Interview 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sapience, not heard anything from USF yet...and I am from there. Apparently many places still think that this is early...some profs say that many places wait for the MSPEs. Due to a much smaller applicant pool (say compared with IM, etc) path interviews as a whole start later/end earlier. (Apparently.)

Oh, and I read my MSPE the other day...nothing special, just an introductory paragraph (Mr X is from blah, went to blah for undergrad, blah) a rehash of all my 3rd year evals and a final wrap up (in summary, Mr blah is cool and I highly recommend him for your residency) paragraph.

So right about waiting for the 'favorite' application...UTSW anyone?

Beans
Regarding UTSW - We interview 80 applicants for 8-10 spots - 8 AP/CP and 2 CP, although we are not compelled to fill the 2 CP slots; we fill them only when we get really stellar CP-only applicants. For instance, last year, we did not rank anybody for these 2 slots.

I think we have filled only half (approximately 40) of our interview slots so there are a lot more people who will get invites in the next month or so.

Let me know if you have any questions about our program and/or Dallas.

Members don't see this ad.

Can any one give me some information about university of new mexico program

This is one of top programs I interviewed with. The people there are very nice and residents look happy. The program matches 1 out of 4 in 2005 in the main match. Last year I believe they increased the number of interviews with many IMG having pathology and/or research background to fill all positions in the main match and they did. I am sure you will enjoy your visit to the program and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
this year they are interviewing 8 people for each positions so 32 people in total. Well who says path isnt competitive:rolleyes:

UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson by email only this week.

Still waiting on philly programs, emory, BU, and others in PA (Conemaugh/Penn State).

I have all my stuff in except for one LOR, and it's the only one in my app from a pathologist (the other 3 are from anesthesia faculty with whom I worked in my prior residency, including my PD). I keep nagging him to get it in and he keeps forgetting:D .

He offered to write it for me back in august; I'm beginning to think it is holding up my other applications. I'm desperate to get it in before November 1st so programs can download it along with my MSPE.

Congrats to all on their invites!

Ah, a rejection from JHU, my dad and sister's undergrad alma mater!:cool:

Still, I'm really happy to have gotten an invite from Robert Wood Johnson, they have an excellent program...

This might be the time for one of those, "Thank you again for agreeing to write my LOR, my application is now complete and I am looking forward to the start of interviews," emails/letters...

i'm done with step 2!!!! all of it....just got back from CS and for those who haven't taken it, all you need is first aid for cs.

anyway, interviews from ucsd, dartmouth and nyu

Just finished Step 2CK. Feel like I'm back in 5th grade and the school bully has stolen my luch money and given me an atomic...You get the point. :oops:

Step 2CS in December and then I can join the ranks of Sequela in celebrating the completion of this right-of-passage. :thumbup:

E-Mo

Would I sound like a total jerk if I said that I grandfathered out of Step 2 CK?:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Being done with CK & CS is a HUGE weight off your shoulders...

I agree with Sequela...First Aid for CS is all you really need...two weeks with it and you'll be golden.

i'm done with step 2!!!! all of it....just got back from CS and for those who haven't taken it, all you need is first aid for cs.

anyway, interviews from ucsd, dartmouth and nyu

I heard a rumor today that step II CS is being eliminated...Not sure I believe it though.

I can't believe that they make students pay for the test, as well as travel expenses.

It would make a lot more sense to incorporate CK into Step 3, instead.

If you would automatically be accepted to any path residency what would be your program of choice and why?

I heard a rumor today that step II CS is being eliminated...Not sure I believe it though.

PLEEEEEEEZ don't give me hope! :) (I need to want to study for that exam without that rumor. If there are any changes, then they will occur next year.)

If you would automatically be accepted to any path residency what would be your program of choice and why?

Oooo, good question. I could answer based on location, but it's about more than that. I want a nice location, but I want to find the program that is right for me. I will have to wait until after interviews to answer this one.

E-Mo

HA!

Just think of me as an old, old relic :p ...

i have wondered about this, and asked around quite a bit, but it appears that the test will be required for 2007 graduates...and to make it more challenging they were supposed to have made it "harder" this year in terms of grading. (i guess the biggest complaint was that it was "so easy" and everyone passes, so what's the point???)

we'll see. my fear is that it will not be eliminated but rather, that they will make it harder to pass.

it's always something....there is always going to be some hoop to jump in this god-foresaken profession.

For those of you interested in UVA, the institutional probation was lifted today, so no more worries on that front.

