Interested in MSTP - Should I Upgrade My Undergrad Institution? (junior transfer)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted826437

Hello all,

I am currently a sophomore at a low tier, directional university. I am aware that undergrad institution is not particularly relevant for MD apps, but I have heard that is is NOT the case for PhD programs and maybe MSTP programs as well. Now, I do not personally feel that I am getting a significantly inferior education at my no-name school, when compared to my state flagship, but if the lack of undergrad cred is going to impact my MSTP prospects, I want to seriously consider transferring to a top 20-50 uni.

At my current uni, I have a 3.8 gpa going into the spring semester of my sophomore year, and I have developed 2 strong relationships with professors ( 1) my PI 2) honors college director/prof ). I have been a lab since last January, and have been researching ~25 hrs/wk since then. I will be presenting my research at a state and a national level conference this semester with a possible pub by July. **If I remain at my current uni, I will have an opportunity to spend a semester researching at a very prestigious research institution / hospital in my area.

So, with all this in mind, considering where I am at now, and where I want to go, what do you suggest that I do? If I can earn a 3.85-3.9 gpa at my no name school, score a 35+ MCAT, and build on my research opps, will the name hold me back?

Note: if I do transfer, I am not opposed to taking a gap year in order to buy my self more time to build new relationships/get involved in new research.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Name doesn’t hold u back. A high Gpa might seem less meaningful if u go to a low tier undergrad but u can support that with a high mcat ofc

If I can earn a 3.85-3.9 gpa at my no name school, score a 35+ MCAT, and build on my research opps, will the name hold me back?

I went to a "top private school" but am interviewing alongside plenty of people from flagship public universities. No, name of school isn't important enough of a factor to merit a transfer. Current applicant from a > top 100 school with plenty of love from the Top 10 and 20.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There are many good reasons to transfer but this is not one of them. As long as you bring the whole package (good, long term research experiences, evidence of
Productivity in the form of presentations/papers, good letters and strong numbers) you will perform well in the cycle. It sounds like you’re already 2/3 of the way there, so keep up the good work and make sure to study hard for the McAT!

Transferring from a CC to a R1 institution has the benefit of challenging you academically (harder/higher level courses) and provide you an environment with many more opportunities for research during the semester. It seems that you are making the most of your current opportunities, study for the MCAT and if you perform at 510+, you will have a chance to compete for MD/PhD positions. Your application should have 2000+s hrs of research labs (supported by strong LOR), and 100-150 hrs of physician shadowing (preferably a physician-scientist). However, you might need to do a one-year post-bac at NIH and score at 516+, to be competitive for top 20 MSTPs.