Internship references/statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvm2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:) I just finished my first year of vet school and am considering an internship (small animal) in the future but would like to know what I am up against..Does anyone know of any books/references/etc that we can find this information..All I have heard is that it is very competitive but that is very vague to me and I feel a bit lost..I am interested in knowing if I have a chance of this in terms of GPA and other things I may have not even considered..Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

dvm2009 said:
Hello everyone:) I just finished my first year of vet school and am considering an internship (small animal) in the future but would like to know what I am up against..Does anyone know of any books/references/etc that we can find this information..All I have heard is that it is very competitive but that is very vague to me and I feel a bit lost..I am interested in knowing if I have a chance of this in terms of GPA and other things I may have not even considered..Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated!!:)

As far as I know, no such statistics book exists. VIRMP is where you go to enter the match programme. I think the VIRMP publishes a list each year of people who did NOT match, but nothing else. And that list is only given to the internship programmes themselves - not the students. It wouldn't include info about GPA etc. because students apply individually to the various institutions and never give this info to VIRMP.

If you want an academic internship - competition is stiff. If you want a private practice internship - you shouldn't have a problem unless you pick a REALLY popular one like Angell AMC (Boston), AMC (NY), or VCA West Los Angeles.

Just my two cents. I applied through the match this past year and wasn't matched, but I only applied to academic internships (pretty much all of them). I did manage to get a private practice internship after the match. I start in less than a month and I'm excited/scared.

birdvet2006 said:
If you want an academic internship - competition is stiff. If you want a private practice internship - you shouldn't have a problem unless you pick a REALLY popular one like Angell AMC (Boston), AMC (NY), or VCA West Los Angeles.

To clarify (and I appologize if this is a stupid question)....by academic I'm assuming you mean at universities? Is this correct?

Thanks

HorseyVet said:
To clarify (and I appologize if this is a stupid question)....by academic I'm assuming you mean at universities? Is this correct?

Thanks

Yes, at the vet schools. Sorry for the confusion.