For those of you interested in UVA, the institutional probation was lifted today, so no more worries on that front.

I was very glad to see that probation lifted even though it had nothing to do with the path dept. :) (My wife was very suspicious at first but is now very satisfied that the issue was dealt without delay. I cannot wait to visit.)

*bump*

...it's all too quiet on this thread...

Hopefully it will liven up once the MSPE's are released!

Good luck to everyone who has started their interview season:D

First one next week!

Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburg-11/3.

Need to make a hotel reservation....

I got an informational/promotional package from Duke today that included a hotel brochure. I don't remember them ever specifically saying they'd pay for a night. The brochure doesn't mention a discount for residency applicants. Does anyone else recall, or is this just a recommendation and I'm out another hundred bucks?

Also got a similar package from Vanderbilt last week. I wish more programs would send these out because it's nice to have all that info put together in one place. Weather, traffic, jobs, things to do and see, places to eat, local govt, etc.

Hey all. It has been quite on this thread. Maybe everyone is taking a vacation from SDN before their interview season.

As far as new news goes: one new invite, two new rejections :oops:

I've heard from 1/2 of the programs I applied too. I'm thinking the other half are either taking their sweet time, or waiting on the MSPE.

Remaining programs that I most want to hear from: UVa, Wake, and UF Gainesville.

Looking forward to the interview thread starting soon.

E-Mo

I got an informational/promotional package from Duke today that included a hotel brochure. I don't remember them ever specifically saying they'd pay for a night. The brochure doesn't mention a discount for residency applicants. Does anyone else recall, or is this just a recommendation and I'm out another hundred bucks?

Also got a similar package from Vanderbilt last week. I wish more programs would send these out because it's nice to have all that info put together in one place. Weather, traffic, jobs, things to do and see, places to eat, local govt, etc.

I'm pretty sure they pay for your stay.. wouldn't hurt to send a confirmatory email though.

MCG by email, scheduled for 11/27.

This is MCG's first round of invites. Interviewing on Monday's and Thursdays; at most 3-4/day.

Good luck to all those interested in MCG's program! :thumbup:

E-Mo

Duke pays for one night's lodging. Vanderbilt does as well and you should have received an e-mail with a confirmation number for the Hampton Inn and Suites. If not, I would e-mail the residency coordinator.

Hey all. It has been quite on this thread. Maybe everyone is taking a vacation from SDN before their interview season.

As far as new news goes: one new invite, two new rejections :oops:

I've heard from 1/2 of the programs I applied too. I'm thinking the other half are either taking their sweet time, or waiting on the MSPE.

Remaining programs that I most want to hear from: UVa, Wake, and UF Gainesville.

Looking forward to the interview thread starting soon.

E-Mo

congrats on the invite! just curious but where did you get rejected? sorry to hear. well it's quiet for me. i'm waiting on MCG, MCV, UNC, Wake, UFl- Gainesville. I'm guessing i'll hear after nov 1.

Recapping to date:

Invites: UAB, Baptist HS, Orlando, Emory, MCG, UT Knoxville, WVU (declined)
Rejections :oops: : Duke, Vandy, MUSC, UNC

Waiting to hear: UF Jacksonville, UF Gainesville, UT Memphis, Univ. South Alabama, Wake, UVa, East Carolina, and MCV

E-Mo

To anyone waiting on OHSU-
A student I am rotating with contacted them to try to coordinate interviews on the west coast and was informed that they wont be sending invites out for another 2 weeks.

Stupid phone. It didn't show that I had a voicemail--an invitation from UT Memphis from about 5 days ago. Grrrr. But on the other hand, how many programs don't send email or snail mail but rely solely on the phones?

Oh well, I'm not really upset. Probably will turn this one down, though working at St Jude would be cool.

Has anybody here ever lived in Memphis?

Totals so far:
Interviews I plan to attend: Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, UTSW, UT Houston, Methodist, Emory, UAB, Vanderbilt, MUSC
Turned down/withdrew app: UF Gainesville, UVA, MCV, UT Memphis
Still waiting: UAMS, Baylor H-town, Baylor Big D

click here- when did you turn down MCV? I am sooo waiting for them

Well Nov 1st is 1 week away. our dean's letter will be uploaded sunday- monday.

My recap:

invites & going: DUke, UVA, MUSC, Emory, USF, UAB, Vanderbilt, San Antonio, ORHS
canceled: JAX
may cancel: ECU
still waiting on to accept: UNC, MCV
still waiting on but proably won't go: UFL- Gainesville, MCG (maybe), Wake (maybe)

has anyone had any interviews yet? i guess you might not tell....

