Internship in the US, foreign student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vetran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a Vet student from Romania expecting to graduate this summer. My intent would be to do an Internship, either in Europe or USA.

My question is, do I first need an accrediation by AVMA to do an Internship in USA, or can I come, work as an Intern and after that get my accreditation to continue practicing as a vet in the USA ?

Looking forward to hearing your advices !

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that if you are doing an internship at a government-run institution (a public veterinary school), then you do not. However, if you are doing an internship in a private practice, then you do.

I could be incorrect but had friends from New Zealand, Australia and Italy with the same issue and that's what they went through.

Contacting someone at the AVMA would be your best bet. Good luck and congratulations on graduation!

My question is, do I first need an accrediation by AVMA to do an Internship in USA, or can I come, work as an Intern and after that get my accreditation to continue practicing as a vet in the USA ?

The AVMA accredits schools, not veterinarians. In the US, the practice of veterinary medicine is under the authority of the individual state. Some states allow you to practice at a teaching hospital without requiring you to have a license. However, other states don't have this exception in which case you have to have a license even at a VTH.

The details regarding what you have to do to get your license depend on whether or not the school you got your degree from is accredited by the AVMA or not. Whether or not you did an internship is usually not a factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies ! My immediate intent after I graduate is to do the Internship in an modern, competetitve, and challenging emvironment as I know the majority of US veterinary practices (gov or private) are. If I fit in good, and would like and be able to continue practicing in the US than I will consider taking the licence (if this is possible, as I understand till now). To further clarify this, I will ask for an 'official' response, as alliecat suggested.

I think you technically can work as an intern in an academic setting (at a vet school), but you would have to compete for positions with students who are license eligible in the US and that probably won't be an easy task.

It surely won't be an easy task indeed ! But it deserves a try.

I think a realistic perspective is important. There are probably 100 spots for small animal rotating internships at US vet schools - and vet schools are the only places you will be able to legally work without a valid US license. The least you can do to make yourself competitive is to go through the process to become licensed in the US. Just because it is technically legal for you to work in a very limited context without a valid license does not make it a practical option. If you want to try it's not a crazy thing to attempt. Just have a backup plan.

To be honest, coming for an Internship to US is now the backup plan. Not because I don't enjoy the idea, quite the opposite, but because as you said, I have to be realistic and weigh my chances against US Vet students.

At this moment I would very much like to continue studying in Europe (maybe Nordic countries), the thing is that, on the old continent, the Internship programmes are not that wide spread, there is no "matching program", and I have to look and send mails at every private/university hospital I can find on the net. And that without any of this hospitals advertising for Internship programmes. Many don't even know what I am talking about !

From my knowledge, comparing with the US system is only the UK, and to practice in the UK, again, I need a license...

If an internship is definitely what you want, then pursuing licensure in the US might not be a bad option. It can be done, and completing clinical rotations at a US vet school would give you more insight into the US system and tell you whether or not practicing in the US is something you may really want to do. With US licensure, you would be able to compete on the same terms as a US graduate for the large number of internships that are available. I do believe it's a fairly expensive option, though.