Match Day 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is about Match Day 2022. March 14th is not too far from now. By this time, the students in the Class of 22 have already completed or are in the process of completing their rankings. Please don't just rank one program and call it a day; rank several, esp the ones you interviewed at.

2022 CASPR Schedule: https://aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2022-CASPR-Schedule_REVISED.pdf

Post anything related to the match (in the order below). And, in time we can post the stats from AACPM. Good luck, everyone! :cool:

# of Programs Applied:

# of Programs Ranked:

# of Interviews Attended:

Name of Matched Program (to keep things anonymous, you can write the State you are placed in)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Gonna be such an incredibly long 1.5 months.
It’s just nonstop gossip about programs/so and so program told me this/blah blah blah mixed in with some lies.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s just nonstop gossip about programs/so and so program told me this/blah blah blah mixed in with some lies.
Its even funnier when the big talkers in your class end up lower than they expected and play it off.

Just wait for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard match rates include the stats after first post-scramble. So that is why schools boast 98-100% match rates.

The real question, is what percent of students have to do the first scramble? Is it 5%, 10%, 20%, etc.?

I've heard match rates include the stats after first post-scramble. So that is why schools boast 98-100% match rates.

The real question, is what percent of students have to do the first scramble? Is it 5%, 10%, 20%, etc.?

It's very low. You can see the numbers from last years match in this thread; scroll down to the post where I posted the early stats:

Reactions: 1 user

Don't spend any time or energy with this stuff. I enjoyed my time off even though I was still on off-rotations. Let the results and hard work do the talking in the end :)

I'm over here living my life... enjoying all of this free time off. I submitted my ranking but not too stressed. I'm sure I'll feel a lot more anxious when the first week of March rolls around. Feels so far away at the moment! Hope you all can relax a bit too :)

I'm too burnt out from interviews and boards to even worry about matching at this moment. I'm just enjoying my time off and focusing on my own health before residency starts.

When the time comes, I'll stress out about it again lol.

Are you guys done for the rest of the school year at Kent?
Yes, most of us are done. Some still have an externship this month, the rest of us are done with them. We have one small virtual class in March. How about you? DMU right?

Yes, most of us are done. Some still have an externship this month, the rest of us are done with them. We have one small virtual class in March. How about you? DMU right?
I didn't know that you can be done with 4 months left in a school year. At DMU you might or might not be done until graduation. Only 1 month off you may schedule anywhere during 4th year.

We didn't really have any breaks after 2nd year Christmas time and did not have dedicated time for boards. That has changed now so I'm not sure if the schedule is different after this year. If I had to do it all over again, I'd keep it this way. That's mostly because I'm burned out now lol.

Do programs usually put their rankings in on the first day ranking starts and if so is it common for them to change ranking order before the deadline ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know that you can be done with 4 months left in a school year. At DMU you might or might not be done until graduation. Only 1 month off you may schedule anywhere during 4th year.
I scheduled my core at phoenix VA for last quarter. 3 months in Phoenix with minimal work. Was on autopilot a d well needed rest.

Am I correct that we only have 4 hours after match status on Monday to select new places to apply to if we scramble?

That seems so short. lol

And do we have to interview again or anything? Theres essentially just 1.5 days between the 14th when scramble apps are delivered and the 16th when rounds start. It would be a PITA to have to leave my rotation and change and interview and then come back etc etc. Or is scramble more based solely on GPA since programs don't really have time to interview during the scramble?

Am I correct that we only have 4 hours after match status on Monday to select new places to apply to if we scramble?

That seems so short. lol

And do we have to interview again or anything? Theres essentially just 1.5 days between the 14th when scramble apps are delivered and the 16th when rounds start. It would be a PITA to have to leave my rotation and change and interview and then come back etc etc. Or is scramble more based solely on GPA since programs don't really have time to interview during the scramble?
It is a cut throat free for all based on back room phone calls and who can snatch up the best subjective applicants the quickest.

