international optometry equivalency

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majd.ismail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

I am an optometrist graduated from outside USA , I am planning to move to USA and work there as an optometrist.
i have to get sponsorship first and get through the exam , but the board has come up with new law that starting from 1-1-2018 the board will no longer give sponsorships to internationals !!
do I have to study optometry all over again ? any suggestions ?

Members don't see this ad.

hello
I am an optometrist graduated from outside USA , I am planning to move to USA and work there as an optometrist.
i have to get sponsorship first and get through the exam , but the board has come up with new law that starting from 1-1-2018 the board will no longer give sponsorships to internationals !!
As far as I know, the US has NEVER granted licensure via the route you describe.

To practice in the US, you need to have graduated from an accredited optometry school and pass all sections of the NBEO board exams.
At best, you might be granted advanced standing in one of the schools.

I believe Canada has a route for foreign-trained optometrists to get licensed more rapidly.

hello

We are on the same boat. Were you able to find a sponsor for you to sit and take the NBEO exams? I would like to know your experience if you may. Thank you very much :)