Interested in California residency program, will I have license issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kangaroo2020

Reaction score
I'm an out of stater interested in California residency program, specifically anesthesia. Unfortunately I have some red flags, including a misdemeanor public intoxication in 2012 and a DUI in 2017. After my DUI I made some changes, including substance abuse counseling and not drinking alcohol any further. I know I will have issues with licensing in the future, but I was curious as to California specifically. Is there any advice for how my situation will be treated? Would my training license application be dead on arrival, would I have a conditional license granted, or a full one? I don't think there is a way of knowing 100% but would appreciate advice, including how to possibly reach out to an attorney in California.

Basically I trying to get an answer so I can come to program directors with some reassurance, or for me to know that I should just not bother with California programs. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

This matters a bit whether you are an AMG or IMG. If you're an American Medical Grad, the training license is pretty much a rubber stamp. If you're an IMG, the "PTAL" is basically the full license application. The rules also changed this year (like, three months ago) though, so I don't know for certain.

I'm an out of stater interested in California residency program, specifically anesthesia. Unfortunately I have some red flags, including a misdemeanor public intoxication in 2012 and a DUI in 2017. After my DUI I made some changes, including substance abuse counseling and not drinking alcohol any further. I know I will have issues with licensing in the future, but I was curious as to California specifically. Is there any advice for how my situation will be treated? Would my training license application be dead on arrival, would I have a conditional license granted, or a full one? I don't think there is a way of knowing 100% but would appreciate advice, including how to possibly reach out to an attorney in California.

Basically I trying to get an answer so I can come to program directors with some reassurance, or for me to know that I should just not bother with California programs. Thank you.
I’m glad you are now sober, keep that up.

Reactions: 1 users

Hello friend,

I'm not sure what Raryn is talking about, but your status as IMG or AMG shouldn't matter in this process of getting a medical license. Both a limited and full license require a criminal background check to my knowledge, and I doubt they would have lower standards for issuing one over the other.

With that said, my understanding is that, in California, they take your criminal records and make a case-by-case decision regarding whether to grant you a medical license or not, and if you are denied a medical license, it can appealed. The most accurate advice can only be given by a lawyer since this is very much dependent of the nature of the crime and what you can do afterwards.

My understanding is that a single DUI should not prevent you from practicing medicine in California, but since you have an additional misdemeanor on top of that, I can't be too sure. I would presume that the changes you have made and only a single DUI means they are unlikely to deny you a medical license unless you are significantly misrepresenting to us the severity.

I would honestly wager what your biggest barrier would be PDs choosing not to interview you more than you having issues with your medical license.

If you are super concerned, I would reach out to the medical board of california by phone to ask about the process as well as any other major state you are considering applying to (such as NY) that like has similar laws.

Last edited:
Hello friend,

I'm not sure what Raryn is talking about, but your status as IMG or AMG shouldn't matter in this process of getting a medical license. Both a limited and full license require a criminal background check to my knowledge, and I doubt they would have lower standards for issuing one over the other.

Prior to Jan 1, 2020, the process was very different for IMGs and AMGs in CA. AMGs did not have to explicitly apply for a training license at all - in fact, there was no such thing as a training license. AMG residents with <24 months of training could just work, with their program simply submitting a simple form on their behalf. It's been a number of years but from what I recall fingerprinting wasn't even required. Only third year residents and higher had to submit forms for licensure - and for them, it was for the full permanent license.

IMGs on the other hand had to get what was called a "PTAL", which was more or less the entire full application for licensure - including fingerprinting and a criminal background check. They typically had to apply to get it many months before starting, because the CA board was notoriously slow and residency could not be started without it.

I'll take back what I said about this mattering today though - the reforms from earlier this year got rid of the PTAL and just made a new process for a training license for everyone, AMG and IMG included. Thankfully, it looks like the process is now to apply *after* you already start, as you have 180 days from the day you start residency to get it.

Prior to Jan 1, 2020, the process was very different for IMGs and AMGs in CA. AMGs did not have to explicitly apply for a training license at all - in fact, there was no such thing as a training license. AMG residents with <24 months of training could just work, with their program simply submitting a simple form on their behalf. It's been a number of years but from what I recall fingerprinting wasn't even required. Only third year residents and higher had to submit forms for licensure - and for them, it was for the full permanent license.

IMGs on the other hand had to get what was called a "PTAL", which was more or less the entire full application for licensure - including fingerprinting and a criminal background check. They typically had to apply to get it many months before starting, because the CA board was notoriously slow and residency could not be started without it.

I'll take back what I said about this mattering today though - the reforms from earlier this year got rid of the PTAL and just made a new process for a training license for everyone, AMG and IMG included. Thankfully, it looks like the process is now to apply *after* you already start, as you have 180 days from the day you start residency to get it.

Ah, I guess that is where the confusion stems from. I was only really aware of the process this year.

Substance abuse issues for a prospective anesthesiologist are a significant red flag. I don’t think anyone here can really answer your question as it will depend on AMG/IMG, med school performance, board scores, connections, etc.

But...while it’s great you are sober, you know that relapse is a risk and relapse as an anesthesiologist can be deadly. I’ve attended one of these funerals. It was a terrible tragedy but I didn’t know the individual well. I hope you’ve considered all that when you pick a specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
As noted, this year California is drastically changing its licensing process. Previously, there was no training license for AMGs and you worked under your own independent license starting as a PGY-2 (interns worked without a license, so only seniors or attendings could prescribe meds, order DME, etc). Now, three years of post graduate training will be required for an independent license. PGY 1-3 will now require a training license. This is a completely new process.

I doubt anyone on SDN will know how these convictions will affect your application, but I took a quick look at the new PTL application and they ask about all convictions including misdemeanors and traffic citations. The California Medical Board is both strict and slow, so there is a real possibility of having your application delayed. The new rules require having the PTL within a short time frame. I agree you should contact a lawyer with experience in medical licensing if you're invited for interviews to gain insight into how your situation will be handled.