International Plastics/Uro/Ortho/ENT residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unregistered

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it is difficult to match in Plastics/Uro/Ortho/ENT in this country, how hard (and what is the process) if one of us US med grads wanted to do a residency overseas and then come back and practice here in the good ol USofA?

Are there any websites that list overseas residency positions? Are these more/less competitive?
Anybody got any stories?

I've already looked into the Canadian one www.carms.ca. Any other countries?

all info appreciated. gracias. gratzi. danke. thanks. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Essentially undoable. Although I am not aware of current regulations, as of 4 years ago to be BE/BC in nearly ANY surgical specialty you need to have done your residency training in the US.

Obviously there are many US faculty/private practice surgeons whom did not do so. And you don't need to be BE/BC - however, try and get Medicare to pay you when you aren't, or try and be hired at a big name practice or institution. It just won't happen.

When I was considering doing the same, I spoke to some foreign trained (medical school and residency) physicians - both in Ortho and PRS. ALL of them had been made to REPEAT their residency here in the US.

Do some more checking to see the current status but as far as I know, it is not a valid route of training.

OP:

I'd second Kimberli's comments and add an additional perspective - while one may consider going outside the US for residency and fellowships (especially for competitive residencies), you have to realize that just as US residencies prefer "their own", so to do foreign programs as well.

In addition, many foreign programs require much longer training. I'll take ENT for example (as it is what I'm interested in) - In Australia, to become a fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons as an ENT, one must first do a rotating internship (1 year), basic surgical training (2 years), sit the basic surgical training exam, and then apply for ENT training (which is 4 years) - mind you that ~30-40% progress to advanced training after passing the BST exam and currently there is a 3-4 year wait list to get into ENT. Thus one is looking at 1+2+3+4 (Read 10+) years to be an ENT after completion of medical school.... And then must deal with transferring training back to the US - as a non BC/BE surgeon.

The training here in the US is definitely more accelerated. If you desire to practice in the USA, I find it quite difficult to justify training elsewhere. Similarly, if one wishes to practice in the UK/OZ or elsewhere, it is best to do postgraduate training there.

That being said, I do think that advanced (ie fellowship) training abroad has its advantages - indeed once at this level it is best to train under someone who possesses the skills that you seek to achieve. Of course, after having completed a US residency, BC/BE will not be an issue, regardless of where the fellowship was undertaken (although I could be mistaken).

Hope this helps.

With kind regards,

Airborne

Members don't see this ad :)
Take home message: get your core training in the country where you plan on practicing.

True, fellowships are more flexible. It's very common for people to do hand in Melbourne or craniofacial at Necker in Paris, but they've done their core PRS in the States.

Speaking of Australia, what is the lifestyle like for a surgeon who has made it through his/her training? I've heard that Australian surgeons reportedly have it very good in terms of hours worked per week in comparison to the rest of the world.