Interventional radiology still possible with USMLE step 1 of 227?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opthalmoplegia

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Are my hopes of being a interventional radiologist dashed with an abysmal score of 227/82? Or could I still get if I apply broadly and do well on clinical rotations and usmle step 2ck?

Members don't see this ad.

it's not over for you. Apply broadly, work hard and you'll most likely be fine. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lose the faith. I had written my chances off completely with a 222 but nonetheless applied and ultimately matched into a well respected IR program

is it possible to go straight into IR? I thought it was only a fellowship off of Radiology and Neurosurg

is it possible to go straight into IR? I thought it was only a fellowship off of Radiology and Neurosurg

I will give you some quick starting info. I suggest you research the procedures and scope of practice for each to get a better feel of the fields.

1. IR is a fellowship of radiology. There are some places which have a direct training path but this still includes diagnostic radiology training.

2. Interventional neuro is a fellowship of neuroradiology (which is a fellowship of radiology), neurosurgery, and neurology. There is some debate as to the best path and, in my opinion, neurosurgery is the best way to go if you want to do interventional neuro.

3. Interventional cardiology is a fellowship of cardiology (which is a fellowship of internal medicine).

4. There are also new interventional fields out there such as interventional nephrology, pulmonology, etc.

5. Vascular surgery (a fellowship of general surgery or a separate residency in and of itself) does a good amount of endovascular/interventional work.

6. I have also seen cardiothoracic surgery doing some interventional/minimally invasive procedures such as esophageal stent placements.