Internal Medicine Shelf Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purple100dee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just wanted to start a new thread for internal medicine shelf studying. For those who have taken the IM shelf this year, how was it? What advice do you have for students who haven’t taken it yet? What books and resources did you use and what did you ultimately wind up scoring? Anything is helpful! Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Following. Currently in IM. We got cut back from 10 weeks to 8 weeks. Feel like this rotation should be 12 weeks with the amount of info needed to learn...

Reactions: 1 user
As much UWorld as you can. Anki for every question you get wrong or get lucky on. Eventually you start to notice patterns and get better at the illness scripts. I watched OME + divine during commutes and exercise

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Uworld is a behemoth for this shelf just by itself. I only anticipate getting through 750 to 800 questions out of the 1000 IM questions that I started with this block. Completely skipping endocrine and infectious diseases and am solely relying on my Step 1 knowledge for those subjects. Thankfully my school is P/F rotations in case I somehow get hit with an endocrine heavy shelf. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ill pray for you. Don't know how that makes any sense when internal med makes up like 60-70% of step II. It also makes up like 33% of uworld.
Thank you, it's certainly a wild ride. No wonder I have a low UWorld average :lol::cryi::1poop:. I calculated the #questions/day and it's not looking good for me for finishing the block before the shelf. Better luck to you!

Thank you, it's certainly a wild ride. No wonder I have a low UWorld average :lol::cryi::1poop:. I calculated the #questions/day and it's not looking good for me for finishing the block before the shelf. Better luck to you!

n=1 But if you're looking for efficiency, you could always do question by systems. I find it faster this way and better for building off concepts but comes at the cost of not replicating test taking conditions. However, you always have practice NBMEs to replicate test conditions. Also, I think pulm, GI, renal, and cards is pretty much all I'd do if I only had 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Following. Currently in IM. We got cut back from 10 weeks to 8 weeks. Feel like this rotation should be 12 weeks with the amount of info needed to learn...
Ours is only 4 weeks inpatient ! Because we do longitudinal integrated clerkship .