Interpersonal Interaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firik

Connection is the Key!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is it acceptable for a dentist to touch patient's arm with a hand, "especially if male dentist and female patient"? Is there a chance to get sued or other consequences?
The touch I am describing is a light touch in the region of arm when comforting a patient.
I was pretty surprised when someone mentioned about this (not a patient).
What other things someone should keep in mind about interpersonal relationship with a patient?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

These days, as a male you definitely need to be careful about who you touch. Even something innocuous as a light touch on the arm or nice compliment, can be misinterpreted as an advance or uncomfortable. Any time a male provider is in the room with a patient, another female should be in the room at the same time. Always. Keep things professional. That way there are no misunderstandings behind the meaning of things. This does vary from culture to culture. I speak more for the US where it is a very litigious society and anything can be interpreted as sexual harassment.

Reactions: 2 users
These days, as a male you definitely need to be careful about who you touch. Even something innocuous as a light touch on the arm or nice compliment, can be misinterpreted as an advance or uncomfortable. Any time a male provider is in the room with a patient, another female should be in the room at the same time. Always. Keep things professional. That way there are no misunderstandings behind the meaning of things. This does vary from culture to culture. I speak more for the US where it is a very litigious society and anything can be interpreted as sexual harassment.
Agreed.

I heard of a colleague who dropped a temp or matrix band down a women's shirt and stupidly tried to retrieve it who got in major trouble.

never work alone, and be cognizant of where your hands are going

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you guys understand, that in dental school, most of the time you work with a patient by yourself without an assistant.
I agree about cultural differences.
In short, I believe the power of touch makes a big difference in providing quality treatment. After all, the way the patient remembers you is by how you made them feel. I am not suggesting by touch I make the patient feel a certain way, but rather combination of all aspects in the appointment gives that impression; however, if I skip touch, then the circle is not complete creating a void.
I am a dental student and there are lots of things still to learn. As you know, interpersonal relationship is never taught to you at school, and after coming up with what I think is most effective is "not acceptable," then I am puzzled.

How is it acceptable for a dentist to touch patient's arm with a hand, "especially if male dentist and female patient"? Is there a chance to get sued or other consequences?
The touch I am describing is a light touch in the region of arm when comforting a patient.
What other things someone should keep in mind about interpersonal relationship with a patient?
Thank you!
Where our world came to? Regardless of sex - only touch hands, briefly. Stick to seniors. For all others - drugs and nitrous - best compassion

Reactions: 1 user
I hope you guys understand, that in dental school, most of the time you work with a patient by yourself without an assistant.
I agree about cultural differences.
In short, I believe the power of touch makes a big difference in providing quality treatment. After all, the way the patient remembers you is by how you made them feel. I am not suggesting by touch I make the patient feel a certain way, but rather combination of all aspects in the appointment gives that impression; however, if I skip touch, then the circle is not complete creating a void.
I am a dental student and there are lots of things still to learn. As you know, interpersonal relationship is never taught to you at school, and after coming up with what I think is most effective is "not acceptable," then I am puzzled.
There is a diagram of acceptable zones for a touch somewhere online. Arm is considered safe. I prefer to stick to hand and rarely forearm

Thank you!

Never unless you're taking BP on a patient but I don't see any other circumstances. You comfort the patient with words, never physical. Keep it above the chin/neck unless you're doing an extraoral examination or palpating lymph nodes/muscles as part of your comprehensive exam, but even then, you tell them what you're doing (before you do it) and why you're doing it, and always with someone present. Don't generate liabilities when you don't need to. Now, sometimes the patient who's really anxious will want to hold someone's hand and if they have no loved ones present, it can be an assistant, but only on the hand with gloves, and there should be two assistants (opposite gender from you, but more important if you're a male, that it's females) in the room + you. There is a double standard, and males need to be a lot more careful.

People are crazier these days. The world has changed and so have the rules of engagement + societal norms. Always err on the side of being conservative.

Reactions: 1 users
I did not even know that people would engage in any touch with a patient, I don't even use an extra-oral finger rest without first asking if it is ok. It is assumed that you have to interact witb the mouth, but even doing things like moving the chin to position the head, always ask for permission first, at least that is how I've seen and do work.

Touching another person is medicine.
Just as there is medicine that will heal there is medicine that can kill. A touch can heal and a touch can kill.
Medicine/touch given at the right time to the right person can improve their life. Medicine/touch given at the wrong time to the wrong person can destroy their life.
Just as a physician spends a lifetime learning which medicine to provide in just the right way to the right person, we can learn to use touch to heal and strengthen relationships. HOWEVER we need to do it wisely!!!!

(This is coming from a male dentists that has learned over many years how important touch is to people. PS. I even worked in a women's prison for a while and never got into trouble on this issue.)

Just so many rules. Sigh. Society has been heading this way for a long time. A discussion about innocent, compassionate "touching". At what point will there be a discussion about LOOKING? Seriously. If I innocently look beyond a patient's mouth .... sounds like there could be consequences. How about saying something that is interpreted as inappropriate?

