Intership in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpunkFish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody can recommend a "soft" intership in Manhattan?
I heard St. Vincent's is decent. Any other ones?

Members don't see this ad.

SpunkFish said:
Anybody can recommend a "soft" intership in Manhattan?
I heard St. Vincent's is decent. Any other ones?

Cabrini for Prelim. Medicine - I've heard that the brains of residents actually atrophy after a year there. Good place if you want to learn nothing.

st vincents is supposed to ROCK, so much so that when they gave me an interview date, they basically said i had to take that date or take nothing...too bad i couldnt take it..DAMMIT!

Members don't see this ad :)
I faced the same question a few months back... I am transitional at NY hosp. queens, & am very happy. I have freinds at st vincent's, & cabrini, & most of the other "cush" ny/nj places. I will tell you that the cushiest place in the ny metro area is NY hosp queens. I ranked it #1, as did 5 others from my med school class. you only have 5 call months, 4 months of electives (can do 2 away), never have to do night-float, but you benefit from those that have to do it b/c u get to leave at 10 when on call when night-float kicks in. my surg & mdcn months have been manageable, not bad.. and not much scut: dont do many bloods, IV's, ekg's etc. (i have yet to start an IV!!). also, know that both st vinnies & cabrini r not as cush as they once were (old rep.).. my buddies at these hospitals get scutted pretty hard.
FYI: my match list that i can remember (all TY yrs except cabrini for prelim):
1.NYHQ
2.st vinnies
3.st barnabas
4.the transitional hosp. in westchester (forgot name)
5.the other transitional place in NJ (forgot name)
6.flushing
7.cabrini
8.memorial sloan

Has anyone heard anything about the programs below?
1. Flushing transitional
2. Maimonides transitional
3. NYMC sound shore transitional
4. BI prelim
5. LIJ prelim
6. NYU downtown prelim

1. Flushing transitional: run down hosp., do 4 months of surg q3 overnight, 4 months electives. residents were a bit weird. middle of the pack for nyc metro area TY program.
2. Maimonides transitional: stay away!! is basically a surg yr, run through the surg dept, 7 you do like 7-9 months of surg. everyone in the TY program is a foreign grad, & you get worked like no human should ever be worked. On my interview, it was me & a bunch of foreighn grads & the attending told me "this may not be the best fit for you"
3. NYMC sound shore transitional: nice program, director is a super nice guy, residents were good, 4 months of electives. nice hosp., nice neighborhood.
4. BI prelim:?
5. LIJ prelim:?
6. NYU downtown prelim?