so I'll likely be working steadily throughout residency), 8 v 10 weeks on call, 8 v 12 residents, etc. So, I apologize that I will not be summarizing that information here. If you'd like to find those details, I found the program websites to be very up-to-date and available to the public online.

I did not make an excel spreadsheet to assign a scoring system to ranking criteria. I ranked based on how I felt about (1) my cultural fit in the department, (2) opportunity for growth (through learning (didactics) and research), (3) support of faculty, (4) quality of life in the department, (5) area of the country (spouse), and (6) reputation of the program. Some from the areas you mentioned, in no particular order:

Duke: new cancer center opened 2 years ago. That, plus a faculty moving elsewhere, seems to have drastically changed the quality of life in the department for the residents. Whereas they previous lacked the necessary # of machines to treat all their patients within a reasonable hour of day, that no longer seems to be a problem. The new cancer center was gorgeous. Durham is really cleaning up, and what a fantastic area of the country with Chapel Hill and Raleigh nearby. I went to the interview with no pre-formed judgments and found the faculty to be very welcoming, intelligent, inquisitive, and supportive. Dr. Willett seemed to be a fantastically supportive chair, and I greatly enjoyed meeting him. I also really liked the vibe I got from Dr. W.R.Lee (PD) - seemed a bit quirky (in a good way) yet that he could be downright fun, and he obviously cared a lot about the program. The residents were very kind and approachable. No red flags or bad vibes. A+

UT-SW: a lot of development going on here. Goal for proton center (confirmed, I believe), carbon ions (not confirmed, but very probable), and entirely new department (confirmed, I believe), all within the next 3 years. This will evidently all be built within the same courtyard/on the same plot of land, making it the only such tight conglomeration in the states (world?) if that happens. What they have now is really nice; they're apparently simply doing so well financially that they are able to make this happen. Supportive and intelligent faculty; yes, several are patriarchs, yet I gather they are only like that in order to push each other (and themselves) to a higher level. Thus, to thrive here, you might need thickish skin. Some of the faculty are as kind as any in the country. What was a very strong physics dept before is becoming a land of gods with Jiang and Wu joining the ranks. Really liked the area of the country. A beach drive is not possible, but pool use 8 months of the year is realistic. If you want a program that will push you to be the best you can be (and expect that of you, but that's okay, depending on how you look at it), this is your place. I think underrated on the fake top 10 ranks. A

Moffitt: biggest surprise of the interview season. Beautiful place, friendly and very happy residents and faculty. No/very little "scut work" required of residents, with commonly 2 academic days per week, leading to publications galore if you take advantage of the opportunity, leading to great job placement. Forget that they don't have a chair; it doesn't matter for us now. That'll definitely pan out in the 5 years left before we'll finish. What you have here is a fantastic environment for learning, taking advantage of opportunities (should you choose to do so), and great quality of life. Dr. Dilling (PD) was one of my favorite faculty from the trail. If you want a place to live lavishly for not that much $$ and give yourself the opportunity for great academic success (but not the requirement (v. UTSW)), this should be on your list. A- (but on my scale you can make this an A+ type place if you work hard)

Miami: a lot of development going on here as well. My understanding is that the physics department has doubled in the last year, the faculty size has doubled in the last 4 years ish (?) and they're still growing. Potential to be a powerhouse in the next 5 years. Given the apparent respect lag that exists, I hesitated from assuming that powerhouse reputation would be in place during my time there. Panel interview, a style that I have a love/hate relationship with. Friendly faculty, happy residents. Amenities galore. In an effort to boost research, they're paying residents $300 per publication or something like that - I would work day and night haha. I went to the interview with no pre-formed judgment and really liked it. The weather is beautiful. Unfortunately, the culture in Miami (not the department) is awful. A- (since it seems great but is still a bit under development)

Last edited:
I'm interested in the Northeast and haven't seen many reviews of Rutgers/Robert Wood Johnson and Cornell. If anyone interviewed with them this year, I would appreciate any reviews.

I chimed in about Florida above, but can do Emory and Michigan.

Emory:
Interview Day:
Pretty standard. It included a tour of the city which was a great addition. No surprises here.

Research: 6-9 months, although the program director stated that a year was possible “in the right circumstances” and has been provided in the past. The research resources here are phenomenal – there is plenty of basic science going on and some really groundbreaking clinical research also. This is probably one of the most balanced departments in terms of basic, translational and clinical research. Dr. Curran is RTOG chair, and there are other senior faculty with cooperative group connections who would make great mentors. There are several physician-scientists with labs where residents could get plugged in if interested. All residents have presentations at ASTRO and have several projects going on at one time.

Lifestyle: Atlanta is a great city to live in for nearly everyone. It’s a city with plenty to do for young, single folks and a low cost of living for residents with families. There is plenty of diversity and always something to do. With one of the biggest resident cohorts in the country (16 total) you will have plenty of compadres.

Clinical: This is really one of the biggest strengths of this program. You are at four sites – Grady (county hospital), Emory University/ Egleston Children’s Hospital (tertiary care facility, peds), Emory Midtown (private practice/ community hospital setting) and the VA (you know, the VA). You get such a broad variety of training you will honestly be 100% prepared for whatever you do after residency. 18 faculty members across all these sites allows for a lot of different perspectives for teaching.

Didactics: I didn’t get a good sense of how the didactics run, but the residents all seemed satisfied with them. They do practice tests throughout the year and everyone seems to do fine on boards.

Bottom Line: I 100% believe this is a phenomenal program that deserves more credit than it has gotten in years past. I saw a lot of great places on the interview trail and I really think this is one of the best programs I saw. It is well-rounded with the best clinical experience available anywhere and endless research resources, with everything from lab projects to large collaborative group trials.

Michigan:
So, I went to Michigan but missed the dinner and the interview day was so short I really didn't feel like I got a very thorough impression. The interview day is formatted in half- day interviews, so half the group goes in the morning, everyone has lunch together, and half the group goes in the afternoon. The interviews are fine, with two faculty members in each group. My overall impression was that physics was very strong here - and there is excellent research going on in specific areas (SBRT, liver). Dr. Lawrence was great. I had an odd interview with the PD that was a little confrontational and gave me the sense I wasn't wanted at the program, which really turned me off. That may not be the norm, however. I'm not sure that I would place this program in the top 5 despite its reputation, but I think it's still a strong program and may be a better fit for others. Ann Arbor is a great place to live, and a great place to have a family.