Rad Onc Away Rotation Impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely rock the tie and white coat. You may even impress attendings with your style - on my interview day at a program i had rotated at, I got more comments about a particularly slick tie I had worn (one) than about my 45 minute talk to the whole department (zero).

Members don't see this ad.

Better to be overdressed than underdressed. I never wore a tie in 3rd year and I wore one every day on my rotation. I also always wear my white coat. It's silly, but no one's ever going to fault you for dressing professionally, whereas some people may take under-dressing negatively.

This.

I imagine some people have started their away rotations by now, hows it going? I don't start until next week, but I can't wait to finally do a rotation in what I want to do.

For anonymity, no need to say an actual impression, I'm more just curious about generalities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to bump this up to see if anyone had any reviews of IU?

Thanks for all the info! Has anyone rotated at Mayo before?

I rotated at Mayo (a few years ago now) and would overall echo the above thoughts, i.e. good rotation. I was a little disappointed, however, when despite being assured I would be interviewed I received a rejection, only later to be interviewed after all when they had a cancellation. At least I knew just how they felt about me!

I think my interview day was smoother, however. All the interviewers were nice to me, whereas the other applicants all stated they had a rougher time of it.

Anybody have any experience with away rotation at Johns Hopkins? Thanks in advance.

I rotated there just over a year ago and thought it was a great experience. I emailed the program director and within 10 minutes she replied saying that they could accomodate me. Staying in the adult dorm is convenient but not the ideal living conditions and it does require some extra $. Its a pretty standard away rotation format where you rotate with different faculty on a day by day basis, see consults, go to morning conference, present to attendings, present at MDC tumor board, and give a talk at the end of the rotation. The faculty were great and the residents were helpful. I learned a ton and I was impressed that they had more faculty come to my talk then at my home program. The only problem is Baltimore is a bit dangerous and you wont be exploring the neighborhood at night, however the campus itself is well secured. To add one last selling point I got a ton of free lunches while I was there and all the residents were extremely helpful/smart. Also, I think it costs a couple hundred bucks to do the rotation as a side note. I didn't get any letters of rec, but I didn't ask because it was late in the cycle and I had an interview. I'll also give a thumbs up to the nursing/administration who were personable and fun to be around.

Hi all, thanks for the great impressions/info so far. I hate to add to the begging, but does anyone have experience with OHSU? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, thanks for the great reviews/info so far. I hate to be another begging baby bird (the dreaded triple B), but anyone have experience doing an away at OHSU? Thanks.

Just wanted to give you, and everyone else, a heads up that there is a good chance that there will be more reviews coming in after February 20th when rank lists are locked down. So if you don't get the response you want now, it may come later!

Institution: Emory University

Time spent: 4 weeks

Services: Everyone rotates 1 week at 2 of these locations where you see a mix of everything: Midtown, VA, or Grady. You get 2 weeks at Winship, 1 on the CNS/Lung (Curran) service, and 1 on a service of your choice.

Presentation: You present towards the end of your rotation on a Friday (this can depend on how many people are rotating during the same 4 weeks as you). The presentation is 30 minutes following chart rounds and prior to didactics. It will be attended by all residents and some faculty. Curran was usually not there.

Research: They had a 2 month research rotation last year, but if you are proactive you can find a clinical project while you are there. They have a ton of stuff going on, you just have to be very self motivated and keep pushing to get a project done.

Role as a student: Emory is busy and you are in charge of all new patient consults. Also, there can be times when it is incredibly busy and you may be acting like a junior resident seeing follow-ups and on treatment visits. It was a great experience and I learned a ton about rad onc this way. The residents give you a lot of autonomy and will help you out along the way. I didn't do any contouring.

