international volunteer organizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the major organizations that go to other countries to provide PRS care (e.g., cleft lips & other congenital deformities)?

Are they currently oversubscribed or undersibscribed? I.e., is it difficult to get to work with them, or is it just a matter of asking?

Thanks!
b

Members don't see this ad.

Operation Smile comes to mind...I don't know how difficult it is to start working with them, but I imagine they'd be happy to have folks that are well trained..

Doctors without Borders probably employs PRS docs, but I'm not sure how frequently...an excellent organization

Most of the PRS docs that I've been in contact with regarding international medical missions have been part of a long-standing institutional-based mission where a staff member or two go down to wherever for a couple of weeks per year and operate...i know of a few residents that have gone while in training...an excellent opportunity I would think..

There are some interesting criticisms of these medical missions, which I won't go into here, but certainly are valid....the lack of experienced after-care is an obvious problem...

TNS

Another such group is Medical Missions For Children, which I believe is partially unique in that it has dedicated follow-up in most locations but is not entirely university-based.

There certainly are many volunteers (surgeons, residents, nurses, etc...)who travel and work for these organizations, but these groups are always looking for more help - as the demand is so high.

KRE

Hard to go along on a PRS trip unless you are either a upper level plastics resident or surgeon who has completed training. Nurses go, as do PA's and scrub techs, although only a few of each per trip. Med students go if they apply over a year in advance for that one spot, or if their parent is a PRS (or some other really obvious "in")

There are other medical mission organizations that will allow you to pay your own way to work in a hospital in another country - like a friend of mine who did general surgery in Tanzania (assisted only) during medical school. Several opportunities to learn foreign language and get clinical experience in a foreign country, for about $1000 + travel expenses.

Good luck.

Krebb15 said:
Another such group is Medical Missions For Children, which I believe is partially unique in that it has dedicated follow-up in most locations but is not entirely university-based.

There certainly are many volunteers (surgeons, residents, nurses, etc...)who travel and work for these organizations, but these groups are always looking for more help - as the demand is so high.

KRE