It has been a seriously quiet past couple of weeks for me. So far:

Interviews which I will attend: UVA, Iowa, Mayo, Stanford, Utah, Cleveland Clinic, and UNC.

Haven't heard squat: U. of Washington

My first interview is coming up next week. I'm looking forward to it.

Interviews which I will attend: UVA, Iowa, Mayo, Stanford, Utah, Cleveland Clinic, and UNC.

Did everyone get the email from U of Wash about their website being updated? I was hoping it would be an interview invite. :(

Hi, I'm a new member, amg, and I too am crapping myself over the insane waiting...

so far I've got Mt.Sinai, BU, NYU, and UC irvine.

Still anxiously waiting for my top 2 choices, but I didn't submit my app until 9/27 and just got my last rec letter in today. The only thing I can't figure out is why i got an interview at Mt. Sinai with only 1 LOR in, and I still haven't heard from "less competitive" places that are in my top 5...any thoughts?

Second question- NYU offered only 2 interview dates, both Saturdays, in late Nov. and early Dec. Has anyone else gotten different dates from them?

Good luck everyone, I totally feel your pain.:eek:

Did everyone get the email from U of Wash about their website being updated? I was hoping it would be an interview invite. :(

Yes. Keep your chin up! :)

Good to hear from you! I'm sure you'll knock them dead at all your interviews. Just give UWash a little more time. (I know the feeling with Brigham...it took 3weeks to hear from them after they first sent out invites.)

Interviews Received: George Washington, New Mexico, St. Louis U, Wash U, and Utah.

Waiting On: Hopkins, UW, and Georgetown

First interview coming up at Wash U in 2 weeks. I need to get to the Men's Wearhouse and buy that new interview suit. I hope I like the way I look.

Yes. Keep your chin up! :)

Good to hear from you! I'm sure you'll knock them dead at all your interviews. Just give UWash a little more time. (I know the feeling with Brigham...it took 3weeks to hear from them after they first sent out invites.)

Thanks for the encouragement. :) The past two weeks have been way to quiet. Hopefully things will pick up soon.
On a happy note I just booked a cruise for my honeymoon!

Could someone please post that they recieved something soon because I'm in agony dying out here waiting to here from programs. :smuggrin: I think the letters are going to get rubbed off of my keyboard soon I'm checking my email so much.

Could someone please post that they recieved something soon because I'm in agony dying out here waiting to here from programs. :smuggrin: I think the letters are going to get rubbed off of my keyboard soon I'm checking my email so much.

Just wait until early November. Programs seem to be waiting for the MSPE. :luck:

I am applying to mostly west coast/mountain programs, and believe me, it was quite painful watching the East coast/Southern programs send out invites like there was no tomorrow. Serenity NOW!

On a side note, what do you all think of the later-inviting programs? Personally, I find myself less apt to schedule and interview at a place that I found to be in the "middle" of my list after having heard from other places, whereas had they emailed early on I may have been more inclined to interview there. I am just glad that I will get my East coast interviews done in one trip and save mad loot (as well as avoid colder temps in December)!

Anyway...
Invited and going: UCSF, Stanford, UWash, Brigham, BIDMC, MGH, Cornell, UCSD
Invited and not going: UC Davis
Not heard from: OHSU, UCLA, USC, Columbia, Colorado, U of Arizona

I'll be in Boston from Nov 16- Nov 22, so if anyone will be around and wants to grab a drink PM me.

The only thing I can't figure out is why i got an interview at Mt. Sinai with only 1 LOR in, and I still haven't heard from "less competitive" places that are in my top 5...any thoughts?

This is what happend to me. i don't understand it. unless these places are larger and just interview more people anyway.

I guess since I read this thread every day I should contribute.:oops:

Invites so far::thumbup:
UNM
George Wash U
Boston U
Ohio State
St. Joseph's (Phoenix, AZ)
U of Hawaii
UC Davis
USC
Cedars-Sinai
UC Irvine
UCSD

Rejected From::thumbdown:
Brig
NIH
Johns Hopkins
UCSF

Soon to be rejected from::laugh:
Stanford
Harvard
(it was worth a try, right?):p

Still really want to hear from::confused:
U of Colorado
Penrose
Oregon
UCLA (both)
Loma Linda

Then there's some others that still haven't contacted me and I don't really care. You snooze, you lose! :)