Impression: Like or didn't like? I loved my rotation at Emory. Sure, you get to spend time in a great program and try to make a good impression, but it is also a great learning opportunity. Dr. Diaz runs the student rotations and does and incredible job. This was the most organized rotation I did, and that is really important when you are at a new place and just starting to learn about rad onc. He makes sure everyone who rotates gets a week on Dr. Curran's service. Unfortunately, Dr. Curran usually only sees patients one day of the week, but at least Dr. Diaz does his best to give you the chance to work with Dr. Curran. Grady was an awesome week where you get a lot of autonomy to see patients and come up with a plan. Dr. Landry is also awesome to work with. Midtown was very busy, and a chance to see a large variety of cases including a lot of sarcoma cases. The thing I liked most about the structure of the rotation was that you knew what you would be doing for an entire week and could prepare/read.
Would you recommend it to future applicants? Definitely, Emory is growing fast and quickly gaining national prominence. You get the chance to spend significant time with all their big-name faculty. You will also learn a lot about radiation oncology. I also had a great time in Atlanta. I was a little unsure about ATL prior to rotating, but after spending a month there I loved it. There are great places to eat, tons of parks and outdoor activities (if you don't mind temps near 100), and a lot of really cool neighborhoods.
Any other thoughts developed after 4 weeks. A lot of people will want to get LORs from their rotations, and at Emory from Dr. Curran. You can get a letter from him, but don't expect it to be personal and heartfelt as you only really work with him for one day. Your better chances at really good letters will be from the other well known faculty whom you can actually spend an entire week with. Also, you can get those faculty to be your mentor for your presentation.

Offered an interview: Yes? Yes, I got an interview, but apparently there were 25 or more students who rotated this year. That alone means that not everyone gets an interview just because you rotated. I do think the rotation allows you to prove yourself to them and earn an opportunity to interview.

Institution: University of Alabama-Birmingham

Services: You basically spend 4 weeks at Hazelrig-Salter Radiation Oncology Center and see the patients of the busiest attending each day. If there are multiple rotators, the people who have been there the longest divy up days with Fiveash and Burnett and you take what's left. Therefore, you may see head and neck one day, then prostate, then gyn, etc. Also, they have a satellite facility about 10 miles south of Bham where you can spend some afternoons seeing patients. There is not a ton of structure to the rotation, and if you are there by yourself it is up to you what to do everyday. Unfortunately, Dr. Bonner really doesn't see a ton of patients and I don't know of anyone who actually got to rotate with him in clinic.

Presentation: Presentation is the last week of your rotation on a Thursday I think. You have up to an hour, but nobody really wants to sit there and listen to you moan about your research or interesting case for that long. It is perfectly fine to only talk for 30-45 minutes. There was really good attendance for all the student presentations including most of the residents, a number of physics faculty and residents, and probably 1-2/3 of the faculty (specifically Drs. Bonner, Fiveash, and Burnett). It is during lunch with free food which could partially explain the good turnout. There will be some friendly questioning and discussion after the talk as well.

Research: I did not specifically pursue research while there, but most of the residents have a number of projects going on and one needs only be proactive and persistent to get a clinical project done. They are very active with lab research at UAB, but you couldn't do a lab project in 1 month.

Role as a student: In general, you see all new patients. UAB is busy, and there is one resident to each attending. Therefore, you can also end up seeing whatever patient shows up. One of the challenges of this rotation was that knowing what patients you were going to see was not very predictable. Thus, it was difficult to prepare extensively for new patients. Sometimes they don't show up, or they are late and get seen by someone else while you are seeing an OTV. Residents are very helpful and let you do as much as you want. No contouring, though.

Impression: Like or didn't like? I really enjoyed rotating at UAB. It was not super-structured so you were on your own a lot in determining where you went and what you saw each day. They also do a good deal of brachy, so you can fit in a couple of procedures. The residents were a great group and often went to lunch together or went out for beers after work, and you can go along as well. Birmingham is a cool city and the downtown area is really improving. They are building a new baseball stadium a few blocks from the hospital and there are a number of restaurants and bars going in. Housing was redonkulous in Bham for the month, though.
Would you recommend it to future applicants? Yes. Very good rotation with great learning experiences. Also a great way to meet the all the faculty and residents and prove yourself. Donell is the program coordinator and made everything incredibly easy to set up. They were very accommodating to off-schedule rotations. You do have to do a separate application, though, as UAB doesn't do VSAS. Also, you have to spend 1.5 days in the hospital's EHR training course which was ridiculous (this was required by UAB, not the rad onc department).
Any other thoughts developed after 4 weeks. Letters. It sounds like only home students are usually able to get a letter from Dr. Bonner. You probably won't get to rotate with him or spend any significant time with him. They do have other well known faculty that you can definitely spend significant time with, specifically Dr. Fiveash and Dr. Spencer.

