Interest in Military Medicine/ Residency/ Career in Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahine172

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recent Interest Military Medicine but no idea where to start inquiring about the possibilities to be part of it.
Long story short... US IMG Medical Student just finished my preintership year (school 5th year to be exposed to US medical system) and recent graduate. STEP 1, 2Ck, 2 CS and Step 3 passed, ECFMG certified. Husband has been Active Duty for the past 8 years on the Enlisted side and I have grown interest in the military as part of the community that treats not only the soldier, veterans and dependents. Interest on Primary Care either Internal Medicine or Family Medicine. Is it possible to do residency in the Army specifically without previous HSPS scholarship or being an USUHS student? If that so, how the process will be? Or will be a plain impossible . Just weighting my options now before applying to the Main Match in the next cycle and spend thousands of dollars.

Thank you all in advance, Stay Safe
Very Respectfully

Members don't see this ad.

Recent Interest Military Medicine but no idea where to start inquiring about the possibilities to be part of it.
Long story short... US IMG Medical Student just finished my preintership year (school 5th year to be exposed to US medical system) and recent graduate. STEP 1, 2Ck, 2 CS and Step 3 passed, ECFMG certified. Husband has been Active Duty for the past 8 years on the Enlisted side and I have grown interest in the military as part of the community that treats not only the soldier, veterans and dependents. Interest on Primary Care either Internal Medicine or Family Medicine. Is it possible to do residency in the Army specifically without previous HSPS scholarship or being an USUHS student? If that so, how the process will be? Or will be a plain impossible . Just weighting my options now before applying to the Main Match in the next cycle and spend thousands of dollars.

Very Respectfully

Short answer: you cannot apply to the military internship match as an IMG.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Very Respectfully

Unfortunately, as an IMG.. you aren't eligible for HSPS or FAP pathway to commissioning.

Unless things have change, there should still be an option to join after completing your residency training as a civilian.

Best of luck