Recently Matched into Surgery Prelim and currently looking for radiology or interventional radiology PGY2 (R1) opening that starts June/July 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiologyinterest

Reaction score
Currently rounding up 4th year at a US medical school and recently matched into surgery preliminary program and would like to secure a radiology or interventional radiology open position (PGY2/R1). If anyone have a lead or advice, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently rounding up 4th year at a US medical school and recently matched into surgery preliminary program and would like to secure a radiology or interventional radiology open position (PGY2/R1). If anyone have a lead or advice, please let me know.
Hello good luck in your search. I am interested in doing radiology, I’m wondering what the process is. I’m going into 4th year and I am confused about doing prelim first, do I apply to prelim surgery or IM first for 2021 and then in 2021 apply for 4 year rad program for 2022? Thank you!

Well your best bet is finding an open PGY2 (R1) DR position which can be hard to come by especially if you're set on a desirable location. Next you'd try to slide into an ESIR spot at that given DR program. It isn't realistic to think you'll "secure" an Integrated IR position, it's one of the most (if not the most) competitive residencies with only ~150 spots available in the country. DR is very competitive as well, but just playing the numbers game there are ~950 spots and chances are a few positions will open up every year. Out of curiosity, what residency did you apply for initially? It'll help you tremendously during your prelim year to rotate on a DR/IR elective and get a recommendation letter to bolster your chances.

Reactions: 1 users