Offered an interview: Yes? Yes, I received an interview, but who knows if my rotation was why. I'm not sure if rotators are pretty much guaranteed an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump up for any away experience at Vandy and UTSW. Many thanks.

I know it's getting a little late, but what did you guys look for when applying to aways? This thread helps a lot with programs to stay away from, but how did everyone create a list of programs they did want to rotate at?

Rankings? Location? Was cost ever a factor (staying with someone you knew)? Programs with big wigs with the intention of getting a letter?

Did you apply to many aways and then narrow it down to 2-3 later?

I know it's getting a little late, but what did you guys look for when applying to aways? This thread helps a lot with programs to stay away from, but how did everyone create a list of programs they did want to rotate at?

Rankings? Location? Was cost ever a factor (staying with someone you knew)? Programs with big wigs with the intention of getting a letter?

Did you apply to many aways and then narrow it down to 2-3 later?

I think the wisest thing to do is to be practical. I'm guessing you are planning on doing two aways since that is the most common number. I would apply filters to the total list of programs in this order:

1) First remove programs that are completely out of your league after doing an honest assessment of your chances (This could be no programs if you are top of your class at Harvard, or could be 20-30 programs if you are middle of the class at an unranked state school with no research.)

2) Once you have that list, remove any programs you wouldn't want to attend for any reason.

3) Now that you have the list of programs you'd be willing to attend that you are competitive for, pick the half of that list that you'd rather go to.

After all of this you should be down to about 20 programs or so.

4) Now, put these programs in order from most to least competitive/prestigous. I'd apply to do 4 away rotations at the top of this list, and 4 in the middle. It can be completely random where you'll get aways, and as long as you withdraw your applications to programs before they offer you a spot, I don't believe it hurts you at all come residency application time.

This process works because it takes into account a few things: Your preferences first, and foremost since aways are your BEST chance to get an in at a program you actually want to attend. When deciding from that narrowed down list you can certainly give preference to Big wig LOR's, etc but I wouldn't make a decision about that until you've applied the above filters.

Geographic diversity is interesting because SDN says that aways in a new region help, but for me and others I've talked to it didn't help at all. So, with that your mileage will certainly vary.

Hope this helps!

I think the wisest thing to do is to be practical. I'm guessing you are planning on doing two aways since that is the most common number. I would apply filters to the total list of programs in this order:

1) First remove programs that are completely out of your league after doing an honest assessment of your chances (This could be no programs if you are top of your class at Harvard, or could be 20-30 programs if you are middle of the class at an unranked state school with no research.)

2) Once you have that list, remove any programs you wouldn't want to attend for any reason.

3) Now that you have the list of programs you'd be willing to attend that you are competitive for, pick the half of that list that you'd rather go to.

After all of this you should be down to about 20 programs or so.

4) Now, put these programs in order from most to least competitive/prestigous. I'd apply to do 4 away rotations at the top of this list, and 4 in the middle. It can be completely random where you'll get aways, and as long as you withdraw your applications to programs before they offer you a spot, I don't believe it hurts you at all come residency application time.

This process works because it takes into account a few things: Your preferences first, and foremost since aways are your BEST chance to get an in at a program you actually want to attend. When deciding from that narrowed down list you can certainly give preference to Big wig LOR's, etc but I wouldn't make a decision about that until you've applied the above filters.

Geographic diversity is interesting because SDN says that aways in a new region help, but for me and others I've talked to it didn't help at all. So, with that your mileage will certainly vary.

Hope this helps!

Generally speaking, I agree with this logic. However, maybe I just got lucky with my applications (applied to 2 initially, didn't get one, so applied for a third which I got after having learned I wouldn't be able to attend the second), but I would shy away from applying to 8 programs. Perhaps sheldor is right and it won't hurt you, but I'm somewhat risk averse and think that there is at least a decent chance it may hurt you.

Some decisions re: away placement are made entirely through the registrar's office, and therefore the department may have little knowledge of who applied. However, others are decided directly by the department (e.g. MD Anderson), and could therefore conceivably hurt you if you decide to decline or withdraw your application.

To address your questions, agree with Sheldor that you need to look at your application to determine where you may be competitive. It's not unreasonable to do a rotation at a place that is a reach if you think you can get a strong letter. Just realize that at places like MDA, MGH/BWH, etc., you may not rotate with the biggest names at that institution.

I think it's completely reasonable to consider rankings, location, and cost. I would have loved to rotate at MSK, but couldn't justify subletting some room/studio for >1500-2000 since I didn't have contacts in the city I could stay with.

Because many of these away rotations are organized/decided upon through the registrar's office, don't take offense if you don't get an away rotation that you wanted. Many times it's simply a matter of how many applied for the 2 or so spots available. As a personal anecdote, I matched at a program at which I had applied to do an away but was not offered a spot.

Generally speaking, I agree with this logic. However, maybe I just got lucky with my applications (applied to 2 initially, didn't get one, so applied for a third which I got after having learned I wouldn't be able to attend the second), but I would shy away from applying to 8 programs. Perhaps sheldor is right and it won't hurt you, but I'm somewhat risk averse and think that there is at least a decent chance it may hurt you.

Some decisions re: away placement are made entirely through the registrar's office, and therefore the department may have little knowledge of who applied. However, others are decided directly by the department (e.g. MD Anderson), and could therefore conceivably hurt you if you decide to decline or withdraw your application.

To address your questions, agree with Sheldor that you need to look at your application to determine where you may be competitive. It's not unreasonable to do a rotation at a place that is a reach if you think you can get a strong letter. Just realize that at places like MDA, MGH/BWH, etc., you may not rotate with the biggest names at that institution.

I think it's completely reasonable to consider rankings, location, and cost. I would have loved to rotate at MSK, but couldn't justify subletting some room/studio for >1500-2000 since I didn't have contacts in the city I could stay with.

Because many of these away rotations are organized/decided upon through the registrar's office, don't take offense if you don't get an away rotation that you wanted. Many times it's simply a matter of how many applied for the 2 or so spots available. As a personal anecdote, I matched at a program at which I had applied to do an away but was not offered a spot.

I agree with you about their being the smallest chance of it hurting you, and I too am risk averse. However, I had to weigh the potential damage of not getting a spot, which for me would have been worse. If one is really worried about this, they could also apply to 2 per spot, and decrease that risk somewhat. (Of the ones I applied to but withdrew before they could offer, I got some interviews and didn't get others, so who knows)

Also, I definitely agree with doing rotations at "reaches." I should have defined my terms better. In that first round of eliminating programs that you aren't competitive for, I wasn't referring to reaches, I was referring to programs where there was truly no chance. For solid applicants, from top 40 research schools with a year out of research, there wouldn't be any eliminated in that round.

However, I know a handful of people who did away rotations at programs that were out of their reach, and they all regret that decision and wished they'd used that away to get an "in" at a program more in their competitiveness range.

Also, second member392's caution about doing an away at a big name place and not rotating with a big wig. I know people who had the block set up with the big wig only to find out the person ended up being gone for vacation, conferences, etc. Also, I chose one of my based on cost because I had a free place to live, however while I don't regret saving money don't make that the sole basis of your decision!

For full disclosure: I did one at a reach I had no business going to, and one at an upper competitive on my list. If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have done the super reach, and instead would have done another top choice in the middle of my competitive range. For what thats worth :oops:

Super, super helpful post Sheldor and Member392.

I'm doing a research year at a top 3 program. My PI said he could get me here for an away rotation, but if I'm honest with myself, I don't think I have a chance of getting an interview based on stats. From what everyone is saying, I know it's a bad idea to apply for an away here. I just need to hear it from someone else that I should not apply here. Lay it on me!

Super, super helpful post Sheldor and Member392.

I'm doing a research year at a top 3 program. My PI said he could get me here for an away rotation, but if I'm honest with myself, I don't think I have a chance of getting an interview based on stats. From what everyone is saying, I know it's a bad idea to apply for an away here. I just need to hear it from someone else that I should not apply here. Lay it on me!

This is a very fine line! My first thought was, that this is the exception to my rule, which is doing an away somewhere out of your league because you have a connection to the program. My second thought was, well, if you spent a year there you probably don't need an extra month there for them to get to know you.

