internships/ residency and class rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mysterymare

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know internships and residencies are very competitive, and I know there are multiple factors that play a role in landing a spot in one. I know GPA plays a large role, but my school does class rank instead of GPA. Does anyone know the General range/ cut off for most internships/ residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

I know internships and residencies are very competitive, and I know there are multiple factors that play a role in landing a spot in one. I know GPA plays a large role, but my school does class rank instead of GPA. Does anyone know the General range/ cut off for most internships/ residencies?

Honestly, there is a lot of variability, especially between specialties....some tend to place more emphasis on experience in the specialty/externships/LoRs, some rely extensively on networking, some are more GPA-heavy...what areas are you interested in?

Last edited:
Can you not calculate your own GPA manually? I can't speak for all programs but I know that the internships and residencies at my school tend to look at GPA and class rank in tandem, so it would be nice to know both.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, there is a lot of variability, especially between specialties....some tend to place more emphasis on experience in the specialty/externships/LoRs, some rely extensively on networking, some are more GPA-heavy...what areas are you interested in?
Well I am still very early in my education so I'm not super sure yet. I have some interest in orthopedics and physical therapy. I'm also interested in just doing an ECC internship (non boarded).

Can you not calculate your own GPA manually? I can't speak for all programs but I know that the internships and residencies at my school tend to look at GPA and class rank in tandem, so it would be nice to know both.
We have a pass fail type system and to my knowledge cannot calculate GPA. Maybe this is something that is kept as internal information. I can ask someone and find out for sure.

Well I am still very early in my education so I'm not super sure yet. I have some interest in orthopedics and physical therapy. I'm also interested in just doing an ECC internship (non boarded).

We have a pass fail type system and to my knowledge cannot calculate GPA. Maybe this is something that is kept as internal information. I can ask someone and find out for sure.
I was told that for surgery, a GPA of 3.5 was acceptable and you should be in the top 25% of your class.

Okay I should definitely have over a 3.5 but I need to improve my a few positions to get into top 25 percent..... Thanks!

I was told that for surgery, a GPA of 3.5 was acceptable and you should be in the top 25% of your class.
Acceptable vs successful is key here.. Surgery residencies are crazy competitive. I've heard of people with very near 4.0's and a few years of surgical internship that still can't match. This is where networking comes in.

Definitely try to stay in the top 25%, but shoot higher if you can.

Acceptable vs successful is key here.. Surgery residencies are crazy competitive. I've heard of people with very near 4.0's and a few years of surgical internship that still can't match. This is where networking comes in.

I was considering attempting for surgery... but 3.5 GPA... :laugh:

I think I will stick with my thought of either doing ER or maybe shelter med. I don't know... I seem to change my mind every day.

Reactions: 1 user

Networking cannot be emphasized enough.

I was considering attempting for surgery... but 3.5 GPA... :laugh:

I think I will stick with my thought of either doing ER or maybe shelter med. I don't know... I seem to change my mind every day.
I wanted to do a residency up until semester 4, and then I just wanted to be done with school. 16 more months. Maybe I will return.. one day. But not for the near future. Trying to keep my grades and rank up just in case.

I wanted to do a residency up until semester 4, and then I just wanted to be done with school. 16 more months. Maybe I will return.. one day. But not for the near future. Trying to keep my grades and rank up just in case.

Yeah, I have thought about residency, but I kind of doubt my grades would allow it. I have also decided that I am so OVER living like a student and studying... yes, I know I won't make a ton of money upon graduation, but 60K>>>>>>> 29K and I can't do the whole 29K-34K for another 4 years (or longer)... I just can't. I am also interested in too many different things... I want to see variety, I don't want to be limited by a specialty... which is why Emergency is so appealing to me... variety, plus don't really "need" residency and the pay is actually fairly decent (depending upon area).

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I have thought about residency, but I kind of doubt my grades would allow it. I have also decided that I am so OVER living like a student and studying... yes, I know I won't make a ton of money upon graduation, but 60K>>>>>>> 29K and I can't do the whole 29K-34K for another 4 years (or longer)... I just can't. I am also interested in too many different things... I want to see variety, I don't want to be limited by a specialty... which is why Emergency is so appealing to me... variety, plus don't really "need" residency and the pay is actually fairly decent (depending upon area).
I agree, ECCM is pretty diverse and exciting. I would love to do it, but I love sleep too much. Also, the SO would be unpleased with me spending nights at work.

I agree, ECCM is pretty diverse and exciting. I would love to do it, but I love sleep too much. Also, the SO would be unpleased with me spending nights at work.

Yeah, I don't mind nights.. but I also don't have an SO currently... if I ever get one that opinion might change.. I don't know. I have also looked deeper into PSLF program... and it is quite appealing... I know that there is some current legislation that is showing it might get a cap thrown on it, but according to the way it is currently written that cap will only apply to those who have yet to start school... so those who have already started a school program would be grandfathered into the old PSLF program that does not have a cap... which is super appealing and I do enjoy shelter med as well, so it is something I would consider.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey now, not all specialties are limited per se. Path is almost the opposite of being limited. ALL the diseases, ALL the species, and you need to know ALL the things about the disease process from the cellular and molecular biology to the clinical signs and treatment (we just don't have to do said treatment, lol). I saw so many different animals and diseases in residency, it was mind-boggling. Then again, path is a special sort of beast. That's what attracted me to it.

I couldn't do just rads or just onco or stuff like that either (I don't mean "just" in an "oh, it's easy" way, more in a "well, that's all I would see"way).

