Howard Hughes Research Scholars-Cloister

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TIMMY

I search after truth....
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2nd year MD student with decent undergrad research expereince+ 1 publication. Interested in academic medicine with research and was wondering how competitive this program is in terms of MCAT scores, research experience, publicatons?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

TIMMY said:
2nd year MD student with decent undergrad research expereince+ 1 publication. Interested in academic medicine with research and was wondering how competitive this program is in terms of MCAT scores, research experience, publicatons?
Any advice will be appreciated.

There was a HHMI scholar in my lab at the NHGRI and from what he told me, it was basically based on research experience, not so much mcat scores.

I'm curious about the Howard Hughes program myself...is this the same as doing a stent at the NIH? I'm wondering if taking a year off to do research will improve my chances of getting into the "name-brand" neurosurgery residencies (i.e. Hopkins, Harvard, Columbia, etc.)? I figure these places want to produce academians and research is key to getting in...any input?