Interview at the Cloister....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jes1ca

OP Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else headed to interview there in March or have any tips for the interview? i'd appreciate any insight. i'm really hoping that i can get into this program!

thanks,
jessica

Members don't see this ad.

be yourself, know your research well and have a solid plan in line for your intended year. You will definately enjoy the program, the students in the program and the DC area. Congratulations

Hey, I'll be there too, I think :eek: I got an interview invite from teh CRTP program, and in that they mentioned that I was also interviewing for the HHMI-NIH program, although, I have not formally heard from the cloister--I'm hoping it's legit. Have you officially heard from the cloister?

Members don't see this ad :)
HiddenTruth said:
Hey, I'll be there too, I think :eek: I got an interview invite from teh CRTP program, and in that they mentioned that I was also interviewing for the HHMI-NIH program, although, I have not formally heard from the cloister--I'm hoping it's legit. Have you officially heard from the cloister?

I got an e-mail yesterday. They said that they would send a letter via certified mail on monday. Congrats on your interviews. CRTP sounds like a really good experience too!
Jessica

I interviewed there last weekend. The HHMI Conference Center is extremely nice. The food was really good too!!! Other than the seemingly never-ending wait to find out if i'm in or not, it is a pretty enjoyable experience.

TrojanDoctor said:
I interviewed there last weekend. The HHMI Conference Center is extremely nice. The food was really good too!!! Other than the seemingly never-ending wait to find out if i'm in or not, it is a pretty enjoyable experience.

Congrats to everyone on getting your interviews! I applied for the program this year also but unfortunately didn't get an interview. I was hoping you all could share a bit about your applications or backgrounds, just to give me an idea of what type of student they are looking for? I am an MSII with some research background (no publications) and near the top of my class. I don't go to a big research university so my options for research are kind of limited, which is why I was really hoping to get into this program. I would reapply next year but I don't really know what they are looking for in an applicant, so I don't want to waste my time. Any advice/info would be very helpful. Thanks, goodluck in your interviews, give em hell!!! :thumbup:

hey everyone,

i echo the last post...im an M1 and im really interested in the program. any info about your backgrounds, research experience, publications, or tips on how to make your app good would be awesome.

thanks.

chitown82 said:
hey everyone,

i echo the last post...im an M1 and im really interested in the program. any info about your backgrounds, research experience, publications, or tips on how to make your app good would be awesome.

thanks.

I don't go to a research powerhouse either--I interviewed this year for CRTP, HHMI, and multiple doris duke programs (will find out tomorrow). And, I didn't have any official publications--I did have a poster presentation at a major meeting and a couple small school presentations, but I THINK it's your letters and personal statement that goes a long ways...I had good grades first two years, but I don't know how much that factors in--I also spent a summer at a top 5 med school where I did some research, and I feel that my letter from there (which was incredibly strong) went a long ways. I felt that all my letters were really strong, speaking of my ability and potential to become an academic physician (which is what they want to produce or enocourage out of these programs)--the interviews for HHMI were super intense though..it was like being drilled for 30-40 mins re: your research and anything you may have written in your app or personal statement--will find out tomorrow though. I think it is kind of random...I felt the NIH itnerviews were more like you were trying to impress them (esp HHMI), where as most of the doris dukes ones were mutual...like they wanted to make sure that they had a suitable mentor and that u had a "match" with one of them on the interviews...hope this helps, sorry it's really vague, but I really don't know much beyond that.

I honestly have no idea what they are looking for. I really hope that I get in, but who really knows. I don't feel like my interviews went that well. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

HiddenTruth said:
I don't go to a research powerhouse either--I interviewed this year for CRTP, HHMI, and multiple doris duke programs (will find out tomorrow). And, I didn't have any official publications--I did have a poster presentation at a major meeting and a couple small school presentations, but I THINK it's your letters and personal statement that goes a long ways...I had good grades first two years, but I don't know how much that factors in--I also spent a summer at a top 5 med school where I did some research, and I feel that my letter from there (which was incredibly strong) went a long ways. I felt that all my letters were really strong, speaking of my ability and potential to become an academic physician (which is what they want to produce or enocourage out of these programs)--the interviews for HHMI were super intense though..it was like being drilled for 30-40 mins re: your research and anything you may have written in your app or personal statement--will find out tomorrow though. I think it is kind of random...I felt the NIH itnerviews were more like you were trying to impress them (esp HHMI), where as most of the doris dukes ones were mutual...like they wanted to make sure that they had a suitable mentor and that u had a "match" with one of them on the interviews...hope this helps, sorry it's really vague, but I really don't know much beyond that.

jes1ca said:
I honestly have no idea what they are looking for. I really hope that I get in, but who really knows. I don't feel like my interviews went that well. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Anyone going? I got the news today that I'll be there next year!

jes1ca said:
Anyone going? I got the news today that I'll be there next year!

Did you also interview with the Fogarty/Ellison program?