Yeah, the pay isn't super. I was actually on the top end at 31k/mo. But considering I lived off of half of that through vet school, it was quite a lot in my mind. I lived quite well (loans in forbearance thought, obviously). I know the feeling, though. Thank god I am being paid on a psotdoc scale right now. I couldn't swallow being paid as a motherfecking grad student or something like that.

Hey now, not all specialties are limited per se. Path is almost the opposite of being limited. ALL the diseases, ALL the species, and you need to know ALL the things about the disease process from the cellular and molecular biology to the clinical signs and treatment (we just don't have to do said treatment, lol). I saw so many different animals and diseases in residency, it was mind-boggling. Then again, path is a special sort of beast. That's what attracted me to it.

That is because you guys are badass.... I actually REALLY enjoyed pathology... it would be rather awesome to do that forever, but I also like treating patients...

I couldn't do just rads or just onco or stuff like that either (I don't mean "just" in an "oh, it's easy" way, more in a "well, that's all I would see"way).

Yeah, the pay isn't super. I was actually on the top end at 31k/mo. But considering I lived off of half of that through vet school, it was quite a lot in my mind. I lived quite well (loans in forbearance thought, obviously). I know the feeling, though. Thank god I am being paid on a psotdoc scale right now. I couldn't swallow being paid as a motherfecking grad student or something like that.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing surgery and while there is variety (different procedures), I really like medicine too... I don't want to just cut the GDV, I want to also do all the medicine and support of the GDV prior to and after surgery.

I actually found an internship via VIRMP (while it was open) that had a pay of over 50K... :eek:
I was surprised and it was an ER focused internship. I could possibly apply for something like that and then I will have some experience prior to just jumping straight into emergency practice... but I don't know.. I just don't know what I want to do yet. Hopefully 4th year will give me some good idea.

Wait, 31K/month???? Really? I think you mean for the year. The problem for me with that pay isn't that it is low pay.. I mean I have been doing half of that for the last few years, but I can't continue to put loans in forbearance... they are already way too high. I also have a private loan that won't qualify for forbearance once I graduate.. I can get a 6 month grace period on that, but not another forbearance... so I will have that private loan to deal with on a measly salary while my federal loans continue to balloon up higher and higher... and they are already at an uncomfortable, scary as hell level.

Does anyone know if PSLF would apply to zoo med? It's a long way off, I know, but I'm curious, and I don't know exactly what the requirements are.

I know if the company is considered not for profit, then yes, it will count. There are some other things and requirements that count too, but I can't recall all of them.

Was looking at the VIRMP program listings the other day and noticed LSU wanted a recent (<5yrs) GRE score.

Nope, nope, nope, nope...

Was looking at the VIRMP program listings the other day and noticed LSU wanted a recent (<5yrs) GRE score.

Was it a combined residency+MS or residency+PhD program? Often those require admission to the respective graduate school in parallel with admission to the residency program, hence the GRE requirement.

Dumb, definitely. I had to do it for my residency :rolleyes: Like really guys....I got through vet school, I think that is a better measure of my ability to handle graduate level work than the GRE.

Was it a combined residency+MS or residency+PhD program? Often those require admission to the respective graduate school in parallel with admission to the residency program, hence the GRE requirement.

Dumb, definitely. I had to do it for my residency :rolleyes: Like really guys....I got through vet school, I think that is a better measure of my ability to handle graduate level work than the GRE.

That's what I was thinking, though most of the programs are combined with an MS and aren't being fussy about it. They made a point of saying the MS was optional too so...who knows lol.

I would hate to write that test again. Bleh.

This may or may not be where I will randomly comment on things I read on VIRMP and other related sites...

1. I feel like one night off per week and one weekend off every second month does not seem like much fun.

2. This added note on a listing was rather intriguing.... "Our program is a non-traditional format that does not work for every applicant. If the doctors and staff at ___________ do not feel that the internship applicants will fit with the practice, an intern will not be selected for that year."

I wonder what they mean by "does not work for every applicant."

This may or may not be where I will randomly comment on things I read on VIRMP and other related sites...

1. I feel like one night off per week and one weekend off every second month does not seem like much fun.

2. This added note on a listing was rather intriguing.... "Our program is a non-traditional format that does not work for every applicant. If the doctors and staff at ___________ do not feel that the internship applicants will fit with the practice, an intern will not be selected for that year."

It probably means it's a cult and they only accept the purest of souls

seems like a fancy way of saying if they dont like any applicants, they won't take ANYBODY

It means they are likely huge dinguses who have lost a lot of people in the past and are willing to not take anyone rather that risk their quit rate go up even more - it looks bad for business and they want to keep their reputation looking good so they can keep piling on more poor souls.

Some more quotes from this particular listing that I noticed.

"A team mentality and dedication to the higher goal is absolutely paramount"

" ...... the clinicians and staff at _____________ are careful to ensure that burnout is minimized as much as possible"

I suppose this is why you talk to prior interns, etc if you apply, though the internship coordinator is one of two listed.

Intriguing.

mor

" ...... the clinicians and staff at _____________ are careful to ensure that burnout is minimized as much as possible"

I suppose this is why you talk to prior interns, etc if you apply, though the internship coordinator is one of two listed.

Intriguing.
more support for the purple koolaide theory

Intriguing.
I'm telling you. Cult.

Is the GRE a stipulation for the matching ?! or just for admission to graduate school after matching, and you can send your score when you start the program ?

Is the GRE a stipulation for the matching ?! or just for admission to graduate school after matching, and you can send your score when you start the program ?

The requirement of recent GRE scores (with a minimum of 300/1100) was listed under "Requirements for Application" along with the standard VIRMP packet so I would assume it's a requirement for the match.

Best to ask them directly if applying is a serious consideration for you though.