I'll defer to the wisdom of others, but off the cuff I'd probably suggest you do the away. Not very helpful of me, ha

In full disclosure, I am a resident at the University of Wisconsin and thought I would contribute to the thread per the original format given by the OP.

Institution: University of Wisconsin

Services: Students sit down with the Chief residents on the first day of the rotation to create a schedule. Many of our attendings are only in clinic 3 days/week (which is great for us as residents to have 2 academic days/week), so they will say, "We will have you with Dr. X on Monday, Dr. Y on Tuesday, Dr. Z on Wednesday, etc." We typically place the students with the more senior and well known attendings so that their letter of recommendation will potentially have a greater impact.

Presentation: Occurs at the end of the rotation and is approximately 45 minutes. The presentations are very well attended by Chair, Program Director, senior faculty and residents. We respect the fact that you (hopefully) have put a lot of time and effort into your presentation and so make it a point to attend.

Research: Very good. All of us (residents) have anywhere from 1-3 research projects ongoing at any one time and are generally very receptive to having help from a medical student eager to get his/her name on a paper. Last year, we had two students who were able to do research during their elective and others who chose to just focus on the clinical aspect of things because they already had research experience.

Role as a student: Present consults to attendings. We (residents) really don't feel that is much educational value in presenting follow-ups or contouring, but are happy to let you present the consults. We take the time to teach medical students and help them come up with a good Impression/Plan to give to the attending at the end of their patient presentation.

Impression: I am pretty certain that I speak for all of the residents when I tell you that we are all extremely happy here. The SDN quote of "the happiest residents on the interview trail..." is accurate (though that is difficult to objectively quantify) and is one of the reasons I wanted to train here. I think that this is a great place to do an away rotation because of the environment (attendings very nice, excellent support staff, etc.), flexibility of scheduling who you get to work with, research opportunities and quality of education.

Offered an interview: Almost always. The quality of medical students rotating through is obviously very high, so nearly everyone is invited for an interview.

thanks for the great insider advice, sounds like a great program!

Last edited:
Anyone rotate at MDACC?

If you requested a specific service did you work with everyone on that service or a specific attending? Any other thoughts or advice?

Have two away rotations coming up. Any insight, suggestions, impressions, etc. on the following programs/services would be appreciated:

MDACC (2 weeks each on gyn and lymphoma)
Colorado

Here's an anonymous review I was asked to post:

UCLA 2014 Away Rotation Impressions:

I rotated at UCLA as well. You can do 3 or 4 weeks. Most of your time is spent at Ronald Reagan UCLA, but they also have residents/attendings at the Santa Monica UCLA Campus. UCLA is one of the most beautiful campuses and the facilities/technology are world class. Finding housing near UCLA is a little tricky, but if you ask around you can find a good deal for visiting students.
What surprised me the most was the crazy hours the residents worked and the vast amount of scut work they had to deal with. The whole department seemed understaffed. The residents I met were all a very nice bunch and got along together very well. It seemed like they would try to get together outside of work too. The three attendings I worked with during the majority of my rotation were very kind and great to work with too. At the end of your rotation you give a talk (case presentation on present you research) most residents and a handful of faculty attend the talk.
Overall, I felt this department to be a power-player on the west coast, but I felt as though residents were not well supported and problems with understaffing would often fall to the residents. Hopefully this will improve."

Another anonymous impression:

Unfortunately, I too have to agree with the two above posts about UCLA. I rotated earlier this year and was stunned by the scut work and the insane long hours the residents worked. I would have to agree that it would be hard to imagine finding time to do any research/scholarly work in that environment. It seemed as though the higher ups in the department did not understand what was going on…I too hope this improves.

Any other thoughts about away rotations at Stanford, UCSF, or UCSD? I am trying to decide among these three. Does anyone know who the next PD of UCSF will be?

Thank you!

Just wanted to chime in on my away rotation impressions from last season. Note these are more from a student perspective than a prospective resident perspective.

