Internal debacle

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDR467

Reaction score
Anyone here think about leaving optometry for medical school or know anyone who ended up making the switch?

Members don't see this ad.

It is difficult but it is possible.

What would make you want to switch?

I think I’m more interested in the surgical aspect of medicine and want to work with my hands. The type of training we receive in optometry school seems like basic stuff techs can do. Plus I feel like there’s a serious gap in knowledge I would like to fill.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I’m more interested in the surgical aspect of medicine and want to work with my hands. The type of training we receive in optometry school seems like basic stuff techs can do. Plus I feel like there’s a serious gap in knowledge I would like to fill.
Things to consider...

Time, if you truly want to do a surgical field it may take another 10 years or so all in. If you have student loans that interest rate will be compounding during that time.

Being a surgeon is not guaranteed. Especially if you are thinking Ophthalmology. The top candidates in each medical school class will be vying for those spots so you better be near the top.

For pay you can still make a good living as a private practice owner. I make more than most PCPs and I probably work less hours.

Optometry is what you make of it. If you go and work commercial refracting all day you probably wont' be happy. If you are owner at a busy medical practice you can do quite well and stay very busy and be fulfilled.

We have a very good friend that matched their dream position in plastic surgery at a top institution and got a great fellowship and were miserable the entire time due pretty much living in the hospital for the past 10 years and missing the prime of their life. I think they overall regret going into a surgical specialty. So sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

**Go to the reddit forum on r/Residency and it is pretty doom and gloom over there. I know most happy people don't post and it is mostly just unhappy people venting but jeesh their stories of misery matches my friends story of hating their life.

Reactions: 1 users
My feeling is that if you go into medicine, it's really only worth it if you specialize because even if your life is miserable, you can't turn down that kind of money.

If you are in family meds, then I think dentistry, optometry etc. can be a better career. The money starts to be comparable, and I think the quality of life is better.

Reactions: 1 user
Percyeye gave good advice.

Ophthalmology is extremely competitive so you would be taking a big leap of faith if you dropped OD school to go to med school in hopes of becoming an ophthalmologist. It's not impossible but just be aware of what's ahead.

I have optometry friends who do extremely well, money wise, so the chance to earn a great living is definitely there. Many medium to small sized communities have a lot of older ODs so they are looking for help from the newer ODs to take over and prosper.

Also, there's a good bit of variety in what type of practice you choose. A few of my OD friends practice within a larger cataract group and are basically medical ophthalmologists......they don't do surgery/lasers but they help manage almost everything else that comes thru the door

Reactions: 1 users