Interesting and Humbling Question About a Prerequisite Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wuweiismyway

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a problem: some DPT programs to which I am applying require Intro to Psychology and require that all prerequisites have been taken within 5-7 years of matriculation. I graduated with my B.A. in 2010, and my major was psychology. I took my Intro to Psych course in the Fall of 2006, obviously too long ago to meet the 5/7 year requirements of some DPT programs. All other prereq's I either took in 2010 or have taken in the past year as a non-degree student, but I have a dilemma about the Intro to Psych requirement.

Will programs declare me ineligible if my intro to psych is too old, even though in 2009/2010 I took several upper-level psych courses? I need to decide within the next two days, because of the deadline that I have in order to pay the tuition for an intro to psych course. Of course, if I don't need to take the course, then I would be happy to save the money. Then again, my intro to psych grade was a C, so retaking it would give a nice boost to my prereq GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

You can try contacting the each program you plan to apply to, but I agree that you will have to retake the course.

I have always wondered how programs look at this 5 year limit, seeing as a generally Bachelors degree takes 4 years. If you take a PreReq your first year of school, then apply to the program a year after you graduate, it's already been 5 years. I wonder if the look at the year you obtained your degree instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention -- I have repeatedly called and emailed the programs in question and they have yet to respond -- only voicemails and unanswered emails.

What schools are you applying to?

Why do you call this an "interesting and humbling question?"

I think you will have to retake this course. Do all the schools you're applying to only accept credits taken after a certain year?

If you have to retake it, then it shouldn't be too difficult. You will have to pay several hundred dollars and sacrifice your time, but money and time are the cost of applying to PT school.

Kevin

Some programs don't have a time requirement, but I will take the course anyway.

Last edited:
Is there any option for you to test out of it with an A or B. It seems like you could if you did a whole degree in psychology.

Even if not, it should be an easy A for you...you probably won't really even need to go to the class, you can probably just show up and take the exams...