If you are scrambling you will be completely released from your current rotation until the scramble is complete. Your current rotation doesn't matter. Finding a spot in the scramble will determine your future. Yes, you will be interviewed. If you find out you didn't match you immediately get somewhere with reliable internet, a suit and tie and you install skype or whatever video apps are most common. Anything is fair game. If someone says the spot is yours if you drive here - think about it. The vast majority of the spots will be NY and VA programs that scramble every year. Your goal is to find one of the decent programs that slipped through. Good luck.

It is a cut throat free for all based on back room phone calls and who can snatch up the best subjective applicants the quickest.
LOL

I love how the CASPR MPII video and the document on how it works keeps repeating not to contact the programs or else it will be "investigated" haha.

Wishing yall the best. I'm not going through it yet but I feel like cryin and throwin up just thinking about it for yall.

LOL

I love how the CASPR MPII video and the document on how it works keeps repeating not to contact the programs or else it will be "investigated" haha.
I asked my school if basically we should contact programs in the case of a scramble… it was just a lot of beating around the bush

Not sure why I expected anything else

I scheduled my core at phoenix VA for last quarter. 3 months in Phoenix with minimal work. Was on autopilot a d well needed rest.

Minimal work? I rotated there over 10 years ago, but that clinic was absolutely slammed all-day everyday. I guess the off-service rotations were better.

The free food was nice though, except for the day they served this thing:

Attachments

• yum.jpg
    yum.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 112
I was told Oklahoma City was an amazing 4th core 3 monther back in the day. The person described it as "surgery till noon every day, and then lifting weights all afternoon". Stupidly didn't pick it do to DMU rotations director advice.

Does anyone have access to the MPII list, I can't access it but I would really like to see the programs listed on their

Good luck to everyone! Congrats to those who matched!

If you’re in the scramble, don’t sweat too much. You can still get a decent program. My advice would be to reach out to upperclassmen and find out what programs they have heard scrambled and which ones they’d recommend.

On average how many people have to scramble? You got me nervous.

It seems that link is for open spots from last years scramble
what is the column titled “ ADVANCED YEAR (PGY 2 & 3) POSITIONS” referring too ? Does this mean a 2nd or 3 rd year resident lost a position at that specific residency ?

what is the column titled “ ADVANCED YEAR (PGY 2 & 3) POSITIONS” referring too ? Does this mean a 2nd or 3 rd year resident lost a position at that specific residency ?
It can be that someone transferred out (or was kicked out)... but it is more likely the program didn't fill it a year or two ago, and it's still vacant.

There are some really good programs this year on the scramble list. Also, it seems a lot of VA's filled that tend to always scramble. None of this makes sense to me. lol

Last edited:
If you are in the scramble but are above average on paper, this is a great year to not match. There are a few excellent and several very good programs on there.

West Penn, UPMC, Swedish, Medstar didn't fill their seats? How come? People don't want to go there?

West Penn, UPMC, Swedish, Medstar didn't fill their seats? How come? People don't want to go there?
Something weird happened this year. All of CA, TX, and basically FL got filled this year. All those states have so many programs, that you would think atleast a few would scramble, but nope. I don't even see that many Veterans Affairs hospitals scrambling this year either.

I wonder if a bunch of people played it safe and ranked based on ease of getting in maybe? idk. its just odd.

Last edited:
Something weird happened this year. All of CA, TX, and basically FL got filled this year. All those states have so many programs, that you would think atleast a few would scramble, but nope. I don't even see that many Veterans Affairs hospitals scrambling this year either.

I wonder if a bunch of people played it safe and ranked based on ease of getting in maybe? idk. its just odd.
I know a few of my friends played it safe this year & some of the programs they really wanted are on that list. Several people that scrambled at my school I think just didn't rank enough programs. Great students, normal in person, and I think they thought they had a spot somewhere.

I'm hearing through the grape vine from upperclassman about lies and deceptions that took place and empty promises

From my experience, a lot of the "big name" programs are actually pretty terrible. Not surprised we see some of them scramble every year. If you look hard enough you'll find some hidden gems programs where you will get superior training

From my experience, a lot of the "big name" programs are actually pretty terrible. Not surprised we see some of them scramble every year. If you look hard enough you'll find some hidden gems programs where you will get superior training
Terrible in what way?