Interpretation of these practice descriptions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Beard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering applying for a FM preceptorship program in California for the summer after my first year. I was reading several of the practice site descriptions, and see several like the following:

Drs. W, X, Y, and Z are family physicians who practice at the only community clinic in Napa. Napa is located approximately one hour north of San Francisco. The practice is full-scope, including obstetrics, orthopedics, and surgery.

Dr. So-and-so and his partner have been in practice for the past 20 years. The Lakeport site offers a broad range of family medicine practice, including adult medicine, pediatrics, counseling, some surgery and orthopedics, as well as a birth center.

These are invariably in small towns, <10,000 people, as you might expect.

I'm curious, what do you suppose they mean exactly when they say "surgery" and "orthopedics?"

I'm going to write them and ask, and I'll post whatever responses I get here for those that are curious...in the mean time, any speculation from the board?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious, what do you suppose they mean exactly when they say "surgery" and "orthopedics?"

They may be 1st assist to a general surgeon on lap choles, etc. and may also do c-sections, D&C's, mole removals, and I&D's. Many rural docs do their own reductions and casting on simple fractures. Obviously, surgical ortho cases are going to be referred.

I wanna go to Napa!! Weh! :(

I wanna go to Napa!! Weh! :(

I hear ya! I'll go anywhere quiet...the longer I am forced to endure urban Southern California, the more "community of 3,000 bordering national forest" appeals to me.

From my admittedly naive perspective, what you describe sounds busy, demanding, but a lot of fun. :thumbup: