Institutional Action w/ Extenuating Circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liam314

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.8
I recently received an IA for cheating on an exam and there is a possibility that I will be hit with an academic probation (IA) or a written warning (does not go anywhere).
My grades and service and leadership have been stellar until the beginning of this semester, when I faced a sexual assault situation.
This situation really ruined my mental health, which led to me not being able to focus and failing numerous exams (abnormal), and led to me making this poor and uncharacteristic decision. I know an IA is a huge red flag to medical schools, and I never thought I would have been in this situaiton, but I also was faced with incredibly extenuating circumstances. I was wondering if this is the end of my medical school career, or could I explain this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All IA's must be reported: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
See page 27:
"You must answer yes even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted or expunged from your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition."
Italics, mine.
You will get an opportunity to explain.

Just wondering, if it isn't in any records, and you have gotten an action expunged, can medical schools find out you are lying if you put "No"?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just wondering, if it isn't in any records, and you have gotten an action expunged, can medical schools find out you are lying if you put "No"?

It's never good to lie. They will have ways to find out anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
My school has rejected candidates when they were inadvertently outed by letter writers who wrote things like "Umyo has progressed so much since the cheating incident".

As to the OP, his/her medical career is over if the IA for cheating is in their record. "Bad things happened to me, so I made bad choices" is an excuse, and a poor one at that.

Reactions: 2 users
You have to own it. Grow from it, and show it through action.

How far along are you in undergrad, and what action did your institution take?

Admission is not impossible with an IA, but lack of personal responsibility and issues that may have occurred later during your time in college could pose bigger problems.

"Another student had made a plagiarism error, which led to automatic dismissal from college. She appealed to her undergraduate school and wanted to make amends as she was extremely sorry for her behavior. She set about teaching others what she had learned and was appointed to the committee that assessed the honor code.

Her medical school application essay was very open about what happened and what she had learned. This student had a stellar application apart from that disciplinary action in her freshman year. She moved on and was given many interviews."

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...kes-weaknesses-in-medical-school-applications

"VT: Is there anything on a student’s application that would automatically disqualify him or her from being considered for the program?

Jessica: Nothing, other than a poor academic record, automatically disqualifies an applicant. We are all human and make errors in judgment, especially when we are young. I have had clients who were accepted to medical school despite academic dishonesty, institutional actions, and misdemeanors. As long as an applicant presents “mistakes” in the right way and can show what she has learned from an experience, these incidents are not always deal breakers. In fact, such mistakes can sometimes work to an applicant’s advantage if presented in the most effective way."

http://www.varsitytutors.com/blog/ask+a+medical+school+admissions+expert+dr+jessica+freedman

"VT: Is there anything on a student’s application that would automatically disqualify him or her from being considered for the program?

Jessica: Nothing, other than a poor academic record, automatically disqualifies an applicant. We are all human and make errors in judgment, especially when we are young. I have had clients who were accepted to medical school despite academic dishonesty, institutional actions, and misdemeanors. As long as an applicant presents “mistakes” in the right way and can show what she has learned from an experience, these incidents are not always deal breakers. In fact, such mistakes can sometimes work to an applicant’s advantage if presented in the most effective way."

http://www.varsitytutors.com/blog/ask+a+medical+school+admissions+expert+dr+jessica+freedman

What a shocking opinion from the founder of a medical school admission consulting service.

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly, I wouldn't bring any extenuating circumstances into it. I would as simply and briefly as possible state what you did. Then state that you take responsibility, have learned from it, and that it will never happen again. Keep it brief. Take complète ownership. Do not make excuses (that is a completely valid excuse but they will not want to hear it).

I did this for mine and it has not hindered my chances.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It can often appear in LoE's, usually in a effort to give context or emphasize subsequent growth.
When discovered though not disclosed, it is a deal-breaker.

GPA: 3.8
I recently received an IA for cheating on an exam and there is a possibility that I will be hit with an academic probation (IA) or a written warning (does not go anywhere).
My grades and service and leadership have been stellar until the beginning of this semester, when I faced a sexual assault situation.
This situation really ruined my mental health, which led to me not being able to focus and failing numerous exams (abnormal), and led to me making this poor and uncharacteristic decision. I know an IA is a huge red flag to medical schools, and I never thought I would have been in this situaiton, but I also was faced with incredibly extenuating circumstances. I was wondering if this is the end of my medical school career, or could I explain this situation?

A written warning would also be an institutional action.
If you have been accused of sexual assault and are going through a hearing on campus, if you are found culpable, that needs to be reported, too.

If you were a witness, or the victim, then you do have unusual circumstances that preceded the cheating BUT what it says to medical schools is that you lack the coping skills to handle a difficult situation with aplomb.

You are going to need to let a few years pass between this IA and your application. You are going to need to show that you have developed the skills needed to continue to work with integrity even when things are going badly in your personal life.

Reactions: 1 user