UW Madison
Clinical: you and other away rotators divide up the services and see pretty much only consults (except with chair you also see f/u since he has only one clinic day or so); I spent a lot of time prepping for the consults (~2 hrs) the day before; you can see a whole variety of cases that you wouldn't see elsewhere. Students stay on the main site (do not go to satellites)
Research: did not try, and there is no strong expectation to be involved in any project while there; if you set something up though, I'm sure you could be productive given their infrastructure (in retrospect I kind of wish I had)
Letters: pretty easy to get a good letter (maybe a bit more difficult with chair since he doesn't have many clinic days)
Environment: extremely positive and supportive especially from a student perspective, ALL attending genuinely take interest in the rotators (from chair to new assistant professors); residents all take on the same care and respect for students as well; one of the best aspects of this program by far
Presentation: one 20 minute presentation can be either on some research you did or an interesting case; needless to say, this is very well attended and a very important part of the rotation
Interview: did not get one, and most rotators did not this year from what I understand. This was a reach program for me anyways and because of the great learning environment and LOR I would rotate here again without question.

U Maryland Baltimore
Clinical: Chief sets a (pretty flexible) schedule so you can rotate with most of the important people in the department. The schedule definitely waxes and wanes depending on who you are rotating with. Student do visit one of the satellites (where PD is).
Research: did not do research, but for those considering rotating here I would HIGHLY recommend trying to set up a project for the month you will be here because of the variable clinical volume that a student will see
Letter: did not get a letter b/c this was a late rotation for me; don't see any reason why you could not get a good letter especially if you set up a project and do some research with your letter writer
Environment: definitely a more east coast feel, but again all the attendings take a genuine interest in students and keep them involved; residents are an absolutely great bunch. Dr. Mehta's enthusiasm and didactic teaching ability are second to none.
Presentation: ~20-30 min presentation on your research or an interesting case/topic. Again well attended and a highly emphasized part of rotation.
Interview: did not get one again. maybe I ran out of steam by this point.

A couple of thoughts on aways: I did not get interviews but they were important experiences. There are three important aspects in an away imo, 1) a place that you will enjoy and people take interest in keeping students involved, 2) a place where you have a chance to interview, 3) a place where you can get a strong LOR; ideally all of your aways will fit all three criteria, but whatever you do, do not neglect the first criterion, otherwise you will be miserable and will not achieve 2&3.

Reactions: 1 user
Institution: Mayo Clinic Arizona

Services: GI, CNS, GYN, Lung, Breast, GU. During my rotation I worked with one attending for 2 weeks, and a second attending for 2 weeks. I really enjoyed this schedule since I was able to see patients initially during consultation, help with treatment plans, and see them during OTVs if they had begun treatment. The rotation is quite flexible, and you are able to rotate on various services depending on your level of interest in specific areas. As a newer residency program, the PD and all of the attendings and residents are committed to making sure medical students get the most out of their rotation. Everyone is very open to including med students in interesting cases and learning opportunities throughout the department.

Presentation: A one-hour presentation is given at the conclusion of the rotation, which can be on your topic of choice. I chose to do a combination of a research talk with an area I was interested in. The entire department is invited and there was a great turnout, including all the attending physicians, residents, physics, dosimetry, nursing, and therapy staff. Friendly questioning and discussion follows after the presentation as well. The attending physicians and residents help with the presentation and will gladly go over slides, questions, etc. with you before the talk.

Research: I chose to pursue a research project while I was on my rotation, and I am very glad I was able to do so. I spoke with the Program Director prior to beginning my rotation and set up a research project that he and I felt was feasible to complete during my rotation. They have multiple projects available for medical students to be a part of, and the attendings are more than willing to have medical students involved with research if you would like to.

Role as a student: As a medical student, you will have the opportunity to be involved with seeing new consults, writing H&Ps, seeing OTVs and follow-ups, presenting to the attendings, contouring, and learning fundamental dosimetry/physics. An awesome part of the rotation is being involved with the HDR and all of IORT cases (which are great learning experiences)! Med students also present their new consults during morning conference. I felt as though I had a great amount of responsibility as a student in terms of seeing new patients and presenting my plans to the attendings. Everyone in the department is so friendly and eager to help out and answer questions. During my rotation I wanted to spend time with dosimetry and physics, and everyone was amenable to that, and more than happy to teach. Even after my Away rotation, I contacted a few of the attending physicians and the residents when I had any Rad Onc specific questions.

