International status affects residency apps??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluj126

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international applicant (went to Ivy UG in the US) and I applied broadly for MD PhD programs as well as MD programs in the US. I have been on 5 MD PhD waitlists and have an MD acceptance, but at this point I have confirmation from 3 of those MD PhD schools that they won't be taking anyone from the waitlist.

I want to become a physician scientist, and my position is not the worst to be in, since I at least have an MD acceptance.

My question however is whether my international non-resident status is going to continue being a disadvantage when I am applying for residency 4 years down the road, especially the PSTP ones. Because if that is the case, it makes me a little wary of biting the bullet to pay full tuition for 4 years.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

My question however is whether my international non-resident status is going to continue being a disadvantage when I am applying for residency 4 years down the road, especially the PSTP ones. Because if that is the case, it makes me a little wary of biting the bullet to pay full tuition for 4 years.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I've been looking into residency programs and it seems that most will only offer the J-1 visa. Depending on your citizenship, this may (or may not) be a problem. For example, Canada only issues a small number of "significant need" letters, and you have to match into one of the residencies that Health Canada decides that they "need". As long as you plan to match something Canada needs (and the list does change), then you won't have a problem. Here's the list for 2016: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/postgrad-postdoc/cat_b-list-liste-eng.php

@nonamesleft I am a non-Canadian International. In what circumstance would a J-1 visa not be sufficient? Wouldn't it allow me in the US as long as I am part of the residency program?

@nonamesleft I am a non-Canadian International. In what circumstance would a J-1 visa not be sufficient? Wouldn't it allow me in the US as long as I am part of the residency program?

It's not that J-1 isn't sufficient. It's that Health Canada won't give you the letter you need to obtain a J-1 unless you match one of the programs they define as "needed".
For non-Canadian internationals, I'm not sure how the requirements work. The J-1 visa has a max 7 year limit though..