Interview Help Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danger_zone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I completed my application about 1-2 weeks ago and I immediately started hearing back from the schools for interviews. So I actually applied to all 9 schools, and so far, I have gotten interviews from 5 schools (all without my LORs submitted). The schools are Samuel Merritt, Western U, NYCPM, Temple, and Kent State. I tried to find some interview advice in the other threads, and I keep finding this link: http://schools.studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=podiatry, however, its a broken link and won't work.

I'm basically the WORST when it comes to interviewing, and obviously I will not get into a school without doing well on the interview. So to those of you that have gone through these interviews, what are they like? What questions do they typically ask you? Are they group interviews, or are you alone with a group of interviewers, etc.? In addition, what is it that made you choose the respective school that you are attending or going to be attending?

Members don't see this ad.

- Go to SDN's homepage
- Under the "resources" tab is the "interview feedback" link

I believe all of your questions will be answered there; However, I encourage members to share their experiences here as well :)

Each school has their own unique properties but all provide you with the resources to succeed. It'll behoove you to do a pro/con list of each to determine which may be the best fit for you. Also, I believe LORs are required by all schools (except for AZPOD) to gain acceptance.

Good luck!

Everything Asksport said ^

And honestly I think you should just be yourself. I've had so many interviews over the years for jobs, programs, schools etc and that in my opinion is the best stratagy.

I guess you can look at all the questions and try to script responses etc.. But to me that makes you come off as just that: scripted. Plus you can never really anticipate what they will ask you. I've found them to be mostly behavioral based questions where you just pull from your past experiences. This can be difficult on the spot but if you're just laid back and see it as simply a conversation between you and another individual (which it is) it'll come to you and you'll just flow.

Try not to think about it much. Don't tell yourself you're not going to get in if you don't do well, that's too much pressure. It's just a conversation, you're getting into the business of talking to strangers and you're going to have to become comfortable with being uncomfortable. There's no right or wrong answers, just be yourself and show them you're a human being capable of having a conversation with another human, and let it be your time to show them the you that isn't displayed in your application.

Take a deep breath, clear your mind and go kill those interviews! You're on your way to becoming a podiatrist!!!! Good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a link that can help you with questions.

I just got back from Temple and got my acceptance from Barry where I interviewed last week. The interviews are one-on-one or two-on-one in most schools I've heard about, and the questions aren't hard. If you can answer the questions in that link then you'll have no problem in the interviews.

To tell you the truth, before I started this process I would have never told you I was a good interviewer but in both of my interviews the professors said they liked me and said I interviewed well. It's just a matter of being confident and projecting a happy sort of attitude (while being professional, of course). What Tylerwayne posted is 100% correct, it is more like a conversation than an interview so treat it as such.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your advice and help! I guess I am worrying way more than I really should be. I just never had to do an interview of such a caliber. But I will definitely take into consideration what you all have said!