Didactics: One-on-one didactics with the attendings daily. If I had specific topics of interest or specific questions (including clinical, contouring, and intro physics/rad bio) they would gladly go over those with me. The didactics are appropriately tailored to a medical student level with regard to background knowledge, but also include the most recent and relevant RTOG trials and published literature. There is weekly oncology grand rounds, twice monthly Rad Onc lecture series, and monthly journal club that med students attend. Med students are encouraged to attend the Mayo Clinic Tumor Board meetings, which is a great learning experience as well. Future lectures will also include monthly proton beam lecture series. I also had the chance to go to Peds Tumor Board at Phoenix Children’s Hospital during my rotation. The physics dept. chair is also amazing and he will go over physics lecture topics with medical students as well if you are interested.

Impression: Extremely impressive department and incredibly student-friendly experience. Rotating at Mayo Clinic Arizona will provide a comprehensive introduction to the field of Rad Onc in a supportive and collegial environment. As a newer program, the attendings, residents, and the entire staff are excited to have visiting medical students rotating through. The environment is very conducive to education and learning experiences in the field of Rad Onc. Mayo Clinic is known for its commitment to education, and this was truly the case during my rotation as a medical student. The faculty members and residents are very engaged in teaching. There is ample opportunity to be involved with interesting cases and the attendings will take you with them to see cases as they come up. As a medical student you are a valuable member of the team and are encouraged to be involved with a ton of unique learning opportunities. The PD and Associate PD are outstanding to work with, and wrote me a letter of recommendation for residency at the conclusion of my rotation. I highly recommend considering an Away rotation at Mayo Clinic Arizona, I can’t say enough great things about this program!

Offered an interview: Yes, was offered an interview during the interview season.

I've already looked through this thread and others like it and it seems like some away rotations are more likely than others to offer viable research opportunities for visiting medical students. I decided pretty late in the game to pursue Radiation Oncology and while I am currently doing research at my home institution (which doesn't have a residency program), I am really focused on doing as much tangible research as possible prior to applying. I would imagine there are several others in a similar situation.

Would anyone mind identifying a list of programs that are especially known for involving visiting medical students in research?
At what point does research no longer influence residency admission decisions? Anyone have experience with providing research updates to programs during the interview season?

I recognize that the second question is a little off topic from this thread, but it seems that good letters of recommendation and research opportunities are two important considerations when choosing away rotations.

Hi all, anyone did an away at Ohio State radonc? I would really appreciate your input. Thank you!

This is an invaluable thread, i hope we can get more reviews here.

Bump. Anyone that has done an away at Vanderbilt or Northwestern that has input on their experience?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

To continue the tradition of GFunk - If anybody is interested in anonymously reviewing an away rotation, please feel free to PM it to me and I'm happy to post it in your stead.

Anonymous Review on Hopkins

Institution: Johns Hopkins

Services: GI, GU, GYN, Lymphoma. I spent 1 week on each service. I think they usually let you rotate on each service for 2 weeks but they had a higher than normal amount of rotators. However, most of the attendings wanted to get to know the students so 1 week actually worked out well.

Role of medical student: You can take on however many or few consults you want to present. You also present on follow-ups. I usually did 2-3 consults and 3-4 followups on each day. The residents do a good a job of helping to select and plan consults with you.

Didactics: There no specific lectures for medical students, but the residents got lectures in the late afternoon given by other residents and faculty members.

Presentation: There was a 30 minute presentation at the end of the rotation on a topic of your choice. Most students presented on their research. This was very well attended by residents, faculty, and the chair. The chief residents also make sure to go over it with you before you present which is nice.

Impression: Hopkins is definitely a top 10 program and is on the rise. It is getting more and more popular for students to do aways there. Overall, I had a great experience and would do it again without hesitation. There was a good mix of younger and senior attendings and they were willing to get to know the medical students which is important in getting a letter. Also, the attendings were very receptive in writing a letter for my application. One even offered to write me one. The environment is very collegial, and all of the residents I interacted with were great. They residents were awesome in letting the students out when there was no work to be done. I think the residents work 55-60 hrs/week which is typical of any top academic place. However, they seemed happy and didn’t seem too stressed. Protons will be incorporated in the curriculum in 2019.

Interview: yes, but I heard that not all rotators got one due to the high # of rotators this year.