Interview for Psychologist Position at Academic Med Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeiswaning

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first phone interview for a psychologist position at an academic medical center next week. The position is mostly clinical with some opportunities for research funding. Any thoughts about what I should expect, how to prepare? Any topics I should definitely (or definitely not) bring up or brush up on? Insights specific to phone interview or in-person interview are both great. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Some basic topics to cover:
1. Your actual job description including clinical and teaching or research responsibilities
2. RVU/patient volume expectations
3. How is your salary funded?
4. What percent of your time will be designated for clinical work?
5. If answer to #4 is < 100%, is the protected time hard funded or are you expected to pull in salary support?
6. Will the institution reimburse you for conference travel/CE/licensure fees/memberships? If so, how much?

It's always helpful to find out how a position came to be in the first place. Maybe you're replacing someone who has moved on. Or maybe a service line or program is expanding to meet demand (an encouraging sign). Or maybe you would be the first in a brand-new position (in which case it's important to make sure that expectations are realistic, they know what a psychologist actually does, etc.). Take time to learn about the history of any job you consider.

Reactions: 2 users