Instability of the shoulder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a 4th year european med student and I have a question! I have an anterior instability of my left shoulder and used to have subluxations during sports activities. But yesterday when I moved my arm upward I dislocated my shoulder and it didnt reduced spontaneously like before.
My question is: will surgery affect my arm mobility? My concern is I am interested in a surgical specialty and affraid that it can affect my arm mobility or strenght. Should I think about having the surgery?

Thanks for ur answers!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I am a 4th year european med student and I have a question! I have an anterior instability of my left shoulder and used to have subluxations during sports activities. But yesterday when I moved my arm upward I dislocated my shoulder and it didnt reduced spontaneously like before.
My question is: will surgery affect my arm mobility? My concern is I am interested in a surgical specialty and affraid that it can affect my arm mobility or strenght. Should I think about having the surgery?

Thanks for ur answers!

Sorry bro, asking for medical advice violates SDN terms of service...all I (or anyone else on this board) can tell you is to see a physician. One of the mods will close this thread soon.

dre is right. also, he uses only 5 mm long "training" scalpels with plastic guards that are incapable of going past the dermis, so I don't think he can help you here.

Members don't see this ad :)
dre is right. also, he uses only 5 mm long "training" scalpels with plastic guards that are incapable of going past the dermis, so I don't think he can help you here.

Ha! If you operated with me I promise you wouldn't be able to tell my postgrad year.

You're just mad because I called you by your real name on SDN.

Hi!

Thanks for ur answers!

Even though this goes against the forum, I'm gonna go ahead and give you some advice based on my own experience (primarily b/c I've been there...but as others have said, ultimately go see a physician). First off, do you have any idea of what is causing the anterior instability (it could be many things: stained/torn rotator cuff-although you'd know if it was the latter-, torn labrum, etc.)? Depending on the degree of instablity, you might be able to get away with an arthroscopic surgery (perhaps a thermal shrinkage of the capsule, removal of debris/inflamed tissue, etc.); however, if it's a full out dislocation/tear, you're most likely going to have to have an open surgery. The recovery periods vary greatly depending on which of the aforementioned operations you have to have (arthroscope: 1-2 months, open: 4-6 months). In regards to my own experience, I ended up tearing the glenoid labrum (which is the leading cause of shoulder instabilty in young adults/athletes) and had to have an anterior capsular shift (an open procedure in which the anterior portion of the shoulder is surgically cut, folded over itself, and sutured...thereby creating a tighter capsule). But ultimately, you're best off seeing an orthopedic surgeon and having him diagonsis the problem rather than sitting around self-speculating. Best of luck with getting it fixed and feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any further questions.

Last edited:
DrDre is correct. Closing the thread as these forums are not the place for medical advice or patient commiserations. We also recommend that the above poster remove their message.

Status
Not open for further replies.