Intern License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jive Turkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be staring a prelim year at a hospital in Michigan and I am concerned about whether or not I need to have passed step 2 to begin my internship.

I know a lot of you will scoff at this post, but here's my dilemma. I would prefer to wait till june (just before internship starts) to take my step 2 because I really feel I need more time to study in order to ensure that I pass. I am worred tho, that I might need to have passed step 2 before I can begin my internship. In which case I'd have to take the test asap so that the results can get in on time. I am worried because if I take it now, I truly don't feel 100% confident that I'd pass.

I got a "I'm not sure, but probably you do need to pass it" answer from the chief residents and the coordinating secretary at the hospital I'll be working at. So I tried calling the state license office, and they said you don't need to have passed step 2 for an intern license.

Can anyone here verify what the deal is? If someone who knows the Michigan laws that'd be terrific. Or can anyone share info on other states (maybe to help me just get an idea).

Thanks a heap.

Members don't see this ad.

As I am sure you know, it varies from state-to-state. The board of registation in medicine in Michigan probably has a website you can check out. Either google search it or go to the Federation of State Medical Boards (www.fsmb.org I think) and follow the link to Michigan.

How does the intern license stuff work anyway, do programs apply for their interns or do they have the interns apply for and present it b/4 july 01.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey JT,

this link will tell you the specifics laws in regards to testing and licensure in Michigan:

http://www.state.mi.us/orr/emi/admincode.asp?AdminCode=Single&Admin_Num=33802301&Dpt=CI&RngHigh=

(if that doesn't work, go to http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7-154-10568_17671_17681---,00.html and click on "Administrative Rules"

their law states that in order to get a license to practice medicine in the state of michigan, applicants should have completed a testing series (i.e. USMLE steps 1 to 3) AND at least 6 months of internship. There is really no such thing as an "intern license".

In terms of "do you require step 2 to begin internship" - it depends on your hospital's bylaws. At my institution (in NY), for example, completion of step 1 and 2 is required to be an intern, and everyone SHOULD have taken step 3 by the time they start second year. it's not a nys requirement, but is in the by-laws of my medical center...to get licensed in ny, you need steps 1 - 3, and completed 1 yr of internship. this, as mentioned previously, varies from state to state. your chief residents need to do a little bit more research for you, or just email your program director.

I would tell you that step 2 and step 3 are NOTHING AT ALL LIKE STEP 1 and are actually quite "easy", or at least "not as hard". Use the NMS review book for step 2, do the CD rom that comes with the USMLE application materials, and Swanson's family practice for supplement (for step 3 as well) and you'll be just fine. the score means very little once you are in a program, and a pass is a pass.

hope this helps.

Originally posted by zontal
How does the intern license stuff work anyway, do programs apply for their interns or do they have the interns apply for and present it b/4 july 01.

okay...this really does vary from state to state. i'll tell you what i had to do in ny. i am an "AMG"...steps may be different for FMG/IMG.

1. get into residency (self explanatory). prior to starting pgy-1 yr, I had to already have passed usmle step 1 and step 2.

2. start internship. in NY you can't apply for licensure until you have had at least 6 mo of internship, and you can't get a license until you have completed internship.

3. 3/4 of the way through my internship i got a packet from my program administrator - a set of license applications. reading through the fine print i realized i also had to download the application to step 3 from the usmle website.

4. i had to apply simultaneously to the NYS Medical Board for licensure AND to the NBME to take step 3. the applications are a bit of a bear and there is lots of money involved. :(

5. after i sent in both applications, i sat and waited. the NBME asks the NYSMB "do the credentials for this applicant check out, and can we send him a testing permit". the NYSMB goes through the application (in a cursory fashion), including verification of med school et al, and gives the NBME the "go-ahead" to send a testing permit

6. once i receive the testing permit i scheduled step3, and took it (really a piece of cake people, don't stress it...the toughest thing is finding two consecutive free days to take it) internship continued...

7. it takes about 4 weeks for step 3 to be graded. once it is graded, the NBME sends the score to the NYSMB. once the scores are in, they go over the application in total, and if all the proper forms are in and the scores are good, you'll get your license and registration certificate shortly in the mail. most of the time they lose a piece of paper, or your med school doesn't send in the verification form, or you apply TOO early in intern year...then the process comes to a grinding halt until the missing paperwork is sent in...in NY you generally won't know anything until you realize it's been 4 months and you don't have your license yet...then you call someone really cranky in Albany and find out the dealio.

the whole process took a few months, and i did it all on my own. expect to shell out (at least in NY) over $1000 in this process.

hope this is helpful.

Originally posted by Jive Turkey
I'll be staring a prelim year at a hospital in Michigan and I am concerned about whether or not I need to have passed step 2 to begin my internship.

I know a lot of you will scoff at this post, but here's my dilemma. I would prefer to wait till june (just before internship starts) to take my step 2 because I really feel I need more time to study in order to ensure that I pass. I am worred tho, that I might need to have passed step 2 before I can begin my internship. In which case I'd have to take the test asap so that the results can get in on time. I am worried because if I take it now, I truly don't feel 100% confident that I'd pass.

I got a "I'm not sure, but probably you do need to pass it" answer from the chief residents and the coordinating secretary at the hospital I'll be working at. So I tried calling the state license office, and they said you don't need to have passed step 2 for an intern license.

Can anyone here verify what the deal is? If someone who knows the Michigan laws that'd be terrific. Or can anyone share info on other states (maybe to help me just get an idea).

Thanks a heap.

In Iowa, all I needed was my medical diploma to get a resident license.

To get a license to practice independently, such as for moonlighting, then you need to Pass Step I, II, and III.

I didn't take Step II until the Fall of my internship. Most places I applied to did not require me to pass step II before starting internship.

What conditions are you supposed to report on when you apply for your license? If the condition is under control and has been for 8 years or so, does it need to be reported?

On a lighter note, what months are the best months to take vacation and to take Step 3 (with enough time to retake it just in case)?? I am doing a prelim med year. Any impt electives that would help?

Thanks!