Interested in neuro MD PhD with a heavy psych research background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hatuey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am an incoming senior interested in a neuro MD PhD. My specific research interests are in studying the neural substrates of externalizing behaviors, with a focus on addiction and aggression. I would like to explore the medical aspects of externalizing psychopathology to bridge the gap between this research and psychiatry. I have spent the last 2.5 years in two psych labs (one that focuses on substance abuse, another that looks at neurodegenerative diseases) and have agreed to spend an additional year as a post-bac student in one of them. I have really enjoyed my research experience thus far and have managed to get my name on a publication. During my gap year, I will be continuing to carry out my own project on a topic related to my research interests.

But here's the issue: Although I am interested in neuro (and will be graduating with a degree in neuroscience in addition to psychology), I do not have any actual research experience in neuro labs. Both of my labs are in the psych department and are ran by clinical psychologists. I agreed to spend my post-bac year in one of these labs because of the opportunity hone in on a topic of my choice and potentially first-author a publication.

I'm really not sure what to do about my lack of neuro research. I was thinking of taking a directed research course in neuroscience under one of my current PIs (I would spend the semester writing a lit review on the neuroscience of dementia), but I don't want to spread myself thin as I'm going to be spending a good chunk of my time conducting my own research in the Fall in addition to volunteering at a psychiatric facility. Last fall, under my other PI (also a clinical psychologist), I wrote a literature review on the neurocognitive factors that contribute to the development of externalizing behavior outcomes in childhood and adolescence. That's the most concrete research I've done though, and it was only for a semester. Any advice? Really not sure what to do.

TLDR; Neuro & psych major interested in neuro MD PhD, want to go into psychiatry. Strong background in psych, want to study the neurobiological facets of my psych research but have no neuro research under my belt.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're fine. People's research interests change directions over the course of a career. Your research experiences are related to your stated area of interest and you have put a solid amount of time into them. If you can discuss them knowledgeably and enthusiastically in an interview you will be completely fine. Nobody is going to care about the departmental affiliation of your PI. Just make sure scores/grades are in range.

I wouldn't sweat it. I did biochem/chem research in ugrad, applied to MD/PhD saying I wanted to do cancer bio, and now am about to join a neuroimmunology lab. This is perfectly normal and happens really frequently.