Interesting questions from rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of these were given to me yesterday. They are just examples of interesting questions from previous years. I pick up the answer key today, but it's just kind of "for fun".

1. Name the most potent H-1 histamine antagonist available in the US. What is the only FDA-approved dosage form for this drug as an anti-histamine in the US. Trade name?

5. Epidural therapy generally is limited by a maximum volume the space can tolerate per hour. What is generally considered the max rate for a continous epidural?

6. Why aren't preservatives used in pharmaceuticals for an epidural?

10. A physician puts her congested pt on Humabid LA, 1 q8h. After two days, she changes the dose to Humabid LA, 1 BID. What prompted the change? The answer applies to all expectorants.

14. Commonly, patients have true allergies to topical or infiltrate anesthetics. Name the two basic structural types of local anesthetics. Which group is more prevalent in allergies? Name an easy way to separate these two groups by nomenclature in their names. What local anesthetic is most often recommended for local anesthetic allergies?

Members don't see this ad.

jdpharmd? said:
Some of these were given to me yesterday. They are just examples of interesting questions from previous years. I pick up the answer key today, but it's just kind of "for fun".

1. Name the most potent H-1 histamine antagonist available in the US. What is the only FDA-approved dosage form for this drug as an anti-histamine in the US. Trade name?

5. Epidural therapy generally is limited by a maximum volume the space can tolerate per hour. What is generally considered the max rate for a continous epidural?

6. Why aren't preservatives used in pharmaceuticals for an epidural?

10. A physician puts her congested pt on Humabid LA, 1 q8h. After two days, she changes the dose to Humabid LA, 1 BID. What prompted the change? The answer applies to all expectorants.

14. Commonly, patients have true allergies to topical or infiltrate anesthetics. Name the two basic structural types of local anesthetics. Which group is more prevalent in allergies? Name an easy way to separate these two groups by nomenclature in their names. What local anesthetic is most often recommended for local anesthetic allergies?
1. Doxepin, Zonalon
5. 15 mL/hr
6. Neurological Damage
10. Expectorants in higher doses become emetics (nausea, then emesis)
14. Esters and Amides. Esters more commonly cause allergic reactions. Lidocaine is the most common recommendation (as the representative amide anesthetic) for ester group allergies. Names of amides have two "i" letters in the generic name, where esters only have one "i" (in the caine).

I haven't looked into these too much, but these were the answers that were given to me. Another one: "What is the pregnancy class of naproxen, and why?"

:thumbup:

Naproxen's pregnancy class is B until you the mother hits the 3rd trimester. At that point, it becomes a D because it could cause a constriction of blood to the baby from the mother due to PG synthase inhibitors.

This is common amongst all NSAID drugs