Don't get me wrong. I get it. Litigious society. Patient rights. Human rights. Cancel culture?!?. But look where this is all headed. Pretty soon .... the patient will be isolated in a bubble. Dr. and patient will not know each other due to personal info protection. Patient's body will be completely covered with only the oral cavity exposed. The whole experience will be very impersonal, sterile. There will be no talking. Just a procedure that was booked online.

This is where society is heading. Impersonal commodity driven procedures. You think this is good for maintaining private, boutique type practices in the future?

Don't take my post too seriously. Just having fun.

As for the OP. Yep. Lots of good posts here. Just watch yourself. Right or wrong. Whenever I come into contact with patients .... I am always practicing defensive dentistry. You should also.

The discussion with feedbacks are great and helped me clarify a bit better.

@TanMan thank you for the advice. What liabilities are you aware of based on the topic? Don't know anything about liabilities.

@Saddleshoes thank you for the insight. This is why likely some avoid, while others prefer, rather than manage it based on the circumstances. "Do it wisely!" I would appreciate some hints or suggestions you have on how you been doing without any issues.

@2TH MVR thank you for understanding my confusion. In short, do it when certain, that some good relationship has been built.

Some, returned physical touch to me, including females. Afterward, solidified trust and confidence in providing care by me to them. This is based on the compliments I hear and them following my treatment recommendations. My point is ... touch with other aspects of interpersonal relationship works.

Honestly, you shouldn't touch people you don't know without permission. And coming from different culture, I know we touchy feely in a good friendly way, but since we live here, we abide by the rules or face misunderstanding or hard consequences. And especially since you are a male, as a female, I can't for sure say your intentions are pure if you touch me for non-medical reasons? I wouldn't know you are nice with pure intention, I would think otherwise maybe or at least be puzzled by it! Maybe I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if I was your pts for so many years and I know you are just being nice, but overall.. it depends on the doctor-patient backgrounds, years of knowing each others and finally, the kind of touch!
I sometimes wipe the pts face if they got impression left on them or when I put a bib on them or lead apron, I tell them I am gonna touch your hair and stuff.
You announce you gonna touch this area and the purpose. You can be loving and caring with words and tone. If you wanna touch a pt for comfort, why it's hard for you to ask for permission first?

Honestly, you shouldn't touch people you don't know without permission. And coming from different culture, I know we touchy feely in a good friendly way, but since we live here, we abide by the rules or face misunderstanding or hard consequences. And especially since you are a male, as a female, I can't for sure say your intentions are pure if you touch me for non-medical reasons? I wouldn't know you are nice with pure intention, I would think otherwise maybe or at least be puzzled by it! Maybe I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if I was your pts for so many years and I know you are just being nice, but overall.. it depends on the doctor-patient backgrounds, years of knowing each others and finally, the kind of touch!
I sometimes wipe the pts face if they got impression left on them or when I put a bib on them or lead apron, I tell them I am gonna touch your hair and stuff.
You announce you gonna touch this area and the purpose. You can be loving and caring with words and tone. If you wanna touch a pt for comfort, why it's hard for you to ask for permission first?
Jesus calm down

Reactions: 4 users
@Faefly good point, thank you. To answer the question, in my opinion, it would lose its meaning. For example, outside of our topic, let say a couple's anniversary is coming up and both of them are planning to surprise one another. It would be a much stronger interaction when a surprise is delivered, compared to letting one another know about it beforehand.
Back to the conversation. Yes, I ask permission when I am doing a head and neck exam or removing alginate around their lips. I agree, ask permission and tell the reason for doing something; however, the comforting light touch to the arm should be organic (based on the feeling and/or while the patient shares something meaningful).

Jesus calm down
I am calm as it can be. Don't touch without permission.. How hard a concept is that for you?
I am trying to protect this guy from being labeled as creep or be sued by a patient one day which happens sometimes.

When you start working you would. barely have enough time to pee, even less for useless explanations

If I were a patient, I wouldn't really want anyone giving me a "comforting touch on the arm." I understand your reasoning for wanting to do this, but I wouldn't unless you've built a lot of rapport with the patient and are sure they like/are welcome to this type of interaction.

As others have mentioned, if you are male, always a good idea to have another person in the room with you (if with a female patient) to avoid any he said/she said situations, especially in this litigious world we live in

I had a nurse told me that a patient's parent was mad because he touched her daughter's arm when making an injection.
Different people have different standards, so always ask when you're in doubt. Patients appreciate it because it shows your consideration. I touch patients only when it's necessary. Most of time you don't need to touch below the head and neck area. When patients are nervous, I'd comfort them verbally, instead of touching their arms.

Also mind your posture when doing procedures. I had male students resting their forearms on my chest (I'm a female) when doing a cleaning on me. Although I knew that they didn't do it intentionally, I felt little uncomfortable

Last edited: