Interview Day Acceptances Must End!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrfeet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading some of the interview feedback on the SDN and I noticed how several students had given schools negative feedback due to being offered acceptances on the day of their interview.

Now, I don't want to name any schools, but I am aware that this is still a practice at several of them. These schools invite students for interviews and then at the end of the day offer them a letter of acceptance. One school that I interviewed at (which will remain nameless) told me even before the interview that I had already been accepted by virtue of my being invited for an interview. I thought to myself: what's the point of interviewing then?

If we want to raise the standards of our podiatric medical schools, then practices such as this can be no more. I assure you that no MD/DO/DDS/OD school accepts students on the day of their interview. Heck, I have a friend in chiropractic school, and he didn't find out he was accepted until weeks after his interview.

I think that this is yet another issue that should be discussed at the upcoming APMSA meeting. No school should offer acceptances on the spot. I believe that this greatly diminishes the podiatry profession, its educational standards, and the reputation of our schools.

I welcome discussion on this topic.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in 100% agreement. I had this discussion with the higher powers. I told them that I would like to see more discussion over applicants instead of you met the bare minimum so you are in. I would like to see each school create an admissions panel and change the process to something similar to allopathic med.

I haven't applied yet (this sept i will), but i agree. Yes, it would be nice if my #1 school accepts me right away. but i think it would be awkward if a school accepts me before i even interview with my #1 school. I think a letter would be fine a few weeks later. I would feel pressured on that day to make a commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
funfeet said:
I would feel pressured on that day to make a commitment.

I think that is why they do it. If you go other places, you might see that they are not as good as they told you.

I was looking at the interview feedbacks, though there are few, most all interviewed in late winter or spring. I plan on applying right away. Do interviews happen in the fall at all? It just seems like it would be awhile to get an interview and I dont want to get worried if it takes awhile. So if I apply in September, when should I expect to get an interview?

funfeet said:
I was looking at the interview feedbacks, though there are few, most all interviewed in late winter or spring. I plan on applying right away. Do interviews happen in the fall at all? It just seems like it would be awhile to get an interview and I dont want to get worried if it takes awhile. So if I apply in September, when should I expect to get an interview?

I applied in September, and by the end of October I had been offered six interviews. Interviews do happen in the fall. In fact, you are better off to apply early as you have planned to do. The earlier you apply, the fewer seats have been filled and you have a good chance of getting accepted.

Also, try to schedule your interviews close together. The reason for doing this is because when a school accepts you they typically give you 30 days to make a decision. After 30 days they will not accept you. If your interviews are close together then you won't be affected by this 30 day rule. Whereas if you get accepted to your #2 choice and your #1 choice interview isn't for another 3 months, you might run the risk of not getting in anywhere if you wait too long.

mrfeet said:
I applied in September, and by the end of October I had been offered six interviews. Interviews do happen in the fall. In fact, you are better off to apply early as you have planned to do. The earlier you apply, the fewer seats have been filled and you have a good chance of getting accepted.

Also, try to schedule your interviews close together. The reason for doing this is because when a school accepts you they typically give you 30 days to make a decision. After 30 days they will not accept you. If your interviews are close together then you won't be affected by this 30 day rule. Whereas if you get accepted to your #2 choice and your #1 choice interview isn't for another 3 months, you might run the risk of not getting in anywhere if you wait too long.

:thumbup:

I say make them wait too.

The same goes for posting grades in pod school. There shouldn't be an immediate gratification of knowing your grade right away ie posting answers, quickly grading tests.

I think every school should have a minimum of 36 hours before posting grades.

Why? Well, because for starters by making the entire class wait for the grades to be posted in my opinion allows for the class to:

1. Bond by relating to each other and learning more about each other
2. Decompress
3. Learn a more about the material after the test by talking about mistakes and sharing ideas
4. Develop a tolerance for anticipation and anxiety
5. Learn that life is uncertain and things take time to unfold

I guess people needs to understand that the number of students applying to podiatry schools is no where near MD/DO/DDS schools - also podiatry schools like any other school is about $$$ - if there is not enough students = they will shut down the next day - debated as much as you guys want - but we are in podiatry school and we know exactly what is going on - let's be real people.

Dr. Foot said:
I guess people needs to understand that the number of students applying to podiatry schools is no where near MD/DO/DDS schools - also podiatry schools like any other school is about $$$ - if there is not enough students = they will shut down the next day - debated as much as you guys want - but we are in podiatry school and we know exactly what is going on - let's be real people.

You bring up a good point. That is why schools such as DMU and AZPOD are so competitive. They can afford to be picky because they are not tuition dependent. The DO program is the "cash cow" and accounts for a huge portion of the finances, not to mention the other programs. The more integrated the other schools become with other major medical programs, the less they will depend on $$$, and the easier it will become to raise the admissions standards.

As of now, if some of the schools don't accept every warm body that applies, they will fold.

jonwill said:
You bring up a good point. That is why schools such as DMU and AZPOD are so competitive. They can afford to be picky because they are not tuition dependent. The DO program is the "cash cow" and accounts for a huge portion of the finances, not to mention the other programs. The more integrated the other schools become with other major medical programs, the less they will depend on $$$, and the easier it will become to raise the admissions standards.

As of now, if some of the schools don't accept every warm body that applies, they will fold.

It is for the reason of dependency that ALL schools need to be affiliated with universities and/or medical schools! The bottom line is that as long as schools are autonomous and do not have a university or medical school helping lend financial support to them, they will continue with these practices, which diminish the reputation of the podiatric medical field.

Also, if schools were to become affiliated and not be so "tuition dependent," then schools could make class sizes smaller, which would in turn create more competition for admission and subsequently would result in higher standards.

funfeet said:

Funfeet- I applied the first week the applications were out last fall. Essentially I had interviews at all the schools I applied to by the end of September. Most of my interviews were scheduled end of October/early November. You usually hear back from the schools relatively soon after you file your application and then they give you their interview dates. Some schools start interviewing in the end of September or early October.

I agree as well.

I mean, yeah it did feel good, but once I found out everyone else got in as well (people I interviewed with that day)... i really felt, "what the hell was the damn point?"

I guess its more so to weed out people with severe social disabilities... still it really diminishes our reputations.

just to add to the discussion. im new at this too so dont crucify me..

i applied to dentistry and to POD schools... Funny enough the only school to accept on the spot was NYU Dentistry.. I did very very very well on the DATs which is prob why.. i just wanted to let u guys know that this type of stuff was happening in other schools too..

FYI:
I chose pod school bc the outlook on the profession is very bright in my opinion and bc I am in love with the sports medicine aspect.also a pod i shadowed was makin $$$....

Podiatry Rocks.

I posted this 3 or 4 years ago, but it fits nicely in this thread so I'll bring it up again. I was accepted to a podiatry school without even applying to podiatry schools (this was in 2002).

I doubt that is normal, and even if it was at one point I highly doubt that is happening at any schools anymore, but I thought it was worth mentioning for the discussion that is happening here.

ItsGavinC said:
I posted this 3 or 4 years ago, but it fits nicely in this thread so I'll bring it up again. I was accepted to a podiatry school without even applying to podiatry schools (this was in 2002).

I doubt that is normal, and even if it was at one point I highly doubt that is happening at any schools anymore, but I thought it was worth mentioning for the discussion that is happening here.

According to the AACPM, the 2001 and 2002 cycles were Podiatry School's really low points with only 401 applicants total for all 8 schools in 2001 and 430 in 2002. That is really interesting though, didn't know they actually got so desparate and began accepting ppl who didn't even apply. However, the applicant pool for Pod is starting to increase as it has for all health professions, which is a good thing. With a higher increase of applicants, same day acceptances will most likely end

I think POD is next in line after Dental gets saturated, especially with the ease of getting into residencies it is the next best thing or possibly the best thing. POD will skyrocket with admissions in the next few years once the stats for dental skyrocket which they almost are. Theres only 8 schools for POD 50+ for dental. I think competition will kick in the next few years for POD.

peapod said:
just to add to the discussion. im new at this too so dont crucify me..

i applied to dentistry and to POD schools... Funny enough the only school to accept on the spot was NYU Dentistry.. I did very very very well on the DATs which is prob why.. i just wanted to let u guys know that this type of stuff was happening in other schools too..

FYI:
I chose pod school bc the outlook on the profession is very bright in my opinion and bc I am in love with the sports medicine aspect.also a pod i shadowed was makin $$$....

NYU dentistry from what I have heard will accept anyone who can pay the crazy money they charge.

any one with a decent DAT score can get into a cheaper school. this is ust what I have heard.

Careful now, NYCPM is not much better. You are quite aware that if you say anything negative about NYCPM, your administration will sue. Just a warning.

krabmas said:
NYU dentistry from what I have heard will accept anyone who can pay the crazy money they charge.

any one with a decent DAT score can get into a cheaper school. this is ust what I have heard.

Footfxr said:
Careful now, NYCPM is not much better. You are quite aware that if you say anything negative about NYCPM, your administration will sue. Just a warning.

how would you know about that?

it wasn't negative comments it was erroneous information.